Page 123 of 533 FirstFirst ... 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 13303

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Tandem is barely under 9' long, ceiling is 9'. I thought about a hook or wheel holder style. I need to see how hard it would be to stand on rear wheel and hang. I think that if I voile strap the front wheel to the downtube, it would stay steady while I use the stoker handlebar to maneuver.
    I've seen it done with a hook on a rope, run through a pulley on the ceiling. Put the hook on the front wheel, pull a rope to raise the front end, tie rope off once bike is vertical. Usually there's a tray of some sort on the wall to keep the bike situated once it's dangling.

^^^exactly what I was going to say. Or, hook the rear wheel, (are you strong like bull?), pulls up the front w/rope.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Your ideas made me just think of hanging by rear wheel with the front removed. I had also considered the Steady rack. I like how it could pivot slightly out of the way.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Alpinevibes, that vertical pivot floor rack is a good option. Wonder if it would balance a tandem? I like how I could move it around the garage as needed during change of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    What’s wrong with the standard horizontal wall hanging hooks? Assuming you have a traditional top tube on the tandem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was thinking this as well. To match the Feedback Sports racks I currently use. It would help my "matchy-matchy" ocd. Just takes up more wall space.

I hang our tandem from the garage ceiling by two vinyl hooks. This, however, is not the recommended way to store it. The recommended way to store it is to have someone on pinkbike or craigslist come to your house, take the tandem, give you cash, and then you NEVER HAVE TO SEE IT AGAIN.

As soon as I can convince my lovely wife that this storage method is the best option I will be implementing it. So far she has not budged in 15+ years.

Hey, totally unrelated...anybody wanna store a Santana road tandem for me?

I was thinking this as well. To match the Feedback Sports racks I currently use. It would help my "matchy-matchy" ocd. Just takes up more wall space.

How the F are those bikes and that room so clean. You must have a dental assistant working for you

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I was totally kidding about the ceiling hook. But you be you.
    That back wheel wheelie rack thing looks amazing though. As long as you can control the descent and not turn it into Thor’s Hammer every time it comes down.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Nobody's suggested putting it on the trainer?

Alpinevibes, that vertical pivot floor rack is a good option. Wonder if it would balance a tandem? I like how I could move it around the garage as needed during change of seasons.

You could lean it with the handlebars stabilizing against the wall like this:

Name:  719Sp54hWrL._SL256_.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  9.5 KB

I'm with EWG's master plan

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I hang our tandem from the garage ceiling by two vinyl hooks. This, however, is not the recommended way to store it. The recommended way to store it is to have someone on pinkbike or craigslist come to your house, take the tandem, give you cash, and then you NEVER HAVE TO SEE IT AGAIN.

As soon as I can convince my lovely wife that this storage method is the best option I will be implementing it. So far she has not budged in 15+ years.

Hey, totally unrelated...anybody wanna store a Santana road tandem for me?
    Haha we had a sweet old Schwinn tandem and got to that point- it took up too much space in the garage for the 1 x a yr we’d ride it out to dinner and sold it.
    We ran into the guy that bought it and I guess he and his girlfriend broke up right after purchasing so he took it solo downhilling at big sky
    I never got to ask him how he got it on the lift
    skid luxury

At the shop I always called them ‘Divorcycles’.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    At the shop I always called them ‘Divorcycles’.
    For sure for the actual nice tandem bikes ie EWG’s. Ours was more for rolling to kickball or dinner in town for the fun hoots we’d get
    But yeah- when I was a river guide I did my best to never allow 2 adults to use a tandem kayak either. Ok for a kid and parent etc but 2 adults would always end up not having as good of time

How about the petervary’s that did the Iditarod race on a tandem. Way to make it even more tortuous lol
    skid luxury

They thrive under all sorts of pressure. I bet that added some.
    They did the CDT race with it as well.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Hanging a bike with a front suspension fork (manitou exvert super ) by the front wheeel I had fork oil leak out the top of the fork, any body ever had the same problem ?

Since then I have always hung bikes with front suspension forks by the back wheel so the lowest part of the bike is the bottom of the front fork
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    manitou exvert super
    I found the problem.

Hanging by the front wheel is fine if your fork is from this century and not exploded

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Hanging a bike with a front suspension fork (manitou exvert super ) by the front wheeel I had fork oil leak out the top of the fork, any body ever had the same problem ?

Since then I have always hung bikes with front suspension forks by the back wheel so the lowest part of the bike is the bottom of the front fork
    I fixed it with some aquaseal

I think Xvert-super might have just made it into this century ,I didnt do anything to fix it just hang from the rear wheel, it was a good xc fork in good shape and I put it back on a bike recently

It needs new dust wipers.
    Just sayin’

However many are in a shit ton.

My wife just got a new Ripmo AF. In a fit of stupidity I used a drill to zip the rotor bolts onto the front wheel and managed to strip a few I think I got fooled by the amount of resistance from the Locktite and just wasn't thinking. I would assume I'm looking at a new hub and paying a real bike mechanic to relace the wheel? Any other thoughts? I assume Ibis uses the cheapo Novatec hubs?

Dumb of me but I think that is my first expensive DIY fuckup at least?

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    It needs new dust wipers.
    Just sayin’

maybe but the oil leaked out the top of the fork leg not past the seals and the fork never leaks oil otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    My wife just got a new Ripmo AF. In a fit of stupidity I used a drill to zip the rotor bolts onto the front wheel and managed to strip a few I think I got fooled by the amount of resistance from the Locktite and just wasn't thinking. I would assume I'm looking at a new hub and paying a real bike mechanic to relace the wheel? Any other thoughts? I assume Ibis uses the cheapo Novatec hubs?

Dumb of me but I think that is my first expensive DIY fuckup at least?
    Turn the clutch down next time.

You can helicoil those.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Turn the clutch down next time.

You can helicoil those.
    Clutch, what clutch? I'll just be gentle with the trigger and shouldn't have a problem....right?

Helicoil kits are way cheaper than I realized and I guess I can't fuck this up any worse than it already is. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    But yeah- when I was a river guide I did my best to never allow 2 adults to use a tandem kayak either. Ok for a kid and parent etc but 2 adults would always end up not having as good of time
    Raft/Kayak guide here also. I remember two tandem IK trips - maybe the only two I ever guided. The first ended in broken ribs because the two couldn't agree how/when to paddle and went over a shallow pourover sideways. The second was a man and his fiancé. Super strong upstream wind with a 3 mile, flat approach to the rapids. Brutal. The man's father eventually traded him spots to stop the arguing. May have saved the marriage...

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk