Page 31 of 531 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the experts

So the estimated wait time on a Ripmo V2 has my analysis paralysis taking over my brain. I can make a case for either the Ripley and HD5 and have it in time to ride this summer. Some reviews state the HD5 actually climbs better than the Ripmo in tighter terrain due to the smaller wheels. The Ripley’s climbing ability is appealing but may leave me wanting a burlier bike later on.

At 6’ 220 lbs im working on getting down to 200 lbs. The Ripmo is obviously the perfect split between the two. Concerned I’d blow through the Ripley travel with their new tune and the HD5 wheels are better suited for smaller riders.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Haha, I'm in the same boat waiting on my Ripmo V2 frame+fork. Are you waiting on a frameset or complete build? What I've been most tempted by to cancel my order would be a GG Smash. I spoke to GG on the phone today, and they said for frame only orders, they can't sell Fox forks, but they do have some '21 170 36s in stock they can sell with complete builds. They are expecting some '21 DHX2s in the next 1-2 weeks. Build time on a new frame order is 4 weeks currently. I can't find any place that has a 160 '21 36 Factory in stock, but Jenson and The Lost Co. have the Performance Elite version. The HD5 also crossed my mind a few times, but I discarded it primarily because I'd have to buy a new set of wheels also. Ditto for the Transition Scout. That and the resale value in a couple years will probably be low because 27.5 is being murdered by the industry.

That said, I am leaning towards leaving my Ripmo order in place. 1) if Ibis' last update to my shop is accurate, I'm due late June / early July, so it would be about the same time frame. 2) The V1 Ripmo got rave reviews, and V2 tweaked the few complaints. It should be one of those bikes that comes along every few years that is super versatile and everyone loves. 3) I'd be on a size 2 Smash, which would limit me to using a small water bottle, which would annoy me. I'm used to a 24oz on my current bike. I could survive with a small, but it'd be a downgrade. It would also be even heavier than my current pig of a Sentinel.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Haha, I'm in the same boat waiting on my Ripmo V2 frame+fork. Are you waiting on a frameset or complete build? What I've been most tempted by to cancel my order would be a GG Smash. I spoke to GG on the phone today, and they said for frame only orders, they can't sell Fox forks, but they do have some '21 170 36s in stock they can sell with complete builds. They are expecting some '21 DHX2s in the next 1-2 weeks. Build time on a new frame order is 4 weeks currently. I can't find any place that has a 160 '21 36 Factory in stock, but Jenson and The Lost Co. have the Performance Elite version. The HD5 also crossed my mind a few times, but I discarded it primarily because I'd have to buy a new set of wheels also. Ditto for the Transition Scout. That and the resale value in a couple years will probably be low because 27.5 is being murdered by the industry.

That said, I am leaning towards leaving my Ripmo order in place. 1) if Ibis' last update to my shop is accurate, I'm due late June / early July, so it would be about the same time frame. 2) The V1 Ripmo got rave reviews, and V2 tweaked the few complaints. It should be one of those bikes that comes along every few years that is super versatile and everyone loves. 3) I'd be on a size 2 Smash, which would limit me to using a small water bottle, which would annoy me. I'm used to a 24oz on my current bike. I could survive with a small, but it'd be a downgrade. It would also be even heavier than my current pig of a Sentinel.
    Im waiting on a complete. Seems like demand for the Ripmo is for good reason. And the fact that Ibis is already discounting xtr HD5 builds says something. Regardless, its seems like a rad bike getting passed over by the cycles of the bike industry.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I think he needs to ask himself 5 questions:
    1) do I want a brake that has a history of failure that might be fixed (or maybe not), or
    2) do I want a brake that has a 60% chance of occasionally, and without warning, pulling all the way to the bar, or
    3) do I want a brake with bleed fittings that'll strip out and with pads that aren't super common, or
    4) do I want brakes that are unproven and are built by a company that seems to be perpetually on the verge of bankruptcy, or
    5) do I want to spend way more money on something that's fancy and may or may not work well, but no one really knows because only like 17 people on the planet actually own them?

Pick your poison.
    This is why I stuck with Codes. Pwerful and adjustable with consistent bite point, but mostly, reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Yeah, 4 is Hayes. 5 I was thinking of Trickstuff, although it could probably apply to others. I think HAB covered Hope. Kinda forgot about TRP, but I'm sure there's something wrong with them (pads hard to find, etc.).
    I have heard bleeding the TRPs is kind of a bitch but never done it myself.

Dan you've got me really intrigued about the new Hayes. They sound like a contender.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    This is why I stuck with Codes. Pwerful and adjustable with consistent bite point, but mostly, reliable.
    Yup, likewise. I've had great luck with codes.

Of course, some could argue that they're overpriced and that DOT fluid sucks to work with. So as with everything, there's always something to bitch about.

Yeah they are spendy. DOT fluid I guess is.. a fact of life? Shimano seems to make due with the mineral but then I don't get along with their brakes.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I suffered with the random bite point on the XTs that came with my 2020 Ripley (glad I got it in March!) for a few weeks, then did exhaustive research before settling on Hope Enduro 4 pots with the Evo lever. I'm tickled pink by them. The power is plentiful, and the modulation is better than anything I've experienced in 25 years of riding. Plus they are lighter than the 2 pot XTs. They were well worth the cost. DOT fluid isn't too bad, but I'm used to it on motos.

Oh, and the Ripley is great. I put in the next size volume spacer in the shock and never bottom anymore. I've not ridden much really burly double black terrain on it yet, but at top 5 Strava speeds on fairly chunky stuff it's great. Obviously 160mm would be better sometimes, but then I wouldn't also feel like going for the uphill KOMs. For me it's the right balance, which I'd place at 60/40 up/down. If you're 40/60 biased, something bigger is prob your jam. Also I'm 140#, which is prob relevant.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Dan you've got me really intrigued about the new Hayes. They sound like a contender.
    Honestly, anything at this price point seems pretty good and a lot of it just comes down to personal preference. But, yeah, they're pretty awesome. Power, modulation, great lever feel, dual bleed ports on the caliper, the crosshair alignment system works, they've got the whole package. You're probably a tad tall to fit my bike but you're welcome to try them out if you ever want to. The price is actually pretty good when you consider that they come with two sets of pads.

I don't get the hubub about DOT fluid. Keep an alcohol wipe handy while bleeding and wipe up drips. It's been a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    I am trying to find an xt 9 speed rt shifter and striking out. Antony know if a sram index shifter is compatible? Seems like all of the 9 speed shifters are I back order. Is this a covid thing, or just the bike is too old thing?

Thanks
    You're not looking for the ST-M750 combo shifter and brake lever, are you? I've got a set of those you could have for the cost of shipping and a sixer.

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    Im waiting on a complete. Seems like demand for the Ripmo is for good reason. And the fact that Ibis is already discounting xtr HD5 builds says something. Regardless, its seems like a rad bike getting passed over by the cycles of the bike industry.

Where are you seeing discounted complete XTR HD5s? In a shop? Quick searching online didn't turn up anything. FWIW, they removed the XTR buildkit for the Ripmo too. Not sure why, unless Shimano couldn't supply enough parts.

Where are you seeing discounted complete XTR HD5s? In a shop? Quick searching online didn't turn up anything. FWIW, they removed the XTR buildkit for the Ripmo too. Not sure why, unless Shimano couldn't supply enough parts.
    https://www.probikesupply.com/produc...ke-xtr-x01-axs

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    I am trying to find an xt 9 speed rt shifter and striking out. Antony know if a sram index shifter is compatible? Seems like all of the 9 speed shifters are I back order. Is this a covid thing, or just the bike is too old thing?

Thanks
    I've got a new SRAM X9 9-speed rear derailleur, if you have a shifter you want to match up to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I've got a new SRAM X9 9-speed rear derailleur, if you have a shifter you want to match up to it.
    Availability of parts, especially older stuff like 7,8, and 9 spd components and tools for home mechanics is extremely poor and expected to get worse. Trying to find stuff like chain whips, bleed kits, and 7spd freewheels is like trying to find T.P. back in mid-April.

Think months-long waits for shipping containers to get loaded onto boats in Asia. Manufacturers and distributors who would normally bite the bullet in this situation and pony up for air freight are unable to do so because those commercial flights that accept air freight cargo just aren’t happening.

Edit: whoops, meant to quote Canada here, not El Chup.

Have had my Yeti SB6C for a few weeks, love it. Not sure why I didn't get into this sport earlier on in my life. GF is going to be my riding buddy, but she needs a bike. We're close in height so she can use the same size frame as me (medium). She likes the SB6C so when we ride together I'll probably let her ride that. Kind of using it as an excuse to get a long travel 29er for myself. Looking at a few options, around $4k range. One is a used SB5.5, really enjoy the switch infinity suspension. Next option is trying to find a used Ripmo, or Rocky Mountain Instinct BC. Final option might be to do the Ripmo AF, built out a bit (SLX, maybe with the coil option). I like the idea of going new, although the Ripmo AF is pretty heavy. A lightly used carbon Ripmo would probably be ideal, I like that it's a little more trail/climb oriented, but they're hard to find. I'm pretty happy with going used carbon for the Yeti, not that concerned with warranty issues. If there's a manufacturing defect, likely would have hopefully already shown itself used, otherwise if I crash, I'll either get Broken Carbon in boulder to repair, or buy a new frame.

Any thoughts? Or other long travel 29ers that climb well I should look at?

Could possibly shell out for Ripmo V2 in the NX build. Annoying that GX upgrade is an extra $1000. Could maybe buy it, try and sell NX and Guide T brakes right away, then upgrade those myself for a little extra
    Last edited by Muggydude; 06-05-2020 at 11:47 AM.

Ripmo AF before a used carbon bike. You do not want to go through warranty on any of those.

Heavier by only a little bit. Upgrade the wheels and bam...sick bike.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Ripmo AF before a used carbon bike. You do not want to go through warranty on any of those.
    I've owned 70+ carbon bikes over the last five years, and the only time I've ever had to deal with a warranty issue on a frame was when the Spot Rollik broke due to a design flaw. Otherwise, nothing. Plus, these days most companies are so used to working with second-hand buyers that they have really good "crash replacement" offerings.

Overall I've only had a few warranty situations, and those were with droppers or smaller parts.

Yeah let's not do this. I've dealt with warranty on Spot, Trek (3 times) Rocky mountain, Scott, Easton, Stan's...can't think of more right now.

Purely as a consumer. Not as a dealer or guide operation who has a lot of bikes. Your experience does not match that of a consumer.

I don't go around bashing any of those companies after the fact...which you do...and you lose my respect more every time you do it. At this point I wonder who you will burn next but the industry has seen people like you come and go...

2nd hand is not easy to warranty. I've been breaking carbon for 15 years now. Yes the industry has gotten better. No they don't warranty without original buyers receipt except for a few companies. So I don't recommend it and most bike shops say the same. I've had multiple friends hospitalized due to broken carbon. You've had a YouTube douche bag get famous and you moved to another brand. Different situations.

Btw you brought it up...again...and I have no reason to just let you get off with it.

I broke that same bike you had your shit experience with. First and last time you will hear about it. I got over it and never went to the internet to get them involved.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I've had multiple friends hospitalized due to broken carbon.
    It's always the carbon bars, ain't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    <snip> Or other long travel 29ers that climb well I should look at?
    Guerilla Gravity?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    It's always the carbon bars, ain't it?
    Yup. Happened to me also. I got lucky with just bruised arm protecting my face.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Sorry, but you have absolutely no fucking clue what you're talking about. I'm also interested how I "went to the internet to get them involved". Please enlighten me.
    I'm sure to you "setting the story straight" is what I'm calling "bashing"

You should change your Pinkbike name. Maybe just drop the whole Rollik story all together at this point. It's been 2 years now. And I know just about all the details from the other side and yours because you don't stop talking about it online.

Likely you will double down. I hope not. You seem like a good enough dude. Just a little bit egotistical. I am as well but I'll stop when I'm asked.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Guerilla Gravity?
    While the smash is an awesome bike, I think it's climbing capabilities are a notch down from the ripmo or something like a yeti 5.5. The smash is just a little more descending oriented.

Which, of course, makes it even more fun, and being marginally slower on climbs is worth it for the descent.

Very marginally. I'm pretty impressed with the GG suspension

I had sold my bike so waiting for a V2 wasn't an option. I bought a V1 frameset and put a 170mm Fox 38 on it, figuring I could always sell it and go V2 later. Being on the V1 has changed my mind though. The 170 fork brought the headset to within a 1/2* of the V2. That brings the only difference being a slightly more progressive rate on the V2. I actually prefer a more linear rate so, for me at least, the V1 w/ 170 fork is a better option than the V2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Anyone know how to get a snapped off solid hickory hammer handle, wrapped in a cotton rag out of a carbon seat post tube?
    So I was replacing my dropper yesterday with a newer version. After removing my old dropper and tying off a dental floss line on the old cable and pulling it though the internal routing, I decided it would be a good idea to clean out the inside of the seat tube before I installed the new dropper. I have a proper tool for this, same tool I use to clean out fork stanchions on rebuilds.
    I was too lazy to pull out this speciality tool, so I hastely wrapped a rag around the handle of a soft blow hammer, sprayed some cleaner into the seat tube and shoved the hammer handle down onto the tube. I quickly realized that the slightly tapered handle of the hammer was the wrong tool. Even with the minimal initial down pressure on the "tool" it quickly became apparent that this was a very, very bad decision.
    The hammer handle, within seconds, was stuck and embedded in the seat post tube. It was as solid as a 25 year old aluminum post in a steel frame that have lived outside its whole life.
    It would not budge, I couldn't get enough leverage to pull up on the hammer. I had to sit on the work shop floor with my feet on the frame pulling on the hammer. No luck, even with silicone spray soaking the cotton rag to try to reduce its bulk. , A twisting motion only resulting in cracking sounds from the 20 year old hickory handle.
    The handle eventually snapped off.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5063.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	380.1 KB 
ID:	330766
    My next course of action was to remove the cranks and punch out the press fit bottom bracket to see if there was access from inside the BB shell. No luck with the BB shell it was a solid shell with no access.
    So now I have a snapped off hickory hammer handle wrapped in a cotton rag, 5" deep in my seat tube, creeping deeper and deeper towards the slight bend in the tube (which will create an even more complex wedge).
    I went to the carpentry section of my shop and pulled out a 18" long x 3/4" auger drill bit.

Name:	IMG_5064.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	523.2 KB 
ID:	330765
    With some aggressive (yet careful) drilling, and frequently turning the bike upside down to remove a collection of cotton and wood bits, I eventually removed enough material, and was able to pull the handle out of the seat tube with the drill bit.

Name:	IMG_5061.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	330767
    What a fucking mess.