Page 389 of 531 FirstFirst ... 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 ... LastLast
Results 9,701 to 9,725 of 13255

Thread: Ask the experts

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by alfajores View Post
    Did they blast an email? Denver shop? I only see factory seconds on the site (35% off)
    Yeah, I saw in an email. Says “outlet bikes” so I misspoke saying demos. Looks like seconds and V1 Gnarvanas.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Travel pump:
    I have a couple of international trips coming up so I'm looking for a pump that packs well but is usual for pumping MTB and Gravel tires. This does not have to live on my bike as I'll have a mini-pump, but it does need to fit in my bike bag without beating my bike to crap. I typically travel with my converted Craftsman inflator - but it's loud and for these events I want something a bit lower tech.

ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Probably a bit big for your needs but I’m thinking I’ll use my 20% member coupon on one of these, specifically for road trips. Probably just have it live in the truck from May through November.

https://www.rei.com/product/183366/b...ger-floor-pump

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Probably a bit big for your needs but I’m thinking I’ll use my 20% member coupon on one of these, specifically for road trips. Probably just have it live in the truck from May through November.

I have that pump and it’s been solid…. No issues over the last couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Good CO2 + mini pump to either put on the bottle cage mount or in the fanny pack?

Was looking for something like:
    https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Bike-Pum.../dp/B09WTY77RF
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I'm avoiding CO2 because of flying and also it seems to gum-up sealant. I'm hoping most flats I repair can be fixed with sealant + Stan's darts because I'm planning on running lightweight inserts. I will have 2 x Tubolito on the bike "just in case". (which means I'll have to finish a stage with a Tubolight bandolier)

I'll have a Lezyne HV mini on my bike.

That Lezyne travel pump looks nice. I missed it because I was looking at their bigger frame pumps. I wish there were smaller "charger" style pumps - could come in handy if I have to replace a tire.

Well the booster cylinders that don’t have integrated pumps look about half the height and 2x the diameter of a floor pump? I have never fondled one so I don’t know what the actual dimensions and weight are, and Trek, Topeak, Schwalbe don’t seem to have dimensions and weight specs listed on their product pages (annoying). I see no reason this would not work with a small pump, just may take an annoying amount of time to get to a reasonable charge pressure.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

It’s funny, I also own a high pressure Crossman pump that I bought for flying with my WARI avalanche cylinder (I’m still using an old Mystery Ranch Avy pack, too bad WARI went out of business). I wonder if I could just make an adapter and use that for my bike travel setup, since I rarely fly to tour these days and the equipment sits in my crawl space collecting dust.

Of course, I would need to be careful to not even approach the 3000 psi cylinder capacity, that would probably explode even a Maxxis DH tire

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    And if that's too big, the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive Digital HVG is a super option. I have one of these that goes in my apparel bag, so it's always available.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BDFF0659-A571-49A6-A446-1173AC8A744C.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	452100

What’s a good/cheap source for bulk 25g CO2 cartridges?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    What’s a good/cheap source for bulk 25g CO2 cartridges?
    I just order off amazon.

Also, the good mini pump with co2 compatibility was for me.. sorry, didn't mean to gum the recs for the travel stuff.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    And if that's too big, the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive Digital HVG is a super option. I have one of these that goes in my apparel bag, so it's always available.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BDFF0659-A571-49A6-A446-1173AC8A744C.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	452100
    I keep one of those in my truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Those MFDs are really excellent. 110psi is no prob for the skinny ones, and the HV ones are faster than you'd think. If Xtra is just topping off pressure rather than going from zero regularly it would be perfect.

Those Lezynes can capture the valve core and some people hate them with a passion because of it, but as long as you don't screw it on super tight it's not a problem IME.

Anyone here using an upright bike carrier with aero crossbars? Curious if you noticed a fair amount of flex in the crossbars, and whether you were comfortable with it.

I already had several Thule Sidearm bike racks, so thought I'd mount up two on a Rhino Rack vortex bar rack that I installed over the truck bed on my Ridgeline. The leverage of the Thule rack with a mounted causes the crossbar to flex quite a bit. Not sure I trust it. FWIW they're longer crossbars, 65", which isn't helping any for the flex issue.

I have a hitch rack too, but since I already had the Thule Sidearm racks, thought I'd go ahead and use them too. Having racks ready to go is convenient.

Pic attached of my test fit today.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Those MFDs are really excellent. 110psi is no prob for the skinny ones, and the HV ones are faster than you'd think. If Xtra is just topping off pressure rather than going from zero regularly it would be perfect.
    Why would you ever need a pump to go to 110psi?

Using the the SRAM/TyreWiz App I need to input a 300lb rider on a 25lb bike using 700c 21mm tires to get a pressure rating of Rear tire at 110psi.

Using Silcas Tire Pressure Calculator I need to input 235lbs, worn pavement, 700c 23mm, high performance tubeless tire, at Cat 1 speeds to get a recommended 110psi.

Nobody here is riding 19c tires on indoor wooden Velodromes for +100psi.

I have a buddy who I can’t convince to lower his road bike pressure below 100. I often offer to load his bike on bike rack, where I let out 20psi without him knowing. He thinks his tires leak 20-25psi between rides, it’s usually because I lowered them to 80psi.

That doesn't seem right. I think a 200lb dude on 23s or even 25s probably needs to be north of 100, especially with tubes. On tubeless 25s at 160-165s I still will sometimes be approaching 90 in the rear depending on the ride/conditions. Usually low 80s though.

Anyway yeah I got one of those lezynes for a trip last year when I flew with my bike and it worked great. The thread on chucks do have a little pressure relief valve you can tap to take the tension off the valve core threads as well which helps prevent it from unscrewing it. I also always try to have a little valve core tool with me and make sure they're snug.

I do prefer regular chucks though. For some reason I bought a lezyne floor pump last year, and the thread on ones are just more annoying to use. So I bought a silca hiro chuck, which I think cost as much as the whole pump. That one's pretty good, prob should have just got a silca pump to begin with though.

. He thinks his tires leak 20-25psi between rides, it’s usually because I lowered them to 80psi.
    “Quietly doing the Lord’s work”
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Using the the SRAM/TyreWiz App I need to input a 300lb rider on a 25lb bike using 700c 21mm tires to get a pressure rating of Rear tire at 110psi.

Using Silcas Tire Pressure Calculator I need to input 235lbs, worn pavement, 700c 23mm, high performance tubeless tire, at Cat 1 speeds to get a recommended 110psi.

Nobody here is riding 19c tires on indoor wooden Velodromes for +100psi.

I have a buddy who I can’t convince to lower his road bike pressure below 100. I often offer to load his bike on bike rack, where I let out 20psi without him knowing. He thinks his tires leak 20-25psi between rides, it’s usually because I lowered them to 80psi.
    This doesn’t pass the sniff test for me either. When I used to (horribly and slowly) road race, I found I preferred training rides around 110 +/- 5 psi on 23c and a riding weight of 135 lbs soaking wet …. Anything less seemed like a recipe for broken glass splinters sticking to the tire and working their way into the carcass.
    But I seem to remember I preferred racing at like 125 psi because the rolling resistance was so good even though every little pebble went right into my ass (especially on those straight seat stays on the CAAD3 before Cannondale wishboned them).

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post

Boo, they blew through their inventory on the first day of the Member sale ... before I was able to get an order in lol.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

There is a whole wide world out there beyond bicycles, folks, despite our obsessions.

The inner liner of the Tubliss dirbike (motorcycle) system must be pumped to 100-110psi to seal against the tire. I carry one of the MFDs with me when I ride motos and use it for that as well as the tire itself, which only gets pumped to 5-8psi.

I also used to pump my road tires (20mm tubulars for racing--remember those days?) to like 120psi. That was way before we all (except for DH's buddy, I guess) learned that "feeling faster" doesn't mean actually rolling faster. Now I run 70-75psi in 25mm clinchers (tubed).

The high pressures only feel faster…. It’s psychosomatic

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

New bike has Sram Code RS brakes. I did a bleed then pushed the pads out a bit to quicken bite point. I haven’t ridden them after this adjustment yet (I’m a gimp and to much snow), but is this going to be a never ending battle to get these brakes to feel right or should I pony up for RSC levers? Doesn’t seem like I’d be gaining anything but a quick way to adjust bite point though from what I’ve read. I’m sure a few of you have time on both the RS and RSC. Leave alone and give them time, upgrade the lever, or pull the brakes and get anything else…

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    New bike has Sram Code RS brakes. I did a bleed then pushed the pads out a bit to quicken bite point. I haven’t ridden them after this adjustment yet (I’m a gimp and to much snow), but is this going to be a never ending battle to get these brakes to feel right or should I pony up for RSC levers? Doesn’t seem like I’d be gaining anything but a quick way to adjust bite point though from what I’ve read. I’m sure a few of you have time on both the RS and RSC. Leave alone and give them time, upgrade the lever, or pull the brakes and get anything else…

If I remember correctly, the RSC's can make the bite point later / closer to the bar, but not quicker. So if you can't get the bite point quick enough for your liking, I don't think the rsc's will fix that.

It's been a while since I've had any (guide) RS's, but I remember being ok with them (as someone who prefers a quicker, further out bite point).

Also, just verifying: you have code RS's, not G2 RS's? I only ask because Code RS's are a fairly rare oem only thing whereas G2 RS's are pretty common, and should probably be swapped for something more powerful.