Page 301 of 532 FirstFirst ... 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,525 of 13288

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I have a question, how do you get Stans Sealant stains out of clothes?
    Brand new black Carhartts on and I was swapping some tires and the bead snapped in place at 100psi shooting a perfect pasty white Stans jizz stain on the crotch of my new Carhartts.
    The two main solvents for rubber are turpentine and naphtha (petroleum)”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natu...ber#Properties

I am still curious as to what will truly dissolve Gorilla Tape residue off of carbon rims. I tried absolutely fucking everything, even hexanes.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

May sound funny but I often use something oily to get sticky residues off and then something to deal with the oil in the house its usually olive oil
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I am still curious as to what will truly dissolve Gorilla Tape residue off of carbon rims. I tried absolutely fucking everything, even hexanes.
    Embrace its permanence.

Gorilla Tape. It sounds stupid but the residue sticks to the tape and you can pull it off. Still tedious as fuck.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Gorilla Tape. It sounds stupid but the residue sticks to the tape and you can pull it off. Still tedious as fuck.
    also how you’d get residue off of a hockey stick blade when retaping.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I have a question, how do you get Stans Sealant stains out of clothes?
    Brand new black Carhartts on and I was swapping some tires and the bead snapped in place at 100psi shooting a perfect pasty white Stans jizz stain on the crotch of my new Carhartts.
    Stans Web Site:
    How do I get sealant out of my clothes?
    Rinse any spills with cold water right away; do not let the sealant dry. We also recommend pre-treating or washing with a surfactant-based detergent such as Tide as soon as possible. Unfortunately, once your clothing is stained it will most likely not come out.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Elbow grease + rag + 100% isopropyl has worked for me. Still sucks balls.

You guys have NO idea, I tried every possible mechanical or chemical option that I could find, every. Damn. One.
    (I have successfully scraped this shit off of a dozen customer’s rims before)
    I tried:
    Goo Gone
    WD-40
    Goof Off
    Isopropyl Alcohol
    Acetone
    Brake Cleaner
    Parts Cleaner
    Citric Acid
    Paint Stripper
    gasoline
    white gas
    Methylene Chloride
    Hexane

The stuff somehow chemically ‘galvanized/bonded’ to the rim surface. Any mechanical method (razors, scraping, wire brushes on a drill, etc) just made it worse. I ended up giving up, and just using more Gorilla Tape, but it became my white whale, and I am still intellectually curious as to the best method. The residue had hardened into an epoxy-like compound, any oils, or other glues, etc, were less than useless.

And no, I do not willingly use GT as rim strip, this was a desert emergency repair.
    Last edited by rideit; 04-26-2022 at 06:58 PM.

You guys have NO idea, I tried every possible mechanical or chemical option that I could find, every. Damn. One.

Goo Gone
    Goof Off
    Isopropyl Alcohol
    Acetone
    Brake Cleaner
    Parts Cleaner
    Citric Acid
    Paint Stripper
    gasoline
    white gas
    Methylene Chloride
    Hexane

The stuff somehow chemically ‘galvanized’ to the rim surface. Any mechanical method (razors, scraping, wire brushes on a drill, etc) just made it worse. I ended up giving up, and just using more Gorilla Tape, but it became my white whale, and I am still intellectually curious as to the best method. The residue had hardened into an epoxy-like compound, any oils, or other glues, etc, were less than useless.
    Jer would tell you to nuke it from orbit. Behead the remains (if any).

I kind of did by exploderating that rim in Perú, so now it is for future knowledge when this comes up for someone else.

Actually have had good success with good ole WD40 in the past when trying to remove baked on stick residue that GooGone wouldn't even touch....

Yeah, tried that, nothing.

Shimano BH90 hose appears to be difficult to find. Have any of you used the no-name brake lines available from Bezos? It's for a gravel bike so I don't need fittings.
    Last edited by climberevan; 04-26-2022 at 10:01 PM.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I tried:
    Goo Gone
    WD-40
    Goof Off
    Isopropyl Alcohol
    Acetone
    Brake Cleaner
    Parts Cleaner
    Citric Acid
    Paint Stripper
    gasoline
    white gas
    Methylene Chloride
    Hexane

The stuff somehow chemically ‘galvanized/bonded’ to the rim surface. Any mechanical method (razors, scraping, wire brushes on a drill, etc) just made it worse. I ended up giving up, and just using more Gorilla Tape, but it became my white whale, and I am still intellectually curious as to the best method. The residue had hardened into an epoxy-like compound, any oils, or other glues, etc, were less than useless.

And no, I do not willingly use GT as rim strip, this was a desert emergency repair.
    Car wax remover? The gorilla glue video says you should do it at a cool temperature.

I tried:
    Goo Gone
    WD-40
    Goof Off
    Isopropyl Alcohol
    Acetone
    Brake Cleaner
    Parts Cleaner
    Citric Acid
    Paint Stripper
    gasoline
    white gas
    Methylene Chloride
    Hexane

Fire.

Interesting re gorilla tape on carbon rims. I am cheap, so when I got my spur rather than fork out $$$ for a frame protector kit I just taped it up with gorilla tape. Helps I have the dark green color. Had to remove a bunch of the tape recently and re-do it and using goo-gone (I think) all residue came off pretty easily. In face the tape came off easily in most places without leaving a lot of residue. I was quite impressed with it.

I often use clear Gorilla tape if I can't get to a bike shop. No residue, it works, it's cheap and you can get it at the hardware store.

For the folically challenged guys (re: BALD) out there... what do you wear underneath your helmet during MTB rides? I've been using a couple of Headsweats caps for the last few years, but I'm kind of tired of the line it leaves across my forehead after every ride. Is there something thinner that does the trick and won't leave a line on my head? I don't sweat a ton, but it's nice to have a little absorption along with the sun-block ability, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Shimano BH90 hose appears to be difficult to find. Have any of you used the no-name brake lines available from Bezos? It's for a gravel bike so I don't need fittings.
    I used some no name Amazon hose for a Reverb remote. It felt stiffer and cheaper, but worked OK for the remainder of the time I had that bike.

Not sure I'd trust it for a brake hose.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    For the folically challenged guys (re: BALD) out there... what do you wear underneath your helmet during MTB rides? I've been using a couple of Headsweats caps for the last few years, but I'm kind of tired of the line it leaves across my forehead after every ride. Is there something thinner that does the trick and won't leave a line on my head? I don't sweat a ton, but it's nice to have a little absorption along with the sun-block ability, of course.
    G.I. Jane buff might do the trick.

I wear an under armor beanie, its thin stretchy spandex for under a helmet as oposed to a hat for warmth, soaks up sweat which evaporates away so it stays out of me eyes, i was trying to find a link but its hard to find
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I fold a bandana twice and put it in there. But that's also because the helmet I bought (same size and model I owned before) was slightly too big for my head. Bandana fills that space just right and blocks the sun. It also helps soak up sweat. And I sweat a lot. On other helmets before this I would just put sunscreen on the top of my head. Or I used to have another kind of lightweight cap/liner. Can't remember what brand.

The headsweats are a pretty worthless product regardless. Aside from the annoying line they leave on your forehead they would get saturated with sweat quickly and were then completely useless the rest of the ride. Before I found something better id carry 3 of them. One hanging from pack to dry out, one in the helmet, and one in reserve.

Ask the experts

So I’m 6’ with a 453 mm reach. If there is a reference im a -3 inch “ape index” 3 inches shorter arms than tall. Medium SC chameleon frame is 437, large is 460.

Ordering from pink bike. Or if there is a 2018 r+ build, 27.5+ somewhere else. But fairly certain This is the one

Can’t ride it before ordering. Or else I would. Medium or large? Large I’m thinking, but my arms are so short!

Quote Originally Posted by Idyllwild View Post
    So I’m 6’ with a 453 mm reach. If there is a reference im a -3 inch “ape index” 3 inches shorter arms than tall. Medium SC chameleon frame is 437, large is 460.

Ordering from pink bike. Or if there is a 2018 r+ build, 27.5+ somewhere else. But fairly certain This is the one

Can’t ride it before ordering. Or else I would. Medium or large? Large I’m thinking, but my arms are so short!
    I think you should be looking at top tube length and seat tube angle more than reach. If you have short arms for your height and the top tube is long, you'll feel really stretched out on seated climbs. That's compounded if there's a slack seat tube angle and you have long legs (because by the time your seat's at proper pedaling height, it's even further back from the bars).

That said, even with relatively short arms, I can't imagine you'd want a medium. 437 reach is pretty small these days. I'm 5'9" and usually aim for a 470-ish reach.