Page 71 of 532 FirstFirst ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 13298

Thread: Ask the experts

Isn't the obvious answer here to start using clipless pedals?! ;-)

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Isn't the obvious answer here to start using clipless pedals?! ;-)

I mostly do, but I wear through left cleats much faster than right cleats. Actually I've never checked, but this is probably true.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    I ride flats
    Found your problem.

I've been going back and forth as to whether I want to go to flats for a while. A few of my last crashes have been fast enough that I don't have the time to unclip and dump the bike.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I've been going back and forth as to whether I want to go to flats for a while. A few of my last crashes have been fast enough that I don't have the time to unclip and dump the bike.
    How much do you climb? I switched to flats this year for maximum bail-ability since I'm still recovering from a bad head injury last fall (I haven't been riding much period). The people who say they can climb just as well on flats compared to clipless are goddamn liars, don't actually climb, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The people who say they can climb just as well on flats compared to clipless are goddamn liars, don't actually climb, or both.
    I can climb better on flats than I can climb on clipless because no matter what setup I try I can't ever get out smoothly enough to have the confidence to fully commit to technical climbs on SPD's.

That said, I do wish I had the ankle coordination to ride clipless, I just don't, and also really don't mind riding in flats. I'm waiting with bated breath for a flat shoe that has the tech and fit of a good clipless shoe. I want BOA, I want fast-dry materials and more waterproofing, I want stiff soles, we'll see how these new Pearl Izumis ride whenever they come out.

What are you riding for clipless? My shimanos release instantly. I'm out of the pedal without even trying when I crash. The only time I have to think about releasing it is on an 'up'.

With that said, I obviously still release from flats milliseconds quicker.

I used to run flats for free riding 20 yars ago but have been on clipless since, i still had the shoes so I went back to flats for the mtn bike this year due to a facked knee cuz i didnt want to be connected to a bike that went one way while I my knee went another and I got used to riding them again, not as efficient but if you like flats then ride them

bailing off a skinny with flats is just that millisecond faster than clipless, the difference between landing in a heap attached to the bike and jumping off

I read an interview of a DH rider who said he picked up 10 seconds ( might be an exaggeration ) switching to clipless cuz they can't just sit on the seat they have peddle down hill to win, more DH riders are on clipless and i think more riders in general

20 yars ago junior would be on flats with skate shoes on which he didn't even tie the laces and all the kid s rode that way, now more of them are on bikes the ride as opposed to aim and more of them are on clipless
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-14-2020 at 12:42 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

That's why I ride flats. I know clips are "better," but I also know I'm an uncoordinated hack. I will gladly give up a couple seconds on Stravalol for having functional knees and ankles when I'm old(er).

Kacked the knee skiing not biking, biking has never been a problem for the knees, the surgeon had a picture of my knee up and said i had the knees of a teenager

At this point the biking has made the knee strong enough to probably go back to clipless but i am not going to change anything, hopefully get cut on next month, probably go back to flats on the mtn bike next year

I still ride clips on the touring bike & road bike
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-14-2020 at 01:24 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    What are you riding for clipless? My shimanos release instantly. I'm out of the pedal without even trying when I crash. The only time I have to think about releasing it is on an 'up'.

With that said, I obviously still release from flats milliseconds quicker.
    SPDs. I tried Crank Bros for a few days this year and liked the escape-ability way better, but then I tagged a rock and got the ejector button...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    That's why I ride flats. I know clips are "better," but I also know I'm an uncoordinated hack. I will gladly give up a couple seconds on Stravalol for having functional knees and ankles when I'm old(er).
    Flats bothered my knees more than spds or my old time pedals. No float.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Exactly. At least it was affordable! [/s]
    But they're so light it's worth it!

This is the deal for me, my knees are pretty fucked. Hard to reposition the foot too. TIME clipless, neutral float=knee friendly. Crankbros is the same but those things are death traps.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I prefer flats . Even though i dont drop a foot much , im more confident riding skinnies or jumping and definitely muddy wet roots. I guess im pretty equal in time spent between toe clips, then spds(racing for 10 years) and now flats for a few years longer than toe clips or spds. I can jump right on spds fairly seemless and even cranked i find them fairly ez to get out if. Crank bros have too much float for me. I thought they sucked for hard tech climbing , in particular getting out when you spun out or didnt quite make a lunge. Spds cranked keeps me in until i have to get out. Im definitely faster climbing on clips, or when im bonked, but i couldnt less care about xc speed. I find flats more fun

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I haven't spent much time on my flats, but I did notice that right away. Pins are super grippy! Took a few to figure out the unweighting thing to move around, but I'm not real comfortable doing it. I haven't tried adjusting the pins, but obviously there is give and take doing that.

I really have found I enjoy both clipped and flats for different situations.

Maybe mtn biking is just fun no matter what?

being a noob I have liked the clips as it’s helped me learn how to really drop my heels when going downhill, though they have taken their toll in skin and ego when I forget that my feet are attached

So I’ve gone out and made a unadvised purchase for the wife.

This is originally a 27.5+ bike but the previous owner upgraded to some nice DT Swiss XM 421 with 350 hubs in 29 inch. Problem is there is very little clearance for tires up front. Currently has maxxis rekon 2.25 tire. Are there tires out there that are wide but not that tall in profile or am I looking at new fork or 27.5 wheels down road if I want to run bigger tires?

Also is a slightly bent rotor the cause of a horrible squealing vibrating rear brake? I already cleaned pads, rotor, and recentered calipers so probably the slightly bent rotor but don’t think I’ve seen this in the past.

Do I need to just throw the bike in the trash?

Danke

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1223.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	165.5 KB 
ID:	337273

Name:	IMG_1227.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	220.4 KB 
ID:	337274

Pull the pads and spin the wheel. If the sound goes away it's probably your rotor and you can salvage the bike. If the sound is still there send it to me and I'll dispose of it properly.

Does the frame have better clearance than the fork?

The frame has good clearance other than the fork brace/bridge

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post

Name:	IMG_1223.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	165.5 KB 
ID:	337273
    Make sure you let the air out of the fork, to fully compress it and make sure the steerer crown does not touch the tire. Just because the arch of the lowers clear the tire, it does not mean that the crown will not touch it.
    During the early 27.5 era a lot guys found this out the hard way.

^ good point. Seller said he confirmed with commencal it was okay clearance, but yeah probably should confirm that.

Nice little frames. I keep looking at those. Great price and the new ones have a short seat tube for really long seatpost drop , although this years and lasts werent bad at all. Still great standover. I was wondering if a 29 would fit. Sucks about the fork. Nice bike otherwise. I was thonking 27.5+ to take the rdge off on the hardtail. A good early/late season low maintenance bike on wet days. Add full fender compliments.
    If its non boost i often see dvo diamond 29er forks for a good price. Great fork

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Good point, Dee Hubs!

Klauss,

From what I can make out, looks like SRAM/AVID Guide/Elixir brakes? If so, don't count out their natural tendency to whine/squeal/turkey gobble under load. If the bike comes smoothly to a stop after all you've checked/addressed already, those are just normal behaviours for those brakes -> they complain wildly, but at the same time offer excellently-modulated stopping power.

Bonus is that a quick hit on the lever works as good as a bell when approaching others.

Good luck -> that looks like a fun ride!

Ask the experts

Thanks all. It’s boost. They are sram code or guide Rs. I have to check. The front brake is super smooth, the back brake starts vibrating bike immediately when in light use and violently if in hard use.

As I said rotor is very mildly not true.

Seller was like “never done that before, must have been from last washing.” I thought id have it working properly with a clean and sand of the pads. Bought some cheap rotors on amazon mainly due to shipping speed and will try.

re: service intervals... how often do you REALLY need to have a suspension fork serviced? I am pushing 60 hours on mine. it still feels fine, am I gonna die?

related, how long should I expect common wear parts to last, like a cassette or a chain or brakes or a BB etc? how long should tire tread last (maxxis dual compound), and so on. basically is riding my bike 6-8hours a week gonna cost me $1k/year in maintenance?