Page 143 of 530 FirstFirst ... 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 ... LastLast
Results 3,551 to 3,575 of 13247

Thread: Ask the experts

I have one! I have a pile of Fox (‘19-20, 34 and 36) airshafts that somehow separated from their bags. Anyone have some tips on how to definitively size them, maybe with a pic or two?
    Not sure where to measure them from/to.

Thanks!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

i may have missed if there was discussion already but does anyone have experience with the new XTR hubs? pretty sure they axed sylence but maybe something else about them is terrible. I am not afraid of cup and cone btw.

read something on emptybeer about issues but have a line on some ex511s with xtr that is hard to pass up...
    bumps are for poor people

Could I get someone to look at QBP to see if there's any prayer of getting a Surly Straggler 650b size 50cm?

I managed to wear down the 45t ring on my 12 speed XT cassette after only ~1400 miles or so. Not a lot of stock out there but I did find a 12 speed SLX replacement. I see the 45 and 51t rings on the SLX are different than than the XT's. Question is are the 45 and 51t rings on the SLX stronger but heavier or softer but heavier than the XT's?

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Could I get someone to look at QBP to see if there's any prayer of getting a Surly Straggler 650b size 50cm?
    no stock, no etas
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    no stock, no etas
    thanks mang

Finally, switching to tubeless. I know late to the party.
    Favorite sealant and why?
    Temp range: 30-90F Humidity: very dry, lots of single digits.
    I usually get 0 to 1 flat/ season (2000 miles), cactus or pinch.
    Price is least important.
    Thanks

I’ve had better performance with Orange than Stan’s (never had a weepy or frustrating slow leak tire with Orange)

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Also a fan of Orange. It either seals or it doesn’t. I use the Endurance and can usually get a 32oz bottle for under $30.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Ho View Post
    Thanks
    Every time some company comes out with a new wonder-sealant, they're always compared to Stans. The really good ones get labelled "As good as Stans".
    Do the math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

No problem with Stan's - except with Specialized tires, it seems to make them bubble from the inside out in 12-18mos

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I managed to wear down the 45t ring on my 12 speed XT cassette after only ~1400 miles or so. Not a lot of stock out there but I did find a 12 speed SLX replacement. I see the 45 and 51t rings on the SLX are different than than the XT's. Question is are the 45 and 51t rings on the SLX stronger but heavier or softer but heavier than the XT's?
    I think the difference between XT and SLX cassettes is the number of aluminum sprockets (lighter but softer than the steel ones), 2 for the fancy stuff, 1 for the peasant stuff. If you killed the 45t aluminum sprocket on an XT cassette going to the steel one of the SLX should be much better.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

If cactus is a main concern, glitter in the sealant can be a good friend.

Not sure if there are other 'hacks' that work better.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    No problem with Stan's - except with Specialized tires, it seems to make them bubble from the inside out in 12-18mos
    Bad news for Stans. I'm sure a lawsuit from "S" is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    You've gotta find the most historically hardcore Surly dealer that was stocking Surlys before the Bikepocalypse. They aren't shipping bikes or frames to anyone unless they were an official dealer before the mayhem.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Thank you for all the info everyone. I was leaning towards the Orange Seal.
    Since I have Specialized tires that seals the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Every time some company comes out with a new wonder-sealant, they're always compared to Stans. The really good ones get labelled "As good as Stans".
    Do the math.
    Make your own. 1 part latex mold builder, 3 parts water. Add sparkles if desired. Can confirm it "works as well as Stan's" But costs $20 for 64oz. And less if you to to Michael's store with a 20% off coupon.

edit to add - https://smile.amazon.com/Environment...6103853&sr=8-2

IME:

-Stan's is generally the reference, and works pretty well. Their Race stuff does a better job of sealing larger holes than the standard goo, but dries out faster.
    -Orange Seal does a good job getting new tires to seal, and doesn't dry out as fast as Stan's but isn't as good at sealing punctures/holes.
    -Finish Line is useless.
    -Initial impressions of Muc Off are really good, but I need to put more time on it.

I've used Stan's and Orange

Orange cuz thats what I could order easily from MEC.ca with other stuff, no shipping charge on >50$ worth products, Stan's when I could scam it from shop bro, I couldn't say one works > the other but the free stuff was free

I got some of the Orange valve stems with removable cores and those are nice cuz you can just remove the core to inject more product,

The Orange comes in a bottle with a handy tube to inject more product into the valve stem so those are handy to hang on to for topping up the tire, there must be other MFGers who make the same kind of stems
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I've used Stan's and Orange

Orange cuz thats what I could order easily from MEC.ca with other stuff, no shipping charge on >50$ worth products, Stan's when I could scam it from shop bro, I couldn't say one works > the other but the free stuff was free

I got some of the Orange valve stems with removable cores and those are nice cuz you can just remove the core to inject more product,

The Orange comes in a bottle with a handy tube to inject more product into the valve stem so those are handy to hang on to for topping up the tire, there must be other MFGers who make the same kind of stems
    I can't think of the last time I ran into a tubeless valve that didn't have a removable core.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I can't think of the last time I ran into a tubeless valve that didn't have a removable core.
    Is that even a thing? Seems like almost all tubes even come with a removable core.

You can buy the little bottle of Stan's that is sized to fit right into the valve. Pull the core, squirt and go. I usually keep it in my truck in case somebody needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Ho View Post
    Thanks
    I've been using Continental's Revo sealant with no issues for the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I think the difference between XT and SLX cassettes is the number of aluminum sprockets (lighter but softer than the steel ones), 2 for the fancy stuff, 1 for the peasant stuff. If you killed the 45t aluminum sprocket on an XT cassette going to the steel one of the SLX should be much better.
    Thanks, man. I suspected this was the case. Peasant level SLX cassette it is.

Re: Sealant - for road I use Stans and inject it through the valve. For MTB I use Stans Race, which has more/bigger particulates, that needs to be poured in the tire. It’s chunks are too big to go through valve.
    I love the little 2oz Stans bottles, I keep a few in my car/gear bag to use as a top up a tire if someone needs a tire repair at the trail head.
    One of the bike brands I build comes with 2 in the factory box. I just save them and dump 2 oz from my bulk bottle into the new builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Re: Sealant - for road I use Stans and inject it through the valve. For MTB I use Stans Race, which has more/bigger particulates, that needs to be poured in the tire. It’s chunks are too big to go through valve.
    I love the little 2oz Stans bottles, I keep a few in my car/gear bag to use as a top up a tire if someone needs a tire repair at the trail head.
    One of the bike brands I build comes with 2 in the factory box. I just save them and dump 2 oz from my bulk bottle into the new builds.
    What he said.
    Whenever I have to break a tire bead I add Stan's Race and use Stan's regular when adding through the valve.