Page 11 of 531 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I'm looking at some of the heavier alloy rim options for the rear. Options are:
    - Stan's Flow EX3
    - Race Face Arc Offset 30 Heavy Duty
    - Chromag BA30 (currently out of stock at the distributor)

Each of these weigh around 600 g in 29er version. Stan's and Chromag have extra internal bracing in the cross-section whereas the Race Face is just a normal single cavity with thicker walls. How important do you think the extra ribs are for preventing the rim bed from deforming when the rim dents?

My past success with Flow EXs and WTB Frequency i23, both of which have ribs in the cross-section, suggests that it's helpful.
    Everyone i know who is riding the BA's are super stoked. My wheel builders rim of choice right now.

DT EX 511s are easily my burly aluminum rim of choice right now, though I haven't tried the Chromags.

I've got a pair of We Are One Agents right now too, and they're holding up great after a season and change. I don't think I'd buy them again though, just because I've been so happy with the various DT aluminum rims I've used of late – a combination of 471s, 481s, and 511s. $300+ per wheel translates to a lot of beer.

DT is my choice for solid aluminum rims as well.

There are plenty of others that are fine, but the high end DT's take the cake.

Mix-Match coil springs between brands. Thinking about putting a Cane Creek Progressive Vault on my Ohlin's TTX. Anyone with wisdom here?
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Mix-Match coil springs between brands. Thinking about putting a Cane Creek Progressive Vault on my Ohlin's TTX. Anyone with wisdom here?
    Cane creek says its compatible with various brands but they don't state Ohlins as one if them.

Valt inner diameter is 36.5mm. What does your Ohlins measure?

I just ordered a CC Progressive to put on my 11-6. If you're not in a rush, I can let you know how it feels in a couple weeks. I did ask the CC guys ahead of time, and they said they hadn't tested their springs on other shocks but said that as long as the physical dimensions work, there's no reason it shouldn't be awesome.

I think most shock MFGs run pretty close to the same ID / OD and free length, with the exception being MRP (which is larger). So you'll probably be OK.

I did my first ride with the progressive spring. The effect was very noticeable, in a good way. I was running the Push recommended 475# spring, which resulted in about a 26% sag. I'm now running the CC 450-550# spring. I didn't measure sag, but it was definitely more. It was noticeably squishier at sag, so I increased LSC 2 clicks. It's possible to slide the spring laterally a small amount, corresponding to the ~1mm ID difference, but I had no rub. It probably wouldn't slide on a different shock, since Push uses a slippery plastic washer to allow the spring to rotate.

On the trail, it still felt incredibly grippy, but there was a lot more pop to it when pumping, especially on jumps. I way overshot 2 jumps compared to previous runs. The first one was a little booter at the top of the downslope to flat (about 2 bike lengths long) and I completely cleared the slope and landed on the flat. The second was a short but tall tabletop (about 5' tall but only ~3' long), where I completely cleared the backside and was so surprised I went off the trail. Clearly some adjustment on how much I pump jumps is in order...

Unrelated to springs... I remember a while ago someone asked a question about preferred carrier to ship bikes, and people were saying ShipBikes was better than Bike Flights. Is that still the case? It looks like it's FedEx vs. UPS, and in my experience FedEx is a steaming pile, so I'm surprised that they'd be the preferred choice. Going to Asheville/Pisgah/Brevard in April for 3 days of riding with my brother in law, so I can ship to his house and have him drop it off at UPS after. I have a bike box from when I bought the bike.

Ask the experts

I sold a bike, had the LBS pack it and I shipped it with Ship Bikes. Bought insurance for the value of the sale.
    Bike got damaged in shipping (scratches, bent rotors, bent brake lever) and buyer spent weeks dealing with FedEx insurance. I honestly never heard how it worked out because I stopped following up. Guessing he got something since the guy never asked me for anything.
    In hindsight, I should have asked the shop to repack the bike in a bigger box that was in better condition. Then when I got home I should have added more cardboard to the walls, stuffed the box full of newspapers until tight, and taken a picture of it all.

I'm guessing there are a few mags who have sent a bunch more bikes than me who should have way more wisdom on this. Ssmokan comes to mind.

Meanwhile, how did the progressive spring feel when you landed to flat? That's the biggest problem I have with current spring: feels awesome everywhere except drops to flat.
    Last edited by jm2e; 01-02-2020 at 10:14 PM.

I've dealt with insurance claims from both ShipBikes.com and BikeFlights.com - and there's a huge difference. The insurance you buy from BikeFlights.com is their own insurance (which I'm sure is underwritten by someone else, but let's keep it simple). When I had a bike damaged in shipping that was through them, the process was SUPER easy and the communication was seamless. A couple of pictures, proof of purchase or retail value, and it was taken care of in less than 48 hours.

Fast forward to this year, and I started using ShipBikes.com to ship all the demo bikes I sell. I obviously buy insurance, and with ShipBikes they're basically re-selling insurance for FedEx. So when I had to make a claim this fall, ShipBikes was helpful but they essentially just gave me the form and contact info for FedEx. Which we all know is a total PITA.

I wish BikeFlights would get their FedEx deal back, or maybe they could work with UPS to lower their rates a bit... because they're a much better run company and the one I'd prefer to work with on a regular basis.

Boom

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

On average, how much is a 40 pound bike box shipped to, say, NY from SLC (random) with bikeflights vs. Fed Ex etc?
    I have an Altitude to sell still...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Meanwhile, how did the progressive spring feel when you landed to flat? That's the biggest problem I have with current spring: feels awesome everywhere except drops to flat.
    Much better, more muted. I mean, the bottom out bumper on the 11-6 is pretty good already, and I'd rather bottom it out than the stock DPX2 which doesn't have a bumper. Like, I bottomed it out on the second landing but it didn't feel like a solid "thwack" anymore, just a very stiff spring.

Thanks for feedback on the shipping options. After looking at prices on both and being conservative on box size and weights, I decided it'd cost the same to demo a bike for 3 days and save the hassle/risk of shipping my own. Plus, I get to try out the new Enduro that the internet is geeking out about.

I'm amidst building a new Hightower and am torn between the new 12 speed XT and GX Eagle. I've used SRAM for years but the reviews on new XT are outstanding.

XT has lots of new tech but requires Shimano's new freehub body. GX Eagle isn't quit as fancy but I know it will work reliably.

What say the experts?

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I'm amidst building a new Hightower and am torn between the new 12 speed XT and GX Eagle. I've used SRAM for years but the reviews on new XT are outstanding.

XT has lots of new tech but requires Shimano's new freehub body. GX Eagle isn't quit as fancy but I know it will work reliably.

What say the experts?
    I'm not an expert but I am currently using GX Eagle on my fatbike, and bent 2 or 3 sprockets on the cassette after barely 200 miles of use. Derailleur return spring also failed as well. My LBS warrantied both. I'd go with XT without even a second thought, especially if your rear hub can be retrofitted with the new microspline freehub. Building a new rear wheel is a bit costly, but the SLX rear hub isn't too spendy and is a solid option.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    On average, how much is a 40 pound bike box shipped to, say, NY from SLC (random) with bikeflights vs. Fed Ex etc?
    I have an Altitude to sell still...
    I’d say around $65-70, plus insurance.

Does anyone run TRP GSpecs?

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

What say the experts?
    What's 12spd XT cost?

GX:
    https://www.bike24.com/p2231000.html?q=gx+eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    That deal looks good to be true (?) Price is roughly the same - $300-$350 for derailleur, shifter and cassette. I already have cranks.

Quote Originally Posted by scharny View Post
    I'm not an expert but I am currently using GX Eagle on my fatbike, and bent 2 or 3 sprockets on the cassette after barely 200 miles of use. Derailleur return spring also failed as well. My LBS warrantied both. I'd go with XT without even a second thought, especially if your rear hub can be retrofitted with the new microspline freehub. Building a new rear wheel is a bit costly, but the SLX rear hub isn't too spendy and is a solid option.
    Hmm I had no idea the GX Eagle was so fickle; I've had great luck with the GX 11 speed.

I'll be building new wheels on Hope hubs and Hope was way late in getting the licensing to produce hubs with the new Microspline freehub. I just read today they're finally shipping hubs with it. Probably leaning towards XT at this point.

That deal looks good to be true (?) Price is roughly the same - $300-$350 for derailleur, shifter and cassette. I already have cranks.

Hmm I had no idea the GX Eagle was so fickle; I've had great luck with the GX 11 speed.

I'll be building new wheels on Hope hubs and Hope was way late in getting the licensing to produce hubs with the new Microspline freehub. I just read today they're finally shipping hubs with it. Probably leaning towards XT at this point.
    Yeah, my GX 11 has been bomber.

What is this 'microspline' all about? Is it supposed to be smoother with the 12 speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Yeah, my GX 11 has been bomber.

What is this 'microspline' all about? Is it supposed to be smoother with the 12 speeds?
    This is what I was reading earlier:

"The Micro Spline freehub body is slightly shorter than an HG freehub. This allows the smallest cog to be positioned outboard of the freehub body.

The 10t cog actually sits inside the 12t cog and is held in place with a series of splines that match up with grooves in the 12t cog."

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/w...ehub-standard/

The new freehub makes me a bit hesitant but Shimano seems to have their shit together enough to trust it.

I'm sure most other mountain bikers will react to the new standard with a catastrophic emotional breakdown and throwing of one's feces.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Does anyone run TRP GSpecs?

Everyone I know who bought a YT bike last year. They seem to work reliably. I personally don’t dig on the giant monkey bar brake levers.

What say the experts?
    I've got a bit of time on both. Shifting on the XT is quite a bit smoother, and I'm a big fan of being able to shift up two gears with one stroke. Sram doesn't have that. Both work fine, but if price is close on the two I'd go XT.

While I've heard of occasional issues, I think GX Eagle is pretty solid. I've put in thousands of miles on a few different GX Eagle kits. No issues other than normal wear, and some destroyed derailleurs via sticks getting caught in them. The only thing I'd say is that X01 chains last longer and are a worthwhile upgrade. The X01 cassettes last longer and shift better too, but that upgrade is definitely pricier.

All that said, I'll probably put XT on my next build. If nothing else, out of curiosity.

What say the experts?
    I swapped out the GX der/shifter on my Bronson late summer for 12 spd XT after a few months of non stop fiddling and annoyance with the GX....very happy to go back to set it and forget it shimano shifting. Currently running it with the GX cassette and SRAM chain, but hearing how good the new Shimano cassette/chains are working I might look into swapping the DT Swiss freehub to microspline this season.

My understanding of the reasoning behind Microspline:
    1. Shimano would rather die than use a standard (for free) that Sram created.
    2. Ability to run cheaper cassettes a la SLX. XD can never be cheap because of the all on piece thread on nature of it.