Page 313 of 525 FirstFirst ... 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 ... LastLast
Results 7,801 to 7,825 of 13113

Thread: Ask the experts

Newer XT freehub running a little slower than its SRAM ho-hum predecessor. Am I nuts? Sources seem to indicate that hub internal resistance is negligible. Anything adjustable/reseat-able to troubleshoot? Are there really faster rolling hubs?
    Last edited by Huskydoc; 05-20-2022 at 09:43 PM.

I got the 30L Dakine apex when they were cool in 2004, weight doesnt really matter on an E bike

so the plan is to wait until hydration packs are cool again in a few years
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-21-2022 at 11:19 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Newer XT freehub running a little slower than its SRAM ho-hum predecessor. Am I nuts? Sources seem to indicate that hub internal resistance is negligible. Anything adjustable/reseat-able to troubleshoot? Are there really faster rolling hubs?
    Have you taken the wheel off the bike so you can spin the axle and the freehub by hand to check resistance in them? The bearings are adjustable cup and cone, so it’s possible they’re set to tight.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Hmmm, I hadn't considered the color / speed variable. That alone is a pretty compelling reason.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but aint the shimano stuff red?

Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    I have warned her about some of the potential problems, which is part of the reason I am hoping she can give it a go with minimal investment. I’m not convinced she is going to actually stick with the mini mullet.

I was hoping maybe somebody would have a suggestion for a way to convert an old wheel to work with boost, because I figured it might be relatively affordable.
    She does realize that 26 and 27.5 are closer in size than 27.5 and 29 right? I am not sure the benefit will great than the hassle of 26".

A spacer kit and and a re-dish on a used wheel is likely the only way to do it on the "cheap"

Just how short is she?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Have you taken the wheel off the bike so you can spin the axle and the freehub by hand to check resistance in them? The bearings are adjustable cup and cone, so it’s possible they’re set to tight.
    They also have a more traditional dust wiper/seal, you may want to try a teeny bit of light lube. A lot of times ball and cone bearings can be smoother that cartridge, IME.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Any chance that swapping hubs came with a little brake drag?

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbest Known Time View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but aint the shimano stuff red?
    Always a fly in the ointment!

Fluid fade (via boiling) is definitely a thing and contributes to mineral oil not being used as brake fluid on much of anything except bicycles. Whether this means shock oil will do better and/or won't congeal in some unattractive way when mixed with mineral oil, or whether you really just need to use only the reddest (or bluest) stuff since "mineral oil" describes a whole range of substances may be best discussed on the oil forums. Or MTBR, obviously.
    Last edited by jono; 05-21-2022 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by meepmoop24 View Post
    Looking for a solution to easily move tools between 2 of my bikes. I have a Transition Sentinel with bottle bosses to mount to, and a steel hardtail that I'll mount to the frame. I'm looking to carry a Tubolito tube, Wolf Tooth pack pliers, a CO2 cartridge, a set of Pedro's tire levers, and a Dynaplug Racer Pro. I'd also like to fit an Inreach mini if possible.

The best option I've found so far is 76 Projects and their Micro Piggy set up: https://us.76projects.com/products/micro-piggy

Anyone else have other suggestions or ideas?
    I have my tools in a small pouch that can go in the frame bag of my spur or in my pack or hip pack. This generally works well but I forget to grab the tool pouch and pump often enough when I take my other bike that I'm considering just putting together a full second set. One of these days going to get burned and have a long walk of shame. Ymmv

We just have completely separate tool kits for each bike. Moar toolz is always better, right? ( It helps that my friend owns a tool company.)
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I use a Bedrock Bags Sinbad to carry tube, pack pliers, der hanger, etc. Comes with its own velcro strap that fits in the WolfTooth BRad accessory mount or works fine just strapped to the frame.

https://www.bedrockbags.com/gear/p/sinbad

So kind of a Jong question here...

Can I run an actos headset/steerer tube cap without any spacers underneath it so that the cap interfaces directly with the stem?

Need to make space for a Mac Ride.

Thx in advance

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post

Can I run an actos headset/steerer tube cap without any spacers underneath it so that the cap interfaces directly with the stem?

Thx in advance

How far below the edge of the stem is the steerer? You are looking for 2-3mm, more than that and the upper pinch bolt may not function properly.

It looks like you are using a high headset cover, I am not super familiar with all of Across's headset offerings but I bet they make a shorter one which would give you more room.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    We just have completely separate tool kits for each bike. Moar toolz is always better, right? ( It helps that my friend owns a tool company.)
    I just carry them in a pack that I take every day. I know, radical concept. Very cutting edge.

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post

Thx in advance
    As mentioned by Eluder, as long as you have enough steerer tube to reach above the upper clamp bolt (and slightly below the top of the stem), you'll be fine.
    The only time a spacer is required above the stem is with carbon steerer tubes. Even then it's only specified by a few specific brands.

Tyx Dee and Eluder!
    Mac ride soon to be installed for mommy and 28mo daughter ripping .... well mellow smooth singletrack riding. I can't imagine bumpy riding is good for a small brain.

No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I'm having hydraulic fluid leaking from between the house and the bolt on a set of GRX 800 levers. Te barb and olive look compressed to me. Could I be missing an o ring inside or should I just try another olive and barb?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

The compression nut bottoms out on those. Have you removed and reinstalled it or did it just develop a leak after the first install? Since the nut bottoms out you cant just make it tighter to recreate the seal like mountain levers if that makes. I would try another barb and olive.

Formerly Rludes025

Thanks Ron. Yeah, I've uninstalled and reinstalled. I'll try another olive and barb!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

DO NOT overtighten that nut! Those lever bodies are know to break with too much pressure, they are quite fragile.
    I bought a tool specifically for this job.

Throwing this out there as an obvious and inexpensive solution to a stupid problem.

Pulled my grip2 top caps off to clean them. Tried being careful about the springs and bearings on removal, but one bearing still ejected across the garage. Lost it.

Ace hardware had a drawer full of bearings, found a replacement for 23 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Ghetto/free way to watch the Giro?
    Now that is is on a streaming service, I think all the fee options have been shut down.
    I bit the bullet and bought the GCN+ annual pass, used some discount code.
    The app is super easy, watch the Giro most mornings, and get almost every race throughout the year, live or watch it later on replay.
    Not the answer you wanted, but just stating its worth the cost of admission.

Experts: can I use Shimano 203/180mm caliper adapters with Hayes Dominion A4 calipers?

The internet suggests "no"...

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/caliper...n-a4.1156071/]

Can confirm the brake will not work with Shimano adapters. It will work with: Hope, Hayes, and North Shore Billet. Potentially Magura as well but not sure on that.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Now that is is on a streaming service, I think all the fee options have been shut down.
    I bit the bullet and bought the GCN+ annual pass, used some discount code.
    The app is super easy, watch the Giro most mornings, and get almost every race throughout the year, live or watch it later on replay.
    Not the answer you wanted, but just stating its worth the cost of admission.
    I looked into it last night. No GCN app for use on Roku which sucks. The laptop I could connect to the TV is the laptop I use for Zwift and would be Zwifting while watching. Suppose I could get the right proprietary thunderbolt whatever cord for my new laptop.

Where did you find the discount code for the annual pass?

Anything to dislike about a Topstone 4? I'm looking for a gravel bike and options for XL sizes are limited north of the wall, without spending $3k.