Page 530 of 530 FirstFirst ... 525 526 527 528 529 530
Results 13,226 to 13,244 of 13244

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Doesn't work, FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I would gladly pay $30+/night for slightly spread out sites. Not sure I have ever paid for an actual campsite down there. My expectation might be off from visiting several other places in the west where the paid camping is almost always sites that are like 20 feet apart max. So stupid. Never understood that.

Are Moab paid sites rather spread out, or is it like the common style with 70 sites packed into 3 acres? Shit, take the whole upper mesa area west of 191. Keep the roads sites exactly as it is. Drop in a pit toilet every mile. Charge $40/night. Well worth it.
    The Dirt is a great resource for dispersed camping. They include info on Cell and WiFi service.
    https://thedyrt.com/camping/utah/nea...with/dispersed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

I know this was asked recently, but for flying domestically, how strict is Southwest? Might be tough to get under 50lbs if its a 37lb bike...

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Stans recommends 4oz for most MTB sizes and 2oz for most Road/Gravel size tires.
    Ah, I've only used 2oz without issues. Must be why I'm sooo fast Actually, the Reserve wheels seal so well that I've inflated without Stans. I always add it in before riding though as sidewalls can bleed.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Ah, I've only used 2oz without issues. Must be why I'm sooo fast Actually, the Reserve wheels seal so well that I've inflated without Stans. I always add it in before riding though as sidewalls can bleed.
    Sealant doesn’t do much for inflation; the mechanical interface between the tire and rim is almost always good enough for an initial seal these days. Two oz of sealant is enough to fill any gaps in the system so it holds air. But IME it’s not enough to seal a puncture. I use four for that, although anything bigger than a thorn or cactus spine will probably need a plug.

The N. Klondike sites are actually pretty spread out.
    Agree with Joe, I remember sand flats being gross in 1988 from turd flags flying in every juniper.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Most of the Moab sites are decently spread out actually.

Speaking of Moab camping, I’m planning on doing two back to back White Rim in a days next week.

The plan is to park my van somewhere on/near the route, ride the whole thing in a day, pass out when I get back to the van, and repeat the next day. Any suggestions on a good spot to park and pass out?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    Speaking of Moab camping, I’m planning on doing two back to back White Rim in a days next week.

The plan is to park my van somewhere on/near the route, ride the whole thing in a day, pass out when I get back to the van, and repeat the next day. Any suggestions on a good spot to park and pass out?
    You can park/camp on the Mineral road.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

Why? For starters, I’m training for a few bikepacking races this summer/fall, so back to back White Rims ought to be a good step in that direction. I’ll do the second lap the other direction to keep it interesting.
    Also, I’ll have friends out there bikepacking it over the course of three days, so lapping them twice will be a great opportunity to flex on them.

Why? For starters, I’m training for a few bikepacking races this summer/fall, so back to back White Rims ought to be a good step in that direction. I’ll do the second lap the other direction to keep it interesting.
    Also, I’ll have friends out there bikepacking it over the course of three days, so lapping them twice will be a great opportunity to flex on them.
    Both excellent reasons.

I still think you should just ride Amasa Back trails like 12 times in those couple days.

Pulled my bike out for the first spring ride and discovered I my tranzx dropper won’t actuate with the lever. I also can’t manipulate the actuator by hand either. It was working when I put it away for the winter, though there were about 6 times where this would happen on a ride but it resolve itself while riding, so I put off looking into it.

Just curious if anyone here has experienced similar with a tranzx dropper?
    Isn’t it pretty much a pnw/oneup clone, meaning that I can reference those instructions?

Cable seems ok, a little long but ok otherwise i think. About to pull it off, let the air out and start taking it apart…

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    You can park/camp on the Mineral road.
    yep. For ex, a place like this, just before the mineral bottom switchbacks. there are a few well-used sites right there. and surely many others just off the mineral road. Not a "great" place to camp, but good enough for your purposes.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    yep. For ex, a place like this, just before the mineral bottom switchbacks. there are a few well-used sites right there. and surely many others just off the mineral road. Not a "great" place to camp, but good enough for your purposes.
    Thanks, that looks perfect.

Does anyone know how different the lever shape is between GRX 820 vs GRX 810 (12 vs 11 speed). I have a bike with GRX 810 and I'm considering swapping to 12 speed. I'm thinking that I'd only need a right shift lever and I could avoid swapping brakes and the left lever. My cassette and chain likely need to be replaced sometime this year (Shimano 11-42) and I have a Shimano XT Cassette sitting without a home currently. Wouldn't be a lot of extra money.

I'm wondering if the difference in lever shape would be annoying. Visually they look pretty similar online at least.

IDK about the lever, but your 11s HG freehub body won't accept the 12s XT cassette ( MS).
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Yeah that was on my radar. It's a DT and I think I have one floating around in toolbox... or can pick one up fairly cheap as it's 3 pawl.

The levers are the expensive part. The left brake lever is $250, which just makes the proposition feel a little less appealing. I am also realizing I'd need a new front chainring as well... as the Shimano 12 speed stuff is its own tooth profile. It does pretty quickly get to a point where the most logical thing is to sell the complete bike used and buy what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    IDK about the lever, but your 11s HG freehub body won't accept the 12s XT cassette ( MS).

IME, you don’t ‘need’ a new chainring, first try running your existing chainring with a SRAM Eagle chain link. (Usually the Shimano link is the only thing that interferes with the tooth profile).
    YMMV.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident