Page 323 of 533 FirstFirst ... 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 ... LastLast
Results 8,051 to 8,075 of 13303

Thread: Ask the experts

Smallest Bontrager
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1654898348.398058.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	418567

Name:	Image1654898361.513316.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	418568
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    It seems to me that the seat is about the worst place to you can put storage except for on your body, doubly so when you are asking a dropper to move the weight. Lower your center of gravity and don't make the dropper push weight!

OneUp EDC with a tire plug and masterlink pliers is the lightest and most compact way to have all the tools (allens, T25, chaintool, and masterlinks). I put mine in my stem and use a super light Lezyne Pocket Drive HV (90g $30), but you can also get a OneUp Pump and put the EDC in the pump! If you pass through Summit and want to tap your steerer, I have a tap (install is redic simple).
    https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/edc-v2-tool

I strap the pump plus a Tubolito and lever to the downtube, what else could I need? I strap on a CO2 in that bunch if needed.

Garmin, food, medkit in frame bags... strap a coat to the frame if needed.

No packs unless I need more than the 1L I can put in 1-2 Fidlock bottles (then add my hip pack) or need to carry pads and chinpiece up the climb. No packs! Improve ventilation, keep the weight off the body, and low on the frame! Once you ditch the pack, you won't want it back.
    I'm generally with Summit here except that I do actually carry a little bit on the seat and I always carry a hip pack (because I drink a fuckload of water). It still beats a backpack by a mile, so much cooler and more comfortable.

-OneUp EDC pump & tool w/ quicklink mounted on waterbottle cage on downtube
    -water bottle on frame with electrolyte mix
    -small bag on bottom of toptube with Dynaplugs, tire levers, CO2, derailluer hanger, shift cable, etc. One bike has a Dakine HotLaps and the other a Wolftooth TechLite bag which I think I like a little better
    -small bag under the seat with medkit (again liking the Wolftooth bag here). Doesn't hit the tire on either bike and is light enough to not be noticeable.
    -Dakine hip pack with up to 2L of water, food, InReach, and a few additional medkit/bike repair supplies. I could find a way to move most of this to the frame if I drank less water but I just find my body needs a shit ton even on shorter rides. For long rides I add in an MSR TrailShot filter.
    -jacket strapped to frame if needed. I can also strap a small camera bag with my a6000 w/ 35mm prime to the top tube if I want

Pretty rare these days that I'll run an actual backpack...

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    nothing to unthread with fillmores
    Well, funny you say that. Had my first odd thing with the Fillmore tonight. It was dusk (and I wasn’t wearing my glasses, shame on me). I added some air, that was easy. But putting the cap back on the valve got a teensy bit cockeyed, and either cross threaded a tiny bit on the valve, or inside the cap (I’ll investigate tomorrow). It worked just fine without the cap, though, so that’s good.
    I am also going to paint the valve cap safety orange or something, way too easy to lose track of it while pumping.

Also concerned about topping off sealant, they claim any injector will work, but those are a PITA compared to the used small Stan’s bottle method.

Also curious how one would ‘degunk’ the valve of built up sealant (we all know it’s gonna happen).

Google Says:

Dissolving Dried Latex with Commerical Products
    There are several commercial products that can dissolve Latex. "Goof Off" and "Oops", intended for household use, are found in many hardware stores and offer water-based and environmentally friendly versions. Tetrahydrofuran (THF) readily dissolves latex. Due to its highly flammable and explosive nature, THF is reserved for industrial use. Nitrile or neoprene rubber gloves should be used to administer THF..

Sounds…potent
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Whats your recommendation?
    Literally any other pump on the market. Lezynes are the only ones I've ever had issues with.

Lezynes work fine if you're careful not to tighten the pump on too hard but it definitely requires more technique than it should. I still sort of like them for the combination of being small and having a hose, so you're not tanking on the valve as you pump but I'm not going to tell you you're wrong if you don't want to put up with it.

The Topeak Mountain Morph is awesome if you want a fairly big mini pump that's really nice to use and flows a lot of air, but you're not getting it in a hip pack. I also like the One Up pretty well.

This is my go to. At least two people have commented on my impressive girth on the trails.

Name:	70EE61B3-7C30-4BC9-A6B0-CF2C01EA5724.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	374.7 KB 
ID:	418605

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    This is my go to. At least two people have commented on my impressive girth on the trails.

Name:	70EE61B3-7C30-4BC9-A6B0-CF2C01EA5724.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	374.7 KB 
ID:	418605
    That little guy looks like it flat fucks. Or is it fucks flats? Gonna have to look into that one.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I think they quit making the one without the gauge, but yes, this thing rocks.
    (Trump Hand included for scale)
    Name:  0A3A7F03-6F76-4425-8AD0-1083EEDE4D69.jpeg
Views: 387
Size:  92.2 KB

Name:  6364EAF1-EE91-4959-A782-4D950593FB60.jpeg
Views: 385
Size:  257.3 KB

Beyond my dislike of lezynes, I'm not too picky with mini pumps. But I have a syncros pump (I think it's the older version of the boundary 1.5 hv) that's fairly ideal. Small enough to fit pretty much anywhere, has a hose, nozzle attaches to valve at 90° angle, and it doesn't unscrew the valve core upon removal.

Syncros doesn't currently make a mini pump with a hose as far as I can see.
    https://www.syncros.com/global/en/pr...essories-pumps

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Syncros doesn't currently make a mini pump with a hose as far as I can see.
    https://www.syncros.com/global/en/pr...essories-pumps
    They suck at marketing but that’s what “extendable head” means… you would think they would show that feature in a picture.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Nothing worse, jacking off and breaking the prick. Pumping chump must have hoes of disengagement. https://youtu.be/byDiILrNbM4

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    They suck at marketing but that’s what “extendable head” means… you would think they would show that feature in a picture.
    Wow, that's some next-level marketing fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Wow, that's some next-level marketing fail.
    They're swiss engineers. I'm just impressed the pump isn't named "bicycle pump model 3.27 beta."

But it does work pretty well.

I've broken two spokes on the rear wheel of my mountain bike in the past three weeks. They are Reynolds carbon rims, unknown brand straight pull bladed spokes, and i9 hubs. Both spokes have broken just inside the nipple, meaning I've had to take tire/insert/tape off twice and I'm getting frustrated. Is there anything I can to stop this from happening? Both breaks have come while climbing, no sticks or rock impacts that I know of. Wheel is true, and a little bit out of round. Spoke tension felt ok by hand, nothing super loose or tight. I guess whatever spokes Reynolds used might just suck

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    I've broken two spokes on the rear wheel of my mountain bike in the past three weeks. They are Reynolds carbon rims, unknown brand straight pull bladed spokes, and i9 hubs. Both spokes have broken just inside the nipple, meaning I've had to take tire/insert/tape off twice and I'm getting frustrated. Is there anything I can to stop this from happening? Both breaks have come while climbing, no sticks or rock impacts that I know of. Wheel is true, and a little bit out of round. Spoke tension felt ok by hand, nothing super loose or tight. I guess whatever spokes Reynolds used might just suck

Sometimes a set of spokes gets brittle and wears out/fails all at once, especially when an initial failure stresses the rest of the system. How old is the wheel? Might be time to just suck it up and get the whole thing rebuilt with all new spokes.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Sometimes a set of spokes gets brittle and wears out/fails all at once, especially when an initial failure stresses the rest of the system. How old is the wheel? Might be time to just suck it up and get the whole thing rebuilt with all new spokes.

Its the carbon wheelset from a 2019 pivot firebird, so 4 years old now. For a 2k wheelset you'd hope they could last that long but maybe not

Reynolds has always given incredible tech support. I've had them cover issues even as a second owner. If you are replacing multiple spokes I would reach out directly and let them know what's going on. They have always taken great care of me.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Reynolds has always given incredible tech support. I've had them cover issues even as a second owner. If you are replacing multiple spokes I would reach out directly and let them know what's going on. They have always taken great care of me.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    Good to know. If it happens again I'll reach out to them. I'm not that big of a person and have been breaking spokes climbing at a normal cadence so I think its a spoke issue and not a maintenance thing. Gotten good at removing and installing cushcore from doing this repeatedly though haha

Ask the experts

I’m building up a wheel, (and will build up another one in about a month), and how much should I stress it?
    I’ve watched this guy Ali on YouTube and he literally stands on all the spokes to stress it.
    That seems a little much. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post

This. If I start breaking spokes repeatedly for no obvious reason, it's time to re-lace the wheel with fresh spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I’m building up a wheel, (and will build up another one in about a month), and how much should I stress it?
    I’ve watched this guy Ali on YouTube and he literally stands on all the spokes to stress it.
    That seems a little much. What do you guys think?
    I usually:
    1) lightly tap the heads of the spokes with a punch to seat them into the hubs (j-bend only).
    2) use a screwdriver to lever the spoke crosses against each other.
    3) use a screwdriver handle at the spoke crosses and push it towards the hub.
    4) put the wheel on its side on the floor and basically do a push up on the wheel. Rotate 15°, repeat until you've gone all the way around the wheel. Flip the wheel over, repeat.
    5) check true and tension balance, repeat steps 1-4 if I make any significant changes.

I’m in the same camp as Toast.
    Punch to set J-bends
    Squeeze the spokes with a leather glove
    I have a old hammer handle to push the crosses down
    Push ups on the rim in 15* rotations

I typically do this at 80% tension, then again at 100%

That sounds exactly like what I was thinking. Thanks guys.

I need a handful of valve stems for demo bikes that come with tubes installed (WTF?)... thoughts on which brand to get that won't break the bank, but are still reliable?