Page 309 of 531 FirstFirst ... 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 ... LastLast
Results 7,701 to 7,725 of 13255

Thread: Ask the experts

Fresh batch of experts coming soon:

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/05/bike...king-your-own/

Embarrassingly newb rear SLX 11 spd derailleur question - While pedaling on the highest gear (smallest cog) the chain occasionally skips back a gear and sort of bounces back and forth. How do I adjust?

Also, this time of year I'm using this Giant Trance for lots of long boring paved trail riding and I run out of high gears. Cranks have a 30t ring - am I right in thinking if I go up to 32 t I'd have a bit higher speed?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Feel free to flame away, I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but freely admit I'm basically clueless when it comes to derailleur adjustments and assume this is really simple stuff for most.

If the shifting is otherwise good the first thing to check is the limit screw. If the der is being held just a bit too inward it won't be happy to stay in the smallest cog. It's also possible your chain is too long and there is no tension on it in that gear. Obviously there are other possibilities as well.

Going to a 32 will slightly increase the gear, but IMO the loss at the other end isn't worth it if you have a lot of steep terrain. Tiny gears FTW!
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Also, this time of year I'm using this Giant Trance for lots of long boring paved trail riding and I run out of high gears. Cranks have a 30t ring - am I right in thinking if I go up to 32 t I'd have a bit higher speed?
    All of your gears will increase by 6.7%. If you're currently topping out at 24 mph, you'll be able to do 25.6 mph at the same cadence. Good if you don't use your lowest gear much. Or if you do, and you have a 11-42 cassette currently, you could switch to an 11-46 and the 32t chainring and have almost the same low gear (actually slightly lower) but the higher top gear. (You'll get a larger jump between the lowest and next-lowest cog, but there's no free lunch.)

Embarrassingly newb rear SLX 11 spd derailleur question - While pedaling on the highest gear (smallest cog) the chain occasionally skips back a gear and sort of bounces back and forth. How do I adjust?
    If the rest of the shifting works well try turning the H limit screw counter clockwise to move the derailleur out a tiny bit and get it lined up better with the highest cog

If this happens in other gears as well try loosening the cable slightly

If neither of those work venture down the rabbit hole of finicky derailleurs and check your chain length/stretch, derailleur hanger straightness, cassette wear, b gap, cable housing etc and pay attention to whether it happens in specific terrain/situations or just all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

It looks like I'll be converting '19 Bronson 650b parts to a '22 Bronson Mullet. Aside from the front wheel, will I need a new fork also? Hoping the rear shock will fit and hoping all other components will swap over.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    It looks like I'll be converting '19 Bronson 650b parts to a '22 Bronson Mullet. Aside from the front wheel, will I need a new fork also? Hoping the rear shock will fit and hoping all other components will swap over.
    You'll need a new fork. Does the new frame not come with a rear shock? If not, you'll need one - new shock is longer.

Yes on fork and wheel. Last time I warrantied a bike they sold me a shock for a pretty cheap rate.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    You'll need a new fork. Does the new frame not come with a rear shock? If not, you'll need one - new shock is longer.
    Ah, thank you. Yeah, just frame only.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Yes on fork and wheel. Last time I warrantied a bike they sold me a shock for a pretty cheap rate.
    Sounds like supply is an issue. They cannot sell any parts apparently.

Jackstraw, I got some parts you may be interested in. 230x60 Fox DPX2, Fox 36 (originally Performance, but upgraded to Grip 2, so basically Performance Elite) 170mm, with or without a Runt. Both in great condition, new seals on shock, got new ones for the fork that need to be put in. Let me know if you want to work something out.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

^right on, thank you, but looks like the sizing won't work.

climberevan, teledad and Wes - thank you kindly for the advice, it's time I finally learn this stuff.

Unless I'm missing something, it would. That's the shock size. Fork travel can be adjusted by swapping the air spring. Not sure if you have anything lined up, or looking for something in particular, or what availability is, but it's here if you think it would work for you.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

What other frames did they have as options? You could always go Hightower (29er).. They're pretty darn close
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I'm told 210 X 55 for shock. I'm at the point where I think I'm just gonna go all in a build this thing as best I can. Screw it.

Only thing SC has available was a Bronson, 5010, and a Nomad.

climberevan, teledad and Wes - thank you kindly for the advice, it's time I finally learn this stuff.
    Park Tools website and Youtube are your friend here. Suggestions here are a great place to start, but if you're chasing one thing or another sometimes best to start over adjustments from all the way out.

I'm told 210 X 55 for shock. I'm at the point where I think I'm just gonna go all in a build this thing as best I can. Screw it.

Only thing SC has available was a Bronson, 5010, and a Nomad.
    I don't have any personal experience here, but Santa Cruz's website says the current Bronson uses a 230 x 60 shock.

Ok, am I reading this email wrong from SC?

"The rear shock will likely need to be replaced as well. Spec below is for RS Super Deluxe Ultimate.

eye to eye - 210x55

rebound - L

compression - L

vol. reducer - 2.5 tokens

damper - RCT"

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    but the lever spring from the older lever ejected and got lost in my garage for about 20 minutes.

Dude I’m super impressed you managed to find a spring in only 20 minutes. Either you have a remarkably clean workshop or you got super lucky. Kudos

Will Shimano LO3A brake pads ever be back in stock anywhere?

What is a suitable substitute? (GRX calipers)

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Kool Stop organic,
    Sku 760251081523
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Or
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/glorycy...-shimano-l03a/

(Double check my google-fu before ordering)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

What hanger alignment gauge should I buy? I’m only really familiar with the Park DAG 2.2, but was never impressed with it. Not looking to waste money unnecessarily, but want a quality tool that I’ll never want to replace.

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/12/the-...tool-9-tested/

If I didn't have a perfectly functional Park I'd spring for the Abbey.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Abbey-bike-tools-HAG-derailleur-hanger-alignment-gauge-tool-cyclingtips-Dave-Rome-2-1340x754.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	416435
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.