Page 104 of 531 FirstFirst ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 13255

Thread: Ask the experts

Chammy shorts plus winter specific leg warmers plus knee pads plus soft shell activity shorts plus warm socks plus goretex
    socks is how I roll my lower body for shit weather.

I do think I want some bar mitts for this winter though ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Re. pants:
    I always feel a bit dorky with Legwarmers and knee pads.

So, these have been great: https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho...ant/p/19112004

Light enough to wear without getting too hot in wet / cool conditions.

(Disclosure: I work for PI).

My pant progression goes something like:

Shorts/bibs (down to about 50F)
    Shorts/bibs/knee warmers (50-40F)
    Shorts/bib tights (40-35F)
    Costco Softshell pants/bibs (35-20F)
    Costco Softshell pants/bib tights (<20F)

If it's really wet I may wear rain pants instead of the softshell pants. I hate feeling like I'm wearing a plastic bag.

I don't like pants either but I wear them when I need to get out on a winter fat bike ride and cold weather prevents this (and I don't have time to go skiing).

For hands:

Lightweight full finger (down to 50F)
    Amazon ice ninja (50-35F)
    Black Diamond lightweight gauntlet (40-20F

I used to use a dakine palmless neoprene mitt for cold weather whitewater kayaking. I've wondered whether this might be viable for cold weather riding also - just not sure how the mitt would work with brake levers.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Re. pants:

So, these have been great: https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho...ant/p/19112004

That’s crazy, I ordered those, this morning before seeing this post just now. They look excellent. Riding in late fall when the ground starts to firm up and all the leaves are blown, is really freaking good. Grip is like Velcro. It usually doesn’t snow around here till mid December. I’ll wear them over tights and should be perfect for 35-45 degree days.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Look at nordic ski gloves for cold weather riding. I use Swix gloves for MTB and gravel.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If it's too cold to ride in shorts + knee pads + tall socks, then I'm gonna go skiing.
    This is my standard outfit that’s comfortable into the high 30s. But I did just get a pair of Dakine Thrillium pants and I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Re. pants:

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!!!! We've got an inside guy??? Can we just start a parallel "Ask Pickles" thread?
    I really am genuinely curious if there is good PI stuff for the non-fitness oriented, downhill oriented mountain biker? So many rain pants are either super cheap, like the kind touring/roadies keep in their pack for when they need to limp back to the hostel, complete with square cut and velcro only waists. Other common "foul weather" pants come complete with crotch vents, calf vents, ass vents, knee vents which are pretty much like saying "I want the water to start there, then quickly migrate through the rest of my body". I'm honestly looking for something to wear at the bike park, on shuttle days, or in the dead of winter when we slow grind and walk to the top trying not to sweat so we don't freeze on the way down.
    So yea, Ask Pickles!
    P.S. And gloves too. A contoured waterproof glove that has minimal insulation on the grip? Get The Fuck Out!!
    However many are in a shit ton.

Yeah funny, I just got those pants too. As a tall, skinny person the legs seem to be long enough and the ankle grippers are pretty snug to stay out of the chainring.

I have the fox flex air pant that gets used a lot when its not super hot and could be wet/muddy. Not as drafty as shorts and tge legs and knee pads dont get coated in mud. Theyre super light and well vented. Wouldnt mind the ranger 3l for the cold rain/borderline snow atm. Tld also has similar stuff, 100%, leatt etc etc. Pearlbizumi has always been quality though so i'd imagine its worth itClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20201013-170321_Outlook.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	343414

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I really like duer stuff. Im kind of stuck on it now . Soo fkn comfy. Feels like wearing cotton gym pants. Its so soft but its durable, doesnt soak up water, great stretch is key. The original pair i bought(performance denim)sheds water and still stretches great and breathes. I get muddy and the mud comes right off with the hose like stain free pants and the water beads. Wear them every where , so comfy and all that tech. Bought shorts next. Wear them a ton too , only occasionally biking. Then bought a lighter colored "live lite" pant that are sunny hot but not super hot days.
    https://duer.ca/collections/mens-str...color=civilian

Now i want the "all weather denim". Theyd be great right now. Check the waterproof/breathability on those. And they still stretch and probably feel like cotton gym pants too

https://duer.ca/collections/mens-str...heritage-rinse

Ask the experts

I’m about two posts away from complaining about pants wearing heathen mtn bikers in the rant thread.

anyone have ideas on pivot bearings? I have gone through two sets of enduro bearings on a rocky mountain frame in a year. Have one creaking and wonder if there is something better?

Bottom Brackets. - just replaced a race face after a year with the same thing, but have never had a bottom bracket fail in a year. What's out there that is better at a reasonable price point?

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    anyone have ideas on pivot bearings? I have gone through two sets of enduro bearings on a rocky mountain frame in a year. Have one creaking and wonder if there is something better?

Bottom Brackets. - just replaced a race face after a year with the same thing, but have never had a bottom bracket fail in a year. What's out there that is better at a reasonable price point?
    If you've gone through 2 sets of pivot bearings in a year, you're either cleaning your bike too much or your frame is out of alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If you've gone through 2 sets of pivot bearings in a year, you're either cleaning your bike too much or your frame is out of alignment.
    Or you spend 60% of your time riding underwater.

Best glue to get patches to stick to the inside of a tire for a sidewall tear? I got a little too optimistic riding pointy chunk in low light yesterday and dissected my Dissector (he). It has about 100 miles on it so it's getting fixed.
    I don't have rubber cement on hand, would super glue be an acceptable substitute? Contact cement??
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Best glue to get patches to stick to the inside of a tire for a sidewall tear? I got a little too optimistic riding pointy chunk in low light yesterday and dissected my Dissector (he). It has about 100 miles on it so it's getting fixed.
    I don't have rubber cement on hand, would super glue be an acceptable substitute? Contact cement??
    Don't fuck around, get thee to an auto supply store and get a vulcanized patch kit. Will have everything you need.

Oh - and let me guess: fucking EXO??

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Bottom Brackets ... race face ... What's out there that is better at a reasonable price point?
    Actually I was just about to ask this question too ...

I’m running an RWC bottom bracket (also with Race Face crankset) on my main bike but not sure I wanna throw down that much for a BB for my hardtail which is my second bike/loaner bike. I might end up there anyways as this is also my winter bike - but want to explore other options first.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Don't fuck around, get thee to an auto supply store and get a vulcanized patch kit. Will have everything you need.
    Seriously. $5 gets you half a dozen bomber radial patches and more than enough rubber cement for all of them. Contact cement would probably be fine, but the cost to do this right is miniscule. Hell no on super glue, that stuff is not flexible at all.

Dissectors seem to not be holding up well in general.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I’m about two posts away from complaining about pants wearing heathen mtn bikers in the rant thread.
    Us heathens put'm on 2 legs at a time

Well, I personally wouldn’t fuck around with a sidewall tear and just chalk it up to a loss,
    If I’m being cheap I’d just replace it with a Forte Pisgah 2 rear tire for $30, or whatever Conti you can get on Amazon prime for $45.

But if you are going to be a stubborn cheap bastard then go for the proper auto patch with vulcanizing compound.

You can’t substitute other adhesives because a vulcanizing rubber compound actually breaks and re-bonds the polymer crosslinks in the tire and patch rubber. Do not fuck around with other random shit you have lying around because it won’t bond and can’t handle the dynamic load, and will probably make what’s left of the tire blow up.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Well, I personally wouldn’t fuck around with a sidewall tear and just chalk it up to a loss
    Depends on the size of the tear. I don't think twice about patching a small tear in a fresh tire and have never had one fail.

I've alwasy just used a regular tire patch kit

really good prep is key
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I think it's an EXO, the EXO+ wasn't available a few months ago. Not that it would have made much of a difference. I got a puncture in a DHF EXO+ on Sat riding the dirt road portion at the start of Crest, got sprayed by sealant for a few revolutions before it sealed. Not so lucky this time, I had to walk a couple of miles as it was dark and I didn't want to mess with a tube using my phone for light.

I have auto patches, I just don't have the cement on hand, that stuff dries out faster than anything I've ever worked with. I guess a trip to the auto parts store is in order, I was trying to weasel out of it, the anti-mask crowd is strong over there and I'm not feeling particularly in the mood for snide comments from pot-bellied ATV enthusiasts.

Re: tossing an almost new tire that has a clean gash in the sidewall, especially a rear tire, I'm gonna go with no. It's not about being cheap, replacing the tire would be a drop in the financial bucket, it's just that I think I have a 98% chance of getting a permanent fix and putting another 1000 miles on the tire before tossing it and a 2% chance of failing with no real consequences other than a bit of wasted time. I might look at a 3" gash in the front tire of a DH bike differently but in this case it's worth a shot IMO. If I'm wrong and it blows up on the first ride I'll eat crow and post about it here. With full expectations of merciless heckling. Hold me to my word like a Lindsay Graham please.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I have auto patches, I just don't have the cement on hand, that stuff dries out faster than anything I've ever worked with. I guess a trip to the auto parts store is in order, I was trying to weasel out of it, the anti-mask crowd is strong over there and I'm not feeling particularly in the mood for snide comments from pot-bellied ATV enthusiasts.
    In that case, rubber cement is available at a lot of places besides auto parts stores.

Exo should be circular filed but i use a regular patch and crazy glue. $1 for a pack of 3 tiny tubes at the dollar store