Page 85 of 533 FirstFirst ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 13303

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    I’m debating getting into the whole zwift smart trainer game for the winter and upcoming gym closures.... I don’t really want to dump 1k plus into a trainer....
    I just got an Elite Suito and find it to be pretty nice for $750. My friend who works at Sufferfest tells me that they are all pretty decent now (2020). Older trainers did seem to have a lot of trouble, so I didn't buy a used one.

I've also used the Wahoo Snap a bit, and those are available for about $400. The direct drive ones are so much quieter and nicer though.

Unfortunately it's already trainer season here thanks to the %$^&ing wildfire smoke and 100degree temps.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I was able to score a Tacx blue matic for under $100 Canadian so I feel that’s a good deal even tho I know it’s a lower end trainer.

so now I just have to add some wahoo or Garmin sensors and I should be good to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Chainring and hanger suggestions were good ones I hadn't tried, but both proved fruitless. It's definitely drivetrain though. I ordered a new BB on the off-hand chance that is the problem. Worst part is that this is the wife's bike.
    I've had "definitely drivetrain" creaks turn out to be some other completely random thing echoing through the downtube.

It's definitely probably the drivetrain. But do some quick checks elsewhere just to make sure.

The difference between a Smart trainer and a regular trainer is that you will feel the gradient change on the smart on.

You could ride any trainer with Zwift as long as you send some sort of power or speed to the program. But, the realism increases once you feel the grade change.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Shi(t)mano XT clutch update. The band is now broken. This der has 1500 miles on it. On the plus side, it's actually not totally shitty to ride without the clutch. I did a 50 mi ride a few days ago and aside from the chain occasionally touching my ankle it was fine. No dropped chain.

What's the best course for getting this thing warrantied? I bought the bike direct from Ibis using a buddy's employee purchase, so no shop was involved.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200906_124708.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	339165
    Last edited by climberevan; 09-07-2020 at 09:55 AM.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    The difference between a Smart trainer and a regular trainer is that you will feel the gradient change on the smart on.

You could ride any trainer with Zwift as long as you send some sort of power or speed to the program. But, the realism increases once you feel the grade change.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    totally fair... I’m thinking this will be a decent intro into it and if I like it I can upgrade and if not at least I’m not into it for a ton. Regardless it will be better then riding my crappy old stationary bike

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    The Assegai provides absolutely ludicrous traction, and doesn't have the weird no-knobs section like the DHF/R. Thus it works at any lean angle, which I like. I had one on the rear for a bit but it felt like there was tractor beam pulling be backwards, so I switched.
    do the intermediate knobs not interfere when leaning beyond a certain point? With the DHF/R2 combo i know there's the "Fuck" moment when there's no knobs bitting but they always catch in a milli second and hook up hard. Would you say the ass guy on the rear is as draggy as a DHR2

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    do the intermediate knobs not interfere when leaning beyond a certain point? With the DHF/R2 combo i know there's the "Fuck" moment when there's no knobs bitting but they always catch in a milli second and hook up hard. Would you say the ass guy on the rear is as draggy as a DHR2

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    Fuck moment is gone. Much more draggy out back than a DHR2.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Shi(t)mano XT clutch update. The band is now broken. This der has 1500 miles on it. On the plus side, it's actually not totally shitty to ride without the clutch. I did a 50 mi ride a few days ago and aside from the chain occasionally touching my ankle it was fine. No dropped chain.

What's the best course for getting this thing warrantied? I bought the bike direct from Ibis using a buddy's employee purchase, so no shop was involved.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200906_124708.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	339165
    Check with local shop. I just did a warranty like this. Shimano had some 12sp derailleurs go out without grease in the clutch and the inner "leaves" quickly became loaded with corrosion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    EXT Storia V3 rear shock? Anyone running one?

Have seen them on several EWS bikes so I assume they are the real deal. US supplier on Pinkbike can get custom tuned with a spring to your door for $1k. Seems like a good option to try vs. a Push.

I have one on my Smash, love it. I got mine from Suspension Syndicate out of SLC, I think it ended up being around $900-950 including 2 springs, mounting hardware and everything. I've previously ridden an 11-6 (version 1) on my Sentinel, and a 2018 DHX2 on a Nomad 3.

The Storia damper just feels special. It's super smooth all the way through, and the HBO feels invisible (in a good way). The adjuster ranges are all rideable, especially rebound. I've run rebound full closed, full open, and most settings in between just to see how it felt. Full fast was ride-able, but required more effort than I wanted to do every ride. I mounted up a friend's Motion Instruments data logger for a couple rides till it crapped out. It's pretty eye opening to see what the shock is doing. I wouldn't have guessed I used more than 60% of travel, but on my main benchmark trail I apparently got to around 90% 3 times. The HBO is just invisible. Also, going from a smooth flow trail to a rough chattery section didn't feel very different, but I can see the rear end data just explodes with fast movements on the graph.

Oh yeah, and it's like 300g lighter than a Push.

FYI, I found their spring calculator to be pretty accurate as an "advanced" but not expert rider, being honest about my weight. It recommended a 418# spring rate. I asked them to give me whatever they thought I needed, and the next firmer. I've heard normally they give you recommended and 1 softer. The 425 gives me about 26-28% sag, so I think I made the right call.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I have one on my Smash, love it. I got mine from Suspension Syndicate out of SLC, I think it ended up being around $900-950 including 2 springs, mounting hardware and everything. I've previously ridden an 11-6 (version 1) on my Sentinel, and a 2018 DHX2 on a Nomad 3.

The Storia damper just feels special. It's super smooth all the way through, and the HBO feels invisible (in a good way). The adjuster ranges are all rideable, especially rebound. I've run rebound full closed, full open, and most settings in between just to see how it felt. Full fast was ride-able, but required more effort than I wanted to do every ride. I mounted up a friend's Motion Instruments data logger for a couple rides till it crapped out. It's pretty eye opening to see what the shock is doing. I wouldn't have guessed I used more than 60% of travel, but on my main benchmark trail I apparently got to around 90% 3 times. The HBO is just invisible. Also, going from a smooth flow trail to a rough chattery section didn't feel very different, but I can see the rear end data just explodes with fast movements on the graph.

Oh yeah, and it's like 300g lighter than a Push.

FYI, I found their spring calculator to be pretty accurate as an "advanced" but not expert rider, being honest about my weight. It recommended a 418# spring rate. I asked them to give me whatever they thought I needed, and the next firmer. I've heard normally they give you recommended and 1 softer. The 425 gives me about 26-28% sag, so I think I made the right call.
    Sick and lighter than Push is definitely what I am after. I love my Push, but emailed them about reconfigure for new bike and no response yet. IDK if they are just slow to respond or what. I have about 3 weeks to get suspension and new wheels dialed before last race of the season.

Push charges an arm and a leg to reconfigure (like $400+ if you're doing significant changes to length, stroke, & spring), and they flat won't upgrade your old one to the new hydraulic bottom out. You can get a used one for close to that price, it's kinda silly.

Push charges an arm and a leg to reconfigure (like $400+ if you're doing significant changes to length, stroke, & spring), and they flat won't upgrade your old one to the new hydraulic bottom out. You can get a used one for close to that price, it's kinda silly.
    Welp, looks like I am gonna get a new shock then.

Andeh, I paid SS $1k. How did you get away with 900-950?

WRG, I paid on August 8, and I'm still waiting for shipping notification. Apparently, Luigi has to make the shock in Italy using the blast-forge and his special tiny hands, before it gets shipped to Suspension Syndicate in Colorado where they do the custom shim stack install, and then they gotta pack the bong a few dozen times, and then... So, I wouldn't plan on having it in 3 weeks for sure, but it does seem like the best option out there (with a premium price to match).
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Andeh, I paid SS $1k.
    This person is lying.

He has paid me NOTHING.

WRG, I paid on August 8, and I'm still waiting for shipping notification. Apparently, Luigi has to make the shock in Italy using the blast-forge and his special tiny hands, before it gets shipped to Suspension Syndicate in Colorado where they do the custom shim stack install, and then they gotta pack the bong a few dozen times, and then... So, I wouldn't plan on having it in 3 weeks for sure, but it does seem like the best option out there (with a premium price to match).
    Fuck.

I literally just got an email from Push. Cost to reconfigure my 11-6......almost $750 dollars. Are you fucking serious?

Guess I am gonna run a DHX2 since I can actually get one and then maybe get an EXT over the winter....

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Fuck.

I literally just got an email from Push. Cost to reconfigure my 11-6......almost $750 dollars. Are you fucking serious?
    Nobody said being a baller was gonna be cheap, man.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Pretty funny considering I got my Push for much cheaper than the reconfigure price. It's amazing how cheap bike stuff was last year vs this year! Supply and demand is a hell of a drug!

I guess my sticker shock was high, but in reality they are almost sending me an entire new shock for the $740.....hmmm

Ah the Enduro racer justification...

I get a little buzz beating the rest of the old guys on a stock $4000 bike with no fancy shit other than nice tires. Meanwhile I look around at push shocks, anodized parts, wireless droppers, and matching shoes. Mountain bikers love their matching stuff. Then again, the older moto guys love their farkled equipment as well. Old guys with money to blow...

You're right, I mis-remembered. I just dug up the invoice. Cost was: $950 shock, $25 each hardware (=$50 total), $15 shipping. I ordered mine 06/08, it was delivered 07/21. At the time I ordered, they estimated 3-4 weeks, so I guess it slipped a few weeks. I was waiting on my GG frame also at the time, so the shock being late didn't really bother me. I'm sure they're a bit backlogged trying to get the first batch of ERAs out also. I was told those are leaving Italy 9/14, so I'd guess you'll get your shock in that shipment. When I was waiting on mine, they said that Italy was sending them about 25 shocks all at once. I guess it makes sense for international shipping & customs. Once it gets to Utah though, you'll have it within a couple days. SS doesn't do anything to it after it arrives other than wrap it & mail it.

And while I'm going through old emails, this is what Push quoted me in October 13, 2019 to reconfigure a Sentinel 11-6 (trunnion) to a Smash (non-trunnion, different length and stroke):

Sentinel to Smash
    Rebuild $ 159
    Bridge $ 245
    Spring $ 125
    Bumper $ 20
    Hardware $ 57

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Ah the Enduro racer justification...

I get a little buzz beating the rest of the old guys on a stock $4000 bike with no fancy shit other than nice tires. Meanwhile I look around at push shocks, anodized parts, wireless droppers, and matching shoes. Mountain bikers love their matching stuff. Then again, the older moto guys love their farkled equipment as well. Old guys with money to blow...
    While I get the sentiment, when I switched to a legit coil shock I immediately blew away all my old PRs. Gear doesn't make you faster, but a fast rider can only get faster with better gear IMO.

And while I'm going through old emails, this is what Push quoted me in October 13, 2019 to reconfigure a Sentinel 11-6 (trunnion) to a Smash (non-trunnion, different length and stroke):

Sentinel to Smash
    Rebuild $ 159
    Bridge $ 245
    Spring $ 125
    Bumper $ 20
    Hardware $ 57
    This is what I got. Seems like almost an entirely new shock, no?

Warden to SB150
    Rebuild $ 159
    SS Bridge $ 245
    SS B Lever $ 24
    Body $ 78
    Shaft Assembly $ 55
    Spring $ 95
    Spring Adapter $ 22
    Bumper $ 20
    Hardware $ 43.50

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Old guys with money to blow...
    Hey, don't put down down old guys with money to blow.
    We've earned it and we'll take all the help technology has to offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.