Page 152 of 533 FirstFirst ... 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 ... LastLast
Results 3,776 to 3,800 of 13303

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    I personally feel cleaning your drivetrain is important and IF you do that frequently, hot waxing doesn't really take any more time.
    Fuck, now you're telling me I'm supposed to clean it and wax it frequently? I'm a busy man. All that fussing around with chains would cut into my talking shit on the internet time.

I had an interesting discussion recently with a mechanic who used to work at the local shop, and now started his own mobile repair business. He said the owner of the shop, who is very passionate about high end bikes and whose sons race, assumes everyone always wants the latest and greatest. If someone brings in a 10 year old bike to "get the shifting fixed", he'll try to recommend selling a new drivetrain. The mechanic is a believer of: know your customer, and give them what they're looking for. In the previous example, the customer would probably be ecstatic with the drivetrain cleaned and freshly lubed, and the derailleur adjustments checked. Maybe if it's really fucked, a fresh cable & housing. Doing something like that will turn it around really quick, and they'll be back a lot more often than if you try and sell them on a brand new Shimano drivetrain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1617049976.152251.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	369611
    Gonna go get a thrift store crockpot and do some experiments.

But for that drip life I like Rock n Roll Blue.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

y'all should spend more time doing trail maintenance instead of worrying about your chain cleanliness. Sound like a bunch of roadies!

maybe the 10 yr old bike needed a new drive train?

IME fixing shit if you work on something, if you don't fix everything then you left shit unfixed which may or may not create a customer sat issue and it doesnt matter if you didnt work on that part, the work I used to do got surveyed so if end loser was unhappy I got shit and it directly affected my paycheck/ having a job

in contrast last time i had to fix all the fucking garbage that some other idiots in the bike shop had accepted there were bad bottle-picker bikes with 5 spd shifter and 7 spd cluster which was never going to shift, or freeride shit with a level 1 tuneup scrawled on the work order cuz it was cheapest, never mind it needed way more work. That same shop now has an intake stand to check out every bike that comes in, some bikes you don't wana deal with/ can't make fair money on so the quote will be high but they no longer waste time on fucking garbage

A shop has to make money or it won't be there in a few years, the store won't succeed if they don't make money
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Gonna go get a thrift store crockpot and do some experiments.
    Both Walmart and Target have a 2 qt crock pot for $9.99. It has a 4 position switch high, medium, low and warm.
    I found mine at the grocery store for $6.99, its a plug in a forget it type. Also where I buy the canning wax (major ingredient in my own blend).

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Fuck, now you're telling me I'm supposed to clean it and wax it frequently? I'm a busy man. All that fussing around with chains would cut into my talking shit on the internet time.
    Nope, you misunderstood. IF you clean your drivetrain once a month or so and drip lube, it takes more time than hot wax with no cleaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

after the initial cleaning to get the factory shipping smoo off the chain the Squirt bottle sez do 2 applications of Squirt, don't wipe off, allow to dry completly, especialy in wet conditions

don't degrease again after the ^^ initial degreasing

allow chain to dry completley before use

clean with a dry brush if you want

some dentists can't read labels

i never clean the chains , I just add more Squirt, some thing i have done is melt the wax with a heat gun

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Nope, you misunderstood. IF you clean your drivetrain once a month or so and drip lube, it takes more time than hot wax with no cleaning.
    The physical act of driving to Target to buy the $9.99 crockpot would take more time than I spend on chain maintenance in a season.

Plus, then I have a fucking crockpot taking up space in my shop.

But, workbench queso and cocktail wieners might be worth it.

Ask the experts

What if I save up all my ski wax shavings from over the winter and crock/soak in that!

I could vary the soaking mix for specific riding temps.
    That Don't Make No Sense

B-b-but ... mixing yellow, pink, red, white and black waxes - oh the horror!

Give me some PTFE I can just iron into my chain and shear into the watershed. Then we can end this vultures picking out the insides of a dead horse discussion!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    But, workbench queso and cocktail wieners might be worth it.
    Which begs the question how important is the wax in all of this? Cheese may be a fantastic chain lube. I’m all in if it means I’ve got a pot of queso going all the time.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

OK,

So, how does one, say, 'properly clean the drivetrain'?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Which begs the question how important is the wax in all of this? Cheese may be a fantastic chain lube. I’m all in if it means I’ve got a pot of queso going all the time.
    You guys are really making me reconsider my anti-crockpot position. If I've got workshop queso that also makes my drivetrain shift perfectly and be delicious, I think I'm ready to bin the drip lubes.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    You guys are really making me reconsider my anti-crockpot position. If I've got workshop queso that also makes my drivetrain shift perfectly and be delicious, I think I'm ready to bin the drip lubes.
    I've always thought I would lube my bike chain more if the lube was edible.

Chamois butter is the latest thing for chain lube

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    OK,

Ultrasonic cleaner.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I think everyone needs to simmer down.... see what I did there? Crockpot? Simmer??

All this talk of workshop queso had me jonesing for nachos now... that’s gonna happen next weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    OK,

If you lube with queso, probably just smoke a bunch of dope while you're working on your bike. It will work itself out.

Or, if you are really high, watch reruns of C.H.I.P.S. While you are cleaning the bike.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Or, if you are really high, watch reruns of C.H.I.P.S. While you are cleaning the bike.
    I bet Ponch had a sweet workshop queso setup.

Ask the experts

great now I want c.h.i.p.s and queso
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I've always thought I would lube my bike chain more if the lube was edible.
    Lots for you to choose from. Just Google "edible lube" and take your pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    The 2021 supply thread has me thinking I should pick up a new cassette. Are there any good (read: cheaper but just as good) alternatives to X01 XG1295, or should I just get another one of those?
    The GX cassette (xg-1275) is a good amount cheaper, like 215 msrp vs 385 for xo1. The xo1 cassette is a lot nicer and lighter though. The main cassette is all machined from one piece vs a bunch of pins and rivets holding everything together. Functionally, probably hard to tell a difference?

I'll probably go to the fancy cassette plus carbon cranks pretty soon. Doesn't look like I'll be able to track down the xc hardtail I want any time soon so maybe I try to get the hei hei a little more race ready.