Check Out Our Shop
Page 540 of 540 FirstFirst ... 535 536 537 538 539 540
Results 13,476 to 13,495 of 13495

Thread: Ask the experts

^^^that's a good point. Are they trend followers? Hardtails are easier to convert into gravel bikes. Harder to convert into high pivots though.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

The answer is absolutely a $7,000 bike from 2020 that’s been ridden like 150 miles by its current owner. Try looking for something like a Yeti Sb115, ibis Ripley, pivot 429, etc.

Example : if she needs a medium haggle with this person.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3769126/

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Say budget is $2500. Would a female new to riding be happier on a lighter hardtail with decent components, or a 35+ lb entry level full suspension?

^^^DINGDINGDING^^^
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Say budget is $2500. Would a female new to riding be happier on a lighter hardtail with decent components, or a 35+ lb entry level full suspension?
    Check out the Costco Intense 951. One is a trail bike, the other more xc. Same as Primer and Sniper frames but with a bit lower spec, for $2k. Upgrade as stuff wears out. I've test ridden the Primer and would have bought it during covid if available. Nice pedaling bike that can handle some tech.

If you have a $2500 budget, why would you be looking at new bikes? In a market like this, where you can't give away a used bike?
    Do you know what's available used for $2500?
    I found a 2023 Evil Following with full XT and Factory Fox for $2500 and the seller was happy to get it.
    That bike was $8500 a year ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    If you have a $2500 budget, why would you be looking at new bikes? In a market like this, where you can't give away a used bike?
    I found a 2023 Evil Following with full XT and Factory Fox for $2500 and the seller was happy to get it.
    I’m just speaking hypothetically since the weight vs plushness thing is interesting for smaller female riders. Of course the move in the current state of the bike market is find a ridiculous deal on a used bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Cheap Sunrace 12sp cassette with a bent tooth. Should I attempt to bend back with needle nose pliers? Or do I risk breaking off the tooth if I try to fuck with it? There is *just* enough bend and interference that it will kind of try to pick up the chain when it’s in the next cog down and just make a skipping sound. Not so much that the chain will actually climb, but it does lift up a touch and then drop back down when it hits that tooth. I spent so much time mucking with limit screws, cable tension, and double checking b screw (Deore 12sp) until I realized the cog itself was out of alignment.

History - the bike was crashed which bent hanger and also the derailleur cage. Replaced the hanger and derailleur but didn’t even think to check the cassette. Not my bike, just doing a favor for a friend.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Amen. My brother is wanting to get back into MTB after about an 8 year hiatus, and I connected him with a friend selling him a YT Decoy carbon with 38/DHX2 Factory, Hope brakes, SRAMano wireless drivetrain, and CB carbon wheels for $3,200. New bikes are for enthusiast nuts like us, not casuals.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Cheap Sunrace 12sp cassette with a bent tooth. Should I attempt to bend back with needle nose pliers? .
    It's prob steel, so obviously you should try bending it back. What do you have to lose? Especially if it's one of the larger cogs it will still work even if you manage to break it off.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I didn’t check the exact count but it’s about 20t in size. I guess a missing tooth is maybe better than one that grabs the chain in the next smaller cog huh? Mostly I just didn’t want to make it worse.
    Back in the days of rebuildable cassettes I suppose I would have tried bending without even asking or thinking, because I could have always just swapped that cog out if nothing else!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Cheap Sunrace 12sp cassette with a bent tooth. Should I attempt to bend back with needle nose pliers? Or do I risk breaking off the tooth if I try to fuck with it? There is *just* enough bend and interference that it will kind of try to pick up the chain when it’s in the next cog down and just make a skipping sound. Not so much that the chain will actually climb, but it does lift up a touch and then drop back down when it hits that tooth. I spent so much time mucking with limit screws, cable tension, and double checking b screw (Deore 12sp) until I realized the cog itself was out of alignment.

History - the bike was crashed which bent hanger and also the derailleur cage. Replaced the hanger and derailleur but didn’t even think to check the cassette. Not my bike, just doing a favor for a friend.
    Bend it. If it's only a minor bend, you'll be fine. And if it's fuckered enough that it snaps while you're bending it back, then it'd probably snap while riding anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    ^^^that's a good point. Are they trend followers? Hardtails are easier to convert into gravel bikes. Harder to convert into high pivots though.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    You haven't seen half these dentists with an angle grinder and welder... But for general folks maybe
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Bend it. If it's only a minor bend, you'll be fine. And if it's fuckered enough that it snaps while you're bending it back, then it'd probably snap while riding anyways.
    As it turns out bending closely spaced teeth is pretty hard to do, but thankfully this bent 21t cog was at least the first one on the main cluster, I was able to pull the 4 smaller cogs off to get better access. Still not easy - resorted to using the curved top of a claw hammer and pushing down onto the outward facing teeth, also banging on the butt of the hammer handle with a rubber mallet and praying to Jah that the thing would not crack or collapse!
    I wasn’t able to get it totally in line with the rest of the cog but at least it’s not grabbing the chain on the way up or down anymore! I guess I should be thankful that some cheap cassettes still have some removable gears. And the exercise also allowed me to confirm that the cheap ass hub driver was at least microspline should my friend ever want to upgrade the thing when it’s due for replacement.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

If i buy this fork do I have to use a remote lockout, or can I just use the fork mounted control?

You will need to use a remote, otherwise it will be locked out all the time I think being listed as "push to unlock". To change to not remote I think you have to remove the damper, disassemble it, and change the whole topcap/compression assembly

If that fork lockout requires a cable pull on it to keep it in open position (cable tension), you may be able to bypass it just by using a short length of cable and a crimp to hold tension. I did that once on an old RockShox fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Good info. Thanks folks. Not a lot of options in this category without spending $$$.

$79 more at universal without the remote thing.

XC forks. Is the performance fork grip damper better then the 4 for lightweights? 90-110lbs

The Grip damper is not better than the Fit4 damper.
    If you mean the Grip2 or new GripX damper, that is suppose to be a better than/higher spec' damper than the Fit4, but for XC I would choose the Fit4 over the Grip2.