Page 179 of 524 FirstFirst ... 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 ... LastLast
Results 4,451 to 4,475 of 13088

Thread: Ask the experts

Has anyone removed the travel spacer in a RS Deluxe or Super Deluxe in order to increase travel?

I'm picking up a new GG Trail Pistol today that comes stock with a 210x50 shock, but I want to extend the stroke to 55mm in order to make it a "Pistola". I've read a couple of threads on MTBR and it seems relatively easy, but just wanted to know if there's anything odd I should expect when I pull the shock apart. It sounds like I can just cut the blue (or red) 5mm spacer out and put the shock back together.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Has anyone removed the travel spacer in a RS Deluxe or Super Deluxe in order to increase travel?

I'm picking up a new GG Trail Pistol today that comes stock with a 210x50 shock, but I want to extend the stroke to 55mm in order to make it a "Pistola". I've read a couple of threads on MTBR and it seems relatively easy, but just wanted to know if there's anything odd I should expect when I pull the shock apart. It sounds like I can just cut the blue (or red) 5mm spacer out and put the shock back together.
    I did this on my 2017 Trance (increase travel from 140 to ~147ish) and my 2019 Super Deluxe. No issues whatsoever. I just used a snips and cut out the little spacer, leaving the washers in there. Be careful it’s a stout piece of plastic and could have taken an eye out then it snapped. I ended up with a good bruise on my chest from it.

Ask the experts

Anybody experiencing creaking from the new Fox roller bearing?

I'm on a new Megatower build with the Float X2 and I had a 'snapping' noise on both fast/hard compression/rebound. I absolutely knew it had to be coming from the suspension so I attacked all the pivots without success. I was afraid it was a valve in the shock but last course of action was to hit that roller bearing. Took it apart, added more grease to the bearings themselves and to the press fit interface, unfortunately also added a bit of grease to the flip chips at the same time so can't totally conclude that it was the roller bearing and these solved the issue. This is my fourth SC so I'm pretty confident it wasn't the flip chip.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    any beta on whisky carbon fiber wheels? found a great deal locally and i'm tempted to snap them up.
    i believe the wheelset in question has an internal diameter of 25mm - the owner says he ran 2.4" tires on them without any issues at all, but i'm obviously concerned that they might be too narrow for me. he also strikes me as a dentist type which doesn't know what he is selling, hence the very good deal
    wheels are intended to go on an evil following, and i think my ideal tire size would be 2.4/2.3 or so.
    Whiskey is QBP's in-house carbon brand. They are well built and have really good quality control. Layup is nice, drilling is burr free, the lace up straight and true with even/equal spoke tension.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9197.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	643.2 KB 
ID:	373670

I just built up some #09 28h 30mmOD to DT350 and Shutter Precision Dynamo hubs for some gravel/adventure riders.

Ask the experts

Bought an eagle 52t cassette (last eagle cassette available at my lbs for who knows how long and they gave me a screaming deal), but I’m currently running the gx 50t cassette (soon to be replaced) and prior model year gx 50t derailleur. Anybody know if the derailleur will work with the 52t cassette?

anyone know anyone or personally ride/rode a 21 Rocky Mountain Altitude? I'm looking to get something ordered up for next year and this could be on the hit list

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Bought an eagle 52t cassette (last eagle cassette available at my lbs for who knows how long and they gave me a screaming deal), but I’m currently running the gx 50t cassette (soon to be replaced) and prior model year gx 50t derailleur. Anybody know if the derailleur will work with the 52t cassette?
    I recall that being a question when the 52 came out and SRAM said no problem running eagle derailleur. They didn't change anything on it with the extra big cassette

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    anyone know anyone or personally ride/rode a 21 Rocky Mountain Altitude? I'm looking to get something ordered up for next year and this could be on the hit list

Yes, I have a few hundred miles and about 100k of downhill vert on mine, what would you like to know?
    It’s a bloody amazing bike.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Yes, I have a few hundred miles and about 100k of downhill vert on mine, what would you like to know?
    It’s a bloody amazing bike.
    what bike did you have before? have you 2021 bike? whats is like at plowing through chunder? how much you pay for it your end of the world?

My last three bikes have been Altitudes and Instinct BC’s.
    Got this ‘21 last fall.
    It is a vastly improved bike in this iteration.
    Not sure what retail is, but around 7k for the XT version?

My last three bikes have been Altitudes and Instinct BC’s.
    Got this ‘21 last fall.
    It is a vastly improved bike in this iteration.
    Not sure what retail is, but around 7k for the XT version?
    it's it as maneuverable as the reviews claim?
    have you heard of anyone going mullet on it?

I am running it mullet, I have posted some impressions in the ‘21 bikes thread (I think).
    I love it for certain things as a mullet, but I have two wheels to swap depending on how chunky/turny the trails are that I am going to ride. I am running it in position 8, I just put on some 165 cranks that I haven’t tried yet.
    With the 27.5 rear wheel and the short wheelbase option it is Dextrous As Fuck.
    If I could order again, I would get the 27.5 version (Sm/Med only) and run a 29” fork.

I am running it mullet, I have posted some impressions in the ‘21 bikes thread (I think).
    I love it for certain things as a mullet, but I have two wheels to swap depending on how chunky/turny the trails are that I am going to ride. I am running it in position 8, I just put on some 165 cranks that I haven’t tried yet.
    With the 27.5 rear wheel and the short wheelbase option it is Dextrous As Fuck.
    If I could order again, I would get the 27.5 version (Sm/Med only) and run a 29” fork.
    I'm gona be honest and I've heard not one bad thing said about the bike other than cost for build kit is higher than some other brands uk sides.
    Rocky Mountain ain't a big thing over here.
    I'll look in the 21 mtb thread and ask there

I can’t actually think of anything I don’t like about it.
    Supposedly it is convertible to a 140mm configuration if you want to play around with that in the future.
    Pedal strikes seem to come with the territory of *most* of these new-school geometry bikes...

I've spent a bunch of time on the new Altitude too. My overall take is that it's really good if you want your 160mm travel enduro bike to also be a really versatile trail bike. It gives up a little bit of composure at mach schnell to get there, compared to a lot of other bikes with similar travel, but not a ton, and I think that's a tradeoff that will work well for a lot of people.

What are you running for a Fork, HAB?
    I feel like the ZEB has been a notable improvement over the 36.

What are you running for a Fork, HAB?
    I feel like the ZEB has been a notable improvement over the 36.
    I’m pretty happy with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I've spent a bunch of time on the new Altitude too. My overall take is that it's really good if you want your 160mm travel enduro bike to also be a really versatile trail bike. It gives up a little bit of composure at mach schnell to get there, compared to a lot of other bikes with similar travel, but not a ton, and I think that's a tradeoff that will work well for a lot of people.
    2 votes and counting,
    When you say gives a little composure away do you regularly push the bike that hard yourself? what circumstances would you wish you had more bike? I aint Jesse Melamed but I aint unskilled and slow either.

The bike does have two wheelbase length options, so there is some Tunability for Balls out, straight line plowing. I prefer mine in short mode for playtime.

The bike does have two wheelbase length options, so there is some Tunability for Balls out, straight line plowing. I prefer mine in short mode for playtime.
    do you ever run yours 29 rear long drop outs for smashing?

Yes, I did that on Porc.
    A smashing success.

Supposedly it is convertible to a 140mm configuration if you want to play around with that in the future.
    Its as simple as replacing the forward shock yoke that bolts onto the underside of the top tube. And having a different length shock.
    Instinct yoke (140mm)
    Altitude yoke (160mm)
    Instinct (140mm) shock MD, LG, XL = 210x52.5mm
    Altitude (160) shock MD, LG, XL = 230x60mm

shock pumps.. is there really a point to ponying up for a more expensive one? any recommendations from the collective?

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    shock pumps.. is there really a point to ponying up for a more expensive one? any recommendations from the collective?
    How often do you use your shock pump? Do you want to use it at home? Take it to the trail head? Take along for rides in your pack?

I really like a digital readout. I also like a pump that has a good check valve that disconnects the air from hose and the valve.

Enduro-MTB Magazine tested 15 shock pumps and rated the Topeak Pocketshox DXG best in test and best in value.

I have the Topeak DXG, the Lezyne Digital Shock Drive, and a WrenchForce that just died a few days ago. (So I have been reading reviews).
    I have the Lezyne Digital in my Travel tool box, and the DXG lives in my gear bag. And the Wrenchforce was in the garage.
    If I was going to buy a new one for my garage I’d buy a Topeak DXG XL.

Actually I’d buy the Lezyne digital floor 300psi shock pump, but I don’t need to spend $125 on a shock pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    2 votes and counting,
    When you say gives a little composure away do you regularly push the bike that hard yourself? what circumstances would you wish you had more bike? I aint Jesse Melamed but I aint unskilled and slow either.

I'm certainly not Jesse either, but yeah. It's not like there are trails that I ride regularly where it's not enough bike for me to manage or anything, but I mostly ran it in the slackest position and the long chainstay setting and still wouldn't mind it being a bit longer and more stable sometimes. Obviously that would come with some tradeoffs when it comes to the trail bike-y versatility, but for a 160mm travel enduro sled, I'd take that tradeoff, personally.

I still think it's a really good bike for a lot of people, but it's not 100% my personal favorite. Just comes down to geometry, and the fact that I don't really want or need my enduro bike to be as versatile as it is. I'm also a little bit between sizes, on the L / XL divide.