Page 253 of 524 FirstFirst ... 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,325 of 13088

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    The Reverb fits round (usually 7mm) and oval 7mm x 9mm carbon rails. (7 wide, 9 tall)
    Is your saddle a weird larger size, something larger than 7x9?
    it’s a brooks cambium c13, I am assuming it’s 7x9… seems to only fit on one side or the other. maybe I am doing it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Side saddle clamps? Like for riding like a proper 18th century woman? Cool!
    look all my riding clothes are petticoats so

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    it’s a brooks cambium c13, I am assuming it’s 7x9… seems to only fit on one side or the other. maybe I am doing it wrong
    Ya that saddle is an oval 7x9, it should work. Keep struggling with it.
    In all my years as a bike mechanic, I still struggle to find an easy or elegant way to mount a saddle in the seat post rails. I find it the most awkward thing ever, to the point where I'm actually self conscious if a customer is watching me mount a saddle, I fell that I look like I don't have a clue about being a bike mechanic.
    On a better note I just mounted 2 different saddles on the new FOX/RaceFace heads, which are super easy.

ahh ok well I’m glad it isn’t just me lol. to the garage, thanks!

it "fits" but there's a small asymmetry in the spacing between the clamps and the rails... the screw-side clamp is flush to the rail, and the other side has maybe 2mm of space. the top edge of the clamp is still holding the saddle in place, doesn't feel like it's going anywhere, but it's kinda sketching me out. fine, or I'm gunna die?
    Last edited by mall walker; 10-14-2021 at 06:41 PM.

btw whoever all recommended the oneup pump + EDC, thanks this thing is great. the EDC + my old multitool and there’s not a thing on my bike I can’t adjust in the moment.

be honest though who has lost the EDC by putting the pump on with that side down…? I will fuck this up some day and be sad

In all my years as a bike mechanic, I still struggle to find an easy or elegant way to mount a saddle in the seat post rails. I find it the most awkward thing ever, to the point where I'm actually self conscious if a customer is watching me mount a saddle, I fell that I look like I don't have a clue about being a bike mechanic.
    On a better note I just mounted 2 different saddles on the new FOX/RaceFace heads, which are super easy.
    Haha. Sweet, it’s not just me. For years I always tried to minimally loosen the clamps and monkey hump the saddle in, finally giving up and taking everything apart. Now I pretty much just start by taking the clamp pretty almost completely apart then Pat myself on the back…although now and then, I’m still like, “I got this one…” and commence unsuccessful monkey humping

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Ask the experts

I also fully disassemble the clamps now. My only “expert tip” is to add grease to the to the nuts/washers so they stay in place while lining up the bolts from below the clamp. You can usually get a few threads engaged without trying to squeeze your finger above the rail to hold down the nuts.
    Also the complete disassembly allows me to clean the rails, clamps and all hardware. 75% of the guys reporting “bottom bracket” creaks, it’s actually the saddle/seat clamp interface.

[<<<<<originalmootspost has entered the chat>>>>>
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I also find myself humbled by seatpost clamps on occasion. The best is the kind that has a bolt facing up--fine if you have a saddle with a cutout but woe betide those without.

Honestly some of the easiest ones I've used have been cheap Chinese ones with 2 bolts. Why do others keep trying to reinvent the wheel?

Now that the GF and I have our preferred saddles on all of our bikes (9 total), I hope to be free from this torment for the time being.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

yeah the reverb axs one is baffling to me. I like the 1 vertical bolt; almost idiot proof (me proof). 2 vertical bolts is an order of magnitude harder but I can manage it (the PNW droppers). but the side clamp style, oof… I’m apparently far too stupid for this.

I felt good about myself for undoing/redoing the bar wrap to remove the old cabled dropper and lever, and rewrapping it, with the gel pad under there, all that. how hard can it be to put the fucking seat on, I thought to myself. too hard for the likes of me, apparently.

When I worked in a shop, usually if a seat was creaking it was because the bolt on a single bolt seatpost clamp was cracked and about to snap, so not a fan of that design, but certainly easy to install the saddle on.

Two bolt clamps where one of the holes is slotted can often be installed without taking bolts fully out.

Worst I’ve come across is the old USE Alien that’s still on my road bike. Pain to install initially, and continues being a pain every time you want to adjust saddle position.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Worst I've come across is the old USE Alien that's still on my road bike. Pain to install initially, and continues being a pain every time you want to adjust saddle position.
    Those suck so bad. Awful to work on.

The newest Fox clamp is absolutely genius. Hands down the best design out there.

Definitely favor 2 bolts as mentioned, set the front or rear just ever so slightly high and tighten down the other to perfection.

Bought a TransX for my hardtail that had T30 hardware? What a f'ing terrible idea, who of us has a torx, much less a T30 on their multi-tool? Fine for the workshop, but have definitely had a seatpost slip a bit after first few rides and/or lazy wrenching in the first place. Had to ride home mostly standing as I couldn't tighten it. Probably could have crammed a 4/5mm in was close enough to just ride home for proper tool

Just googled that new Fox clamp. FINALLY someone actually improves that connection….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    ahh ok well I’m glad it isn’t just me lol. to the garage, thanks!

it "fits" but there's a small asymmetry in the spacing between the clamps and the rails... the screw-side clamp is flush to the rail, and the other side has maybe 2mm of space. the top edge of the clamp is still holding the saddle in place, doesn't feel like it's going anywhere, but it's kinda sketching me out. fine, or I'm gunna die?
    Be careful with that. On my road bike (2012 Trek Madone 5.9) has a proprietary Trek seatpost (slides onto the *outside* of the seat tube - go figure). It came with a standard-seat-rail clamp. I got a Fizik seat with carbon rails, which are some kind of oval (dunno what size), significantly different size/shape than standard metal rails. The owners manual was adamant that if using carbon rails, I would need to order different clamp parts, or risk breaking the carbon rails. Which could suck (possible cycle-sodomy!)

The shop guys here seem to know what they're talking about, but your description does make it sound sketchy.

I may just shamefully ask my LBS to screw the stupid thing on properly

Been there on the shameful approach. I took my cross/gravel bike into shop as brake caliper bolt was stuck in my carbon frame, didn’t want to botch that. Meanwhile was mortified w my bar wrap job with the really thick lizard skin tape, that’s notoriously PITA to get right. Excuses galore as I dropped it off and mechs took pity on me agreeing with this tape being challenging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2156.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	891.3 KB 
ID:	389128

Name:	IMG_2157.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	934.0 KB 
ID:	389129

Name:	IMG_2154.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	904.3 KB 
ID:	389130

left rail is the bad one…. wdyt. I can't get it to not be like that for the life of me. feels fine riding around the block but...

3:15 is where saddle install starts. This link starts at 3:15
    https://youtu.be/K0-UDPA0c-0?t=195

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Be careful with that. On my road bike (2012 Trek Madone 5.9) has a proprietary Trek seatpost (slides onto the *outside* of the seat tube - go figure). It came with a standard-seat-rail clamp. I got a Fizik seat with carbon rails, which are some kind of oval (dunno what size), significantly different size/shape than standard metal rails. The owners manual was adamant that if using carbon rails, I would need to order different clamp parts, or risk breaking the carbon rails. Which could suck (possible cycle-sodomy!)

The shop guys here seem to know what they're talking about, but your description does make it sound sketchy.
    I have an Emonda with the same seatmast design. Its side clamping style definitely needs to fit the profile of the rails. I have the carbon specific clamp for my S-Works Romin, and it's a way different shape. Clamping down hard on oval carbon rails with the round profile clamp will crush them and, of course, YER GUNNA DIE!

Saddle clamps that support the rails from below and clamp from above can be used with carbon rails without concern.

The Reverb appears to have a side clamp that can move up and down to accommodate oval rails and has a separate screw for tilt. Very clever. It seems like it should work with the saddle in question, but I agree that the photos don't look right.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

can anyone give me a "yer NOT gunna die" on this? I mean it's pretty close right

the reverb axs is so nice... action is perfect, 150mm is perfect, no cables... but I am SO LAZY and don't want to swap saddles or get help or any other thing.

You can do 99 things for your bike, and all it'll remember is the one thing you didn't do.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I have an Emonda with the same seatmast design. Its side clamping style definitely needs to fit the profile of the rails. I have the carbon specific clamp for my S-Works Romin, and it's a way different shape. Clamping down hard on oval carbon rails with the round profile clamp will crush them and, of course, YER GUNNA DIE!

Saddle clamps that support the rails from below and clamp from above can be used with carbon rails without concern.

The Reverb appears to have a side clamp that can move up and down to accommodate oval rails and has a separate screw for tilt. Very clever. It seems like it should work with the saddle in question, but I agree that the photos don't look right.
    @mall walker: naturally I did not read the owner’s manual at all, whilst putting my Mad One together. I only consulted the online directions when the carbon rails just did not look right in the stock clamp (like you!).

Listen to your instincts and get the last word from the factory, before risking expensive parts and/or your tender arse.

Rockshox Recon (2018 model) tops-out with clunk every time you lift up hard on handlebars .i.e. doing a jump or wheelie, but works well otherwise.

Took the kids bike in for some overhaul and ordered the suspension service which was $100 plus $16 in parts for the dust seal. I called the shop same day I dropped it off as I recalled my kids main complaint was the top out and mentioned that.

Picked bike up today and notice the rear brake which I asked them to bleed was still squishy and that was the main reason I asked for it to be bled. They were able to fix that on the spot by burping it, but I didn't really check the fork top out issue specifically but saw that it was operating well otherwise with new oil and dust seals.

Do I need to take it back and make heads roll or is that a hard thing to diagnose / fix for the $100 service charge. Or do I throw the whole thing in a dumpster and buy the kid a Zeb or 38? To be fair they also replaced a dropper post / cable with no service charge.

I've tried slowing rebound and cycling the fork to maybe get the correct negative pressure???

Rockshox is a bit better for small bump compliance with lighter riders. A Yari might be a good choice for a budget plush fork or a more basic version of the Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    Building up a steel hardtail (karate monkey) for trail / singletrack bikepacking duty. I've been pretty out of the loop on suspension these days. What's a reliable 130-140mm fork that isn't too rediculously expensive? My FS bike has a fox 34 that is decent but I struggle a bit with small bump compliance as a lighter rider.