Page 392 of 521 FirstFirst ... 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 ... LastLast
Results 9,776 to 9,800 of 13021

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by reukk View Post
    Question about hub end cap adapters on a new Lyrik I bought and am installing. What are they exactly, and do I need to use them?
    Hubs are DT Swiss 370
    Manual is a little vague. Not sure if my hub has “Torque Cap end caps”…
    Thanks
    The Torque caps have an extra wide flange on the outside edge like this:
    Name:  IMG_8107.JPG
Views: 351
Size:  50.0 KB

Both regular and Torque caps work with that fork.
    Those forks just have a bolt on piece to clamp down on regular end caps if you don’t have the Torque end caps.

Question about hub end cap adapters on a new Lyrik I bought and am installing. What are they exactly, and do I need to use them?

Hubs are DT Swiss 370

Attachment 453896

Thanks
    Dee Hubbs has it covered, but try installing the wheel, and it will become obvious
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Hubs are DT Swiss 370

Attachment 453896

Thanks
    Sram Engineers: Is there a way to take something reliable, and make it unnecessarily complicated? An argument can be made that when functioning perfectly it will be 0.02% more performancy, but we already know it's bullshit and are in production on the thing that will make it obsolete.
    Sram Marketing: We Love You To Infinity And Beyond.
    Everyone at Shimano/Fox: Thank you for reminding our customers why they're loyal to us. We literally did nothing and that's all they wanted. We Love You More.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Can someone explain torque caps like I’m 6? Like what would I have ever noticed with the standard RS/fox thru axle with QR and then said “oh man wish I had torque caps” man it’s just not even something I ever even considered. But it’s possible my zeb with the bolt on front axle one has torque caps and I don’t even know
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Can someone explain torque caps like I’m 6? Like what would I have ever noticed with the standard RS/fox thru axle with QR and then said “oh man wish I had torque caps” man it’s just not even something I ever even considered. But it’s possible my zeb with the bolt on front axle one has torque caps and I don’t even know
    All forks with a 15mm though axle accept an end cap the size of a NICKLE. The nickel sized end cap slots nicely in the cutouts in the forks, and the 15mm axle snugs everything up, and carries the weight and support. The nickel is industry standard.
    Sram came up with Torque caps, and increased the cutout in the forks to accept an end cap the size of a QUATER, so now you can replace your "industry standard" nickel sized end caps with end caps the size of a quarter. The 15mm through axle still carry all the weight, but according to SRAM the Torque Caps creates more surface area between hub and fork, and is "xx fake%" stiffer.

Every non Torque Cap (nickel) hubs can still be used in in a Torque cap (quarter) fork (just not optimized)
    BUT
    Torque Cap (quarter) hubs will not fit in a non Torque Cap (nickel) fork (ie Fox).
    OR
    You can still put your nickel in the quarter slot, but you cant put your quarter in the nickel slot. (why is the dime smaller than a nickel and penny?)

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    …but according to SRAM/Shimano/Specialized/Trek/everyone else’s marketing is "xx fake%" stiffer.
    Fixed it for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A fix for the old forks if your wheel is annoying you.

https://bikerumor.com/found-newmen-t...-installation/

Annoyingly overpriced on ebay....
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Everyone at Shimano/Fox: Thank you for reminding our customers why they're loyal to us. We literally did nothing and that's all they wanted. We Love You More.
    It's their fucking fault that we had to abandon 20mm axles and switch to 15mm. Except for dh forks, of course, because having multiple front axle standards makes a ton of sense. They definitely don't get a pass on dumb front axle decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    It's their fucking fault that we had to abandon 20mm axles and switch to 15mm. Except for dh forks, of course, because having multiple front axle standards makes a ton of sense. They definitely don't get a pass on dumb front axle decisions.
    Do you mean 20 x 110mm OR 20 x 110mm Boost? Thats the worst one.....

I think this is all of them:

12mm Thru x 100mm
    12mm Thru x 110mm Road Boost
    15mm Thru x 100mm
    15mm Thru x 110mm Boost
    15mm Thru x 150mm
    20mm Thru x 110mm
    20mm Thru x 110mm Boost
    9x1 Threaded x 100mm
    Lefty x 100mm
    QR x 100mm

All forks with a 15mm though axle accept an end cap the size of a NICKLE. The nickel sized end cap slots nicely in the cutouts in the forks, and the 15mm axle snugs everything up, and carries the weight and support. The nickel is industry standard.
    Sram came up with Torque caps, and increased the cutout in the forks to accept an end cap the size of a QUATER, so now you can replace your "industry standard" nickel sized end caps with end caps the size of a quarter. The 15mm through axle still carry all the weight, but according to SRAM the Torque Caps creates more surface area between hub and fork, and is "xx fake%" stiffer.

Every non Torque Cap (nickel) hubs can still be used in in a Torque cap (quarter) fork (just not optimized)
    BUT
    Torque Cap (quarter) hubs will not fit in a non Torque Cap (nickel) fork (ie Fox).
    OR
    You can still put your nickel in the quarter slot, but you cant put your quarter in the nickel slot. (why is the dime smaller than a nickel and penny?)
    Good explanation. Thanks
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Do you mean 20 x 110mm OR 20 x 110mm Boost? Thats the worst one.....

I think this is all of them:

12mm Thru x 100mm
    12mm Thru x 110mm Road Boost
    15mm Thru x 100mm
    15mm Thru x 110mm Boost
    15mm Thru x 150mm
    20mm Thru x 110mm
    20mm Thru x 110mm Boost
    9x1 Threaded x 100mm
    Lefty x 100mm
    QR x 100mm
    Are we only doing current-ish standards? There were a few dh forks running 30mm axles for a while.

Are we only doing current-ish standards? There were a few dh forks running 30mm axles for a while.
    And the 25mm one on the Specialized Future Shock. And whatever the fuck Maverick was doing.

All good info. Thanks a ton

Anyone know the diameter of the torque caps so I can print some of those little moon adapters when I get my 3d printer?

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Anyone know the diameter of the torque caps so I can print some of those little moon adapters when I get my 3d printer?
    31mm

https://noblwheels.com/blog/what-are-torque-caps/

Formerly Rludes025

You don't need the moon adaptors. Non torque-cap hubs will work in torque cap forks without any modifications or spacers.

If you don't have the moon adaptors, you have to spend half a second lining up the hub with the axle. The moon adaptors just make it so you don't have to do that, but it's kind of a non issue unless you're trying to hot swap wheels in a race or something like that.

I have been doing that for 4.5 years but it annoys me and will be like 15 minutes in Cad and a few cents worth of filament and an excuse to play with a new toy so why not.

You don't need the moon adaptors. Non torque-cap hubs will work in torque cap forks without any modifications or spacers.

If you don't have the moon adaptors, you have to spend half a second lining up the hub with the axle. The moon adaptors just make it so you don't have to do that, but it's kind of a non issue unless you're trying to hot swap wheels in a race or something like that.

Quarter size, not Nickel size.

I have been doing that for 4.5 years but it annoys me and will be like 15 minutes in Cad and a few cents worth of filament and an excuse to play with a new toy so why not.
    Gotcha. Then by all means, make some moons!

So, torque caps don’t actually torque anything? They aren’t like special preload adjusters?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    So, torque caps don’t actually torque anything? They aren’t like special preload adjusters?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Pretty much. The one thing they're nice for is holding the wheel in place by friction when you're putting it on and then realize you left the axle out of reach.

Ritchie Rude Torque Caps (TM) will make you so much faster that you'll then need Ritchie Rude Bro Brake Fluid (TM) to slow down!
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Will there be a special new axle torque clamp cap AXS direct mount doohickey for next year's forks, incompatible with all prior hubs and forks?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Will there be a special new axle torque clamp cap AXS direct mount doohickey for next year's forks, incompatible with all prior hubs and forks?
    Sram did torque caps ~ 7 years ago as a way to promote their newly released wheelsets that (at the time) were the only ones with torque cap compatible hubs.

Their wheelsets never really caught on, but we're left with the torque cap compatibility on the forks.

Maverick were 24mm, IIRC.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident