Page 373 of 532 FirstFirst ... 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 ... LastLast
Results 9,301 to 9,325 of 13298

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    My understanding is that the 9's were even worse than the mags but its all anecdotal right

I also had an NRS built up from frame, thats what I put BB7's on, it was a good bike, a HT until you need suspension
    NRS: Not Really Suspension

I rode around on that bike a couple years back up in MT where the kids are schooling... and holy SHIT was it a twitchy mf'er. Can't believe I rode that damn thing for almost a decade and didn't kill my own damned self.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    The 9's lasted forever as long as you didn't get them hot. I still have a set lying around that was on my dirt jumper. They're 20 years old and they still work fine. Of course, they make zero power and if you get them hot then they go to shit. But for a dirt jumper they were fine.
    Yeah - I probably never got them very hot 'cause that NRS was so damned twitchy I was probably always riding pretty slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yeah - I probably never got them very hot 'cause that NRS was so damned twitchy I was probably always riding pretty slowly.
    And in your defense, those things make so little power, it takes some doing to get them hot.

And in your defense, those things make so little power, it takes some doing to get them hot.
    Probably the only time they would have gotten hot was on Porc Rim runs, and I was probably so distracted by my teeth rattling out of my skull that I didn't notice the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I want to make a contraption that ‘connects’ an impact wrench to the rear caliper (and levers?) in order to vibrate those damn last micro bubbles out! I think I’ll just try it gently with a rag. I may be on to something!
    Massage gun would do it.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    NRS: Not Really Suspension

I rode around on that bike a couple years back up in MT where the kids are schooling... and holy SHIT was it a twitchy mf'er. Can't believe I rode that damn thing for almost a decade and didn't kill my own damned self.
    well the engineering/angles/ suspension wheel sizes have got way slacker/ way better which is why I don't see how anyone would want to ride a vintage anything
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I want to make a contraption that ‘connects’ an impact wrench to the rear caliper (and levers?) in order to vibrate those damn last micro bubbles out! I think I’ll just try it gently with a rag. I may be on to something!
    Orbital sanders without a sanding disc.

I'm going to try it with my next bleed, but it will be hard to 'quantify' if it works. It would be cool if some of you try it too.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Duh.

Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 361
Size:  3.8 KB
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Shimanos are clearly the best brakes. Just make sure you wipe off the vibrator before and after your bleed procedure.

Shimanos are clearly the best brakes. Just make sure you wipe off the vibrator before and after your bleed procedure.
    Was that a Shimano jab? I've haven't cared about micro-bubbles since my last pair of Juicy brakes.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Whenever I have remotely experienced this, it was the result of an incomplete/impatient bleed. If that is the same as ‘wandering bite point’, which I haven’t experienced while actually riding.
    This. It was just about where that one bubble is in the line.. Then, if you get more air for whatever reason.. it starts to wander in.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Was that a Shimano jab? I've haven't cared about micro-bubbles since my last pair of Juicy brakes.
    A jab makes it sound so violent. It was more of a therapeutic insertion.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I had zero problem with the Juicy & never had to bleed them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I need a 30.9 dropper post with some setback. There aren't too many of them available. The only one's I've found are the discontinued Specialized Command Post, 9point8 Fall Line (and Fall Line R), and KS E-Ten. I went into a local shop today that had the older setback Specialized Command Post and the mechanic there urged me not to buy it because he said they all usually fail in less than a year. The 9point8 could work but there are reviews that say its finicky and requires lots of maintenance which I would rather not have to worry about. The KS is super heavy and also seems to have reliability issues. Is there anything I'm missing? What is the least-crappy setback dropper post?

Haven't tried it, but this might be worth a look:
    https://www.fairbicycle.com/product-page/drop-best

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I’ve had never felt it before, and have read so much about it, and always wondered if I was just not sensitive to it, and that’s why I had never “felt” it.
    But last week on a long and rough sustained decent I actually experienced it for the first time.
    I assume a micro bubble got bounced to a spot in the lever that cause the bit point to momentarily change mid breaking, my levers pulled slightly further to the bar before biting, I let off the brakes and on the next pull the lever was back to where is always has bitten (bite-ed?)
    I did a quick funnel burb that night, the first maintenance since switching pads in June, and no issues since.
    I’ll stay on team Shimano!
    What about wandering further out? Occasionally on my dominions during a long descent the bite point of the rear brake will suddenly be significantly further away from the handlebar. Quickly releasing the brake and pulling it again always resets it. Only happens on long or steep descends where Im braking more than normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

My experience with Shimano brakes was that they would just grab at random spots. The lever never pulled to the bar but I like to know where in the stroke the pads will contact the rotor, you know?
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    My experience with Shimano brakes was that they would just grab at random spots. The lever never pulled to the bar but I like to know where in the stroke the pads will contact the rotor, you know?
    Yea yea yea, we’ve been over this a million times.
    Half the keyboard experts think Shimano brakes are death traps, the other half think they cure cancer.

The Sram camp leaves out how only the Code RSC works well.
    The Shimano camp leaves out how despite them working great all the time, they do need to be bled more often if you want them to feel great.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    What about wandering further out? Occasionally on my dominions during a long descent the bite point of the rear brake will suddenly be significantly further away from the handlebar. Quickly releasing the brake and pulling it again always resets it. Only happens on long or steep descends where Im braking more than normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most modern brakes have a reservoir in the lever. When the oil heats up, it expands, and the reservoir compensates for that expansion. But the reservoir is only accessible when the lever is at or near full extension (when you pull the lever, the reservoir is cut off so power is directed into the caliper rather than the reservoir). So it sounds like you just need to feather the brakes a bit more to allow the fluid access to the reservoir more often.

Most modern brakes have a reservoir in the lever. When the oil heats up, it expands, and the reservoir compensates for that expansion. But the reservoir is only accessible when the lever is at or near full extension (when you pull the lever, the reservoir is cut off so power is directed into the caliper rather than the reservoir). So it sounds like you just need to feather the brakes a bit more to allow the fluid access to the reservoir more often.
    Makes sense since it only happens in occasions where I’m on the brakes for an extended period of time which isn’t all that often. I try to release and modulate as much as possible for heat dissipation (and I think it helps go faster)
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Haven't tried it, but this might be worth a look:
    https://www.fairbicycle.com/product-page/drop-best
    Thanks, that looks pretty cool! $100+ for a clamp is a lot but it looks like Reverbs aren't too expensive. Is the Reverb significantly better than the 9point8?

Depending on how much drop you’re looking for, I’ve got a 125mm Command Post that I’ll send your way for cheap. It could use a quick tear down and relube, but it never caused me any problems.

No kick turns
    No mercy

Thanks Grubbers! Sent you a pm

I’ve got this ~4 year old Reynolds carbon wheel set. They always suck to set up tubeless because the valve won’t seal.
    As far as I can tell, “standard” valve hole (inside surface of the rim) is 9/32” and the hole in these is 1/4”. The end result is that the rubber stopper on the valve never sets into the hole, and instead just sits on top.
    Debating whether to drill it out. I’ve never drilled into carbon. I’m skeert. Any thoughts from the collective?