Page 223 of 531 FirstFirst ... 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,575 of 13262

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Yup. Same experience here. The big jump on the 11 speed shimano drove me nuts and I thought I'd hate the jump on the new 52 tooth sram but it doesn't bug me at all.
    The Sunrace 11 speed cassettes are cheap, (some) not boat anchors, and the 11-46 has a not terrible jump between the last two cogs.

Shifts nicely, no bad noises, no undue wear.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

When I got a set of LBs back in ~2014 there were no spare spokes in the box. I didn't have any troubles with mine, but a) I weigh 165 b) I wasn't very fast / didn't take "race lines" at the time c) I've anecdotally heard that the QC is a bit of a crapshoot with their rims. Most of the time, they're plenty stout, but some people have had multiple failures. And no one ever has said that their warranty process is something you want to deal with.

Ask the experts

Torch the pads then rub them in the dirt. Don’t know why, but it works.

As a non wheel breaker that’s broken two carbon rims, my only advice is to consider quick warranty service in your decision. Rebuilding on existing hub and spokes is easy, as long as you have a rim to build with.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

BTLOS has been great for us with 2 sets in the family. They include spare spokes if you ask, and will give a $30 discount. Same with Farsports (also 2 pair). I had some LB wheels a while back and the rims seemed basically the same.

30mm IW (NOT, ID, which stands for Inner Diameter, but we've been down that road in this thread already) will be a nice width if you're running 2.4-2.6 tires. If the rims are around 380g or so they will prob be pretty strong. Getting under 1400g might be pushing it for your weight. My personal wheels are 27mm IW and 1380g with DT 240s, and I like them a lot.

FWIW the fancy brands, along with BTLOS and others are doing a shallow style that supposedly is more impact resistant and a little less vertically stiff. IDK if LB has anything similar.

Warranty on the Chinese wheels is hypothetically pretty good but the real life experiences I've heard of (and had) are not so great. They ask you to pay shipping, sometimes both ways, so it's barely worth it. If you don't think you'll break one though the savings is huge.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Fwiw, I recently cracked two LB 'enduro' wheels in quick succession. The first one they offered me a 15% discount. Blew that up too, they offered me a 65% discount if I moved up to the DH rims. They said that I "exceeded the design intentions" of the enduro rim. Im taking that as a compliment to my riding, and not a subtle hint that i could be a lard-ass.

I'm getting another rim from BTLOS to build a rear wheel around the hydra hub I scored. I am happy with the ones I have, 30mm IW shallow rims. Not sure I could feel the difference between shallow and regular if I rode them back to back but I like the look of the shallow rims now and going back to my old alu wheel with a tall rim looks odd.

I'm going J-bend this time as I've had a hell of a time replacing a spoked on a straight-pull DT (they sent me 2 extras) and sourcing more right now isn't exactly easy. I'm also going with 32 holes and enduro construction (my current set is 28 holes all-mountain construction). I'm 20 lbs lighter than you and haven't broken anything yet but given my streak of gear explosion this summer I think adding 50 grams of carbon and 10 grams of spokes is worth it. If LB is anything like BTLOS you should upgrade the ratchet to 54 right now (that works on the new EXT hubs right?), it will be cheaper than doing it aftermarket.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

IDK, don't all the cool kids have 28 bladed spoke wheels?

I'm good with 10 degree engagement.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

32h, Sapim D-light, brass nipples: a little bit cheaper, a little bit heavier. Are they that much burlier?
    No longer stuck.

I do have 28 hole carbon rims. specialized roval traverse wheels. Best wheels I've owned. Everyone I know on the same wheels says the same thing. I forget I'm on carbon rims. Dtswiss hubs and equal spoke lengths FTW

I think I have 28h wheels on my hardtail. It's fine.
    Also, Sapim Race isn't available as a selection and D-light seems rather thin. Then again, I don't seem to be getting any trouble from the lightweight spokes and (aluminum?) nipples on my Flows, so maybe it's more about the build quality.
    No longer stuck.

Also, what about I9 1/1's? Can also do 28 J bend spokes. Comes out pretty light with brass nipples and 30mm internal rims.
    Also, no way to get Microspline on LB's North American ready-to-ship wheels?

BTLOS much better? Seems about the same price/weight/leadtime.
    Was really hoping to keep it under 1700g, or what's the point of spending all that money?
    No longer stuck.

IDK, don't all the cool kids have 28 bladed spoke wheels?

I'm good with 10 degree engagement.
    But that upgrade is relatively cheap and easy to do. I like my 54 tooth… one of the cheapest upgrades I’ve done.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Also, what about I9 1/1's? Can also do 28 J bend spokes. Comes out pretty light with brass nipples and 30mm internal rims.
    Also, no way to get Microspline on LB's North American ready-to-ship wheels?

BTLOS much better? Seems about the same price/weight/leadtime.
    Was really hoping to keep it under 1700g, or what's the point of spending all that money?
    Don't know if they're better but when they build my wheel with DT350s they had microspline available. Not sure about the 240.
    Weight difference between 32 and 28 spokes is less than what I sweat in the first 20 minutes of my ride usually I'd rather over-build with that small a weight penalty.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Best trails to pedal to from SLT/Heavenly? Tomorrow afternoon probably the only chance we have to ride before the rest of the hooligans show up for my buddy's bachelor party.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Best trails to pedal to from SLT/Heavenly? Tomorrow afternoon probably the only chance we have to ride before the rest of the hooligans show up for my buddy's bachelor party.
    If you're up for a solid techy loop you can't do much better than up Van Sickle to the TRT, then to Star lake and down Cold Creek. It's also good the other direction.

If you're not up for something quite so long you can just go up Cold Creek to Star and back.

Be sure to call out any jackasses you see on mopeds, as all of those trails are non motorized.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Question: those of you who frequent the “bring back pics” thread know, I was in a SERIOUS wreck….spent almost 8 days in hospital. I hit a pothole and went down. I was going downhill, so prolly around 35mph (this the reason for the body damage).

Anyways, I was riding my trusty Cervelo S-2. Carbon frame and fork w/ carbon steerer tube. There doesn’t appear to be any damage to the frame/fork aside from a couple of scratches. No signs of a crack anywhere.

Despite that, I’m a little skittish about hopping back on after such a massive crash. Is there something I should be doing or some method of checking that I should be using (aside from my flashlight and glasses approach)?

Honestly, I’d just like to get a new bike, but I don’t have that kind of scratch layin around right now.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Shitty dude, having a big off on the road bike is a constant scary thought in my head. Knock on wood no crashes other than 1 random stop sign tip over but I'm just over a year in so not a ton of lifetime miles yet. Road frames are pretty light, I wouldn't take a chance I would send it to a carbon shop for examination and possible repair. Not sure where you are located but there should be shops you can ship to that specialize in this (Roberts Composites in Vancouver BC is one, have fixed a few road bikes of friends).

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Don't know if they're better but when they build my wheel with DT350s they had microspline available. Not sure about the 240.
    Weight difference between 32 and 28 spokes is less than what I sweat in the first 20 minutes of my ride usually I'd rather over-build with that small a weight penalty.
    Yeah, looking at the BLTOS now. 29mm Asymmetrical, 32 J bend Sapim Race and brass nipples. With 240's it's estimated under 1700g. That sounds burly and fast and light, and even a pretty reasonable price.
    Are aero spokes not stronger than round?
    No longer stuck.

Good ones are.

Yeah, looking at the BLTOS now. 29mm Asymmetrical, 32 J bend Sapim Race and brass nipples. With 240's it's estimated under 1700g. That sounds burly and fast and light, and even a pretty reasonable price.
    1700g seems heavy for that width with a 240 hub.
    My set of 30mm asym shallow rims with 350 hubs and 28 DT Comp Race spokes (straight pull, brass nipples) is 1544g on my scale. That's for the AM construction, EN would add another 100 g. Bet you'll be closer to 1500g for what they're building.

What’s the cost on that build?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I’ve been considering BTLOS wheels myself, maybe as a Christmas present this year. Any reason you’re looking at the 29mm asymmetric rims instead of the 30mm asymmetric shallow rims?

I’m personally leaning more towards the shallow rim for potentially a bit less harshness, and because the bead hooks are thicker so should be more resistant to impact damage (although the rims are actually hookless, so they can’t be bead hooks; is there another name when talking about a hookless rim?)

BMX experts, was that legal what went down in last nights race? Does a racer have the right to their lane after leaving the lip and to the landing?

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Anyways, I was riding my trusty Cervelo S-2. Carbon frame and fork w/ carbon steerer tube. There doesn’t appear to be any damage to the frame/fork aside from a couple of scratches. No signs of a crack anywhere.

Despite that, I’m a little skittish about hopping back on after such a massive crash. Is there something I should be doing or some method of checking that I should be using (aside from my flashlight and glasses approach)?
    Sorry about the wreck.

Carbon repair places (Calfee, Spyder) will do inspections as well, you'll have to send it to them though. Might be worth checking with Cervelo and/or your LBS, they might help coordinate inspection and/or offer a crash replacement. You can also go over it carefully yourself, use a loupe to magnify and tap the frame with a coin to check for consistent tone.

With a hard hit like that I'd probably at least replace the fork.

Wheelie mags:

I’m having a hell of a time learning to wheelie. I have a pretty good grasp of the fore and aft balance; elbows locked, head up, brake modulation but I keep falling to the side. I’ve tried turning the wheel. What is the hip motion? Any drills to practice?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    Wheelie mags:

I’m having a hell of a time learning to wheelie. I have a pretty good grasp of the fore and aft balance; elbows locked, head up, brake modulation but I keep falling to the side. I’ve tried turning the wheel. What is the hip motion? Any drills to practice?
    Your bike might be too small? Ask your dad to buy you a 20” wheel bike now that you are growing…..