Page 329 of 531 FirstFirst ... 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 ... LastLast
Results 8,201 to 8,225 of 13255

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer123 View Post
    Awesome. Thanks!
    Before you jump the gun on those XTs, you can get SLX or Zee for less with equal performance.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Thanks for the tip! Had not thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Will Shimano LO3A brake pads ever be back in stock anywhere?

What is a suitable substitute? (GRX calipers)

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I ended up with pads from MTX Braking, their Red Label Race pads. Super happy with them, so far good bite, silent, no fade and seem to be wearing well.

And they were in stock!

MTX is SLC based, seems like a good crew to support - https://mtxbraking.com/

Ask the experts

I tried the MTX gold pads. Put them on mine and my wife’s bikes before a Mtn Creek trip. About 3 runs in they all started squealing. Vibrations were affecting braking power. Fucking nightmare. Mother fucking nightmare.
    On Galfers now, which seem to be okay.

However many are in a shit ton.

I'd guess that has something to do with bed-in process. I've been using MTX Golds for over a year (second set) and they're silent except for the first few seconds after getting wet. One buddy who tried them (also on Codes) complains they're noisy.

+1 on MTX being silent. I run red front and gold rear on XT and Hayes Dominion A4 brakes and they've never made a noise except for a few seconds after crossing a creek. Running them on Shimano rotors on one bike and Galfer wave rotors on other.

When I first bought MTX pads they weren't in store anywhere and since the company is based in SLC I messaged them to see if I could pick them up. Ended up grabbing them from the owner's garage and we talked about pads for a while. He told me that they really didn't need bedding so I took him at his word and dropped into Silver Fork with brand new pads having never pulled the lever. There were about 20 seconds of fear before power came on.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    +1 on MTX being silent. I run red front and gold rear on XT and Hayes Dominion A4 brakes and they've never made a noise except for a few seconds after crossing a creek. Running them on Shimano rotors on one bike and Galfer wave rotors on other.

When I first bought MTX pads they weren't in store anywhere and since the company is based in SLC I messaged them to see if I could pick them up. Ended up grabbing them from the owner's garage and we talked about pads for a while. He told me that they really didn't need bedding so I took him at his word and dropped into Silver Fork with brand new pads having never pulled the lever. There were about 20 seconds of fear before power came on.
    OK, this made me laugh. I needed that.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Wife bent the right lever blade on her XT 8120 brake levers (bike on bike rack violence from an impatient friend). Are shimano lever blades all cross compatible? Looks like this one should work, correct?
    https://thundermountainbikes.com/pro...41976495046891

Looks like a relatively simple install, any gotchas to know about?

Ask the experts

9120, 8120, 7120, 7100, 6120, 6100 all work.
    Only one that does not work is 9100 (Xtr race).
    Right or left are comparable. The only difference between R & L is the spring. Save the spring from your original lever if you buy (all that’s in stock) the opposite side.
    Easy job.

Thanks! Ok so 8000 blade not compatible with 8120? Found some M785 blades too but guessing those are a no. Is the difference just the thickness? (came across comments online about having to grind down blades that were too thick to fit).

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    What are you guys carrying in an MTB (and maybe just hiking too) first aid kit? I feel like all the prefab ones have a bunch of kinda useless shit in them. What are your essentials?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    What are you guys carrying in an MTB (and maybe just hiking too) first aid kit? I feel like all the prefab ones have a bunch of kinda useless shit in them. What are your essentials?
    Not a first responder / don't have training, but I asked my brother who's a firefighter. He told me to get one of the basic kits, plus a thing of Quick Clot. My backcountry skiing kit is a bit more involved (also has a SAM splint, torniquet, etc.) because the pack is bigger. I should really go through mine and check the status / quantities. The one nice thing about the premade kits is you end up with a nice little waterproof bag that you can keep using long after you replace the stuff it comes with.

The stuff I find myself (or hearing from others) actually needing in a first aid kit with typical MTB injuries / ailments are:
    antiseptic wipes (LOTS of them)
    bandaids (lots of sizes, especially big ones)
    absorbent pads (to use with tape on bigger scrapes)
    first aid tape
    Gorilla tape (tear a long strip off, then roll it up carefully on top of itself, this does double duty for first aid & bike repairs)
    micro Leatherman with knife for cutting tape
    ibuprofen
    Zyrtec / allergy medicine
    Pepto tablets (upset stomach)
    some sort of sodium / electrolytes if not part of usual kit (2x sodium Shot Blox, Nuun tabs, etc.)

Agreed with all of the above, including the quick clot, except I skimp on bandaids. A roll of athletic tape and various amounts of gauze/absorbent pads with scissors or knife (on plier multitool) is very adaptable. Use waterbottle for wound irrigation.

One other thing I've heard of stocking is veterinarian grade super glue. For whatever reason, you can't buy the stuff the ER will use, but you can order the stuff vets use on Amazon. It's usually purple colored to help see what you're doing. Nice for sealing up cuts where bandaids won't hold it shut (wish I had some when I split my chin - between sweat and stubble, bandaids kept falling off). The one issue with it I've had is that it tends to dry out if the little tubes get bent / damaged in your pack. I should order more of that.

I bring superglue on overnights but perhaps should have it for day trips- so great for small cuts on hands that won't hold a bandage for long. Didn't know about a better performing medical version. I'm seeing Gluture, Vetbond, TA5, SkinStitch; what are you using?

If you're going to seal a wound with glue in the field you better make really goddamn sure you got it extremely clean first.

Gauze
    Coban wrap
    Percocet
    Ibuprofen
    Thoughts
    Prayers

I think it really depends on your training / skill level. Packing shit you have never used / been trained on is a recipe for disaster.

Mine is fairly basic. All that’s been mentioned already. When I ride with those that are much more highly trained in medical stuff I do beef it up / let them bring cool shit

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    I think it really depends on your training / skill level. Packing shit you have never used / been trained on is a recipe for disaster.

Mine is fairly basic. All that’s been mentioned already. When I ride with those that are much more highly trained in medical stuff I do beef it up / let them bring cool shit

I'll second this.

I ski patrolled for a few years, and my conclusion at this point is that if I have nitrile gloves, gauze, and tape, I can deal with most on-trail incidents well enough until more help can arrive. After taking a "stop the bleed" class, I've added a compression dressing ("Israeli style trauma bandages" on Amazon).

Also, speaking of checking on your kit, if you're lucky enough not to need to use a first aid kit very often, look it over occasionally to make sure you don't need to restock things. I grabbed the one from my truck today and found that most of the contents were no longer in usable condition after the container of peroxide broke. Thankfully, I wasn't in BFE and by myself, and I've now restocked it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Honestly how often do you guys use first aid kits? I’ve never carried one and can’t say I know anyone who does?

Cuts/scrapes, too bad just ride it out. Then again don’t do too many big backcountry rides around here, probably at most 4-5 miles from a road.

Not trying to be a dick, genuinely curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Honestly how often do you guys use first aid kits? I’ve never carried one and can’t say I know anyone who does?

Cuts/scrapes, too bad just ride it out. Then again don’t do too many big backcountry rides around here, probably at most 4-5 miles from a road.

Never used mine. I’ve done some stupid stuff, had some nasty falls so thought it didn’t hurt to carry one.

I carry a more advanced one in my truck that could do ride out injuries or comfort for the ride home but also as Israel bandages and a TQ. I have training on those and wife is a medic so I’m happy loading it with shit when weight and size are less of a factor.

Ask the experts

Not in my bike kit, cause I don’t go that far off the beaten path….
    But back in the day in Whistler everyone in my winter crew had a tab of acid in our first aid kit.
    If someone broke their leg deep in the backcountry and we had to hike him out for a 15 hour mission, the agreed plan was to drop a tab and march out non stop like North Korean soldiers.

I don't carry any excpet that bandage for when you cut yer leg off running a saw but often recreate with an anesthetist/ ER physician so when I ask if he has any 1st aid he sez

" ya man, last aid too "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I carry absorbent pads, roll of gauze, a few band aids, ibuprofen, neosporin, Benadryl, a chunk of dark chocolate and some sort of opiate in my high country/backcountry pack.
    I’ve busted it out once when I fileted my shin last summer. Was by myself, 9 or so miles from the trailhead and bleeding like a stuck pig…was great to have some pads and wrap.

Almost never carry one for biking. Have a fairly basic kit in the ski pack. If I remember, I'll throw my ski kit in my bike pack for bigger backcountry rides, but that's maybe a small handful of rides each year.