Page 304 of 531 FirstFirst ... 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 ... LastLast
Results 7,576 to 7,600 of 13262

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Why would you spend $100 on levers and then fiddle around figuring out how to swap something that’s designed to not be swapped, when you can get a whole Zee/XT/SLX lever assembly for much less?
    None in stock....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 23.31.55.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	414947

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    I can't find the left lever in stock (only rights)
    Left and right are interchangeable, the only difference is the spring. If you still have your right spring, you can order a left and be good to go.

Fucking COVID.
    Maybe expand your search to Zee if you don’t mind the almost identical mismatched look.
    But still, looking forward to the TR.
    Dee, I’m confused by your interchangeable comment. Do you run the whole lever assembly upside down?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Fucking COVID.
    Maybe expand your search to Zee if you don’t mind the almost identical mismatched look.
    But still, looking forward to the TR.
    Dee, I’m confused by your interchangeable comment. Do you run the whole lever assembly upside down?

Dee is talking about the lever blade assembly, not the whole lever and master cylinder.

The original questions was about Flo Motorsports, which is a lever blade replacement for Shimano lever blades.
    The OP was going to buy these because he couldn't find a Shimano lever blade in stock.
    Shimano lever blades can be swapped left to right, just the spring inside the lever body is side specific.

You can totally do this with Hayes, fully reversible.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    I haven’t personally owned them, but worked on a bike with a set and was impressed with the build quality and lever feel.
    I had the exact same experience at the shop. They look and feel good.

This is super helpful but sadly it makes it a little harder to justify the expensive levers. Thanks for the detail and I'll report back if I pickup the Flo Levers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Left and right are interchangeable, the only difference is the spring. If you still have your right spring, you can order a left and be good to go.

Ask the experts

Full mountain biker here, no BMX background. My soon to be small 9 y/o daughter is asking for a BMX bike for pumptracks. This would be in addition to her 24” mountain bike for trail riding. Do I go 20” or something smaller like an 18”? Not sure it matters much, although there’s slim chance she might be interested in some bmx racing at a local track as well.

Edit to add I’m leaning 20” just bc 18” sounds too small as guy who’s ridden 29er’s for a decade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a small 9 y.o. you want a 16" for pump tracks and freestyle use.

Jong question, but I'm sure others would like a few tips too. Bike forums are a cluster fuck of information and this thread delivers like no other, so I'll put it here for now.

Going to build up a bike for the first time. I undestand that it's not rocket science, and I'm able to research and understand stuff the internet tells me, but I also have 10 thumbs, love procrastinating, have to watch a 10 month year old and a dog, and I can't be bothered using a lot of extra time undoing mistakes that I could have avoided easily.

AL FS frame, threaded BB, internal wiring for seatpost and brakes, AXS. Headset already installed. Tall head tube and I'd like some room for experimenting with stack, so might not need cutting the steerer just yet.

What are the classic mistakes to be avoided, and what are the best tips for making it go smoothly? Realistically this will be done in short burst of inspiration between other things on the agenda.

I believe I'm good on tools and supplies, but you don't know what you don't know.

Also; should this be a separate thread, so people can find the info easier in the future? "Build your own fucking bike"

Go to a shop and ask if they have a spare rockshox reverb internal routing tool (small red double male ended dohickey). They may have a few and sell you one cheap or free, it will save you a massive headache threading the internal hoses/housing. Install fork, headset spacers, stem and bars run 35cm of spacers and cut your steerer to that. Should be more than enough to adjust how you want, can always trim later. A pipe cutter for this works fine, but buying the $10 deburring/smoothing tool off Amazon is a good idea. Do the dropper last so you know saddle height and don’t f up the cable length. Grease everything but carbon lightly, use a torque wrench, use anti-seize on the saddle rails and any carbon bits.

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    use anti-seize on the saddle rails and any carbon bits.
    Anti-sieze is practically the opposite of carbon paste. Do you really use it on carbon bits?

Noob build up tip: if using carbon paste, use it sparingly - a little goes a long way.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Go to a shop and ask if they have a spare rockshox reverb internal routing tool (small red double male ended dohickey).
    I love using the double ender! One of my favorites.

Name:	IMG_7372.jpeg 
Views:	62 
Size:	304.7 KB 
ID:	415087

[QUOTE=Dee Hubbs;6606330]I love using the double ender! One of my favorites.

Nice.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Is there anything useful to do with a worn out tire? I've got a clapped out Ikon that I managed to wear down before slashing a sidewall. The hoarder in me wants to hang on to it for.... something. Anyone want to enable this tendency with a potential future purpose for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbest Known Time View Post
    Is there anything useful to do with a worn out tire? I've got a clapped out Ikon that I managed to wear down before slashing a sidewall. The hoarder in me wants to hang on to it for.... something. Anyone want to enable this tendency with a potential future purpose for it?
    sell it to sethschmautz for use as a chainstay protector.

Will it hold air with a tube, or is the sidewall too far gone? If it's usable with a tube, do you have a local program that helps provide bikes for commute use, or lower income, etc? Donate it for street use. This is where my worn tires go.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

yep, meant carbon paste. it was 4 am (waking up, not going to bed).
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbest Known Time View Post
    Is there anything useful to do with a worn out tire? I've got a clapped out Ikon
    Ikons are worn out when they are brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Anti-sieze is practically the opposite of carbon paste. Do you really use it on carbon bits?

Noob build up tip: if using carbon paste, use it sparingly - a little goes a long way.
    and in a pinch, whatever grease you have on hand with some climbing chalk mixed in works similarly.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Name:	IMG_7372.jpeg 
Views:	62 
Size:	304.7 KB 
ID:	415087
    am no longer using reverbs, but have several of these left. fantastic little device!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post

Nice.
    Tee hee.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    am no longer using reverbs, but have several of these left. fantastic little device!
    I used them the wrong way for long time. I'd thread one cable on, and then try to thread the second cable on while twisting the second cable. This was often difficult if one of the cables was already installed in the bike, or the new cable had a post, or brake already attached.

I one day I realized that the threads on each end have opposite threads. So you can push the tip in one cable and get it started and holding with a turn or two, and then press the other side of the cable in to get it started. Stick a 2.0mm hex key in the hole and spin the hex key. Both cables will thread onto the tool simultaneously!

I used them the wrong way for long time. I'd thread one cable on, and then try to thread the second cable on while twisting the second cable. This was often difficult if one of the cables was already installed in the bike, or the new cable had a post, or brake already attached.

I one day I realized that the threads on each end have opposite threads. So you can push the tip in one cable and get it started and holding with a turn or two, and then press the other side of the cable in to get it started. Stick a 2.0mm hex key in the hole and spin the hex key. Both cables will thread onto the tool simultaneously!
    Had the same exact experience. Lots of grumbling about how poorly designed it was until I started using it the right way and I realized I was the one who was poorly designed...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise