Page 217 of 531 FirstFirst ... 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,425 of 13262

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    Tubeless question....

Trying to set-up tubless on kids bike. Tubeless tires but not necc rims. Gorilla tape (couple layers), stans, inflated w compressor. It's holding air but the only concern is that when inflating, didn't necessarily get the "pop" i'd typically hear when the bead sets. Tried a couple times. Used some soapy water and cranked pressure up and still no defining "pop". Cause for concern or should be gtg?
    What did you inflate it to? I normally do 40-45 psi. Let it sit overnight and see if it's holding pressure. If it is, then G2G.

Quote Originally Posted by meepmoop24 View Post
    What did you inflate it to? I normally do 40-45 psi. Let it sit overnight and see if it's holding pressure. If it is, then G2G.
    i'd say at least that and holding strong for a couple days now.

Tubeless question....

Trying to set-up tubless on kids bike. Tubeless tires but not necc rims. Gorilla tape (couple layers), stans, inflated w compressor. It's holding air but the only concern is that when inflating, didn't necessarily get the "pop" i'd typically hear when the bead sets. Tried a couple times. Used some soapy water and cranked pressure up and still no defining "pop". Cause for concern or should be gtg?
    Look at both sides of the tire. If there's a part of the bead that didn't seat, you'll be able to see it. The tire will also have a wobble when you spin it. My guess is that the couple layers of Gorilla tape are softening the pop.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Look at both sides of the tire. If there's a part of the bead that didn't seat, you'll be able to see it. The tire will also have a wobble when you spin it. My guess is that the couple layers of Gorilla tape are softening the pop.
    thx. it appears that everything is "even". i'll give it a spin tonight.

If the rims aren't technically tubeless compatible, you won't necessarily get the bead to pop.

Tubeless setup will still usually work fine, but the tire will burp a lot easier than it would on a tubeless rim.

Experts, what do you do with your bacon fixes (for a puncture) once you get home? Just trim more or less flush with the tire and hope it stays in place? Flatted yesterday with a beautifully executed huck-to-shark, relatively big hole, sank a bacon in there and it held but came off an hour later after a particularly long section of steep skidding. 2nd bacon stayed in place fine. I have patched sidewall tears from the inside before when they were pretty big, never had to do it to a puncture that sealed with bacon. It's a bit of a PITA but since the tire is pretty much new it might be worth it... Can you "fuse" the bacon in place with a drop of rubber sealant?
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Radial auto patch on the inside is the definitive repair. Definitely worth it on a nearly-new tire.

eta: You could also try a Dart. Anything that leaves the bacon in place is asking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Experts, what do you do with your bacon fixes (for a puncture) once you get home? Just trim more or less flush with the tire and hope it stays in place? Flatted yesterday with a beautifully executed huck-to-shark, relatively big hole, sank a bacon in there and it held but came off an hour later after a particularly long section of steep skidding. 2nd bacon stayed in place fine. I have patched sidewall tears from the inside before when they were pretty big, never had to do it to a puncture that sealed with bacon. It's a bit of a PITA but since the tire is pretty much new it might be worth it... Can you "fuse" the bacon in place with a drop of rubber sealant?
    I'd personally remove the plug and repair with a proper vulcanized automotive tire patch from the inside.

ETA: GODDAMMIT DtM.

Shite, was hoping to avoid pulling the tire and patching inside... It's an EXO tire so best course of action would be to set it on fire and move on but those fucking Dissectors are impossible to find in DD.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Shite, was hoping to avoid pulling the tire and patching inside... It's an EXO tire so best course of action would be to set it on fire and move on but those fucking Dissectors are impossible to find in DD.
    https://thelostco.com/products/maxxi...32446037983313
    They've got both 29 & 27.5 DD versions in stock.

<snip> It's an EXO tire so best course of action would be to set it on fire and move on
    Glad you're aware of the proper solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    https://thelostco.com/products/maxxi...32446037983313
    They've got both 29 & 27.5 DD versions in stock.
    Thanks, found those this morning and decided to buy new tires for the Subi for the same price.
    $100 for a tire, get outta here Maxxis, you're drunk

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Glad you're aware of the proper solution.
    Your warnings are finally going to be taken into consideration. After ripping a bunch of Exos to shred cause I learn slow.
    Keep an eye on this thread for grumblings about the Spesh Eliminator I'm about to purchase, mount, and hate.

<snip>
    Your warnings are finally going to be taken into consideration. After ripping a bunch of Exos to shred cause I learn slow.
    With age comes wisdom, young Padawan.

Wait - were these *rear* tires?? These EXO's that you ripped to shreds?

With age comes wisdom, young Padawan.

Wait - were these *rear* tires?? These EXO's that you ripped to shreds?
    Yep. Running EXO+ DHF in the front at 21 psi and I've never had an issue no matter how poor my line choice is.

Yep. Running EXO+ DHF in the front at 21 psi and I've never had an issue no matter how poor my line choice is.
    Wait. You're running EXO+ in the front but EXO out back??

Ask the experts

The automotive patch is a good solution, but I disagree that’s it’s definitive. This is another option. Pretty fiddly, but I’ve never had one fail. I had a multi strip plug hold a torn Minion SS together for the remaining life of the tire.

https://www.modernbike.com/product-2126183177?TID=394
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If the rims aren't technically tubeless compatible, you won't necessarily get the bead to pop.

Tubeless setup will still usually work fine, but the tire will burp a lot easier than it would on a tubeless rim.
    I learned the hard way with this. Setup one of my little rippers tubeless and he had the front tire burp in the middle of a turn. Nasty spill. In my head the math was “he doesn’t weigh much + he doesn’t go that fast = he can run really low pressure to get a softer ride”. That math failed to account for several strips of gorilla tape making a cheap rim tubeless means that sucker will burp pretty easily. He is tough and wasn’t seriously hurt but I check that pressure pretty regularly now.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaSnow View Post
    I learned the hard way with this. Setup one of my little rippers tubeless and he had the front tire burp in the middle of a turn. Nasty spill. In my head the math was “he doesn’t weigh much + he doesn’t go that fast = he can run really low pressure to get a softer ride”. That math failed to account for several strips of gorilla tape making a cheap rim tubeless means that sucker will burp pretty easily. He is tough and wasn’t seriously hurt but I check that pressure pretty regularly now.

I don't know about bicycle rims, but tubeless moto rims are designed to keep the tire in place better even if they loose pressure, as a sudden loss of pressure can be tricky, but a sudden loss of tire is pretty much impossible to ride out of.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Wait. You're running EXO+ in the front but EXO out back??
    I used to run EXO+ front and back (DHF and DHR2 or Aggressor) and flatted maybe twice over 2000 miles so I didn't feel the need to go DD in the rear. When I wanted to try a Dissector I couldn't find EXO+ or DD so I bought an EXO just to see how the tire worked. I promptly sliced a sidewall riding into a razor blade rock in the dark. I don't think any tire would have liked that... I patched the slice and had good luck with the tire for another 800 miles so when another Dissector EXO popped up for $50 I bought it. I flatted it twice on its 3rd ride and have now accepted that it might be time for a burlier casing if I want to keep hucking the bike into pointy rocks...

I used to run EXO+ front and back (DHF and DHR2 or Aggressor) and flatted maybe twice over 2000 miles so I didn't feel the need to go DD in the rear. When I wanted to try a Dissector I couldn't find EXO+ or DD so I bought an EXO just to see how the tire worked. I promptly sliced a sidewall riding into a razor blade rock in the dark. I don't think any tire would have liked that... I patched the slice and had good luck with the tire for another 800 miles so when another Dissector EXO popped up for $50 I bought it. I flatted it twice on its 3rd ride and have now accepted that it might be time for a burlier casing if I want to keep hucking the bike into pointy rocks...
    Ahh... OK. I was about to roundly insult your intelligence *and* your mother.

Ahh... OK. I was about to roundly insult your intelligence *and* your mother.
    If I were you I wouldn't pass on the opportunity, this is TGR after all and I think I have a track record that makes it clear that I'm not all there...

RockShox SDU is losing air.
    I'll be YouTubing rebuilds, etc, anything I should know before I get too deep?

It's a 2019/20 ish vintage.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

this is my fear. but now my little ripper goes bigger than me so a tire failure could be pretty ugly. both tires seem to be holding but am a little wary still.

this is my fear. but now my little ripper goes bigger than me so a tire failure could be pretty ugly. both tires seem to be holding but am a little wary still.
    Was he flatting tubes regularly? Maybe get some of those DH-style tubes?

Ive posted this a couple times but its a great application for this set up. Glue the excess tube to the sidewall as well. You can run it with less air for a kid and he'll never burp it. Im guessing its easier to set up on a kids tire and non tubeless rim

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app