Page 185 of 524 FirstFirst ... 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,625 of 13093

Thread: Ask the experts

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Health coverage when traveling out of the country for a bike race? Does such a thing even exist? I would think most of these travel policies would NOT cover if you are in a racing scenario....but maybe I'm wrong?

Where the hell you racing, homie?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Hmmmn...my birthday is Halloween...

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Hmmmn...my birthday is Halloween...
    Dude come on down!

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Woah that looks wicked!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have friends that did that one, they said it was great.

I have no answers to your question, but that's gonna be rad. I'm jealous.

Health coverage when traveling out of the country...
    Can’t speak directly about traveling for a bike race, but being Canadian and now living/working in the States I asked our HR department if I needed travel insurance when going home to Canada or if our health plan would cover me. They basically laughed and said any other country is going to be cheaper for health care so they’re happier if I get hurt there than here.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Tell me about adding more air/PSi to fork/shock vs adding tokens and using same or less air.

Obviously (if it’s even attainable) ideal is supple, good small sensitivity off the top and ramping up towards mid and end stroke

5’9
    190 kitted
    120 pike ultimate running stock tokens and 105ish psi
    Sidlux ultimate rear shock, whatever is in there at stock baseline, 250 psi

Seems like using a lot of travel, having said that it’s a short travel bike and I like to run decent clips down trails you could easily justify bigger bikes (PNW west of cascades).

The initial sensitivity and suppleness seem ok? But obviously could always be befter
    It’s easy enough to experiment with these settings and find what you like. I usually start by setting the pressure to give me the support/ride height I want, then add or remove tokens depending on how much travel I’m using.

Running too much air pressure can make a fork feel harsh, but in my experience, running less air and more tokens can also feel harsh since you move into the really rampy part of the spring curve more often. In general, I’m a bigger fan of the the more air/fewer tokens approach.

Dude come on down!
    Ran it by wifey, and she didn’t instinctively say no...but that’s not a ‘yes’ yet...

Can confirm that Oaxaca for Día de muertos is rad. I didn’t get to ride there but I’ll be back to do it.

On my hei hei with a fox float I went with a smaller volume spacer in the shock (0.8 in2 to 0.4) and increased air pressure. I was looking for a firmer feeling suspension for pedaling and better front/rear balance. Wound up 25psi higher, sag is in a good spot, and I use most of the travel. Before that it was too harsh on rougher terrain or too squishy the rest of the time. Being tall on an xl might not help either as I'm hanging pretty far back seated compared to a smaller person/frame.

It's all very dependent on geo and how you like the bike to feel and the shock and riding terrain etc though.

I probably should have looked in the fork to see if there were any tokens when I had it apart recently for a lower service. it seems fine though. If anything I'd consider adding one.
    Last edited by jamal; 05-23-2021 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Tell me about adding more air/PSi to fork/shock vs adding tokens and using same or less air.

Obviously (if it’s even attainable) ideal is supple, good small sensitivity off the top and ramping up towards mid and end stroke

5’9
    190 kitted
    120 pike ultimate running stock tokens and 105ish psi
    Sidlux ultimate rear shock, whatever is in there at stock baseline, 250 psi

Seems like using a lot of travel, having said that it’s a short travel bike and I like to run decent clips down trails you could easily justify bigger bikes (PNW west of cascades).

The initial sensitivity and suppleness seem ok? But obviously could always be befter
    Was trying this with my Guerilla Gravity. I switched from "plush" to "crush" as I wanted better small bump sensitivity without blowing through the travel. On the 150mm Pike Ultimate, I can just reduce LSC and add rebound.
    Anyway, not sure I like it. After 1 ride, I was staying way too high in the travel and not getting much small bump sensitivity. I realized I may have needed to turn down rebound, may have over torqued the shock bolt a Newton or 2, and needed to drop 5psi in the spring.
    That said, what looks like using up all your travel may actually just be the dust ring migrating downward from vibration and gravity. So, I'll try it again with it set up properly (if it ever stops raining). I like how it popped off rollers better and I think my body position was a little better from staying higher up in the rear, but I think ultimately, I'll wind up putting it back how I had it and not messing with it anymore. Body position can just be a learned thing too. Now, your Pike is 120mm and may not have LSC, so a token might be a good idea if you're choices seem to be numb hands or blowing through the travel. Also, would a rear shock for XC racing be designed for much small bump sensitivity?

PSA: not an expert. People pass me on climbs, but not on descents and I eat crayons.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Was trying this with my Guerilla Gravity. I switched from "plush" to "crush" as I wanted better small bump sensitivity without blowing through the travel. On the 150mm Pike Ultimate, I can just reduce LSC and add rebound.
    Anyway, not sure I like it. After 1 ride, I was staying way too high in the travel and not getting much small bump sensitivity. I realized I may have needed to turn down rebound, may have over torqued the shock bolt a Newton or 2, and needed to drop 5psi in the spring.
    That said, what looks like using up all your travel may actually just be the dust ring migrating downward from vibration and gravity. So, I'll try it again with it set up properly (if it ever stops raining). I like how it popped off rollers better and I think my body position was a little better from staying higher up in the rear, but I think ultimately, I'll wind up putting it back how I had it and not messing with it anymore. Body position can just be a learned thing too. Now, your Pike is 120mm and may not have LSC, so a token might be a good idea if you're choices seem to be numb hands or blowing through the travel. Also, would a rear shock for XC racing be designed for much small bump sensitivity?

PSA: not an expert. People pass me on climbs, but not on descents and I eat crayons.
    Same! It’s an ultimate damper so has HSC and LSC just a small air spring.
    Yeah I’ll just fuckz with it
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1621799974.404468.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	896.1 KB 
ID:	375410

Will this Race Face Turbine crank work on my Non-Boost Canfield Nimble9 from 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    Will this Race Face Turbine crank work on my Non-Boost Canfield Nimble9 from 2012?
    Thats a 30mm diameter by 134mm long crank spindle.
    Your frame is a 73mm wide, BSA Threaded bottom bracket (1.375” (35mm) diameter shell, 24tpi pitch thread).

Yes that crank can work, you need a RaceFace BSA Cinch 30mm Bottom Bracket or other brand.
    The issue is a 30mm spindle in a threaded 35mm hole only allows for very small bearings, they are are prone to wearing very fast.
    That size frame and BB shell was designed for a traditional 24mm crank spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Thats a 30mm diameter by 134mm long crank spindle.
    Your frame is a 73mm wide, BSA Threaded bottom bracket (1.375” (35mm) diameter shell, 24tpi pitch thread).

Yes that crank can work, you need a RaceFace BSA Cinch 30mm Bottom Bracket or other brand.
    The issue is a 30mm spindle in a threaded 35mm hole only allows for very small bearings, they are are prone to wearing very fast.
    That size frame and BB shell was designed for a traditional 24mm crank spindle.
    Thank you! Currently running a RaceFace Evolve DH crank and the Turbine will be 280g lighter. Looks like Wheels Manufacturing has a bb that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    Thank you! Currently running a RaceFace Evolve DH crank and the Turbine will be 280g lighter. Looks like Wheels Manufacturing has a bb that will work.

Building a parts bin gravel-hipster-packing bike with old standard specs and supply chain shortages has been challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I have no answers to your question, but that's gonna be rad. I'm jealous.
    I did it in 2019. Great trails and lots of rain. I drank far too much mezcal and separately suffered from arm pump. Those decents are no joke. Train for pain.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I did it in 2019. Great trails and lots of rain. I drank far too much mezcal and separately suffered from arm pump. Those decents are no joke. Train for pain.
    This will be my 7th race of the season and I've been training since last Oct. Hoping to feel pretty strong. Still no good place to replicate that much vert in one lap (Silver Mtn maybe?)

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Was it a chill/manageable amount of people, or was it a shit-show?

I would say chill compared to other races. They limit the size and it is all expert level riders, lots of pros. The heavy drinking can be avoided if you have a semblance of self control.

This will be my 7th race of the season and I've been training since last Oct. Hoping to feel pretty strong. Still no good place to replicate that much vert in one lap (Silver Mtn maybe?)
    Silver's decent for that sort of thing. Race pace top to bottom laps are still 10-15 minutes, with options for more pedaling or more forearm abuse.

Everything I have seen looks pretty mellow. Would love to hear more input from simple.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-...orte-2019.html