Page 180 of 524 FirstFirst ... 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 ... LastLast
Results 4,476 to 4,500 of 13095

Thread: Ask the experts

HAB, do you have much time on a Slayer?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    shock pumps.. is there really a point to ponying up for a more expensive one? any recommendations from the collective?
    YMMV but my take is that the pressure in the shock is the pressure in the shock no matter what the gauge sez, its either too much or too little or just right but what is key is that the pump keeps pumping

the 15yr old pump i had didnt pump high enough so I had to buy a new one ( probably out of the norco book) that made more pressure when i got the yeti and it still works fine

but you know ... the dude abides eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    HAB, do you have much time on a Slayer?
    Haven't been on the current one at all.

It’s a ripper, I think you would really enjoy it.
    *most* of my rides involve a bunch of climbing, I’m a fan of the additional versatility of the Altitude.
    But yes, every bike has a flavor.

shock pumps.. is there really a point to ponying up for a more expensive one? any recommendations from the collective?
    Just bought a combo shock/tire pump from Amazon that just arrived today. My other pump has generally stayed in the truck along with a floor pump and a good tire gauge so I can set pressure at the trailhead before each ride.

I have had the need to have a shock pump while riding and it seems silly to have to carry two pumps. We'll see if this one is good at tires, shocks or, hopefully, both. I'll post back.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    YMMV but my take is that the pressure in the shock is the pressure in the shock no matter what the gauge sez, its either too much or too little or just right but what is key is that the pump keeps pumping
    My take as well. I have an assortment of old non- fancy shock pumps. They all work. No idea if the gauges are accurate, but they're reasonably consistent with each other.

Don't really feel like there's a need for something more accurate since I'm setting up shocks by sag % with calipers.

I bought a digital shock pump this year after the RS that came with my pike had the gauge fail. I really like the digital for repeatability. I am picky and adjust pressure for big temp swings so it gets used every couple months.

My mechanic is telling me that oval chainrings cause faster drivetrain wear. Fact or fiction? Never heard that anywhere else.

There is a ‘theory’ that the minute cycling of the derailluer cage/clutch causes the clutch mechanism to fail prematurely, but I think it’s a bunch of bull hockey.

Locktite on the B-screw? I swear mine is backing out on its own on big downhills. My drivetrain will go from shifting damn near perfectly (as well as it can with a bent and re-straightened hanger) to absolutely shitting the bed the next time I hop on the bike. I notice it 3 minutes into a ride but I'm short on time and deal with it by fucking with the cable tension. I kinda works but sounds like an old 3x. I usually forget about it and the cycle repeats itself with every ride.
    Anyone else has a B-screw with a mind of its own that needs to be glued in place?
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Locktite on the B-screw? I swear mine is backing out on its own on big downhills. My drivetrain will go from shifting damn near perfectly (as well as it can with a bent and re-straightened hanger) to absolutely shitting the bed the next time I hop on the bike. I notice it 3 minutes into a ride but I'm short on time and deal with it by fucking with the cable tension. I kinda works but sounds like an old 3x. I usually forget about it and the cycle repeats itself with every ride.
    Anyone else has a B-screw with a mind of its own that needs to be glued in place?
    Sram eagle? Mine was starting to fuck up every week last year. Loctite worked for me for a while, I think I had to reapply at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    This happened to me this spring in Moab - started showing up on Porc Rim but then happened several times on one ride. This is on an M8000 RD. Loctite seems to have fixed it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Sram eagle? Mine was starting to fuck up every week last year. Loctite worked for me for a while, I think I had to reapply at some point.
    Shimano XT. But I imagine it would also happen with SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    This happened to me this spring in Moab - started showing up on Porc Rim but then happened several times on one ride. This is on an M8000 RD. Loctite seems to have fixed it.
    2 votes for Loctite, I'll give it a go. Poor shifting makes me see red, shit was immaculate for 1500 miles across 2 bikes then a branch in the derailleur and a loose B screw make me feel like I'm back in the early 2000s...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

While I like my Digital Lezyne, I'm not sure that 1 psi resolution makes a big difference when you're at hundreds of PSI.
    I, personally, value the size of the handle more than anything else; those shock pumps with the little plunger heads hurt my dainty palms when pumping up rear shocks.
    Other pumps, Like the Lezyne Shock Drive pump, have big honkin' handles.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    There is a ‘theory’ that the minute cycling of the derailluer cage/clutch causes the clutch mechanism to fail prematurely, but I think it’s a bunch of bull hockey.
    Agreed on bunch of bull hockey. Minor suspension compressions also cycle the derailleur clutch. As does any little bump in the trail. If the clutch fails from the little bit of movement from an oval chainring, the clutch was just a piece of shit that wasn't going to last anyways.

I could see oval chainrings themselves wearing out a tiny bit faster than round chainrings of equivalent tooth count, since the skinny parts of the oval are essentially a smaller chainring, and smaller chainrings wear out faster. But that seems like an almost inconsequentially minor nitpick.

No issues with B-Tension screws backing out. As mentioned upstream somewhere, the new white SRAM B-Tension tool is dead easy to use. I set the B Tension with the bike at sag, and then use a paint pen to mark the spot on the tool where the mark lines up while the bike is in the stand (not under sag).
    Speaking of paint pen, once I get a derailleur dialed I mark the barrel adjuster with a paint pen. That way I have a reference point if it goes out of wack.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9227.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	620.3 KB 
ID:	374264

often the cable tension needs adj cuz really buddy bent the der hanger, straighten the hanger and you may not need to adj the cable at all seen that > once

i got an axiom shock pump which seems to work quite well ( they are out of stock btw) I think some company in Taiwan makes and markets different pumps under different names depending on who wants their logo on it

This is more of an Ask the JONGs question, but I don’t see that thread so...

I just bent the shit out of a few teeth on my cassette and blew up my derailleur, so I figure it’s a reasonable time to replace and upgrade.

So, uh, how do I do that? Just replace the cassette and derailleur with upgraded components, or do I need to / should replace other drivetrain components too? How far do I take it - shifters, cables etc too?

It would be helpful if you explained it like I’m a moron, because I am. In this case anyways, and presumably many others.
    I'm taking myself to a dirty part of town, where all my troubles can't be found...

Ask the experts

Chainrings, chain and cassette are one family.
    Derailleur and shifter and cable are relatives but not immediate family members.
    You can replace your derailleur without doing anything to your shifter. Just give it a fresh new inner cable.
    Chains wear at the same rate as your cassette and chainring.
    There are 2 camps for replacing your chain, cassette and chain ring:
    1. You can change a slightly worn chain part way through your drive trains life, to extend the life of the cassette and chainring.
    2. Run all three components into the ground until they all wear out and need replacing.

I would guess that your chain is pretty worn, so replace both your cassette and chain, and look at the chainrings tooth profile to see if they are worn to the point of replacing. If they look like even pyramids they are okay, if they look like sharks teeth, or shaped like a wave, they also need replacing.

That Enduro roundup a while back showed that most of them were actually pretty accurate, so it just boils down to what features you want. And honestly, it doesn't matter if your pump's not accurate as long as it's consistent. I like the digital ones because they're easy to read and be consistent with. I have the Fox one which is the same as the RS and I think also CC. The rubber tubing that protects the hose is cracked and loose at the ends but it has no affect on the pump itself. And it's a tad long to cram into most hip-packs, but I only ever think about bringing a pump with me when I get a brand new fork or shock.

One thing I don't agree with on chain, cassette, and chainrings wearing. With chainrings often being aluminum these days they wear a lot faster than the other two. I often replace chainring before a chain and rarely replace the steel cassette. Chain wear has vastly improved since SRAM 1x.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    While I like my Digital Lezyne, I'm not sure that 1 psi resolution makes a big difference when you're at hundreds of PSI.
    I, personally, value the size of the handle more than anything else; those shock pumps with the little plunger heads hurt my dainty palms when pumping up rear shocks.
    Other pumps, Like the Lezyne Shock Drive pump, have big honkin' handles.
    Thanks all. Ended up going with the Lezyne Shock Drive last night. Agreed about not needing a digital readout. Went with standard gauge

do digital pumps need a battery ?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    One thing I don't agree with on chain, cassette, and chainrings wearing. With chainrings often being aluminum these days they wear a lot faster than the other two. I often replace chainring before a chain and rarely replace the steel cassette. Chain wear has vastly improved since SRAM 1x.
    I also agree, especially the 12s SRAM stuff.
    The 12s chainrings wear so fast, you can go through 3 chainrings on one chain.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    thanks man. i assume i could not run 2.5s on 25mm, could I?
    Just another data point, but my buddy put a pair of 2.4 Conti Kaisers on his 25mm rear wheel. Burps like crazy. Granted, we tend to run slightly lower pressures around here. Works ok now, but he has to run 24-25psi, while I rund 21psi, on a 30mm rim.

If you want to run higher pressures, nevermind