Page 54 of 532 FirstFirst ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 13298

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Cool, thanks.

Back to removing the current headset--buy the Park RT-2 or just DIY one?
    I have always just bashed it out with a old handle bar but maybe you have a sharp accountant who could write it off as a dental tool ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

At this point most bikes are coming with 170mm cranks as they are designed for that length. Not sure exactly when 175mm faded out but the bike designers I know don't use that value for any mountain bikes these days.

Buy the Park Tool headset cup remover. $30 or so and pays for itself in one use. Two whacks of a hammer and your precious Chris King headset is out with no damage.

With integrated headsets I hardly use mine anymore but all these bikes got it used on them at one point.

I really don’t like 170s. I can feel the difference immediately. 34” inseam for it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    At this point most bikes are coming with 170mm cranks as they are designed for that length. Not sure exactly when 175mm faded out but the bike designers I know don't use that value for any mountain bikes these days.
    Bike in question is a 2018 but the one I'm looking at has 170mm crank for size S-M then 175mm for the larger ones. Odd... Ms Boissal has a M and she could enter the Blue Man Group with the frequency of her pedal hits. She's a bit on the hackish side when it comes to line choice and awareness or where she is in her pedal strokes though. A real testament to how solid those Shimano pedals are.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Buy the Park Tool headset cup remover. $30 or so and pays for itself in one use. Two whacks of a hammer and your precious Chris King headset is out with no damage.

With integrated headsets I hardly use mine anymore
    You still need to remove cups on zerostack headsets - but not integrated.

I have an old Nashbar headset removal tool. There's got to be other sources for cheap ones now - ebay, Amazon - This isn't one of those tools where you need precision accuracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Geez don't get me started on wifely pedal whacks. Her last Scott Contessa was the worst. One, because their suspension sucks. Two because they should spec 165mm with their geometry in a small.

The Spot Mayhem does much better but I still had to get her plastic covers for carbon cranks. She still doesn't know how to really ratchet the crank arms for rock timing.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    You still need to remove cups on zerostack headsets - but not integrated.

I have an old Nashbar headset removal tool. There's got to be other sources for cheap ones now - ebay, Amazon - This isn't one of those tools where you need precision accuracy.
    Same difference. I call anything that is drop the bearings into the frame integrated. Sorry.

Yeah buy an off brand if you can. Regardless the tool is very nice to have. Save the big $ for a good torque wrench and headset press.

Ask the experts

I have 180 cranks on all my bikes 35” inseam. I would never change any settings that screwed up with my fit to accommodate rock strikes. For example, the bike shop in Pullman, WA has an adjustable bike system with a power meter and they can adjust the crank arm length. With this, you’ll know which crank arm length gives you the most power.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    There's a bunch of different ones out there. Most are at least $20, so the savings are minimal compared to the Park one that's $30.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 07-10-2020 at 03:45 PM.

On the topic of saving every mm on saddle height, I just replaced my 170 reverb with a 210 oneup. The stack height on the oneup is awesome...my net gain was 8 mm extra height.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I noticed a lot less pedal strikes when I went to 170
    Ditto. Although I have stumpy legs FWIW.

A buddy just got a pair of 165s after somersaulting into the bushes a couple times from pedal strikes with 175s. He said they felt really weird at first, but he changed his pedals to something with less height and has stopped complaining. I've offered to swap with him, at least to try, and he hasn't taken me up on it, so it must be OK now.

How some people on MTBR yank their shorty cranks...

https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-s...k-1144605.html
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Depends if your focused on the downs or climbs. I cant believe i had 175's for so long. Im on the fence with 170's. Theyre probably the best for my 29" inseam when im climbing but theyre too stretched out on downhills. Backpedalling or switching in turns is more seemless with my 165's. Ill probably end up with 165's on the enduro bike and 160's on the eeb. Hard to part with my 170's being sixc's but i miss the simplicity of shimano cranks

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Bike in question is a 2018 but the one I'm looking at has 170mm crank for size S-M then 175mm for the larger ones. Odd... Ms Boissal has a M and she could enter the Blue Man Group with the frequency of her pedal hits. She's a bit on the hackish side when it comes to line choice and awareness or where she is in her pedal strokes though. A real testament to how solid those Shimano pedals are.
    Did you post up pics of her orbea on here? I like ogling new bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Ditto. Although I have stumpy legs FWIW.

A buddy just got a pair of 165s after somersaulting into the bushes a couple times from pedal strikes with 175s. He said they felt really weird at first, but he changed his pedals to something with less height and has stopped complaining. I've offered to swap with him, at least to try, and he hasn't taken me up on it, so it must be OK now.
    Keep in mind - changing pedal height doesn’t change pedaling circumference.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I'd imagine that it blows your resale value to shit though.
    I own a bike to ride it and enjoy it, not to baby it in concern of resale value.
    I’m not sure how trimming 3mm off of the carbon seat mast would effect the resale value?
    When was the last time you purchased a used bike and asked the owner to remove the seat post collar to inspect the frame?
    When was the last time someone said:
    “Oh these carbon handle bars have been cut down to 780mm by a trained professional with the appropriate tools, that’s going to kill the resale value”

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I own a bike to ride it and enjoy it, not to baby it in concern of resale value.
    I’m not sure how trimming 3mm off of the carbon seat mast would effect the resale value?
    When was the last time you purchased a used bike and asked the owner to remove the seat post collar to inspect the frame?
    When was the last time someone said:
    “Oh these carbon handle bars have been cut down to 780mm by a trained professional with the appropriate tools, that’s going to kill the resale value”
    I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. It's your bike, and if it improves your fit and enjoyment of it, by all means.

I do think it's reasonable to expect that something like that would be disclosed when reselling. Even if it's only 3mm, I would bet that turns off a certain number of buyers.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Recommendations for super backwoods/alpine riding within 4-6 hours of SWMT? Looking to sneak out for a short 3 or 4 day road trip next week. Obscure places, fire road truck camping, singletrack and gravel riding. Thanks.

Not obscure, but have you considered Teton Valley, Idaho?
    Well, I could certainly send you on some rides where you *might* see three or four other people in 30 miles.
    Or none.
    Last edited by rideit; 07-12-2020 at 06:15 AM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Man, if I could get a 180 crank in carbon or anything high end besides old xt id be on it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

I've never ridden anything but 175 cranks. It's a bit pricey to give another size a try and realize you don't like it. I've gotten to the point where I don't strike as often, but when I do it just feels natural now. Plus I'm always smashing my bash gard. Then again I'm not going mach looney like some of you guys probably are so the consequences are not as high for me.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Not obscure, but have you considered Teton Valley, Idaho?
    Well, I could certainly send you on some rides where you *might* see three or four other people in 30 miles.
    Or none.
    Yeah, I am just looking for any suggestions that are slightly non-zoo ish and close enough that I can head down with my cooler full and not really have to do anything but pay at the pump for gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Recommendations for super backwoods/alpine riding within 4-6 hours of SWMT? Looking to sneak out for a short 3 or 4 day road trip next week. Obscure places, fire road truck camping, singletrack and gravel riding. Thanks.
    I haven't explored it (it's on my to do list), but it sounds like there's a bunch of fun stuff around Thompson Falls. Not sure if it's been cleared yet this year.

Alpine rides in the flathead are mostly snow free. It's hit and miss on deadfall and brushiness though.

Some compiling of the science research that has been done on crank length.

https://youtu.be/Mi96XtZ1M00