Page 205 of 532 FirstFirst ... 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,125 of 13298

Thread: Ask the experts

Yes, that makes sense.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I’ve been chasing a creak and think I’ve isolated it to the seat collar.

Took the collar off the frame and cleaned everything up real well and it seemed to be creaking about the same. Took it apart and put some grease between the collar and the frame. That seems to have made the creaking significantly worse.

Suggestions? Was considering Fiber Paste but that’s not normally an area I’d put it.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Could place the shock underwater to look for bubbles, see if it’s coming from the valve or a bad seal.

Also, it’s definitely that the shock is losing pressure when riding, not that you’re just seeing reduced pressure when re-attaching the shock pump, correct?
    Just a thought. Thats only happened to me once years ago. Head scratcher that turned out to be an ez fix. LBS figured it out. Maybe an ez thing to cross of the possibilities

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Took the collar off the frame and cleaned everything up real well and it seemed to be creaking about the same. Took it apart and put some grease between the collar and the frame. That seems to have made the creaking significantly worse.

Suggestions? Was considering Fiber Paste but that’s not normally an area I’d put it.
    Could be a few things. I just traced one to my seat/seatpost. Kind of wierd that they used blue loctite on the seatpost bolts. I havent seen that. I put grsase on both and retightened it. Easier to get proper tightness w grease. Worked for now. Before that it was the 4 year old canfield mt crampon pedals. Super ez to put a new bushing/bearing kit in, after i ground the 8mm on my y wrench down to a thin walled 8mm to get into the pedal. Super quiet now. Thr meta am 29 is a quiet bike with lots of rubber guarding the cs and seatstay. It took forever to grt from aus but the STFU(Chris Kovarik's chain slap/guide thing/code is REMI 10) really helps keep it quiet too. Easier to track down creaks

Is it a Santa Cruz? I had the same creaky seatpost collar issue on my Hightower and my local shop advised me to use grease instead of friction paste in the seat tube and to back off the torque on the collar to 5 nm. It seems to be working and quiet for now.

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    LOL. I demo'd a bike couple years ago that had SRAM brakes. Can't recall what level, but I went to take the bike out and the wheels pretty much wouldn't spin, brakes were locked up. Pointed this out to the demo guy, his response was "oh yeah well they've been sitting out in the sun.". seriously, these brakes won't work when they're out in the sun? This is socal where it's always sunny. We ride in the sun. So are you telling me these brakes won't work... pretty much ever? Got a blank stare back in response.
    It was a known issue that’s been addressed on newer models and can be fixed on older models with a seal replacement. SRAM was replacing whole lever assemblies under warranty for a while. Typically it’s just a loss of lever throw so that they become binary. I don’t think complete lockup was that common.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Typically it’s just a loss of lever throw so that they become binary. I don’t think complete lockup was that common.
    Total lock up from the seals swelling in the heat is a very common issue.

I think I followed up after posting about the guide piston issue on my wife's bike, but the LBS ordered new lever rebuild parts for her and even got SRAM to warranty them on her 3 year old ride.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Could be a few things. I just traced one to my seat/seatpost. Kind of wierd that they used blue loctite on the seatpost bolts. I havent seen that. I put grsase on both and retightened it. Easier to get proper tightness w grease. Worked for now. Before that it was the 4 year old canfield mt crampon pedals. Super ez to put a new bushing/bearing kit in, after i ground the 8mm on my y wrench down to a thin walled 8mm to get into the pedal. Super quiet now. Thr meta am 29 is a quiet bike with lots of rubber guarding the cs and seatstay. It took forever to grt from aus but the STFU(Chris Kovarik's chain slap/guide thing/code is REMI 10) really helps keep it quiet too. Easier to track down creaks

Have had the saddle clamp apart three times to clean, the greased parts after the second time. Still creaking.

I can get it to creak just bouncing up and down in the garage, so no issue hearing with trying to hear it over other riding noises. It does it just bouncing up and down on the saddle with feet on the floor, so not coming from pedals/crank/bb. I can’t get it to creak bouncing up and on the frame instead of the saddle, so I don’t think it’s coming from pivots, shock, etc. although admittedly I’m less aggressive bouncing on the frame vs saddle.
    Last edited by J. Barron DeJong; 06-26-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Is it a Santa Cruz? I had the same creaky seatpost collar issue on my Hightower and my local shop advised me to use grease instead of friction paste in the seat tube and to back off the torque on the collar to 5 nm. It seems to be working and quiet for now.
    Not SC, 2021 Norco Optic (w/X-Fusion dropper post). Still worth a try though.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I said fuck it and bought the Grip 2 damper + all needed oils + new seals for the 36 instead of going to an all new 38. It's about 1/3 the cost.
    How is the new damper compared to the grip 1m

I have the z1 bomber coil fork with grip 1.

My style, try to stay on the ground, rocky singletrack. Few jumps.

Would like to improve square bump and brake bump sensitivity.

Would the grip 2 help?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Experts, what in the Hell is this crud on my IS adapter? My brakes fucked? Had loss of pressure so shop guy did a bleed, didn’t see anything wrong, and I didn’t notice this crud until after I left the shop - not sure how the tech could have missed this???

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I’m prepared to be lite up for this but has anyone tried the Rapha mountain bike bibs? I have a pair of road bibs and I do say their chamois is really really comfy so thinking their MTB line might be decent as well?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    I’m prepared to be lite up for this but has anyone tried the Rapha mountain bike bibs? I have a pair of road bibs and I do say their chamois is really really comfy so thinking their MTB line might be decent as well?

This is probably in no way helpful for you but I can say with certainty that the Patagonia mtb bibs are hot garbage. Comfy for riding but if your route involves any hike a bike then they will literally rub your ass raw. Thought this was just my shameful secret until a buddy confessed he had the same sandpaper wedgie while walking experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbest Known Time View Post
    This is probably in no way helpful for you but I can say with certainty that the Patagonia mtb bibs are hot garbage. Comfy for riding but if your route involves any hike a bike then they will literally rub your ass raw. Thought this was just my shameful secret until a buddy confessed he had the same sandpaper wedgie while walking experience.
    That actually is helpful! I was looking at them as well. I’ve never rode mountain bike in bibs but I like my roadie bibs and the rapha ones have pockets which would be nice.

As I said I’ve been really impressed with the pair I own and at $180 canadian I actually don’t think that is terrible. I usually ride in Pearl Izumi chamois shorts under riding shorts but they are about 3-4 years old and the chamois is basically flat and useless now.

That actually is helpful! I was looking at them as well. I’ve never rode mountain bike in bibs but I like my roadie bibs and the rapha ones have pockets which would be nice.

As I said I’ve been really impressed with the pair I own and at $180 canadian I actually don’t think that is terrible. I usually ride in Pearl Izumi chamois shorts under riding shorts but they are about 3-4 years old and the chamois is basically flat and useless now.

If you like your road shorts, you can ride in those under an MTB short, too. I'm no expert, but I've found that (not surprisingly) the expensive road shorts I already own make better liners than the cheap liner I bought after getting an MTB. One of the guys I know from ski patrolling years ago is an ambassador for Abit, and I've been rather happy with the Abit shorts over road shorts solution; the Pearl Izumi chamois liner that I got works well enough for short rides, which is most of what I do, but I'm pretty sure I'd not have been happy wearing it at the bike park all day, even with less pedaling involved. YMMV, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Experts, what in the Hell is this crud on my IS adapter? My brakes fucked? Had loss of pressure so shop guy did a bleed, didn’t see anything wrong, and I didn’t notice this crud until after I left the shop - not sure how the tech could have missed this???

pad smoo from the worn pad ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Curious to hear more on their stuff. Never considered them before but their new mtb stuff looks nice. No flash and quality looking stuff with modern cuts

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Curious to hear more on their stuff. Never considered them before but their new mtb stuff looks nice. No flash and quality looking stuff with modern cuts.
    I'm willing to dish out $200 for a decent MTB bib liner that is as good as my high end road bibs.
    I find road bibs too hot to wear under a MTB short, and want a MTB bib to be tight/compression like and mesh/airy with a decent pad.
    I just ordered some 7Mesh Foundation Bib Shorts, and I'm hoping they are actually the holy grail that many reviews have made them out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I'm willing to dish out $200 for a decent MTB bib liner that is as good as my high end road bibs.
    I find road bibs too hot to wear under a MTB short, and want a MTB bib to be tight/compression like and mesh/airy with a decent pad.
    I just ordered some 7Mesh Foundation Bib Shorts, and I'm hoping they are actually the holy grail that many reviews have made them out to be.
    Im not looking for bibs, just been curious on the new rapha stuff. Looks quality. Atm im in need of just liner shorts. PI used to be my go to and they start off plush and then turn into flooring tiles. I have some specialized bib/chamy/tool carrying shorts that are actually quite comfy. I never wear them though. Just extra faffing about suiting up or when nature calls i figure. Currently using mec liner shorts and theyve stayed plush but the lyrcra is coming apart. New mec stuff has jumped in price zo figure its time to find some quality pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I’m looking at those 7mesh ones as well. I think I may pull the trigger on these rapha’s and see how they work.

My roadie raphas don’t have pockets, one of the main things I’m looking at in MTB bibs.

There are loads of great options for bibs with pockets. My personal favorite right now is RedWhite from Singapore. They are super nice and the chamois is the best I've used for 8+h rides. Even TheBlackBibs makes cargo bibs.

I guess these would be considered 'road' bibs, though. I never understood the point of wearing shorts on top of bibs just because one is pedaling a MTB instead of a road bike. The only real rationale I've heard is that they protect one's bibs when crashing, which is legit if you're crashing a lot, I guess.

Anyway, the major brands seem to be at least 30% overpriced IMO. There are some great options for disrupting that model.

Oh, and pro-tip: they make these great shirts that include 3 big pockets on the lower back, positioned such that the stuff doesn't move around and is easily accessible while pedaling. These amazing garments are called jerseys.

Oh, and they also make these packs that hold a shitload of water and other stuff, with a tube you can drink from without stopping. Combine this with the aforementioned jersey and you'll be able to carry everything you need for many hours.

Yeah, I'm crusty AF and have little patience for trends that actually make stuff work less well.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Road bib design factors in aerodynamics and appearance in addition to comfort and breathability.

MTB bibs don’t have to worry about aerodynamics or being modest - ignoring those two factors allows for better breathability.

Wearing road bibs under mtb shorts/top certainly works - but purpose built mtb bibs make more sense.

Exact same argument applies to non-bib bike shorts vs mtb chamois liners.

Yup, when I wear my roadie chamois liners under mtb shorts, they are waaaay too freakin’ hot for comfort.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

So I was servicing my pedals yesterday after landing hard on one of them, and found that the silly little outboard bearings had blown up. I pulled out all the little bearings & seals, but the outer races for 2 out of 3 of the bearings are stuck in the pedal body and won't come out. I've reached out to Tenet to see if this falls under their crash warranty program (and if they've even got any replacements).

In the mean time, any tricks for getting those stupid little races out of pedals? Dental picks weren't working. I was thinking maybe if I can find an appropriate sized tap that might work.