Page 312 of 521 FirstFirst ... 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 ... LastLast
Results 7,776 to 7,800 of 13021

Thread: Ask the experts

^Any issues with suspension oil vs mineral?

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    No experience with your trail conditions, but have played around with a handful of inserts on lighter casing tires at lighter weight (aiming for sidewall stability & rim protection). The short of it would be that if you're serious about protecting rims, I don't think you can drop your pressure more than maybe 1 psi. I am running EXO+ (old style) with a Tubolight HD insert at very low pressures, but it's for sidewall stability since my local trails aren't rocky. When I go ride somewhere rocky, I wouldn't run anything lighter than DD in the rear, probably with my same insert for piece of mind. I haven't tried DH casing yet, but it's on my list to do this summer.

I personally hate the Aggressor (felt that it doesn't roll that much faster than DHR but brakes and corners far worse). The Dissector does roll much faster than a DHR and still corners ok, but it wears out very very quickly. I start seeing significant wear on a DD MG Dissector in like 9 rides on hardpack. I'd guess rock would just eat up the braking edges and side knobs. I briefly tried an Eliminator T7/T9 and really liked it - it felt like a good midpoint between Dissector and DHR. If I wasn't shallow and cared about running matched tires, I'd run it on the rear. (Don't like the Butcher up front vs. an Assegai, so that's my matchy-matchy hangup. When they finally release the Cannibal, I'll try that with Eliminator.)
    Dissector is a tire I LOVE for CO/Moab but it wears fast. I ran it EXO+ for rear with a DHR front. I might switch to two EXO+ for a trail wheelset and then dual DHR DD for a DH wheelset. Dissector does NOT handle wet.

Any thoughts on the Tubolight vs Huck NOrris?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Interesting that combo doesn't swell seals or have other drawbacks.
    Why would you think it would cause problems? Shocks and forks have seals too. All that's needed is a light viscosity oil. People use Johnson & Johnson baby oil sometimes, though I wouldn't except in an emergency. I've also used ATF, but it's too thick to really work well.

Putting DOT fluid into an oil system will definitely cause all sorts of trouble, but that's not what we're talking about.

The whole oil world is so full of mumbo jumbo and faith-based "truths" that it's nearly impossible to know what actually matters. Wade into any oil thread on a car or moto site and you'll find a staggering level of Dunning Kruger.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I've been using 2.5 or 3w suspension oil in Shimano brakes for years bc it's way cheaper, I already had a ton for moto shocks, and it's red. Red is faster, as we all know.
    Hmmm, I hadn't considered the color / speed variable. That alone is a pretty compelling reason.

Ask the experts

How does the ~2017 Hightower LT hold up with newer progressive geometry bikes? It’s got pretty dated numbers (66.4HTA, 73.7STA).

Local sale has one with CC frame, Enve wheels, 36Grip2, and Xx1 for really reasonable price. I’d probably flog it for a year or two and then move the components to a Sentinel frame.

Or should I just get my name on the Transition waiting list and hope one comes in the next few years.

I’m in a 2017 Trance now (really similar fit numbers to the Hightower LT) and it’s pretty well upgraded but I’d like to move to 29er wheels and carbon frame. Plus I’m getting a superstitious bad juju from my bike after it tried to kill me a couple months ago. Just haven’t wrapped my mind back into trusting it.

If a Revel Rail29 looks good to you, let me know. I’ve got some arriving in August/Sept and could put your name on one.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Why would you think it would cause problems? Shocks and forks have seals too. All that's needed is a light viscosity oil. People use Johnson & Johnson baby oil sometimes, though I wouldn't except in an emergency. I've also used ATF, but it's too thick to really work well.

Putting DOT fluid into an oil system will definitely cause all sorts of trouble, but that's not what we're talking about.

The whole oil world is so full of mumbo jumbo and faith-based "truths" that it's nearly impossible to know what actually matters. Wade into any oil thread on a car or moto site and you'll find a staggering level of Dunning Kruger.
    This why I only use locally sourced organic snake oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    How does the ~2017 Hightower LT hold up with newer progressive geometry bikes? It’s got pretty dated numbers (66.4HTA, 73.7STA).

Local sale has one with CC frame, Enve wheels, 36Grip2, and Xx1 for really reasonable price. I’d probably flog it for a year or two and then move the components to a Sentinel frame.

Or should I just get my name on the Transition waiting list and hope one comes in the next few years.

I’m in a 2017 Trance now (really similar fit numbers to the Hightower LT) and it’s pretty well upgraded but I’d like to move to 29er wheels and carbon frame. Plus I’m getting a superstitious bad juju from my bike after it tried to kill me a couple months ago. Just haven’t wrapped my mind back into trusting it.
    Hightower LT barely held up against other 2017 bikes. The LT used the same front triangle as the regular Hightower and felt like a slapped together solution from Santa Cruz when they realized everyone wanted a longer travel 29er and they didn't make one.

I feel like there are other bikes of that vintage that would be a more worthwhile use of funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post

I had a last gen Hightower and currently ride the newest version, The old HT feels quite outdated compared to the modern geo of the new version. The seat tube angle is too slack, the reach feels short and the HTA feels very XC by today's standards.

The old HT's still a very solid bike, especially if the price is right, but don't get one expecting it to ride like modern full suspension bike.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I had a last gen Hightower and currently ride the newest version, The old HT feels quite outdated compared to the modern geo of the new version. The seat tube angle is too slack, the reach feels short and the HTA feels very XC by today's standards.

The old HT's still a very solid bike, especially if the price is right, but don't get one expecting it to ride like modern full suspension bike.
    Yeah, agree. I still ride my G1 HT and I still love it, but compared to my newer Bronson it's certainly dated. I consider my HT my XC bike now.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    My understanding is that most suspension oils have additives to reduce foaming and minimize aeration of the oil, none of which would really make any difference in brakes. Synthetic suspension oils probably also hold up better to abuse over time, but again, I don't think mountain bike brakes are asking much of the oils, so I doubt that makes any real difference either.

If he's doing to it reduce fade, that would imply that suspension oil has a better ability to draw heat away from the caliper. Regardless of whether suspension oil is notably different than mineral oil in that regard, there's such a tiny quantity of oil in those systems, I'm pretty skeptical that it would make any difference at all. Synthetic oils are probably going to expand from the heat a bit less, but any modern brake has a reservoir to handle that heat expansion so I don't think there'd be any real benefit there.

Ultimately seems like the kind of thing that has some very minor theoretical advantages, zero real world advantage, but it lets the mechanic talk about it and make himself look techy and smart.
    I remember like 20 yrs ago the lbs was scoping a lever return problem on shimano brakes and it was discovered drug store mineral oil was making the brakes sluggish, I can't tell you the particulars of who did what but it might have been something to do with a bit ofcold weather

in any case it caused a problem caused shop time/ shop $ not to mention brakes are pretty important so is it really worth it to put in something the mfger doesn't recommend ?

more anecdote we had a HW contracter somehow mix up which fluid goes where ( drunk?) in his old Buick wagon, phones up and sez he can't work for us until he fixes his brakes which were completely fucked
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-20-2022 at 11:57 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I had a HT LT. I upped the fork to 160, which made the front end feel a bit better.. the seat tube was a bit too slack, but I have really short legs and rode a medium, so it was not nearly as pronounced as a buddy that had it with an XL and a 5 inch longer inseam.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Looking for a solution to easily move tools between 2 of my bikes. I have a Transition Sentinel with bottle bosses to mount to, and a steel hardtail that I'll mount to the frame. I'm looking to carry a Tubolito tube, Wolf Tooth pack pliers, a CO2 cartridge, a set of Pedro's tire levers, and a Dynaplug Racer Pro. I'd also like to fit an Inreach mini if possible.

The best option I've found so far is 76 Projects and their Micro Piggy set up: https://us.76projects.com/products/micro-piggy

Anyone else have other suggestions or ideas?

I have a friend that wants to try to mulletize her modern 27.5 bike by swapping in a 26 rear wheel. Any suggestions for sourcing a decent 26” wheel with boost spacing, HG (11 speed) freehub, for a reasonable cost?

Yes, she’s vertically challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by meepmoop24 View Post
    Looking for a solution to easily move tools between 2 of my bikes. I have a Transition Sentinel with bottle bosses to mount to, and a steel hardtail that I'll mount to the frame. I'm looking to carry a Tubolito tube, Wolf Tooth pack pliers, a CO2 cartridge, a set of Pedro's tire levers, and a Dynaplug Racer Pro. I'd also like to fit an Inreach mini if possible.

The best option I've found so far is 76 Projects and their Micro Piggy set up: https://us.76projects.com/products/micro-piggy

Oneup EDC
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Oneup EDC
    I have a Oneup pump with EDC tool already on the bike. With a CO2 cartridge in there I still need a place to stash the tube, pack pliers, tire levers, Racer Pro, and Inreach Mini.

Ask the experts

Wolftooth B-rad strap could be an option. I’ve got the mini, big enough for a tube and a multi tool or plug kit and not much else. Would need the medium for anything more. Could leave the base on the bike with extra bosses and just strap to other frame.

Thanks folks, I’m passing on the HT-LT. Looking at the specs I’ll probably end up with HTv2 next yer if I don’t pull the trigger on a Sentinel sooner

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 4.13.11 PM.png
Views: 299
Size:  597.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    I have a friend that wants to try to mulletize her modern 27.5 bike by swapping in a 26 rear wheel. Any suggestions for sourcing a decent 26” wheel with boost spacing, HG (11 speed) freehub, for a reasonable cost?

Build one (or have it done). I doubt that configuration is going to be available anywhere unless it's somebody's used, custom built one. The death of 26" came before boost really took over, if I recall my history correct.

Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post

Not sure how picky she is, but 26" tire options are becoming increasingly slim.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Not sure how picky she is, but 26" tire options are becoming increasingly slim.
    I have warned her about some of the potential problems, which is part of the reason I am hoping she can give it a go with minimal investment. I’m not convinced she is going to actually stick with the mini mullet.

I was hoping maybe somebody would have a suggestion for a way to convert an old wheel to work with boost, because I figured it might be relatively affordable.

I have a cheap boost spacer kit on my hard tail and it seems to be working fine. Probably purchased on Amazon or eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Wolftooth B-rad strap could be an option. I’ve got the mini, big enough for a tube and a multi tool or plug kit and not much else. Would need the medium for anything more. Could leave the base on the bike with extra bosses and just strap to other frame.
    I was gonna say this. I have the B-rad system and a couple different size rolls and it is easy to switch between bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Something like the Dakine Hot Laps Gripper might do the trick.

Use your jersey pockets?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk