Page 310 of 530 FirstFirst ... 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 ... LastLast
Results 7,726 to 7,750 of 13244

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Will Shimano LO3A brake pads ever be back in stock anywhere?
    What is a suitable substitute? (GRX calipers)
    Shimano's offerings are:
    L03A = Resin with fins
    L02A = Resin with Fins (replaced by L03A for better braking, quiet, and better wear)
    L04C = Metal with fins

K03S = Resin with no fins
    K02S = Resin with no fins (replaced by K03S for better braking, quiet, and better wear)
    K03Ti = Resin with no fins (Ti plate for weight savings)
    K02Ti = Resin with no fins (replaced by K03Ti for better braking, quiet, and better wear)
    K04S = Metal with no fins
    K04Ti = Metal with no fins (Ti plate for weight savings)

A few other options with fins:
    SwissStop EXOTherm2 Disc Brake Pad Set, Disc 34: Shimano Road "L" Shape
    Jagwire Elite Cooling Disc Brake Pad fits Shimano Dura Ace R9170, Ultegra R8070, 105 R7070, GRX RX810
    Kool-Stop Shimano Disc Brake Pads for Direct Mount - Cooling Aluminum, Compatible with BR-R9170, BR-R8070, BR-R7070, BR-RS505/805
    Kool-Stop Shimano Direct Mount BR-8070/BR-RS505/805 Disc Brake Pads - Sintered

A few options without fins:
    Galfer -Shimano 105 BR-R7070/BR-RS305/405/505/805,/Dura Ace/GRX/Ultegra/XTR BR-M9100 Disc Brake Pads - Standard Compound
    Galfer -Shimano 105 BR-R7070/BR-RS305/405/505/805,/Dura Ace/GRX/Ultegra/XTR BR-M9100 Disc Brake Pads - Road Compound
    Jagwire Pro Extreme Sintered Disc Brake Pads - For Shimano Dura-Ace 9170 and Ultegra R8070
    Jagwire Sport Organic Disc Brake Pads - For Shimano Dura-Ace 9170 and Ultegra R8070
    Jagwire Pro Semi-Metallic Disc Brake Pads - For Shimano Dura-Ace 9170 and Ultegra R8070
    Kool-Stop Shimano Disc Brake Pads for Direct Mount - Sintered, Compatible with BR-R9170, BR-R8070, BR-R7070, BR-RS505/805
    Kool-Stop Disc Brake Pads for Shimano - Organic Compound
    SwissStop RS Organic Compound Disc Brake Pad Set, Disc 34: Shimano Road "K" Shape
    SwissStop E Compound Disc Brake Pad Set, Disc 34: Shimano Road "L" Shape

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Will Shimano LO3A brake pads ever be back in stock anywhere?

What is a suitable substitute? (GRX calipers)

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I've got a couple of pairs of lightly used L04Cs that I'm never going to use if you're in a pinch.

Looking to switch to a tire insert on my rear tire. Currently running a DD Aggressor and pretty happy but I was getting really nervous bombing chunk this weekend in Moab so I think I want a tire insert. I am 225lbs so durability is a concern.

2 Questions

1. Who has opinions about just running EXO protection with a Tannus Tubeless insert at my weight?
    2. Dissector vs Aggressor for CO Front Range trails? I am running a Specialized Eliminator on a Ripley AF and think its a nice tire, seems to look like a dissector.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtlange View Post
    1. Who has opinions about just running EXO protection with a Tannus Tubeless insert at my weight?
    I weigh a good bit less than you, but I find that, even with an insert, I still have to run pretty high pressures in an EXO tire to keep the tire from feeling squirmy in hard corners. I can run a little less pressure than I would without an insert, but still pretty high. Without insert I'd be at 32-ish psi, with insert I'd be at 29-ish psi. For a smidge more weight and better durability, I can run a DH casing without insert at 24 psi.

2. Dissector vs Aggressor for CO Front Range trails? I am running a Specialized Eliminator on a Ripley AF and think its a nice tire, seems to look like a dissector.
    I just picked up a dissector to replace my aggressor for CO riding so I had the same dilemma. Mainly just wanted to try something new and get a little more grip without going fully back to a DHR. I didn’t find the aggressor actually rolled faster and the grip was never there for me, so I’m curious how the dissector feels
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

I'm an ex-mountain biker turned gravel racing nerd who now needs a mountain bike to get out with my NICA racing kid. If I was actually gonna ride this thing/had a dental practice I'd snag a Spur, but I'd like to spend very little $ on a bike that's gonna see some mellow XC riding + maybe a White Rim at some point. Since the used market is tough right now I'm thinking I should go new in the ~$3k range. YT Izzo, and Canyon Spectral 125 AL are on my list, but the only thing I can buy today is a Scott Spark. Not sure if the hidden shock is dumb or not. Anything else I should be looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    I'm an ex-mountain biker turned gravel racing nerd who now needs a mountain bike to get out with my NICA racing kid. If I was actually gonna ride this thing/had a dental practice I'd snag a Spur, but I'd like to spend very little $ on a bike that's gonna see some mellow XC riding + maybe a White Rim at some point. Since the used market is tough right now I'm thinking I should go new in the ~$3k range. YT Izzo, and Canyon Spectral 125 AL are on my list, but the only thing I can buy today is a Scott Spark. Not sure if the hidden shock is dumb or not. Anything else I should be looking for?
    Specialized epic Evo is what I’m trying to find in this niche, but hit or miss on finding new and the used market is wack except for a couple that have been tempting.

No idea what's actually available, but here are some bikes that more or less fit in that category. Some of these are more compelling options than others, so you'll have to weigh awesomeness vs. get-ability.

Specialized Epic / Epic Evo
    Trek Top Fuel
    Giant Anthem
    Fezzari Cascade Peak
    Salsa Horsethief
    Devinci Marshall
    Norco Fluid

Good add on the Epci Evo. Wish I was a large - they have one in stock online.

And thanks toast - def a few in there I haven't checked out yet.

Would throw new Rocky Element on that list as well, if you can find one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking to switch to a tire insert on my rear tire. Currently running a DD Aggressor and pretty happy but I was getting really nervous bombing chunk this weekend in Moab so I think I want a tire insert. I am 225lbs so durability is a concern.

2 Questions

No experience with your trail conditions, but have played around with a handful of inserts on lighter casing tires at lighter weight (aiming for sidewall stability & rim protection). The short of it would be that if you're serious about protecting rims, I don't think you can drop your pressure more than maybe 1 psi. I am running EXO+ (old style) with a Tubolight HD insert at very low pressures, but it's for sidewall stability since my local trails aren't rocky. When I go ride somewhere rocky, I wouldn't run anything lighter than DD in the rear, probably with my same insert for piece of mind. I haven't tried DH casing yet, but it's on my list to do this summer.

I personally hate the Aggressor (felt that it doesn't roll that much faster than DHR but brakes and corners far worse). The Dissector does roll much faster than a DHR and still corners ok, but it wears out very very quickly. I start seeing significant wear on a DD MG Dissector in like 9 rides on hardpack. I'd guess rock would just eat up the braking edges and side knobs. I briefly tried an Eliminator T7/T9 and really liked it - it felt like a good midpoint between Dissector and DHR. If I wasn't shallow and cared about running matched tires, I'd run it on the rear. (Don't like the Butcher up front vs. an Assegai, so that's my matchy-matchy hangup. When they finally release the Cannibal, I'll try that with Eliminator.)

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Would throw new Rocky Element on that list as well, if you can find one.

A nice one popped up on pink bike that’s at a shop in Idaho Falls. I think a ‘22 with XT…Large though, I believe.

Ask the experts

Hey bike nerds

What kind of tool do i need to remove this? On a used bike I bought Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1652733240.778378.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	416583

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3693.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	253.3 KB 
ID:	416584
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

So - just a regular old quick release dropout. Is that just a fancy QR adjustment nut with the lever on the wrong side? What's on the other side?

I don't recognize it tho - I was wondering if it's for a trainer mount or a baby hitch or some shit I don't use.

In the absence of the correct tool, A adjustable pin spanner should get enough grip to turn it. Or vice grips .

Edit: does the red end push in?

Ask the experts

It’s some kind of a anti theft nut. No brand name on it. No levers.

This is the other side:

Name:	Image1652735868.959429.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	792.6 KB 
ID:	416588

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    It’s some kind of a anti theft nut. No brand name on it. No levers.

This is the other side:

Name:	Image1652735868.959429.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	792.6 KB 
ID:	416588
    K. Now I'm in the right ballpark.

Looks like many of these skewers have some sort of tool like these pin type hex (some push in center some need the hole relief):

https://www.halowheels.com/shop/comp...-theft-skewer/

https://velo-orange.com/products/vo-anti-theft-skewers

https://hexlox.com/pages/single-hexl...r-single-parts

https://www.teknistore.com/en/bike-t...k-release.html

And enough Alibabba type junk that pliers etc might defeat them:

https://thechainlink.org/forum/topic...490:Topic:7586

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Hey bike nerds

What kind of tool do i need to remove this? On a used bike I bought Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1652733240.778378.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	416583

Name:	IMG_3693.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	253.3 KB 
ID:	416584

Name:	47BB87F5-509D-41EC-80AB-A676D2BF2677.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	416608
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

They beat you to that over in the padded room

I’ve scoured a decent amount of the interwebs and can’t find an answer to this.

I want to get my old 2007 Kona Coiler rideable again. The fork is acting kind of funky, it’s a Marz Dropoff 4.

Anyone happen to remember what PSI these things took? IIRC the last time I touched it it was only taking a small amount of pressure and would be stiff as hell around 20-30psi, which seemed super low but don’t know if older forks were built to run at low pressures.

Use a punch at the 10 o clock position and smack it with a hammer

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I’ve scoured a decent amount of the interwebs and can’t find an answer to this.

I want to get my old 2007 Kona Coiler rideable again. The fork is acting kind of funky, it’s a Marz Dropoff 4.

Anyone happen to remember what PSI these things took? IIRC the last time I touched it it was only taking a small amount of pressure and would be stiff as hell around 20-30psi, which seemed super low but don’t know if older forks were built to run at low pressures.

Weren't those things coil with just an air "preload"? I think the main spring is a coil and you can add a little air to increase ramp / stiffen the fork. No idea on pressure range, but a lot of forks like that ran pretty low air pressure. Like 10 psi or so.

But I might be remembering wrong - you could pop the top cap off and see if there's a spring in there.

Best tailgate pad to go over the weird shaped F 150 tailgate? Just got a pickup to haul the new camper… ‘cause why not

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Best tailgate pad to go over the weird shaped F 150 tailgate? Just got a pickup to haul the new camper… ‘cause why not

I can tell you from personal experience that the Race Face tailgate pad fits very badly on a '22 F-150.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post

Dakine makes a curved one specifically for it and others like it. Have used mine extensively over past year with multiple bikes pretty frequently

Edit to add link: https://www.dakine.com/products/pick...29226882170960

Last edited by VTskibum; 05-17-2022 at 06:16 AM.

In addition to all the other suggestions, take a look at direct to consumer bikes like Polygon and/or whatever ChainReactionCycles sells: Nukeproof, Vitus, etc.