Page 19 of 532 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Having trouble with my non-drive side xtr trail pedal (9120). Feels as if it’s all of the sudden developed more float, my heel can move all over the place. No issue with the drive side. checked the spindle crank interface seems tight. As does the cleat tightness into the shoe (giro chamber 2). So thoughts are:
    is the cleat itself fouled?
    the pedal?
    something in the interface mechanism?

weirdly turning up the “din” yesterday seemed to make it worse (99.9%) positive I turned it up not down.

anyways...
    Can you feel the excess float while standing still? (just wiggling your foot around, not necessarily pedaling) If so, does that pedal still feel sloppy if you click in the other shoe?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Pics :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BD837635-47BE-42F8-9779-6BBF416CCF3F.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	638.5 KB 
ID:	326249

Still feel it when standing still, feels appropriately snug when in the other pedal on drive side,

So I guess that means something in the pedal?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

The ‘din’ is righty-tighty, lefty-loosy, if that helps!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Having trouble with my non-drive side xtr trail pedal (9120). Feels as if it’s all of the sudden developed more float, my heel can move all over the place. No issue with the drive side. checked the spindle crank interface seems tight. As does the cleat tightness into the shoe (giro chamber 2). So thoughts are:
    is the cleat itself fouled?
    the pedal?
    something in the interface mechanism?

weirdly turning up the “din” yesterday seemed to make it worse (99.9%) positive I turned it up not down.

anyways...
    have you tried swapping the shoe in the pedal ? even tho you can't ride it with the shoe in the wrong peddle you could still click in to see how it feels ?

which would tell you if its cleat or peddle

I set SPD tension by backing the screw out til there is no clicking and then screwing it in while counting the clicks, a pedal with less clicks does not change the float IME

I've helped a number of people get on to SPD's usually I start them at 3 clicks until they get the hang of it and then turn the pedal up a little to maybe 5 or 6
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yeah that cleat is barely used. Check to see if everything is tight. I've have lots of bearings go to shit on SPD but it shows as visible play in the pedal just touching it.

Messed around with it, backed off the din and re-upped it, seems to be better now, will mess around with it next chance i get out on the trail. Thanks all

One more question, knowing full well I’m being an annoying a-hole:

Have a dhx2 on the bike, SLS spring, have it all setup precisely to the fox instructions, tightened preload collar until it just fully contacts spring, then added a full turn or so to set preload for sag. Seems like I can’t quite get the spring snug on the shock body, even adding up to another full turn (max reccomended) it still moves around ever so slightly when I bob on it, and seems like that’s making it a little noisier than it should be when riding. When I cycle it thru the travel, you hear an ever so slight thunking from said movement- is this just part of variable tolerances in spring production? Am i missing something on how the spring should be sitting around the body?

It goes preload collar, spring, retaining insert, c clip

Per fox, its the right shock stroke length, diameter, etc etc.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Take a photo of how you've got it installed. First time I did it, I had the C-clip or retaining clip on backwards somehow and it was moving around. Only thunk you should hear is at bottom out, when the shock body hits the rubber bottom-out bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Take a photo of how you've got it installed. First time I did it, I had the C-clip or retaining clip on backwards somehow and it was moving around. Only thunk you should hear is at bottom out, when the shock body hits the rubber bottom-out bumper.
    Interesting, will follow up with pic in the morning.

fuck that noise.

gmen.

All the clips are installed in the correct direction. Hmmm

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Pics :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BD837635-47BE-42F8-9779-6BBF416CCF3F.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	638.5 KB 
ID:	326249

Still feel it when standing still, feels appropriately snug when in the other pedal on drive side,

So I guess that means something in the pedal?
    Cleat wear is on the other side of the cleat, look at it from the back of the shoe you will see wear where it releases. Your pic does look a little asymmetrical at the toe end of the cleat. That is one of the places mine always wear, but i can't really tell if that is actually wear, or just lighting. But basically all that pic tells us is that you don't do much walking in your bike shoes.

My new hardtail build was initially dead quiet, but has developed a pretty bad drivetrain creak under hard pedaling. Everything is brand new and I haven't even ridden it on dirt yet, just rides around the neighborhood.

Pulled the cranks and BB, regreased and re-torqued everything, re-torqued chainring bolts, greased and re-torqed the rear axle, re-torqued RD bolt, and tried different pedals, no effect.

What else can I try? 73 mm BSA BB shell, RF cranks and BB, 148x12 rear, new well-lubed chain.

Creaks are hard to find on bikes. What type of bike? Carbon or metal?

Aluminum frame. It still makes the noise when pedaling out of the saddle so it's not the seat rails or seatpost.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

What else can I try?.
    could be litereally anything
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Aluminum frame. It still makes the noise when pedaling out of the saddle so it's not the seat rails or seatpost.
    Obviously going to be the seat rails or post now.

Cassette?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Creaky fork crown?

RF cinch crank? I used to get creaks from the interface between the chainring and crank arm.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Cassette?
    Forgot to mention that I also put a different rear wheel in, no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Creaky fork crown?
    Fork came off a different bike and never creaked before. Could still be possible, but would be a hell of a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    RF cinch crank? I used to get creaks from the interface between the chainring and crank arm.

104 bcd cranks

Your old knees?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Derailleur hanger / frame interface?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Thanks for the coil fork praises. Pulled the trigger on a 150 mm Marz Z1 for my hardtail last night.

Shock question for those in the know: I have super low miles Fox dpx2 on an Ibis ripmo that feels fine riding, but makes the squishy sucking sound when compressed. Doesn’t seem to do it all the time. I had a dpx on a Bronson a couple years ago that made similar sounds and needed to be rebuilt If you even looked at it. Is this thing in the same boat and a total turd? Rebound seems to still be functional as is compression, is this just the sound it makes with the piggy back? Rebuild? Get another shock? I googled and got answers all over the board. Thoughts?

(Already posted in wrong thread and deleted, but Toast thought may be headed towards rebuild...)

The DPX2 is fairly noisy when you run either the rebound or compression mostly open. It kinda depends on what the sound is. Squish = ok. Slurp = needs service. I'm sure that's not terribly helpful. The best way to check would be to crank the rebound slow (clockwise) and try cycling it. If it's quieter then, you're probably fine. If it's still slurping, it's cavitating and needs service.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    The DPX2 is fairly noisy when you run either the rebound or compression mostly open. It kinda depends on what the sound is. Squish = ok. Slurp = needs service. I'm sure that's not terribly helpful. The best way to check would be to crank the rebound slow (clockwise) and try cycling it. If it's quieter then, you're probably fine. If it's still slurping, it's cavitating and needs service.
    Will do. Anything helps!