Page 27 of 531 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Anyone have experience with 9-50t spd cassettes with xx1 rear derailleurs?

My e13 9-46t finally wore out and I am toying this the idea of the big dinner plate in the back.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Sunrace-Cs...RoCF9IQAvD_BwE
    The 41t jump is bit much for sram derailleur to deal with IMO. If you are use to XX1 quality of shifting this won't be it. You will actually lose range compared to 9-46 as well.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Do you need that spread on your enduro (i'm assuming) bike?

I'm running the e13 9-46 with a 30T up front. There is only a climb or two I can think of that I wish I had a 50 in the back for.. and I NEVER use the 9 tooth. I think on the loggers road at Keystone a few runs I stood up in that gear trying to break 45 mph... that's about it.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Anybody running tubeless road tires? Worth it or meh?

Thinking about mounting some 32's on a second wheelset for the gravel bike and ditching the road bike. That setup would get used for 100% road rides and road + smooth gravel.

There seems to be much online consternation about mounting difficulties and how wide a rim can be used on road tubeless.

Yes wife bike has tubeless road. Zero issues once we went to Hutchinson Sector 700x 32 tires on Stan's grail rims. Schwalbe One tires got flats all too often.

Thanks Simple! That's probably the combo I'm going with. Heard the Schwalbe's flat easily and also the new Conti's are impossible to mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Anybody running tubeless road tires? Worth it or meh?

Thinking about mounting some 32's on a second wheelset for the gravel bike and ditching the road bike. That setup would get used for 100% road rides and road + smooth gravel.

There seems to be much online consternation about mounting difficulties and how wide a rim can be used on road tubeless.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ke-tire-thread

Read the link IME/IMO road tubeless is a whole shit sandwich of YMMV

mtn bike tires worked out that tubeless thing yars ago and so I assumed Road tubeless was also worked out to the same degree BUT actualy road tubeless is kind of where tubeless Mtn bikes tires were 15 yars ago and so I had problems that are in the thread

https://road.cc/content/feature/what...ubeless-257746

this ^^ is a good warning link that i wish I had found before i spent the $$$

if you are trying to retro fit rims you already own i would just stick with tubes,

maybe if you can buy a proven road tubeless rim/tire setup you would forgo the setup issues
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Just ordered a Ripmo V2.

Im 6’ 34” inseam +2.5 ape index

Ibis’s size chart for this bike put me right between L and XL. Im leaning towards L because it would be easier to sell if I decided to go up to XL rather than the other way around.

Mostly ride tighter NE trails with lots of rocks, roots, and punchy climbs. Closest shop to demo is 8 hours away and in a different state.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What's your current bike, and how does it feel both climbing and descending?
    I have a Ripmo 2 on order also. I'm 5'8" and ordered a medium, but "demo'd" a friends large Ripmo AF. It didn't feel absurdly long - my biggest issue was the high-ass seat being in my way. I've got stumpy legs though.

My last bike was a large Nimble9 and I felt cramped and over the bars with a high seat. But that bikes toptube is 609mm to the Ripmo’s 632. The reach is 420 compared to Ripmo’s 475.

I have a Large 2018 Karate Monkey im riding till the Ripmo shows up. Im using up almost all of the uncut steering tube to get the bars to a comfortable position. 50mm stem and riser bars. I can post a picture of it soon.

Does bike weight matter? Isn’t it such a small percentage of overall bodyweight that it’s not that big of a deal?

I can see carbon being better for stiffness, but is a kg or 2 making that big of a difference in fatigue and speed?

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    Just ordered a Ripmo V2.

Im 6’ 34” inseam +2.5 ape index

Ibis’s size chart for this bike put me right between L and XL. Im leaning towards L because it would be easier to sell if I decided to go up to XL rather than the other way around.

Mostly ride tighter NE trails with lots of rocks, roots, and punchy climbs. Closest shop to demo is 8 hours away and in a different state.

Any thoughts?
    I'm 6' w/ 34" inseam riding a large Ripmo V1. I think it fits pretty well despite my fork only having a 7" steerer tube and stubby 31mm stem. I didn't ride an xl to compare, but I haven't once said to myself 'maybe I should have gone with an XL'. It feels larger/more comfortable than my large SC Hightower V1.

Couple thoughts after my first few rides: I should have gone with ~200mm dropper. I have a 170mm and there's more than enough room. I should have kept searching for a fork with a longer steerer tube to bring the handlebars up a little. I'm still planning to switch the stem out for something around 50mm.

Im no expert but have been on an XL Ripmo AF since last fall. 6’3” with a pretty neutral ape index.

I was unable to demo but Smmokan steered me right with the XL rec. Not once have I wished i was on a large.

You do seem right between sizes. Probably comes down to personal taste.

I live in Trumbull CT and if you are in the area you are welcome to take mine for a spin.

That Don't Make No Sense

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Has anyone here ever used a 4x6 or 4x8 open box trailer to haul MTB’s? I’m talking about something with a sturdy 24” tall wood or steel gate, sidewalls etc.

Other than managing balance / tongue weight and making sure it everything is properly strapped and secured ... is there any reason I couldn’t use a tailgate pad over the front or back of the box trailer for mountain bikes? I figure, the thickness of the trailer gate’s top will be a lot narrower than a truck gate, so I could zip tie some pipe insulation foam onto the rail and then secure the tailgate pad over that.

The idea is that I’d also have other camping gear in the trailer box opposite the bikes - cooler, water, gear boxes, etc. Even with our hitch bike rack and roof cargo box I’ve been having problems loading up the car safely for the kid in back seat and dog in cargo area, so I figured a 4’ wide open box trailer is the way to go ...

Oh yeah, this would be for 1-4 hour highway drives with only the last 10 miles max on dirt/gravel roads.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4500.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	330103

Yea, it'll work
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post

Name:	DSCN4500.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	330103

Yea, it'll work
    I gotta admit... that photo makes me feel a little funny.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Does bike weight matter? Isn’t it such a small percentage of overall bodyweight that it’s not that big of a deal?

I can see carbon being better for stiffness, but is a kg or 2 making that big of a difference in fatigue and speed?
    No expert, but to me it does. Not so much in "speed" (I have no idea how fast I'm really going) but a light bike has a different feel, quicker to accelerate and easier to loft over obstacles. And if your rides involve pushing or carrying your bike you'll notice a couple pounds pretty quickly.

i'm also only 150 lbs, I'd imagine a smaller rider will notice it more than a big guy.

Thanks for all the replies about the Ibis Ripmo size. I appreciate it! Im going with the large. Unfortunately the earliest it will arrive is August due to supply chain issues. Thinking about upgrading the Sram NX and Guide brakes to Shimano SLX and brakes for $600 more.

Thanks for all the replies about the Ibis Ripmo size. I appreciate it! Im going with the large. Unfortunately the earliest it will arrive is August due to supply chain issues. Thinking about upgrading the Sram NX and Guide brakes to Shimano SLX and brakes for $600 more.

Got a 6'2" buddy who just bought a XL RipMo AF. He's already ordered Magura MT5 (or Trail, Sport, whatever) to replace the stock Guide Ts. But he loves the bike, and coming off an older Niner Ripmo, his riding has taken a leap forward. Enjoy!

Shimano Alfine 8, <500 miles of use but has been sitting for ~10 years. Thinking of getting a fresh tire and putting it on the back of my (currently) SS for some northern NM CDT riding. Can I just bolt it up and go, or has the grease solidified like an old fishing reel? If the latter, then what? ATF soak?

Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    Shimano Alfine 8, <500 miles of use but has been sitting for ~10 years. Thinking of getting a fresh tire and putting it on the back of my (currently) SS for some northern NM CDT riding. Can I just bolt it up and go, or has the grease solidified like an old fishing reel? If the latter, then what? ATF soak?
    Yes it will need to be serviced.
    There are 3 camps:
    -Some feel the ATF is not needed and it only needs to be greased. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGks14goow0)
    -Some feel that an ATF bath after greasing is necessary.
    -Shimano says every 2 years or 5000kms, only use Shimano Internal Hub Maintenance Oil.

Looks like it's an $800 difference on their website, unless your shop is hooking you up. Buy the NX kit, sell it on eBay with the brakes (you'll net about $250-300) and then buy an SLX or XT group separately. Ibis' pricing is fucked up, there's no way you're getting $800 in value over the NX kit.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Looks like it's an $800 difference on their website, unless your shop is hooking you up. Buy the NX kit, sell it on eBay with the brakes (you'll net about $250-300) and then buy an SLX or XT group separately. Ibis' pricing is fucked up, there's no way you're getting $800 in value over the NX kit.
    Thats what my original plan was until I heard it was going to take months to arrive. Im thinking I’ll dump the NX on ebay and have my shop put a new drivetrain on. Or keep the NX and have my shop build a set of wheels for it. Im pretty happy with the value I got on the build from Pro Bike Supply’s Memorial Day sale. $4150 free shipping, no tax with a Bike Yoke dropper and Ibis carbon bars.

Im on the fence about the 35i rims. Im planning on running maxxis 2.5 on front and 2.35 ish on the rear. Maybe the 28i would be better?

Yeah, 28mm will work totally fine with those tires. 35mm is overkill for anything but 2.6-2.8, IMO.

FWIW, my buddy ordered the Ripmo 2 frame the day it came out, and still doesn't have it. Latest estimate is mid-July now. Ibis' supply chain management sucks the last couple years (even discounting the current situation).

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Yes it will need to be serviced.
    There are 3 camps:
    -Some feel the ATF is not needed and it only needs to be greased. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGks14goow0)
    -Some feel that an ATF bath after greasing is necessary.
    -Shimano says every 2 years or 5000kms, only use Shimano Internal Hub Maintenance Oil.
    Thanks for that! Never had it open, so will see what it looks like and then decide on the ATF bath. Started watching that vid but quit because dude's hand keeps blocking the view of what he's doing. Strangely, I can't seem to follow any links off of the Hubstripping front page, so back to vid.

Don't hold your breath for that date. Ibis has been terrible with shipping. I went with a V1 because Ibis dealers are realistically looking at Sept/Oct for ETAs.
    Good call on the Shimano upgrade, however, who's quoting you that price? Pretty sure Shimano SLX is cheaper (as well as better) than GX/NX/Guides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Name:	IMG_3395.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	330311
    First day out on the new (to me) DH bike. It would appear oil is coming out at the banjo bolt. Anyone see that before? New o-ring? New brake hose?

However many are in a shit ton.