Page 332 of 524 FirstFirst ... 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 ... LastLast
Results 8,276 to 8,300 of 13093

Thread: Ask the experts

Yeah, I definitely think that Shimano's derailleurs don't hold up as well to getting tweaked as higher-end SRAM stuff. But SRAM's clutches wear out (a lot) faster and aren't adjustable to compensate for said wear, so pick your poison.

X3 or whatever on shimano derailleurs being soft. Haven't had great luck with their clutches either.

I'm back on the sram bandwagon. Gx derailleurs last me a season or so, which is about 40% longer than I was getting out of XT's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Are Shimano 12 speed derailleur cages extra soft or something? In the past month I've bent two and because they're out of stock everywhere, I've ended up buying a new derailleur both times to keep my bike rolling. Once they're back in stock I'll repair the damaged ones.

My hangers are staying perfectly true and I've never had this with X01. It could be just being unlucky but the cages keep getting slightly twisted (left or right) so it's impossible for it to shift properly. I've tried bending one back without success.
    Yep, my solution was painful but XTR is carbon caged and doesn't bend.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I've broken two XTR outer carbon cage plates without significantly bending the aluminum inner plate.

I wish there was an option I was fully stoked about.

Twisted my XTR within a month of owning it. Replaced it with XT since just the parts for XTR we’re almost the same price. XT has held so far (knock on wood).

So far I've been through one XT and one SLX. I went the cheaper route with replacements. I wouldn't really mind all that much if the replacement cages were in stock anywhere. Didn't realize the XTR was carbon... I'm a bit worried to try my luck.

Regarding the comments on Sram clutches. I seen some deterioration but honestly it has been modest. I have an XO1 with about 3800 miles on it on one of my bikes and it still works great. Tons of scratches on the body and cage... but still shifts fine. Feels like my Shimano ones take one modest impact and are toast. That being said, I do think there is a big drop off to GX for some reason even if that isn't immediately evident when looking at them.

Well, I'm out with a scapula fracture... thanks Whistler. Hopefully only 6-8 wks.

Thank you Eluder for the shimano chain ring tool!

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Yeah, I definitely think that Shimano's derailleurs don't hold up as well to getting tweaked as higher-end SRAM stuff. But SRAM's clutches wear out (a lot) faster and aren't adjustable to compensate for said wear, so pick your poison.
    This.

I was *told* but cannot confirm that XTR cages are stiffer with the carbon...
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    Well, I'm out with a scapula fracture... thanks Whistler. Hopefully only 6-8 wks.

Thank you Eluder for the shimano chain ring tool!

This.

I was *told* but cannot confirm that XTR cages are stiffer with the carbon...
    Dang, sorry to hear, @summit . Heal up, buddy.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Is the DT Swiss 240s still the best option for a lightweight and durable hub? Any issues with the current version?
    Free bump, because I’m curious too.

Heal up Summit.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Thanks hms & plug

My Roost Wheelsi31AM 29er w DT240 54T microspline just arrived. 1630g measured!!!

Super stoked to ride them when I'm healed.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Free bump, because I’m curious too.

Heal up Summit.
    I don’t think it’s a dealbreaker for 240, but unless things have changed very recently, 350’s use standard bearing sizes, whereas 240’s do not, so not as readily available and limited options for replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    Thanks hms & plug

My Roost Wheelsi31AM 29er w DT240 54T microspline just arrived. 1630g measured!!!

Super stoked to ride them when I'm healed.
    Bummer to hear Summit and I just joined the club today w broken scapula and 3 broken ribs. Out for summer it sounds like as well.

Guess time to get some backlog projects done where I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah shit guys. Sorry to hear of your scapula and rub injuries. Heal up!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Ah shit guys. Sorry to hear of your scapula and rub injuries. Heal up!
    Guys, you’re doing it wrong. You’re supposed to break yourself at the tail end of ski season so that you’re healed up by the time bike season is in full swing, like me!

Then you plan the follow up surgery at the tail end of bike season, so you’re ready when ski season is in high gear.

It’s simple really.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I don’t think it’s a dealbreaker for 240, but unless things have changed very recently, 350’s use standard bearing sizes, whereas 240’s do not, so not as readily available and limited options for replacement.
    Makes me want to source some spares now before I might need them.

Heal up the chicken wings fellas

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Makes me want to source some spares now before I might need them.

They are not hard to come by, they are always available from a few different brands.
    They just use a less common size, so you can't just buy any old generic Chinese cheap bearing like a common 6802.

I am installing new SLX 4-piston calipers to replace my XT 8000's. When installing the banjo bolt opening is on opposite sides between the new calipers and the old ones. If I keep the hose running to the outside of the wheel like it used to, the hose has to go to the bottom of the caliper and is blocked by the caliper body itself. I mounted it with the logo facing out and the banjo inside. There seems to be clearence to the spokes but it seems strange, is this alright or does the banjo always come in from the outside? Pictures of the mounted brake below. Thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5001.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	633.9 KB 
ID:	420595Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5002.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	594.8 KB 
ID:	420596

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer123 View Post
    I am installing new SLX 4-piston calipers to replace my XT 8000's. When installing the banjo bolt opening is on opposite sides between the new calipers and the old ones. If I keep the hose running to the outside of the wheel like it used to, the hose has to go to the bottom of the caliper and is blocked by the caliper body itself. I mounted it with the logo facing out and the banjo inside. There seems to be clearence to the spokes but it seems strange, is this alright or does the banjo always come in from the outside? Pictures of the mounted brake below. Thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5001.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	633.9 KB 
ID:	420595Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5002.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	594.8 KB 
ID:	420596
    You have it right in those photos, they just moved the banjo.

Thanks! Was about to put the rear one on and couldn't decide if I was blowing it.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    You have it right in those photos, they just moved the banjo.

How is the EWS so popular? Recap videos are boring and you can't watch it live online, or can you? Is the EWS financially doing well? Is it mainly Euro fans supporting it?

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Is the DT Swiss 240s still the best option for a lightweight and durable hub? Any issues with the current version?
    For an extra 38 grams, the project 321 rear hub has a long list of advantages over the DT240. Similar price.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    How is the EWS so popular? Recap videos are boring and you can't watch it live online, or can you? Is the EWS financially doing well? Is it mainly Euro fans supporting it?
    I’ll let you know end of August, we’re hosting a stop this year. They told us to expect over 3,000 spectators. We get a few hundred at a regional enduro event we host, I’m hoping to be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I’ll let you know end of August, we’re hosting a stop this year. They told us to expect over 3,000 spectators. We get a few hundred at a regional enduro event we host, I’m hoping to be surprised.

You're in Burke?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    You're in Burke?
    Sugarloaf, ME. We’re the week after Burke

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Don't worry this is the team in charge of UCI DH media next year. Its gonna be great.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025