Page 334 of 532 FirstFirst ... 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 ... LastLast
Results 8,326 to 8,350 of 13288

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    The LBS doesn't stock super safety oriented brands like Leatt, Kali, and 6D. They do have brands like Giro and Bell, but not necessarily the models/sizes I want, especially these days.
    Do we think the first the brands are safer than all Giro/Bell? I'm not saying they aren't, I am just curious what the perception is. I mean Giro/Bell has probably saved more brains than the other brands combined at this point in the game.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Do we think the first the brands are safer than all Giro/Bell? I'm not saying they aren't, I am just curious what the perception is. I mean Giro/Bell has probably saved more brains than the other brands combined at this point in the game.
    Nope! I didn't mean that Giro/Bell are less safe. Not at all, sorry for the confusion. I am riding a Bell for my trail/enduro helmet which replaced my previous Bell. I used to have ride a Giro FF and an several Giro snow helmets. I actually put them in the same tier at the moment as the other 3 brands I mentioned which are just less common in the LBS. But having more top safety brands to choose from makes it more likely you find the safest helmet with a great fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I would argue that a perfect fit does more for safety than fancy plastic widgets in the helmet. If the one that fits you perfect has fancy widgets, then that's even better.

Even within a given brand, fit will vary from model to model.
    I guess it depends what you mean by "perfect fit." We all know poorly fitting helmets are less safe because forces aren't evenly distributed or the helmet may not be in the position it should be in.

I would use the phrasing: a helmet needs to fit well, great even: by that I mean stays put, even pressure, and is comfortable.

Given that, a perfect fitting helmet is not necessarily ANY safer than a helmet that fits very well.

I will also say that advanced helmet design make a huge difference in safety. Managing impact forces/accelerations is the key to safety. Actually, pre-MIPS, the very well fitting helmet with a little-but-safe-amount-of-slip probably was significantly safer than a perfect fitting helmet with no/less slip!

Shear force management is a HUGE deal and having the right helmet design to manage that is key. Shear forces have to be mitigated and any helmet without those polymer widgets it is less safe and is outdated. I think Spherical MIPS and/or elastomers (only 6D does both) do it the best. This is how you reduce axonal shearing and concussion. Newer helmet certs in the Moto world actually require this performance measurement to get the cert.

Managing different impact speeds is a premium feature. This is only accomplished by having multiple EPS/EPO foam densities. Two densities minimum! Having a low density viscoelastic system (like Leatt, 6D, Kali, Bontrager, etc) accomplishes extra handling for low speed bumps in a multi-impact sense without using EPP (not that there is anything wrong with EPP) and uses the same feature to also manage shear forces. The newest EC moto testing is actually requiring evaluation at multiple impact speeds to ensure helmets are not "too hard" or "too soft" and offer adequate mitigation across a range of speeds.

Other features matter hugely for safety as well: no sharp edges, breakaway visors, breakaway mounts (if you are a go-proer), ejectable cheek pads for FFs... and I look for many of those before I look for sunglass mounts... (but really how hard is that manufacturers).

A great fitting, comfortable, helmet with the best protective features is what I look for and luckily there are enough out there now that there most people can find their fit without compromising safety.

Someone just sent me that. I think it is a nice research tool and glad it is a required thing for competition, but I wonder with the sensor on the external shell if it is giving your the info you really want? It appears to just give a simple view of acceleration, not a breakdown of direction, linear vs angular, etc? If it is useful for an individual I'm no so sure?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5384819/

I mean, it might be a data piece for the "oh I didn't hit it that hard," probably a very good thing for competitors. But recreators who plop $ for this are probably already going to have a low index... maybe it will help them with the "should I replace my $premium$ helmet?" I assume anyone buying a $100 impact sensor has spared absolutely no expense on their helmets...

Seems like there are other products out there that will do things like call 911 for you if you crash hard and that might be a better use of $?

Someone just sent me that. I think it is a nice research tool and glad it is a required thing for competition, but I wonder with the sensor on the external shell if it is giving your the info you really want? It appears to just give a simple view of acceleration, not a breakdown of direction, linear vs angular, etc? If it is useful for an individual I'm no so sure?
    I could see it being useful on a relative basis. Use it every ride, establish a baseline, and monitor the deviation from said baseline. It would be interesting to see what the G load is in-non-crash scenarios like a really rough trail or head-whip on big landings.

Indeed... I wonder if I could just use a phone app for that? Good accelerometers and gyros in smart phones/watches these days...

Indeed... I wonder if I could just use a phone app for that? Good accelerometers and gyros in smart phones/watches these days...
    A watch app would probably work. I'm not too interested in strapping my phone to my helmet on descents.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    A watch app would probably work. I'm not too interested in strapping my phone to my helmet on descents.
    You mean you don't do that already for your helmet cam?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blizzard-14.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	531.9 KB 
ID:	420825

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I could see it being useful on a relative basis. Use it every ride, establish a baseline, and monitor the deviation from said baseline. It would be interesting to see what the G load is in-non-crash scenarios like a really rough trail or head-whip on big landings.
    The thing though is.. I think some of those things should be in the 'brain tally of bounces' column of our mental spreadsheet of concussions, repetitive hits, etc.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by BigHerm View Post
    The Forefront 2 has sunglass storage. You put the visor to the highest position and your glasses slide in (upside down) to the channel. Works well for goggle storage too (when you go full enduro).
    Yep…and sometimes I’ll put them on the back of the helmet so I can put the visor down on long sunny climbs to keep a little sun off the face.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1657149662.656974.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	420852Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9071.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	236.5 KB 
ID:	420853

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Maybe it’s better with Smith glasses but my blenders don’t stay in there particularly well. Def wouldn’t ride anything fast and bumpy with them there but works for climbing. I was excited for that feature on the forefront but basically never use it
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Yeah, both my Attack MAG and Shift MAG stay in real nice. Also, I feel like the whole point of this is for climbing/not riding. When I'm moving at speed I want the eye protection to, you know, protect my eyes. Too much crap coming off my front wheel, especially with the half ass ZEB fender.
    "Just send it you pussy."

I found an answer to an issue I am sure many had to deal with.
    Leaky valves. Sure, good valves on good rims work well, but ghetto conversions have a hard time sealing and end up leaking. Non setting sealants, known as #2 from many manufacturers. Loctite makes one I use, permatex also makes it and there is a highly regarded one from holymar that has its roots in aviation engine sealants. I used it on lots of engines. It seals very well with good gap fill. I even used it on a maimed oil pan I had to pry off an engine. It's easy to clean off and reapply. Anyways, it also does an excellent job sealing valves.

Anyone here have any time on the new Lyrik or Zebs with Charger 3 and buttercups? I’m due for a new 160 travel fork on the Sentinel, but can’t seem to find much info that doesn’t reek of bike industry shilling.

Been on the E version of the ZEB for 6 months on my Bullit and no complaints

before that I had a fox 36 on my 5.5 so I like them both and couldn't say I like one better than the other
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Been on the E version of the ZEB for 6 months on my Bullit and no complaints

before that I had a fox 36 on my 5.5 so I like them both and couldn't say I like one better than the other
    I’m specifically asking about the new forks with the updated damper and buttercup things, which only dropped like a month ago. Did you have early access to the new new, or are you referring to what is now the previous generation of Zeb?

I got the bike in september and the ZEB is the E specific version, I havent done anything to it, havent needed to, just anothr data point
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ask the experts

Brake pad replacements?

Are the “fancy” pads better than OEM? (MTX)

Are the “cheap” pads worse than OEM? (Truckerco)

What’s the move?

Anyone tried Miles Racing Pads?

(Magura MT7s)

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

In my experience, Magura's pads are made out of the same buttery material as XTR cassettes. They work well, but don't last very long at all. Trickstuff pads for Magura are crazy powerful but disappear even faster. I like MTX on my Codes but haven't tried them on Maguras.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Brake pad replacements?

Are the “fancy” pads better than OEM? (MTX)

Are the “cheap” pads worse than OEM? (Truckerco)

What’s the move?

Anyone tried Miles Racing Pads?

(Magura MT7s)

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I buy lots of the Truckerco pads cause they are cheap as shit and have worked really well for me the last 3 years. They’re quiet and the add a little bit more modulation to my shimano brakes. For the price they are tough to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    I’m specifically asking about the new forks with the updated damper and buttercup things, which only dropped like a month ago. Did you have early access to the new new, or are you referring to what is now the previous generation of Zeb?
    I have one on the way, will report ASAP.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I buy lots of the Truckerco pads cause they are cheap as shit and have worked really well for me the last 3 years. They’re quiet and the add a little bit more modulation to my shimano brakes. For the price they are tough to beat.

Truckerco for me too. Buy them in 4-packs (8 pads) and they're really cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Can i put a 12 speed sram drivetrain on an 11 speed XD driver? Will i need a new chainring too? Internet seems to say yes, but I’m never confident in my findings.
    I want that 52 tooth!

Gravity always wins...

XD driver is 11 and 12s capable.
    The tooth profile on 11s and 12s chainrings are cross compatible. They just designed the 12s a little different for better chain retention. But if you look at 3rd party chainrings they list them as 11s and 12s compatible.