Page 37 of 524 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Ok, experts...I can’t seem to find this item in QBP, eBay, search, or anywhere, really.
    Is there a microspline freehub body that will bolt onto existing shimano 11 speed hubs?

I find them for lots of other hubs, but not the standard shimano style.
    I spent a good amount of time yesterday searching for a Microspline freehub body for a Hope hub. Nothing. All I could find were these cheap, Chinese versions which I don't trust.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAVIC-HOPE-...MAAOSw4oFdoX4C

Which foot forward through turns? I am trying to improve and have always ridden with the dominant foot forward. The other crank arm & pedal has a lot of damage from rock strikes. Should I have my inside foot forward through the turn since the rear wheel tracks on a tighter line.

It feels weird when taking drops & turns with the other foot forward and hard to get use to. Really hard to drop the heel.

My guess is, you subconsciously let your rear foot (non dominant) drop when you settle into a turn or land a drop. My wife does that and I’m alway catching it on videos of her doing drops. And she destroys pedals.
    I’d say focus on staying more balanced between the two feet.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by thechad View Post
    Which foot forward through turns? I am trying to improve and have always ridden with the dominant foot forward. The other crank arm & pedal has a lot of damage from rock strikes. Should I have my inside foot forward through the turn since the rear wheel tracks on a tighter line.

It feels weird when taking drops & turns with the other foot forward and hard to get use to. Really hard to drop the heel.
    You generally want your outside foot down around 5:30-6 in turns without berms.

Watch a World Cup DH race. It’s rider preference. Whatever keeps you planted.

However many are in a shit ton.

Thanks for the tip! Rider preference..check. That’s very empowering.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Ok, experts...I can’t seem to find this item in QBP, eBay, search, or anywhere, really.
    Is there a microspline freehub body that will bolt onto existing shimano 11 speed hubs?
    I find them for lots of other hubs, but not the standard shimano style.
    I have asked over on the Shimano Tech Forum about converting a "older" XTR 9020 wheel to Micro Spline. They are very quick to answer.
    When searching for a new wheel set here is a list of almost all options for Micro Spline. This was updated by the Shimano guys 2 months ago:
    Hub/Wheel Manufacturers
    Aivee
    Chris King
    DT Swiss
    E-13
    Factor
    Fulcrum
    Hadley
    Halo
    Hope
    Hunt
    Ibis
    Identiti
    Industry Nine
    Mavic
    Newman
    Novatec
    Onyx
    Pacenti
    Project321
    Reynolds
    RideFast Racing
    Spank
    Stan's No Tubes
    Sun Ringle
    Tune
    White Industries
    Manufacturers using DT internals with Microspline options
    Bontrager
    Roval
    Syncros
    Notable wheel brands using third party Microspline hubs
    Atomik
    Crank Bros.
    Enve
    Santa Cruz Reserve
    NOBL
    Nox Composites
    Revel
    Revin
    We Are One

DH pros mostly corner with their preferred foot forward, regardless of which direction they're turning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I have asked over on the Shimano Tech Forum about converting a "older" XTR 9020 wheel to Micro Spline. They are very quick to answer.
    When searching for a new wheel set here is a list of almost all options for Micro Spline. This was updated by the Shimano guys 2 months ago:
    Hub/Wheel Manufacturers
    Aivee
    Chris King
    DT Swiss
    E-13
    Factor
    Fulcrum
    Hadley
    Halo
    Hope
    Hunt
    Ibis
    Identiti
    Industry Nine
    Mavic
    Newman
    Novatec
    Onyx
    Pacenti
    Project321
    Reynolds
    RideFast Racing
    Spank
    Stan's No Tubes
    Sun Ringle
    Tune
    White Industries
    Manufacturers using DT internals with Microspline options
    Bontrager
    Roval
    Syncros
    Notable wheel brands using third party Microspline hubs
    Atomik
    Crank Bros.
    Enve
    Santa Cruz Reserve
    NOBL
    Nox Composites
    Revel
    Revin
    We Are One
    Very interesting that Shimano sent you that, as they are not even on the list.

Ask the experts

These are all brands that have an official license for Micro Spline.

Quote Originally Posted by thechad View Post

Dominant foot usually goes back in a regular stance (snowboarding, skating etc.) so if you are normally right handed, your left foot will be forward unless you ride boards goofy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    These are all brands that have an official license for Micro Spline.
    Yes, I know. I’m just saying it’s weird that you can’t find a bolt on for shimano hubs.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Since my fucking luck is getting shittier by the day with bikes, someone please recommend me a sandpaper for smoothing out the nice scratches I put in my Kashima this weekend, 30 minutes after blowing up another rear derailleur.
    Ski edge gummi stone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Dominant foot usually goes back in a regular stance (snowboarding, skating etc.) so if you are normally right handed, your left foot will be forward unless you ride boards goofy.
    I'm somehow right handed, right boards goofy, ride a bike left foot forward...

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    I'm right-handed/footed, do board sports right foot-back, but ride bikes right foot-forward.

As far as which foot forward, I ride goofy on my longboard and prefer my right foot forward. That being said, I often switch it up depending on the trail. Sometimes there might be a lot of rocks, shrubs, or other obstacles on the right side of my bike when going downhill. I often prefer my right foot back in that situation to lessen the chance of slamming into something with my pedal. Also, I sometimes have my outside foot straight down if I'm trying to rail a hard corner.

I've been running a 2.3 Minion DHR2 for a few years and am happy, no real reason to change, but what would the corresponding Specialized tire be? I may be able to get a deal on some if they offer something that works as well.

What works well and what’s gimmicky in the “on-bike tool carry” game?

- Steerer tube systems - Oneup, Specialized
    - Bar End Systems - Wolftooth
    - Bottom Bracket systems - All In Multitool
    - thru axle system - I9
    - bottle cage integrated stuff - Too many options to list...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I've been running a 2.3 Minion DHR2 for a few years and am happy, no real reason to change, but what would the corresponding Specialized tire be? I may be able to get a deal on some if they offer something that works as well.
    Specialized doesn't really have a legit DHR2 equivalent. Eliminator and Purgatory are the closest. If I wanted a meaty Specialized tire for the rear, I'd run a Butcher (which is more or less a DHF clone).

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    What works well and what’s gimmicky in the “on-bike tool carry” game?

- Steerer tube systems - Oneup, Specialized
    - Bar End Systems - Wolftooth
    - Bottom Bracket systems - All In Multitool
    - thru axle system - I9
    - bottle cage integrated stuff - Too many options to list...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Despite all the fancy ways to carry a tool, I still prefer to just throw a multi tool in my pocket. Easier access. No weirdness.

I've been liking my OneUp EDC tool in my steerer. The downside is that you have to thread your steerer, but it's not a huge deal.

The dentist option is to buy the Oneup stem and then the EDC tool will fit inside with no threading/alteration of your fork needed.

I recognize how ridiculous this sounds as I say it but I bet I can get my multitool out of the EDC tool faster than someone can get it out of their pocket. Anyone wanna have a shootout in the street?

(Not that speed is of the essence when needing a multitool- only pointing out that it is ridiculously easy to access it on the EDC - as easy as it would be were it in your pocket)

Ask the experts

I’m a long time SWAT bib wearer/storer with one G3 strap holding items on the frame.

Been nerding out lately on changing this and the more I look at the OneUp pumps the more attractive they become. I normally carry 2 CO2s which is equivalent in weight to the pump ( yes I’m a little weight weenie). I figure with some mods I can store most things in a 100cc pump:
    - tool
    - Stan’s Dart (trimmed down)
    - patches and boots

Then I’m just left with a tube and lever.

Other than a bum bag, the Specialized SWATs are still the best designed carrying bib, pockets are of the right material and in the right spot. In there I’m left to carry small jacket, extra bottle if needed, food, and phone.

Was it here I read about Timberbells? I just bought one and it never stops ringing going down on the lowest setting. Did Bag or someone have an issue with it ringing too much in the lower setting because it was defective? There is a dramatic difference bewteen low and high setting but it annoys the hell out of me.

Do people squeeze some glue way up there or tape to reduce the noise just for the lower setting?

I was using it going uphill in Park City, first ride with it. Guy going down is going too fast and skids past me, as in could not stop until he was by me level of control. First thing he said was 'Hey, I heard your bell." And then said sorry. Sooooo...this bell is pointless and loud to me, why do people like this thing? I should mount it on my seatpost so it's not in my face, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    I’m a long time SWAT bib wearer/storer with one G3 strap holding items on the frame.

Been nerding out lately on changing this and the more I look at the OneUp pumps the more attractive they become. I normally carry 2 CO2s which is equivalent in weight to the pump ( yes I’m a little weight weenie). I figure with some mods I can store most things in a 100cc pump:
    - tool
    - Stan’s Dart (trimmed down)
    - patches and boots

Then I’m just left with a tube and lever.

Other than a bum bag, the Specialized SWATs are still the best designed carrying bib, pockets are of the right material and in the right spot. In there I’m left to carry small jacket, extra bottle if needed, food, and phone.
    The stem EDC has a multitool, one tire lever, quick link - to that you can add quick link pliers and tire plug/strips.

Attached to my bottle cage is the 70cc pump with a CO2 canister inside.

Strapped to the frame is a tube and a second tire lever.

Works great as a “grab your bike and go” system

The bibs with pockets idea is interesting add on - good to hear review of what ones are well designed.