Page 100 of 531 FirstFirst ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 13262

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin Ben View Post
    I currently have 175mm raceface turbine cranks on my bike. I'd like to try some 170mm to minimize pedal strike. With keeping affordability and durability in mind, in the name of shaving grams - should I consider xt cranks? Or are turbines about as light and durable as alloy cranks come? Thanks!
    ???

???
    I've used Shimano XT and Race Face Turbine/Atlas cranks quite a bit over the years and I find the Race Face Turbine to be light, great bang for the buck and you generally don't have to fuck with them if they're installed properly. I've got the Turbines in 2 bikes and they just work.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    My OG 5.10s finally gave up. This was the only option at the time and I disliked almost everything about them other than the soles. What 5.10s would people suggest now? Freeriders?

Attachment 342411
    Looks like the good news is the soles are ready to mount on whatever shoe you choose? PM XXXer for adhesive advice and you should be all set

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Looks like the good news is the soles are ready to mount on whatever shoe you choose? PM XXXer for adhesive advice and you should be all set
    Doesn't he like Shoe Goo?

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    My OG 5.10s finally gave up. This was the only option at the time and I disliked almost everything about them other than the soles. What 5.10s would people suggest now? Freeriders?

Attachment 342411
    Depends what you want out of them. The regular Freeriders have very flexible soles. Nice for feeling what the pedal is doing, less nice for hammering through chunky stuff, where some more support helps. They're also a softer, bulkier, more skate shoe-y upper than I like.

Freerider Pros are much lower profile and substantially stiffer (though not as stiff as Impacts). Freerider Contacts are somewhere between the Pro and regular Freerider.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Freerider Pros are much lower profile and substantially stiffer
    Get these, and forget about your MTB shoes for another 10-15 years. IMO, very much worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Get these, and forget about your MTB shoes for another 10-15 years. IMO, very much worth the money.
    You expect these to last 10-15 years? Impressive... most impressive.

Lol at anything more than 3 seasons of hard use. Pins shred 5.10 stealth rubber, or any rubber really. You want shoes to last 10 years go clipless.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Had these Giro flats shoes that lasted like 2-3 months. 5.10s way mo betta

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    You expect these to last 10-15 years? Impressive... most impressive.
    I ride 40-50 1-3hr rides per year and have had the pros for 3 years now i think. They have very minimal wear, and no signs of layers separating or delaming. And honestly, if anything does start separating, just give them a quick cleaning, and throw some epoxy or super glue in there. 10-15 years might have been an exaggeration, but i fully expect them to last 5-10 years. I dont run crazy aggressive pins on my pedal though, so i probably don't get quite the wear in the soles that others with longer pinned pedals do.

I found the Freerider Contact to get shredded by the pedals much quicker than the dotted soles of the freerider pros, or just plain freeriders. YMMV.

I found the Freerider Contact to get shredded by the pedals much quicker than the dotted soles of the freerider pros, or just plain freeriders. YMMV.
    The contact uses MI6 rubber on the soles, vs. S1 rubber on the Pros or regular freeriders. MI6 is softer / stickier / faster to wear out.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I've used Shimano XT and Race Face Turbine/Atlas cranks quite a bit over the years and I find the Race Face Turbine to be light, great bang for the buck and you generally don't have to fuck with them if they're installed properly. I've got the Turbines in 2 bikes and they just work.
    Thanks for the reply. My current Turbines have moved from 3 bikes and preformed flawlessly. So if i'm going shorter, why mess with a good thing? Any durable carbon options worth looking into? The cranks just seem like a good place to maybe save some weight...

Thanks for the reply. My current Turbines have moved from 3 bikes and preformed flawlessly. So if i'm going shorter, why mess with a good thing? Any durable carbon options worth looking into? The cranks just seem like a good place to maybe save some weight...
    FWIW i have seen a couple carbon cranks explode. Once when a buddy hit a g-out and broke both pedals off at the same time, and the other was this weekend when some really bummed dude broke his pedal off about 100 yards into a trails that takes 3000' of climbing to get to.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, i bet youd get more benefit from the money by running fresh tires, fresh shifter cable/housing, and suspension service more often.

Ive seen a fair number of sram carbon cranks snap, e13 carbon cranks have that rep too and race face next sl had the inserts rip out until recently when they started putting the inserts in like the nextr. Nextr and sixc seem to do ok or atleast the splined chainring version.
    Was there problems with sixc'? Ive switched all my cranks to 165. I have a pair of 170 race face sixc(3 years old that sat in a box this year and last) and a pair of 170 2021 shimano slx i'm selling. Sixc where on my trani scout so they have a used 28t ring on them(can't remember how used it is/1 yr? maybe). Slx have a 34t ring with 10 or 12 days on the cranks and ring. Im in canada though so not sure how cross border shipping is these days

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Ive seen a fair number of sram carbon cranks snap, e13 carbon cranks have that rep too and race face next sl had the inserts rip out until recently when they started putting the inserts in like the nextr. Nextr and sixc seem to do ok or atleast the splined chainring version.
    Was there problems with sixc'? Ive switched all my cranks to 165. I have a pair of 170 race face sixc(3 years old that sat in a box this year and last) and a pair of 170 2021 shimano slx i'm selling. Sixc where on my trani scout so they have a used 28t ring on them(can't remember how used it is/1 yr? maybe). Slx have a 34t ring with 10 or 12 days on the cranks and ring. Im in canada though so not sure how cross border shipping is these days

The inserts in the NextR's come loose too.

So far, I don't think I've heard of SixC's failing. I'm sure it's happened, but they mostly seem solid.

But really, if you want nice cranks, just go full dentist and get some eewings.

sounds like 170 turbines are the answer! Thanks for help.

I ride 40-50 1-3hr rides per year and have had the pros for 3 years now i think. They have very minimal wear

That's pretty impressive.

I've been on the previously-branded Adidas Trailcross Protect, which is now branded as Fiveten Trailcross Pro Mid, and switched from triangular lugs to round lugs. The lugs are pretty torn after two decent seasons and I'm not sure if they'll last a third ... but I'll probably replace with the same thing, because they are comfy and work really well - especially for adventure rides with lots of hike a bike and flying debris.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

FWIW, my SixC cranks came loose at the pedal inserts just as quickly as the two previous sets of Next SLs. Fortunately all were warrantied by Raceface but I have no trust in their cranks anymore and moved on to XTRs. The XTRs aren’t handling strikes very well, they’re looking pretty beat up, makes me wonder how much better the Eewings handle abuse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My pedal inserts came loose on my sixC cranks after 2.5 seasons, sent them in for warranty (maybe). Threw down on some atlas’s, illl eat the weight penalty at the price of durability. FWIW-

Mine are 68/73 and probably overkill for my little trail bike. Great shape, smooth as. The rf crank boots must be tough rubber. I would have thought theyd have some cuts in the rubber from rocks. The see thu protective tape over the decals is peeling but thats ez to replaceClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20201005_183753.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	342493Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201005_183829.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	342494Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201005_183840.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	342495

My SIX6 crankset has been holding up well, but I burned through 3 Next SL's and a Turbine.

Nice one!! Was that a rock? Cant say ive seen something quite like that. Definitely qasnt shoe rub

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Depends what you want out of them. The regular Freeriders have very flexible soles. Nice for feeling what the pedal is doing, less nice for hammering through chunky stuff, where some more support helps. They're also a softer, bulkier, more skate shoe-y upper than I like.

Freerider Pros are much lower profile and substantially stiffer (though not as stiff as Impacts). Freerider Contacts are somewhere between the Pro and regular Freerider.
    Thanks! Pros ordered.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Fancy-schmancy
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident