Page 354 of 531 FirstFirst ... 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 ... LastLast
Results 8,826 to 8,850 of 13262

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Shimano 12 (HG+) changed the game, pretty much Shimano/Shimano only, or you are missing out on the magic, in terms of shifting under load.
    True. Plus it lasts essentially forever. I'm coming up on 5000 miles on an XT chain.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I upgraded the to the mini v’s with compressionless housing. Huge upgrade. However….

https://woundupcomposites.com/product/duo-2-disc-1-1-8/

These are on the horizon. They will make a custom 1” steel steerer tandem fork as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I upgraded the to the mini v’s with compressionless housing. Huge upgrade. However….

https://woundupcomposites.com/product/duo-2-disc-1-1-8/

These are on the horizon. They will make a custom 1” steel steerer tandem fork as well.

Those are sexy but would be 3x what I paid for my tandem

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Just my experience (and the experience of most people I know). Mixing and matching brands works in a nominal sense, but it pretty clearly works worse in every combination I've tried. If you want good shifting, your cassette and your chain should be the same brand.

And just so I'm clear, I'm only talking about matching the chain to the cassette. All the other bits and pieces of the drivetrain can be whatever as long a they're compatible-ish.
    Fascinating.
    Does this mean you never put a quick link on a Shimano chain? Quick links are like disc brakes and dropper posts for me. Hard pass on a bike without that shit.

However many are in a shit ton.

Shimano has master links of their own I think, but those I’ve always thought are interchangeable

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Fascinating.
    Does this mean you never put a quick link on a Shimano chain? Quick links are like disc brakes and dropper posts for me. Hard pass on a bike without that shit.

12 speed shimano uses master links. The older shimano stuff used the breakaway replacement rivets, but I haven't owned much of that stuff in the last 10 years or so. I generally avoided 11 speed shimano stuff because I didn't like it for a bunch of reasons unrelated to the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    12 speed shimano uses master links. The older shimano stuff used the breakaway replacement rivets, but I haven't owned much of that stuff in the last 10 years or so. I generally avoided 11 speed shimano stuff because I didn't like it for a bunch of reasons unrelated to the chain.
    11 speed Shimano chains have come with master links for a while now. KMC and other links fit just fine though. IMO 11 speed stuff is all cross compatible.

12 speed is a different animal, and the Shimano chains require Shimano chainrings bc the plates have a tighter profile on the inside. XT and XX1 chains are so great that I don't see why anyone would look elsewhere though--just get whichever matches your shit and wax it.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I had the 2015 version of that fork and I think it's the same everything for 2016 as well......could be wrong though. My fork sucked balls no matter what I did and I think the consensus on the internets was that no amount of tuning/oil changes made it not suck. There are some/many from that era of Pikes that simply just suck balls. At the time I think I switched to a DVO Diamond and it was night and day.
    I lacked the proper search term. One I googled "pike harsh" there was lots of info. https://www.mtbr.com/threads/rock-sh...-tune.1049304/ and the "I absolutely hate my Pike" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    and wax it.
    Oh boy here we go again

Name:  4801A970-B1B6-4E5A-8699-370B8DF6F06E.jpeg
Views: 338
Size:  26.9 KB
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Dropper question—

Got a newer reverb (with the vent valve) on my revel rascal. Developed the dreaded sag after a year or so—venting it doesn’t do shit for more than a few minutes.

Options are rebuild for 160$ or toss and get a new post. Had a fox transfer post before and never had issues, and a pnw post on my gravel bike that’s been fine.

Should I expect a 160$ rebuild for a saggy post each year? I thought RS fixed this shit?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    After my experience with the reverb and hearing of so many others with issues I decided to never try their posts again. The rebuild sounds crazy tedious and not worth it IMO.

As you already know the Transfers are bomber and my new bike came with an SDG Tellis and I have been pleasantly surprised so far. Time will tell though.

I wouldn’t pay to rebuild it at $160. If you could do it yourself, do that…

Otherwise there are plenty of reliable droppers on the market, many at $160 or less new…

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post
    Dropper question—

Got a newer reverb (with the vent valve) on my revel rascal. Developed the dreaded sag after a year or so—venting it doesn’t do shit for more than a few minutes.

Options are rebuild for 160$ or toss and get a new post. Had a fox transfer post before and never had issues, and a pnw post on my gravel bike that’s been fine.

Should I expect a 160$ rebuild for a saggy post each year? I thought RS fixed this shit?
    ~$150 gets you a Brand X from Chain Reaction. Another $50 gets you a OneUp, which would be my choice regardless of budget.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

SRAM/RS.
    Some of their shit will inevitably be nice. But they insist on a significant percentage of their shit being actual shit. Like some kind of demented company ethos.

However many are in a shit ton.

One up post are simply better than all considering how much drop you can get for the given frame+riders seat height, plus they are dead reliable. I would sell or give away the RS and just get one. There is really not even a comparison to other post regardless of cost at this point in time. I have 210mm One up on my Ripmo AF with a 27 inch inseam with room to spare IE I could actually run more drop if I wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    One up post are simply better than all considering how much drop you can get for the given frame+riders seat height, plus they are dead reliable. I would sell or give away the RS and just get one. There is really not even a comparison to other post regardless of cost at this point in time. I have 210mm One up on my Ripmo AF with a 27 inch inseam with room to spare IE I could actually run more drop if I wanted to.
    Could you make a video explainer of yourself demonstrating how to take full advantage of that 210mm drop?

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Could you make a video explainer of yourself demonstrating how to take full advantage of that 210mm drop?
    I know your trolling because of my ask for video from everyone but sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYx4gwoZ6po&t=1s

basically more drop is better no matter what even on easy trails, assuming you use the available ROM that more drop affords you. the trail was used because is some tight turn right after another and some pumpable hole and rollers and was easy to get back to the start with out tuning around.

basically more drop is better no matter what even on easy trails, assuming you use the available ROM that more drop affords you. the trail was used because is some tight turn right after another and some pumpable hole and rollers and was easy to get back to the start with out tuning around.
    Name:  75550EE2-7039-4614-9774-4857F38A3AF5.gif
Views: 292
Size:  464.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    ~$150 gets you a Brand X from Chain Reaction.
    $116 right now if you can live with 150 mm: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod149024

Might be the only component out there that somehow has actually gotten cheaper over the last 2 years. I last bought one in 2020 for my hardtail build and it's been flawless (with the caveat that it's not my main bike). The remote lever was much improved compared to the original version.

Another $50 gets you a OneUp, which would be my choice regardless of budget.
    OneUp V2 is currently going for $230, and that goes up to $290 if you need a remote and a clamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

OneUp V2 is currently going for $230, and that goes up to $290 if you need a remote and a clamp.
    Ah dang, didn't realize they upped the price. Still worth it, IMO.

I was thinking he could reuse the lever, then I remembered he has a Reverb. Hydraulic actuation may be reason enough to ditch the Reverb.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

Remote= $14 ZTTO from AliExpress. Comes with cable and housing. I actually like it better than my Wolf Tooth. It’s 95% Identical but there are some minor improvements.

Great answer.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Ok Time guys: Just got my Special 8s installed. I put the pins in with minimum depth and they are nowhere close to the sole of the shoe. So what's the point? To give grip when struggling to clip in?

I assume you are all running the cleats in the 17 degree setting?

~$150 gets you a Brand X from Chain Reaction. Another $50 gets you a OneUp, which would be my choice regardless of budget.
    And I have a take-off SDG Telus for $50, no lever.

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk