Page 321 of 530 FirstFirst ... 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 ... LastLast
Results 8,001 to 8,025 of 13244

Thread: Ask the experts

Seriously. I use a wax lube much of the time. Other lubes other times. Occasionally I'll do a spray and wipe with some degreaser. Chain has not yet exploded.

I just buy a new bike
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-09-2022 at 12:37 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Seriously. I use a wax lube much of the time. Other lubes other times. Occasionally I'll do a spray and wipe with some degreaser. Chain has not yet exploded.
    once you have chose to run wax and gone thru the hassle of cleaning off any other product why would you put anything but wax on cuz If you put any other product on now you gotta completely clean the chain again TO run wax.

I never clean the chain and its pretty clean, I ran wax on a road bike chain in my living room IME it just flaked off in booger sized bits SO I just keep putting the wax on and it flakes off ... wax on wax off

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    If you put any other product on now you gotta completely clean the chain again TO run wax.
    No I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Careful of the solution.
    Three factors to take into account are Hydrogen embrittlement, this is a problem with solutions like Simple Green
    The second is make sure you use a balanced solvent.
    Care to elaborate? Because I have zero clue what you’re talking about. Is my chain getting brittle?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

you don't have to completely de-grease the chain or you don't cuz you don't want to ?

https://www.squirtlube.ca/pages/questions-answers

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Care to elaborate? Because I have zero clue what you’re talking about. Is my chain getting brittle?

use of simple green can embrittle your chain unless you get the stuff that does not, I think its for use in aircraft

I clean new chains once in naptha, start using squirt and never touch them again

you don't have to completely de-grease the chain or you don't cuz you don't want to ?

https://www.squirtlube.ca/pages/questions-answers
    I don't because I don't want to, and because the negative consequences of not degreasing are pretty minimal. Using my method, the chain runs quiet, reasonably clean, and it shifts well. Using your method, it does the same. My method is faster and easier though.

I dont know how combining squirt with petro works out but they give specific instructions which I follow once only

I dont know how combining squirt with petro works out but they give specific instructions which I follow once only
    Confession: I also don't lather, rinse, and repeat shampoo. I just lather and rinse. I have also, on occasion, removed mattress tags and driven in excess of the speed limit. Some call me a rebel.

In the mechanical arena I have found

do it once do it right

I bet you run with scissors

You’re probably one of those guys who recklessly turns turns into the yellow middle lane.

However many are in a shit ton.

My saddle bag died, what should I replace it with? Need to carry a 29er tube, patches, co2, tire lever and multi tool. I don’t want one of those fancy straps where the tube is exposed to the elements, just want an old school little bag and they seem to have fallen out of style?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    99% iso dunk a brand new chain > fancy pants Ceramic Speed UFO Drip wax lube.

Usually clean with water every weekish. Put 99% iso in the chain cleaner on occasion and then reapply UFO Drip. Has worked well for me for a couple seasons.

Quicker and easier than ceremonious hot Queso chain baptisms.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    My saddle bag died, what should I replace it with? Need to carry a 29er tube, patches, co2, tire lever and multi tool. I don’t want one of those fancy straps where the tube is exposed to the elements, just want an old school little bag and they seem to have fallen out of style?
    Most don't run saddle bags anymore because they hit the rear tire with a dropper down most of the time on a FS 29er.

Been using one of these velcro'd to the frame with slim/emergency 29er tube, lever, CO2 thingie/cannister, tire plugs. It's great and stays put and protects the tube/tools.

https://www.salsacycles.com/gear/anything_bracket_pack

I like the Dakine hot laps gripper. Not quite full enclosure but pretty close.

This chain convo is hilarious. Some need to work on their reading comprehension. We’re not talking about hot waxing a chain, just prepping it per dry lube instructions. Did it once last year on a new bike and once this year on a new bike, that’s it. No one is saying this is something you’d do during a regular cleaning. yeesh

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    This chain convo is hilarious. Some need to work on their reading comprehension. We’re not talking about hot waxing a chain, just prepping it per dry lube instructions. Did it once last year on a new bike and once this year on a new bike, that’s it. No one is saying this is something you’d do during a regular cleaning. yeesh
    Per XXX-er, if you use a wax lube, and then use a non-wax lube, you have to fully degrease and re-apply a wax lube to make the bike rideable again. I think that's silly.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    You’re probably one of those guys who recklessly turns turns into the yellow middle lane.

if you don't intend to do what the mfger suggests you should do which is different for wax lubes than for the petro lubes, then you can do whatever you want, why use chain lube at all ?

yer that kid you tell not to stick beans in their nose so what do they do ... stick beans up their nose

Arundel

repurpose a foil lined coffee bag

I like the Silca bag with the Boa closure.

I kept buzzing my seat bag with my rear tire, so switched to a stem bag. There's a million out there but I like this guy, great patterns: https://www.fbjcreations.com/product...ave-stem-stash

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

... jersey with pockets?

I've been planning on grabbing a Bedrock Sinbad. They mount to saddle rails.

I've seen them in person and they look great. My experience in Bedrock gear has been super solid.

Also... small team of rad people make them.