Page 101 of 533 FirstFirst ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 13303

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Nice one!! Was that a rock? Cant say ive seen something quite like that. Definitely qasnt shoe rub

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Sadly I was JRA..... then I wasn't.

Shimano Alfine is my best bet for a single speed FS chain tensioner, right?

I know, there's that euro one all the pro freerider guys are using, but I am not spending more than the price of a Zee derailleur to not have any gears.

Winter project bike involves irresponsible decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    Shimano Alfine is my best bet for a single speed FS chain tensioner, right?

I know, there's that euro one all the pro freerider guys are using, but I am not spending more than the price of a Zee derailleur to not have any gears.

Winter project bike involves irresponsible decisions.
    Isn't the Alfine an internally geared hub? Not sure how that addresses the chain tension issue.

Otherwise, for a FS chain tensioner, I think you need a spring loaded one to deal with the chain growth - like a Surly Singleator.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Isn't the Alfine an internally geared hub? Not sure how that addresses the chain tension issue.

Otherwise, for a FS chain tensioner, I think you need a spring loaded one to deal with the chain growth - like a Surly Singleator.
    Dumb question, but cant you just slap on an old shitty derraileur, and tension it to align with your one sprocket?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post

They make an alfine chain tensioner so you can run an alfine hub on a full suspension bike.

No idea if the chain tensioner is any good or not though.

Yeah.

Shoulda been more clear, There's an Alfine spring loaded tensioner that according to PB forums circa 2014 is the cleanest way to account for chain growth.

I totally could go with a shitty derailleur and do the reverse tension (cable stop in the entrance hole) move, but for the price I might as well go with Alfine...unless someone here tells me not to.

Also just sorta tempted to have a machinist buddy whip out something that holds two jockey wheels and a spring. It's all pretty basic, seems like I could make one myself with some aluminum stock and a drill press.

Or even...bad idea alert, take apart my fucked up GX Eagle derrailleur and make one with a clutch....

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    Or even...bad idea alert, take apart my fucked up GX Eagle derrailleur and make one with a clutch....
    This gets my vote. Free, prevents landfill waste, and will likely be easier work on the bike because of that clutch.

Or get your machinist friend to make you a iscg mounted tensioner that tucks neatly right behind the crank (like how zerode does it), and that way you avoid having a bunch of bullshit hanging off your axle waiting to catch a rock.

Cy, I'm sure I have an ancient but not terribly borked derailleur in the parts bin somewhere I can send you.

I think the hanger on my hardtail is bent as I can't get it to shift well over more than a few gear. Going to buy a tool to align it, anyone have experience with the unior one? looks like a solid upgrade from the park but still a lot cheaper than the abbey and will work with 20" wheels for my cargo bike and when my son moves up soon.
    https://uniorusa.com/products/hanger...34378811506732

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I think the hanger on my hardtail is bent as I can't get it to shift well over more than a few gear. Going to buy a tool to align it, anyone have experience with the unior one? looks like a solid upgrade from the park but still a lot cheaper than the abbey and will work with 20" wheels for my cargo bike and when my son moves up soon.
    https://uniorusa.com/products/hanger...34378811506732
    Any of the tools will be fine.
    It’s not like you’re going to use it daily, like in a shop.
    I’ve used the Abby, Unior, Park Tool and one other generic I can’t remember the name of.
    That’s the order I’d rank them, but they are all decent.
    There are a bunch of Abby knockoffs on eBay/Amazon for $30 that I’d buy to save over $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Any of the tools will be fine.
    It’s not like you’re going to use it daily, like in a shop.
    I’ve used the Abby, Unior, Park Tool and one other generic I can’t remember the name of.
    That’s the order I’d rank them, but they are all decent.
    There are a bunch of Abby knockoffs on eBay/Amazon for $30 that I’d buy to save over $100.
    DH, would you mind linking to one of those options? Sounds like it would fit into my budget.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

- Park tool knock off
    - Abby like knock off
    - another Abby type knockoff.
    I have zero experience with these, but for using 4-5 times a year I don't feel you need to buy a professional grade tool.

this looks like a solid park knockoff for a bit cheaper. I thick I am going to buy it and if it sucks I can use it once and return. I like the looks on the unior but I am also a cheap ass.

https://www.amazon.com/CycloSpirit-D...s%2C161&sr=8-3

Ask the experts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4103.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	334.5 KB 
ID:	343110
    Kinda bummed about this happening.

Edit to add: I quite dislike my Park DAG tool. The tolerances are shit, so it leaves me feeling like I made a big problem a smaller problem that I never actually fixed. It’s also clumsy to use and takes up way too much space in my tool drawer.
    /rant
    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Edit to add: I quite dislike my Park DAG tool. The tolerances are shit, so it leaves me feeling like I made a big problem a smaller problem that I never actually fixed. It’s also clumsy to use and takes up way too much space in my tool drawer.
    /rant
    A hanger does not need to be aligned within fractions of a mm. The feller gauge on Park Tool DAG needs within 4mm of the rim in both the horizontal and vertical plane to ensure the derailleur hanger is straight. There is maybe 1mm of tolerance slop when screwed into the hanger.

I liked using that park tool when I had acess to one cuz a straight hanger is pretty much a slam dunk in one go while eyeballing it from back behind the bike/ forming might take a couple of trys which requires removing the der, but however you go about the adjustment if you got it straight its straight and you won't even have to adj the cable
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    There is maybe 1mm of tolerance slop when screwed into the hanger.
    Maybe I got a bad one? It’s got a lot of wiggle.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

I bought the cyclospirit park knock-off. it worked well enough to fix my problem. I will likely replace the pin with a long bolt/thread rod and a nut so I can get more repeatable measurements but it is good enough for home use.

What are the odds that the new e13 Helix cassettes won't have major issues? They look pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    What are the odds that the new e13 Helix cassettes won't have major issues? They look pretty sweet.
    The TSR+s I ran were good for 250 miles and 650 miles..... I hope the new ones last longer.. they are pimp looking though. Sounds like the processing of adding the color should make those dinner plates last a little longer.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Kinda bummed about this happening.

/rant
    Sent from my iPhone Forums[/url]
    I took me 2-3 times looking at that to see you snapped that linkage. what bike is that?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

I've got $5 on brutal creaking and another $3 on substantial damage to freehub body.

70-30 in favor of having issues.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I've got $5 on brutal creaking and another $3 on substantial damage to freehub body.
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    70-30 in favor of having issues.
    But... the blingz
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com