Page 377 of 524 FirstFirst ... 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 ... LastLast
Results 9,401 to 9,425 of 13097

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    What you're describing is a droplet, a term I first heard used by a certain trailbuilding ER nurse in Moab.
    Ayup! Heard the same thing from him, and use the term still.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

ok experts, need a replacement for my beloved 1989 specialized epic allez dura ace, picked up used in high school and has served a faithful 25k over 25 years, 4 seattle to portlands, 12 years as a campus commuter, and 5 years of ~100mi/wk on trainer, but rear rim has cracked, hub cup pitted, bb shot, and lugged cf frame is well past its best by date...

what do i now want as a replacement?
    99% use on trainer, occasional road rides but no interest in races, and planning a few bikepacking trips with friends (gravel/dirt roads nothing crazy)

was thinking of finding an old used steel frame and using good parts off my allez, but the amount of good parts that would transfer over is limited, and good used frames are $$$, so been looking at other options

now thinking of a cheap gravel bike and just throwing trainer tire on the rear and maybe lace up set of road wheels for it someday if ever care enough

canyon grizl and db haanjo can both be had for sub 2k with grx and ok wheels, really digging the 1by grizl in pink and its on sale for black friday...

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/gravel-...nfarbe=VT%2FBK
    https://www.diamondback.com/bikes/ro.../haanjo-5-4478

anybody got some thoughts here?

Does anybody know if a Shimano 8100 XT chain is "directional". I recently had my LBS replace my chain and cassette and I immediately felt that there was a drag when pedaling. not a noisy or obvious feeling but a slight drag kinda like a B screw issue.

Well, I looked at and readjusted the B screw with no results and took bike back to LBS and the mechanic rode it and didn't really feel what I felt. Anyway, I did a ride yesterday and the drag was noticeable so when I got home I replaced the chain with my old chain and the problem went away. So, trying to figure out how a new chain had a issue and thinking the chain was maybe directional and was put on backwards or something else. I know that the graphics on the chain need to face outward, this new XT chain didn't have any graphics. I was stupid on not really looking this chain when I took it off as I was focused on installing my old chain properly.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    ok experts, need a replacement for my beloved 1989 specialized epic allez dura ace, picked up used in high school and has served a faithful 25k over 25 years, 4 seattle to portlands, 12 years as a campus commuter, and 5 years of ~100mi/wk on trainer, but rear rim has cracked, hub cup pitted, bb shot, and lugged cf frame is well past its best by date...

99% use on trainer, occasional road rides but no interest in races, and planning a few bikepacking trips with friends (gravel/dirt roads nothing crazy)

was thinking of finding an old used steel frame and using good parts off my allez, but the amount of good parts that would transfer over is limited, and good used frames are $$$, so been looking at other options

now thinking of a cheap gravel bike and just throwing trainer tire on the rear and maybe lace up set of road wheels for it someday if ever care enough

canyon grizl and db haanjo can both be had for sub 2k with grx and ok wheels, really digging the 1by grizl in pink and its on sale for black friday...

If you don’t give a shot about the name on the down tube this looks to be a great deal.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products...oadbike-xx.htm

Carbon F and F, all the “braze” ons, sram apex group w hydraulic brakes, wtb wheels etc.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    Does anybody know if a Shimano 8100 XT chain is "directional". I recently had my LBS replace my chain and cassette and I immediately felt that there was a drag when pedaling. not a noisy or obvious feeling but a slight drag kinda like a B screw issue.

Well, I looked at and readjusted the B screw with no results and took bike back to LBS and the mechanic rode it and didn't really feel what I felt. Anyway, I did a ride yesterday and the drag was noticeable so when I got home I replaced the chain with my old chain and the problem went away. So, trying to figure out how a new chain had a issue and thinking the chain was maybe directional and was put on backwards or something else. I know that the graphics on the chain need to face outward, this new XT chain didn't have any graphics. I was stupid on not really looking this chain when I took it off as I was focused on installing my old chain properly.

Any ideas?
    If the chain has an arrow stamped into it, it's directional. If it only has letters / logos on one side, that side should face out. Otherwise it's not directional.

If your chainring and/or cassette are worn, the new chain might not be meshing into the teeth well. This can range from "a minor annoyance that will sort itself out in a couple of rides" to "you're going to destroy your new chain very quickly," depending on how worn everything is. What did your old chain measure at?

I had heard the writing-on-the-plates thing but I usually don't pay attention so this time I checked my new X01 before instal

There was print on either side seemingly the chain was manufactured with the plates in random order

so if this was true I don't see how it could be for X01 chains

I know you wana pay attention to masterlinks so they don't fail

maybe the chain has a binding link ?

is random order an oxymoron ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If you bought a new XT chain it should be stamped m8100 as shown in the attached picture. And that side faces out. The XT quicklink will be the only link with an arrow.

That said, I think the direction of the chain would only affect shifting and not straight line pedaling drag. Sounds like something is definitely binding. Is the new cassette an XT?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	719056F6-6E41-467F-80CA-D14FE92BBC0A.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	391.5 KB 
ID:	435743

Please post a few pictures of the chain from both sides.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I think all of Shimano's 10, 11, and 12 speed chains are directional/asymmetric. If there's no writing on either side (not even the "HG" logo) I'm guessing the chain is either a fake or some other brand (but most brands still have some sort of writing). Also the 11 and 12 speed Shimano quick links are directional (arrow should point in direction of crank rotation).

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Also the 11 and 12 speed Shimano quick links are directional (arrow should point in direction of crank rotation).
    Same with Sram (although Sram chain aren't directional).

one could goggle the question, I can't be bothered

OK, first the chain and cassette are 8100 12 speed and bought new and it is replacing the same as the bike is 1x12 XT. I did replace the derailleur with a XTR a few months ago. The chain I was replacing was probably OK as it only had maybe 400 miles but I didn't want to match it with a new cassette.

Like I said above I didn't look at the chain when I removed it to see if the graphics were on the outside, I guess it was installed correctly but ??. I could reinstall it myself but right now my bike is running good with old chain and new cassette so might move forward and keep new chain as a spare but right now not confident with it.

I just looked at my new chain and it does have graphics similar to the pic above...... Thanks for the thoughtful responses.

As stated the graphics should face outward.

Did they degrease and relube the new chain? Factory lube is pretty thick. Also your old chain can't possibly be worn out at 400 mi unless you're putting 800W through it all the time. I finally replaced an XT chain at 5000 miles (.5% wear), but I use wax and am very spinny so ymmv.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Its not really lube its just a corrosion coating to keep the chain from rusting, I used to douse new chains with pro-gold which would clean and lube pretty well but using wax you have to clean it all off before the swithc and the best way is naptha

A few thoughts:

1. If buying for so much trainer use, and your trainer is anywhere near as old as your Allez, you may find you’ll need a new trainer as the bikes you point out + the Motobecane all have through axles. Starting point for you may be trainer shopping?

2. For mostly trainer/some touring use, a steel, rim-brake cyclocross bike may be the ticket. People have all but replaced them with the disc-brakes versions, so there should theoretically be a bunch of these sitting around. If none on CL, maybe time to make some lowball offers on proscloset, bicyclebluebook, or other sites that Carvana-d themselves with inventory of this now-defunct category?

3. If you go with the Canyon, definitely get the Grape color!

Mainly just thought #1, though, and the Canyon looks sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post

99% use on trainer, occasional road rides but no interest in races, and planning a few bikepacking trips with friends

<snip>

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    If you don’t give a shot about the name on the down tube this looks to be a great deal.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products...oadbike-xx.htm

Carbon F and F, all the “braze” ons, sram apex group w hydraulic brakes, wtb wheels etc.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    no shits given on branding, but ive been less than impressed with bikes direct previously, they usually spec all the small bits with low grade parts which adds up to a less than fun experience in 6 months of use, also geo can be hit/miss

will have to look at them more thoroughly and see how compares

Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    A few thoughts:

1. If buying for so much trainer use, and your trainer is anywhere near as old as your Allez, you may find you’ll need a new trainer as the bikes you point out + the Motobecane all have through axles. Starting point for you may be trainer shopping?

2. For mostly trainer/some touring use, a steel, rim-brake cyclocross bike may be the ticket. People have all but replaced them with the disc-brakes versions, so there should theoretically be a bunch of these sitting around. If none on CL, maybe time to make some lowball offers on proscloset, bicyclebluebook, or other sites that Carvana-d themselves with inventory of this now-defunct category?

3. If you go with the Canyon, definitely get the Grape color!

Mainly just thought #1, though, and the Canyon looks sweet.
    trainer is a kickr snap, so wheel on and they do make an axle for 142x12 which is like 50 bucks

ive been looking for a used deal but not finding anything better than whats available new, lots of bling bikes i cant afford but not much in the 1-2k range in my size (xl) and desired specs

i also really like the grape color which makes it more difficult to hold back from clicking buy...

but the next model down is also a good deal and shares dt wheelset but with grx400 instead of 600/812 mix

and the haanjo is nice groupset and hed wheels for good price and free ship which also adds up

anyone comment on groupsets? hows apex 1 by compare?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If it only has letters / logos on one side, that side should face out. Otherwise it's not directional.
    Face out and with numbers/letters right side up above or below the chainstays? Because if that doesn't matter, then it is not directional, unless the inner plates and outer plates are completely different but still symmetrical.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Face out and with numbers/letters right side up above or below the chainstays? Because if that doesn't matter, then it is not directional, unless the inner plates and outer plates are completely different but still symmetrical.
    Face out as in face out. Doesn't matter which way the letters are right side up. They face out.

I have my nice WAO wheel set, that's currently set up with Boost, Torque Cap, I9 1-1 hubs. I want to run it in a current Fox 40. I think that I have two options:

1) I swap out the hub for the cheap DH hub that came with the bike. Pros: no weird adaptors, I have a wheel that works perfectly with this fork. Cons: I have a wheel that will need a hub swap if I ever want to run it in a 15 mm axle fork again.

2) I buy this kit, dig up my old non-torque cap end caps, and party on. Pros: I can swap my wheel to another fork anytime, it only takes one bolt to get my wheel on and off. Cons: It's marginally less stiff?

It seems like a pretty obvious call to just buy the adaptor kit, right? Or am I missing something the experts can educate me on?

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    I have my nice WAO wheel set, that's currently set up with Boost, Torque Cap, I9 1-1 hubs. I want to run it in a current Fox 40. I think that I have two options:

1) I swap out the hub for the cheap DH hub that came with the bike. Pros: no weird adaptors, I have a wheel that works perfectly with this fork. Cons: I have a wheel that will need a hub swap if I ever want to run it in a 15 mm axle fork again.

2) I buy this kit, dig up my old non-torque cap end caps, and party on. Pros: I can swap my wheel to another fork anytime, it only takes one bolt to get my wheel on and off. Cons: It's marginally less stiff?

It seems like a pretty obvious call to just buy the adaptor kit, right? Or am I missing something the experts can educate me on?
    3) Rebuild with a hub that's convertible between 15mm and 20mm with different endcaps. So you'll have to buy a hub and deal with a rebuilding the wheel, but then you can switch axle standards quickly and easily. i9 Torch hubs could do that, as can a bunch of others (although not the 1/1's or Hydras).

Not sure that's the best option. But it's at least another option.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Did they use authentic queso or store bought from a jar?
    Its only authentic if you get one of your illegals to lube your chain

Help finding the right frame

I’ve collected a fair number of spare parts from upgrading my Levo SL, and I’d like to buy a used frame and assemble a bike for my 26 year old son. He’s a bit of a roadie and hasn't had an MTB since he was a kid. I’m thinking a trail frame would suit him and match the parts I’ve been pulling. I’m sure more issues will pop up once I really get into this, but right now I’m mainly struggling with how to identify a used frame that will work with the fork I have. I know this is going about it backasswards, but I’m trying to keep the cost down by re-using every last part on hand.
    The fork is a Fox 34 Rhythm, 150mm travel, 51mm offset. Because the head tube on my medium Levo SL is so short (95mm), the fork steerer tube is 5 7/8" measured up from the crown race. Ideally I’d find a frame with boost rear hub spacing that shipped with a 150mm travel, 51mm offset and also has a 95 mm head tube, but I think that’s going to be pretty limiting. So I guess my questions are:
    • Should we limit ourselves to bikes that shipped with 150mm forks, or could we get away with frames that came equipped from the manufacturer with say 140mm or 160mm forks?
    • The reading I’ve done suggests that the difference between 51mm offset and 44mm offset is going to result in a bit quicker steering, but is probably not going to be noticeable to a novice rider. Any disagreement on this?
    • How much exposed steerer tube do we need? I have two 5mm spacers below my stem, and one 5mm spacer above it, and my math skills tell me that we could go with a 105mm head tube, and get rid of two spacers, and the fork would “fit”. But do we need to have some minimum spacers in the stack above and below the stem?

Any suggestions on frames I should look for on PinkBike, or better yet frames that someone here is getting ready to sell is appreciated.
    The riding will mostly be done in Marin in places like Tamarancho, China Camp, etc. and I don’t really expect him to be riding anything too rowdy (at least for a while).

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I'll have a brand new never used 29" 160mm 44mm offset 36 Rhythm available in 25 days if that opens up more options. In the Bay Area too. Not sure on what the steerer tube length will be (coming on a S3 Levo Comp). Will also have the bars, stem, dropper, brakes, etc. available too.

I'd look for a Hightower, Ripmo v1, Stumpjumper, etc. They should all be pretty common around here, although most people will be asking too much. Those will all pedal mellower stuff fine, but not hold him back as he progresses.

My fallback option is to buy a used fork too, but since it's going to be hard to unload my existing fork with such a short steerer tube, that would increase the cost of the project.

Stumpjumper was on the list, and was also keeping an eye out for Ibis and Santa Cruz models on Pink Bike, but yeah, those brands seem to demand a premium.