Page 339 of 531 FirstFirst ... 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 ... LastLast
Results 8,451 to 8,475 of 13253

Thread: Ask the experts

Have you tried cornmeal as filler?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I’ve gone though 18 quarts of Stans in my home garage this season.
    Maybe I’ll look into a home brew this winter.

Will my Park DAG2 work on my direct mount derailleur hanger? I can’t see how it would since the derailleur just screws into itself and the Dag has a threaded end for old-school threaded derailleur hangers

When I was running through more sealant, I used a recipe pretty similar to Beaterdit's. Worked fine for sealing up a tire. Didn't work quite as well as Stan's or orange seal at plugging holes in the tire.

These days I don't use enough sealant to bother with it. A big jug of orange seal lasts me a year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    from putting it in tires or something kinky ?

i've heard of that home brew method for many years

I don't use enough to bother

i don't even remember the last flat tire on a mtn bike
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

On the sealant discussion, I’ve tried Stan’s and Orange Seal/OS Endurance and any time I got a puncture, it either didn’t ever seal or immediately started leaking once I started riding again.

Stan’s Race with the bigger chunks has been the only stuff I’ve used that actually stops a leak. And of course bacon strips (which also often leak as soon as I start riding again).

What am I doing wrong? Or should I just keep ponying up for Race sealant.

Park sealant injector, if you like having nice things. It’s tangibly nicer than a regular syringe with hose. And larger capacity. And easier to clean. And less resistance pushing in the goo. And betterer. You don’t need it, but you deserve it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    How is that even possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    On the sealant discussion, I’ve tried Stan’s and Orange Seal/OS Endurance and any time I got a puncture, it either didn’t ever seal or immediately started leaking once I started riding again.

Stan’s Race with the bigger chunks has been the only stuff I’ve used that actually stops a leak. And of course bacon strips (which also often leak as soon as I start riding again).

What am I doing wrong? Or should I just keep ponying up for Race sealant.
    Not sure about your bad luck with stans not sealing minor punctures - I've had 100% success. Maybe you need to keep more juice in there (or replenish it more often)?

As for bacon strips: there is a certain art to it -takes some practice (like next time: stuff a tube in on the trail, so you can have a few go's at home and get the hang of it).

Ask the experts

If any of those punctures are actually pinch flats, that’ll do it. Tire jizz is pretty useless on those (without a bacon assist).
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    1 qt = 32oz
    3oz per tire, 2 tires per bike, so 6oz/bike
    5 sets of tires per bottle

That’s only only 90ish tire changes, refreshes or new setups.

I seen a demo at the Stan's booth where buddy (not Stan) was repeatedly jabbing ( sequence of 5 at a time ) a piece of spoke in a length of broom handle thru a richie mtn bike tire

He did that 5 times while we watched the stan's spew out and the hole seal so 25 holes sealed as we watched, he would do this with everyone who stopped at the booth so I asked him how many tires does he go thru and he said he would change it on the second of the 3 day show ... we were impressed

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    He uses Stans as anal lube

Installing a couple volume spacers in fix float x2. Reinstalled retaining clip and have a little roatational play in the cover.

Solved: apparently normal for the air can to have a little rotational play. The amount of resistance to rotation depends on lubrication. And to think I was freaking out

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by skinipenem; 07-24-2022 at 03:22 PM.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Is it bad to reuse a nipple? Had a spoke break close to the hub and nipple is still intact so it’ll save removing tire, cush core, and rim tape. I usually replace both but have an injured hand so a cush core removal/reinstall sounds extra unpleasant right now
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Brass? Reuse. Aluminum? Get a new one

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    LOL

I buy natural latex rubber mold builder. Used to buy it by the quart, $25?, that would make three quarts. Now I've had a gallon can for four(?) years, $80. Makes three gallons of sealant. That'd be $240 worth of standard Stan's, if you're springing for the race sealant, it's a lot more.

My recipe is:

1 part RV winterizer/antifreeze (non-toxic/biodegradable)
    2 parts latex mold builder
    3 parts H2O
    +/- glitter as desired

Been on this program for a decade now. Works well.
    I used to make something similar. No issues with it, but Schillingsworth put me onto a simpler recipe that works just as well - 3 parts water to 1 part mold builder. I add glitter as well, just to be different. Been using this for a couple years with plenty of desert riding. No issues at all. The old recipe (and Stan's for that matter) would bleed through the tire sidewalls on many tires. The simpler recipe does a little but not nearly as bad.

if you can find the same rim I've seen broke kids just tape the new rim next to the old rim and transfer the spokes & nipples, i'm not a huge fan of aluminum nipples

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I used to make something similar. No issues with it, but Schillingsworth put me onto a simpler recipe that works just as well - 3 parts water to 1 part mold builder. I add glitter as well, just to be different. Been using this for a couple years with plenty of desert riding. No issues at all. The old recipe (and Stan's for that matter) would bleed through the tire sidewalls on many tires. The simpler recipe does a little but not nearly as bad.
    What’s your best source for mold builder? How do you explain why you are covered in glitter?

try a crafts store

Has anyone tried the “Hall lock” mod to prevent their derailleur from rotating and making noise? Even running Shimano XT I do have a noise on bigger hits that is probably the B tension screw…

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    What’s your best source for mold builder? How do you explain why you are covered in glitter?
    If you have a Michael's nearby, they usually have it. And if you go online, there's pretty much always a coupon for 40% off 1 item.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I used a recipe like that for a while. Mine ends up at 2 parts diluent to 1 part mold builder so it's a bit thicker/chunkier. Seems to leech less and seal punctures better. I do use "tubeless ready" tires exclusively anymore though. For sure also helps with the sweating sidewalls. The RV antifreeze is optional (equals 1/2 a part) but if your bikes are exposed to freezing temps it denatures the latex the and separates the mix, won't work anymore. Since I started adding the RV antifreeze, no more issues with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    This is the exact product I'm on right now. The paint can reseals well and mine's still going at three or four years, though it does seem a little tired at this point. Looks like they've got pints for $12 and quarts for $21 too. Google shows lots of options, some cheaper.

The glitter just makes me more fabulous!
    Last edited by beaterdit; 07-25-2022 at 01:06 PM.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Running into a problem with a new GRX-810 left shifter. When pressurizing the system the mineral oil weeps out of the hole pictured. I know this isn't by design as this is bike 4 with these brake levers and this is the only one with issues. The seller is in the UK and wants me to send this back for warranty evaluation. Anybody know if there is a way to sidestep that step and go directly to Shimano?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Any chance it's missing an o-ring?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk