Page 162 of 533 FirstFirst ... 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 ... LastLast
Results 4,026 to 4,050 of 13303

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    $350 but I think I could have gotten him down to $300. Against a fork that retailed at $2700, it seemed like a smoking deal - way better than Boissal's Patagucci pant deal.
    Pants? I said fartbag, as in the full top to bottom package. Will you buy it if I give you 90% off retail? The fork is only 88.9% off. Bigger discount, more better!

If you have $300 burning your fingers get a set of new tires for when yours are cooked and put the rest in the piggy bank. Replace your saddle with one that doesn't chafe your ass. Get new grips. Service the fork. Buy queso for your tires and raclette cheese for your chain.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Apologies for wasting your time with something as banal and beneath you as a fork upgrade.
    Please don't take it that way. Clearly that post needed an emoji of some kind. Just trying to save you from pulling a mall walker

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Please don't take it that way. Clearly that post needed an emoji of some kind. Just trying to save you from pulling a mall walker
    Ha, fair. And it was a dumb-as-shit question..but at that price I felt like I had to consider it.

Money's going to the "save for real wheels fund", which seems to be the best upgrade I can pull at this point.

Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Wait, pulling a mall walker is a thing now? Seems kinda mean. Poor dude probably hasn't slept in 9 months. I do not cosign.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Pants? I said fartbag, as in the full top to bottom package. Will you buy it if I give you 90% off retail? The fork is only 88.9% off. Bigger discount, more better!

If you have $300 burning your fingers get a set of new tires for when yours are cooked and put the rest in the piggy bank. Replace your saddle with one that doesn't chafe your ass. Get new grips. Service the fork. Buy queso for your tires and raclette cheese for your chain.
    We are racletting our chains now? That actually seems pretty solid. The smell will keep moose away, and having come very close to T-Boning one a couple years back, that is important to me.

I'm upping my offer for the Gucci pink suit to $37.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Wait, pulling a mall walker is a thing now? Seems kinda mean. Poor dude probably hasn't slept in 9 months. I do not cosign.
    To be faaaaiiiirrrr...Pulling a mall walker used to literally mean not sleeping because you were getting up in the middle of the night to go skiing. You could say he was training for that.

haha. don't worry, my company went public so I am now spending (wasting) money on a ridiculously expensive impractical nonsense bike.

but tgapp does have infinitely worse equipment analysis overthinking than me

as for sleep... what is that...

$300 will get you some Assos shorts which will give you a much bigger improvement in riding experience than a silly fork

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Tgapp pls listen to Boissal here.. that fork is cheap for a reason
    Never heard of them, so this is first thing that pops up on google, and is a perfect review:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4799.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	231.6 KB 
ID:	370912
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I highly doubt it. I don't even think there are non-Shimano options for a 12 speed.

I may be wrong though.
    Thats what it looks like. Im not seeing any options. There is a deore 11spd this year but looks like its a hg freehub compatible cassette. Trying to have all my rear wheels with micro spline but continue using my 11spd der/shifter on one bike

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    haha. don't worry, my company went public so I am now spending (wasting) money on a ridiculously expensive impractical nonsense bike.

but tgapp does have infinitely worse equipment analysis overthinking than me

as for sleep... what is that...
    Well congrats.

Have you considered a Message fork?

Ha, fair. And it was a dumb-as-shit question..but at that price I felt like I had to consider it.

Money's going to the "save for real wheels fund", which seems to be the best upgrade I can pull at this point.

Thanks for your help
    Dude seriously, not a dumb ass question. But the "seasoned" gear whores in here had spent many many hours thinking about and debating that curious abomination before it was even a glimmer in your eye. I believe we even had a long winded thread about it.
    Given your new intro to bikes, it's completely natural to geek out on gear. Big ticket items seem like they'll give you the palpable advantage you're looking for. But be careful, as many of them are shiny and their subtle advantage can only be felt after loads of experience. Even carbon wheels are usually a red herring.
    When I think back to early gear purchases, the most impactful were things like a great trailer hitch rack, new grips, trial and error money spent on saddles and different length stems, and a good pack.

Regarding the Trust fork, here's the answer you were looking for: Most reports suggested that the linkage proved to be quite plush when sitting in the saddle and pedaling straight at objects. Which could actually have been a fabulous asset to the dentist Ebike for fishing/hunting/swimming hole crowd. As things got steeper and rowdier, the fork became less predictable in its awesomeness, sometimes proving plush, sometimes proving divey, and sometimes proving overly stiff. When landing even the smallest of jumps, or simply letting the front wheel drop down from a baby wheelie or manual, I hear it felt like a full rigid tooth rattling nightmare. In contrast, a stock Fox Float 36 upgraded with a PUSH ACS3 Coil would be extravagantly half the price and deliver that awesome performance in all conditions. Fox is still thriving. Do the math.
    However many are in a shit ton.

I can see how $300 could be tempting but like others have said.... $300 goes a decent way towards other shit you will inevitably need as the season goes on. There is a guy selling a 5010 with a trust fork in B.C. on pinkbike, think he’s gonna have it a long time

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Thats what it looks like. Im not seeing any options. There is a deore 11spd this year but looks like its a hg freehub compatible cassette. Trying to have all my rear wheels with micro spline but continue using my 11spd der/shifter on one bike
    No 11 speed for micro spline.
    When Shimano announced the 12sp/micro spline they had spec'd a 11sp XTR 10-45 microspline cassette. But it never went to production.
    It was spec'd as XTR CS-M9110 Wide Flange 11-speed cassette. But it was actually just a 12sp cassette with the top cog seeded off. It was still 12speed spacing and would not have worked with old 11 speed spacing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    No 11 speed for micro spline.
    When Shimano announced the 12sp/micro spline they had spec'd a 11sp XTR 10-45 microspline cassette. But it never went to production.
    It was spec'd as XTR CS-M9110 Wide Flange 11-speed cassette. But it was actually just a 12sp cassette with the top cog seeded off. It was still 12speed spacing and would not have worked with old 11 speed spacing.
    Thanks. That detail finishes that search. I imagine sunrace/box will in the future some time

All wack. Together awesome!!Name:  R3ACT%2B2Play%2BM-WR.gif
Views: 616
Size:  242.9 KBName:  220px-Softride_suspension_bicycle_stem.jpeg
Views: 611
Size:  12.4 KBName:  41LERLZAvzL._AC_SY580_.jpeg
Views: 643
Size:  16.8 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	trust-performance-fork-1200x800.jpeg.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	370947

I have a Fox 36 (2019) 160mm on my Strive.
    I've always felt that I needed to run slightly less psi than recommended to make it feel smooth, but it's been working out fine. Seem to remember running it at approx 80 psi last year, 3 clicks of LSC. I'm 86-86kg with gear. Natural trails, with lot of roots and other smaller hits.

After having it serviced it's completely fucked, extremely harsh on repeated smaller roots etc. Currently at 70psi which gives 25% sag, but there is no way I'm able to make it feel smooth or use even close to full travel. LSC all the way off, rebound in the middle-ish. It feels fine and supportive on smooth trails / at speed. Single hits are ok, but as mentioned - repeated smaller hits almost rattles my glasses off.

I'm going to verify the number of tokens later on, but there is no reason there should have been added any. Unless some mechanic mixed up forks while forking on several.

Any suggestions? I've heard the too much grease in the air shaft can be a problem, but I have no idea what "too much" is.

Obvioulsy going to contact the shop, but knowledge is power etc

Get your hands on a ShockWiz.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Ask the experts

..... then at least you can have some objective data when you tell the shop they farked your fork. Better than them accusing you of messing it up spinning knobs

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    I've always felt that I needed to run slightly less psi than recommended to make it feel smooth, but it's been working out fine. Seem to remember running it at approx 80 psi last year, 3 clicks of LSC. I'm 86-86kg with gear. Natural trails, with lot of roots and other smaller hits.

After having it serviced it's completely fucked, extremely harsh on repeated smaller roots etc. Currently at 70psi which gives 25% sag, but there is no way I'm able to make it feel smooth or use even close to full travel. LSC all the way off, rebound in the middle-ish. It feels fine and supportive on smooth trails / at speed. Single hits are ok, but as mentioned - repeated smaller hits almost rattles my glasses off.

I'm going to verify the number of tokens later on, but there is no reason there should have been added any. Unless some mechanic mixed up forks while forking on several.

Any suggestions? I've heard the too much grease in the air shaft can be a problem, but I have no idea what "too much" is.

Luftkappe. It will increase negative spring volume and make it very supple off the top on small chatter, so much so that it sags under its own weight. It will be a bit more progressive (it's similar to 1.5 tokens) but that's appropriate for your weight.

Been pretty happy with my Diaz Runt in my 36. Whole new and different fork to me. Mine was either too firm and couldn't get full travel or too soft and blowing through the middle even with major and tiny air adjustments. Messed with all the knobs and took a bunch of notes. Dropped a Runt in, followed their pressure recs and opened up high and low speed and it feels like it should.

Could be a bunch of different things; grease where it shouldn't be, wrong weight oil, bungled bushing, etc. Realistically: just have it serviced again. Full tear down, then put it back together correctly. Hopefully they'll do it for free since they botched the first one.

Thanks all

Opened up the air shaft to day. Only one token - removed it, just to see how that feels. But no reason it should matter much.
    I co-own a shockwiz with a buddy, so will absolutely check that out.

Won't be able to get back out until late next week, so will see how it feels then. If I can't work it out I'll reach out to the store. Had my shock serviced at the same time, and it feels really good, so they probably know what they're doing.

Regarding Runt and whatnot. Good ideas, but I'm not going to put more money into this bike or fork, as I'll get a new frame next year anyhow. Absolutely going back to a Lyrik on that build.

Regarding Runt and whatnot. Good ideas, but I'm not going to put more money into this bike or fork, as I'll get a new frame next year anyhow. Absolutely going back to a Lyrik on that build.
    Put a Mezzer on the new build and forget about the concept of dumping mo money into an already expensive fork to get it to do what you want. I've gone back to playing with air pressure in mine and the range of behavior you can get from that fork is unreal.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Put a Mezzer on the new build and forget about the concept of dumping mo money into an already expensive fork to get it to do what you want. I've gone back to playing with air pressure in mine and the range of behavior you can get from that fork is unreal.
    So happy I'm no longer the sole Manitou homer around #IRT4lyfe

Now you need to go all-in and get a Mara Pro and some Dominion brakes.