Page 333 of 530 FirstFirst ... 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 ... LastLast
Results 8,301 to 8,325 of 13244

Thread: Ask the experts

Any thoughts on skinny bike shorts with a shorter inseam or easy to hem that function well around town but don't suck on a long ride.

My ideal is a twill like face but good stretch and can last at least a season without blowing out the crotch. Crucially, must come in a 28 waist.

My wife's friend owns a ~2008 Santa Cruz Butcher that is set up as a 2x10 with a huge aftermarket bash guard direct mounted to the cranks. The front shifter is dying and I'd like to put a new one on but can't tell if the shifter is a 2x or 3x since it bottoms out into the bash guard. My suspicion is it is a 3x but I'm hoping to figure out if the length of pull is the same for the 2x vs 3x front shifter. The shifter is a Shimano SLX that is probably original.

Anyone have a clue what I should look for?

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    My wife's friend owns a ~2008 Santa Cruz Butcher that is set up as a 2x10 with a huge aftermarket bash guard direct mounted to the cranks. The front shifter is dying and I'd like to put a new one on but can't tell if the shifter is a 2x or 3x since it bottoms out into the bash guard. My suspicion is it is a 3x but I'm hoping to figure out if the length of pull is the same for the 2x vs 3x front shifter. The shifter is a Shimano SLX that is probably original.

Anyone have a clue what I should look for?
    Thats the one with the funky swing arm that goes up and over the chainring?
    For the derailleur if you're only shifting the 2 gears, get the 2x derailleur. That one should be a "Top Swing, Low Clamp" 34.9 clamp... if I'm thinking of the same bike.
    Almost all of those Shimano shifters of that generation are both 2x and 3x comparable, so it will pull the right amount of cable for either a 2x or 3x derailleur.

some front shifters actually work with both 2x and 3x and have a little switch to block off one of the clicks. So, yeah, as far as i know about any mtb front shifter will work. And you can probably get one for free/beer money at any bike shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Thats the one with the funky swing arm that goes up and over the chainring?
    For the derailleur if you're only shifting the 2 gears, get the 2x derailleur. That one should be a "Top Swing, Low Clamp" 34.9 clamp... if I'm thinking of the same bike.
    Almost all of those Shimano shifters of that generation are both 2x and 3x comparable, so it will pull the right amount of cable for either a 2x or 3x derailleur.
    Yep that's the one. The derailleur is good still but the shifter lost the bottom cover so all it's internals are exposed. No idea wtf happened there.

Thanks for the shifter info

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Yep that's the one. The derailleur is good still but the shifter lost the bottom cover so all it's internals are exposed. No idea wtf happened there.

Thanks for the shifter info
    Super common problem from that era.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    Any thoughts on skinny bike shorts with a shorter inseam or easy to hem that function well around town but don't suck on a long ride.

My ideal is a twill like face but good stretch and can last at least a season without blowing out the crotch. Crucially, must come in a 28 waist.
    Prana Brion. Casual looking material, gusseted crotch and decently durable. Looks like they're 25% off right now. No shorts in the 28 waist but plenty of pants. Either them them to your preferred short length or leave 'em jagged cutoff style like the kids do.

https://www.prana.com/p/brion-pant-i...9771_color=Mud

What trail helmet am I?

Good coverage and venting for humid east coast
    Visor, preferably adjustable I think
    Sun glass storage - why isn’t this a thing for MTB helmets!?!?
    MIPS or equivalent

Options considering are;

Lazer impala or jackal
    Spec tactic (non adjustable visor) or ambush?
    POC tectal, kortal, axion
    Smith forefront?

What else should I consider?

Currently have a Lazer Impala that I like and doesn’t look damaged, but major crash means replacement JIC. Only thing I don’t like about it is no good sunglass storage, which is a ridiculous lacking design flaw in most trail helmets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if Shimano no longer includes the TL-FC41 tool with the XT m8100 crankset? I’m reading that they stopped including it sometime last year.

Eluder, if that’s the case, I may need to ask to buy one of your spares (unless your running low).

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    What trail helmet am I?

MIPS or equivalent

Options considering are;

Lazer impala or jackal
    Smith forefront?

Currently have a Lazer Impala that I like and doesn’t look damaged, but major crash means replacement JIC. Only thing I don’t like about it is no good sunglass storage, which is a ridiculous lacking design flaw in most trail helmets.

I'm really liking the TLD A3. Can store goggles with visor up, glasses with visor up or down. MIPS, deep coverage on rear. Vents well enough for me on humid NorCal coast. Has a little foam gutter strip just below the front padding to help redirect/soak up sweat that seems to work quite well.

Yeah I got an impala after I broke my giro montaro last year and the lack of being able to stick sunglasses in there bugs me. Otherwise I generally like how it fits and feels.

The Jackal I think does have a spot for glasses and is a little lighter and nicer and lazer is going from mips to "kineticore" which is a bunch of little nubs molded into the foam as a crumple zone instead of an extra sliding layer. So yeah for me if I get a new mtb helmet it's between the jackal, or a poc, or a bontrager blaze now that we have trek although it seems like the wavecel stuff might make getting glasses in there harder.

What trail helmet am I?

MIPS or equivalent

Options considering are;

Lazer impala or jackal
    Smith forefront?

In no particular order,

Bell Super Air R Spherical
    Giro Manifest Spherical
    Giro Merit Spherical
    Leatt MTB AllMtn 4.0

or a convertible FF like Leatt Enduro 4.0 (I have a NIB if you fit size M) or Bell Super DH Spherical. The Super Air R you can also add a chinpiece to.

I ride a Super DH without the chin for trail. My Leatt Gravity 8.0 just completely saved my noggin and got replaced with the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Thx for reco’s leaning POC or Lazer Jackal given good results w Impala. Will have to check the TLD and some of the Bell/Giro options which i haven’t owned in quite a while.

What trail helmet am I?

MIPS or equivalent

Options considering are;

Lazer impala or jackal
    Smith forefront?

Get the one that fits.

Perhaps some of you will appreciate this bit of information. The band clamp from my spare XT shifter fits nicely on the spare SLX I-Spec shifter (which I'm going to sell). I suspected it would, but it's nice to confirm and could open some options in these times.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220705_100149.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	420745Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220705_100451.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	420746
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I fucking love my Smith Forefront 2. Fits me a lot more comfortably than the TLD A2 I used to have. Both MIPS. Biggest downside is no sunglass storage. WTF? Intentional since Smith makes sunglasses and wants you to drop them and break them and need to buy new shades?

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    I ride a Super DH without the chin for trail. My Leatt Gravity 8.0 just completely saved my noggin and got replaced with the same.
    What’s the difference between the Gravity 8.0 and the Gravity 4.0?
    And what’s the difference between the Gravity 4.0 and the Enduro 4.0?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Get the one that fits.
    This, x1000

And in the “Things that annoy me” category: finding a place to try on multiple FF helmets. It’s one of those things I really need to put on before I pull the trigger. And a real PITA to return by mail.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    What’s the difference between the Gravity 8.0 and the Gravity 4.0?
    And what’s the difference between the Gravity 4.0 and the Enduro 4.0?
    Gravity 8 is basically their Moto 8.5/9.5 in a composite build, just slightly lighter (competitively light for DH helmet) but same design as the moto that meets DOT, FIM and the new ECE 22.06 standards. It has really good venting and 4 different foam density levels plus 11 shear/elastic bumpers (360 turbines, manage low speed impact and shear force mitigation (MIPS equivalent)). I ordered my replacement from a Euro shop because Leatt was out of mediums. This might be the safest DH helmet on the market, and last year they were DOT certing it, but decided not to pay for DOT this year. You could also just order a Moto 8.5 or 9.5 for basically the same price/weight. Comes with a nifty visor extender for rainy days!

I crashed overshooting the landing of this feature landing off screen left hard and fast, hit on the right side of the helmet:
    Name:  mudd-fade.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  436.7 KB

No loss of consciousness and minimal concussion symptoms lasting only an hour or two in a high energy crash that broke my scapula through the armor (very hard to do).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Helmet.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	696.8 KB 
ID:	420760

Leatt Gravity 4.0 and Enduro 4.0 are DH rated with 2 foam densities plus the 360 turbines. Enduro 4 is far better vented, little lighter weight, and is a convertible FF so it can be your trail helmet while the Gravity 4 is cheaper if you don't need the removable chinbar.

Get the one that fits.
    Name:  hesright.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  24.5 KB

Get the one that fits.
    Yep, hence my narrowed list of things I could try/buy locally. Doubtful I’m seeing a Leat helmet in person around here.

Leaning Lazer given I have a few around here that fit and should be able to try one on.

wow its almost like you have to buy the stuff in person without a discount code?

but seriously the best places to try gear is where people do the sport

whistler during the olympics was awesume for ski gear

for bike stuff the north shore in vancover is the birthplace of freeride and lotsa gear eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Fit is important, but fit can be found in many helmets and there are other important factors. I order the helmets I might want and return the ones I don't so that I'm not limited by what the LBS decides looks cool.

The LBS doesn't stock super safety oriented brands like Leatt, Kali, and 6D. They do have brands like Giro and Bell, but not necessarily the models/sizes I want, especially these days.

If I limited myself to the LBS I wouldn't have been wearing the helmet that saved my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbest Known Time View Post
    Prana Brion. Casual looking material, gusseted crotch and decently durable. Looks like they're 25% off right now
    I’d prefer your shorts 100% off

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I fucking love my Smith Forefront 2. Fits me a lot more comfortably than the TLD A2 I used to have. Both MIPS. Biggest downside is no sunglass storage. WTF? Intentional since Smith makes sunglasses and wants you to drop them and break them and need to buy new shades?
    The Forefront 2 has sunglass storage. You put the visor to the highest position and your glasses slide in (upside down) to the channel. Works well for goggle storage too (when you go full enduro).
    "Just send it you pussy."

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    Fit is important, but fit can be found in many helmets and there are other important factors. I order the helmets I might want and return the ones I don't so that I'm not limited by what the LBS decides looks cool.

The LBS doesn't stock super safety oriented brands like Leatt, Kali, and 6D. They do have brands like Giro and Bell, but not necessarily the models/sizes I want, especially these days.

If I limited myself to the LBS I wouldn't have been wearing the helmet that saved my brain.
    I would argue that a perfect fit does more for safety than fancy plastic widgets in the helmet. If the one that fits you perfect has fancy widgets, then that's even better.

Even within a given brand, fit will vary from model to model.