Page 364 of 524 FirstFirst ... 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 ... LastLast
Results 9,076 to 9,100 of 13088

Thread: Ask the experts

Gene Simmons drinks blood, not Faygo.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Shaggy 2 Dope, I believe
    crab in my shoe mouth

Magnets, how do they work?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    The new 12 speed stuff is finicky.
    With Shimano 12s the new chain at </= 0.5 should be no problem.
    As others have stated you should be able to get 2 or 3 < 0.5 chain changes on a XT 12s cassette.
    The chainring will wear out before the cassette does, and by the the 3rd chain, but this only effects chain retention, it does not effect the shifting effectiveness with a worn chainring.
    I just did a full refresh of an XTR system worn well down past 1.0. I'll post some picture of it.

With SRAM 12s, the XX1 and XO1 chains will last longer than the XX1/XO1 cassettes, so with that system you typically replace the chainring 1/2 way through its life, and run the chain and cassette into the ground. New chains mid life don't make sense, unless you're upgrading a GX level chain. Their steel chainrings will last 75% the life of the cassette, and the light aluminum ones last 30% of the life of the chain and chainring.
    Thank you Dee!!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Cooked XTR cassette.
    Teeth starting to shark, last teeth by the ramps worn down.
    This is off a pro rider who puts a lot of miles on the bike.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6051.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	221.7 KB 
ID:	427833

Name:	IMG_6053.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	427836

Name:	IMG_6054.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	427835

Try to sell it on eBay for $150.

(That shit always cracks me up)

Anybody have a 110 X 15 (boost) front hub with 24 holes they wanna sell me?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Once again Deehubs we are not worthy of your beta !
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

XTR = Shimano engineered to fall apart quickly and cost most to replace. But it is lighter....

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Try to sell it on eBay for $150.

(That shit always cracks me up)
    “Plenty of life left”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    12 speed shimano m8100 chain wear at 0.5%. According to LBS. No CASSETTE
    SHIMANO XT M8100 | 10-51T | 12-speed I Hyperglide+ available without internet price gouging.

Replace chain now? LBS recommends waiting until 0.75 - 0.1% to replace chain and cassette. Assuming cassettes available then. They say not to risk poor mating with a new chain now without a cassette available.

With SRAM 11 and 12 speed and Shimano 11-42 11 speed, I have gotten years out of cassettes by changing chains at 0.5%. These cassettes are all steel except for the largest cog, which is aluminum.

This strategy worked less well on the Shimano 11-46 11 speed cassette, which has the second-largest cog out of aluminum in addition to the largest. I only got I think 3 chains out of that cassette before the second-largest cog started skipping.

XT and XTR 12 speed have multiple alloy cogs, so it’s possible that a shorter cassette life is something you can expect. Nonetheless, I would try a new chain at 0.5% and run the cassette until it skips.

And if I was looking for more durability from Shimano 12 speed, I’d go with the SLX cassette, which only has one alloy cog, or Deore which is all steel. Obviously these come with a weight penalty (SLX 10-51 is only about 60 g heavier than XT, though).

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    XTR = Shimano engineered to fall apart quickly and cost most to replace. But it is lighter....
    Interestingly I watched a YouTuber that back to backed xt vs xtr chain and the xtr won in the durability category by a longshot.

No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Interestingly I watched a YouTuber that back to backed xt vs xtr chain and the xtr won in the durability category by a longshot.

Zero Friction testing also shows XTR chains having better longevity than XT, by significant amount, but not ‘longshot’.

XX1/X01 were the longevity kings, but they’re very low efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I’ll take the added 3 year warranty on XTR (and DuraAce) stuff any day.

My ‘18 XTR 12 groups (I have two) have outlasted anything I have ever owned, now that I think about it. The derailluers are way more robust than the XT’s, IME.

XTR cassettes are made out of cheese. Soft cheese.

After using pretty much everything, I've found that XTR and X01/XX1 chains are worth it. They last noticeably longer than the level below with proper maintenance... no cheese sauce needed.

The high-end shifters are always worth it, and the derailleurs seem to take misfortunes better. Everything else comes down to weight or bling.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I agree the high end shifters feel great. However, the only downside to the XT/XTR 12-spd shifters that I’ve seen is broken pivot springs resulting in no downshifts and finishing the ride in a single gear. Not real predictable either.
    Last edited by g_man80; 09-29-2022 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Not DIY but I had a frame repaired at Calfee in California. Was relatively inexpensive (couple hundred bucks) and it came with a warranty. Peace of mind is worth something when you are hauling and not having to wonder if you used enough epoxy...

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    exactly this, it would always be in the back of my mind.

Sent from my SM-G780G using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Any recommendations for a pump that never leaves the car? Points awards for smaller form factor and efficient inflation for 80% MTB tires and 20% high volume gravel tires. Nothing more than 40 PSI. Open to, but skeptical about electric options. Especially if they require a proprietary battery and aren't USB rechargeable.

I hate Lezyne, but I do really like my CNC Travel floor pump. It’s life’s in the car for years. Zero issue, puts out as much air as my full sized floor pump. I’ve used it to fill my Airshot to 130psi without straining it.
    If it weren’t for inertia, I’d change out the chuck for something not threaded.
    Honestly, the fact that it lies flat makes it a better car pump than anything else hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbest Known Time View Post
    Any recommendations for a pump that never leaves the car? Points awards for smaller form factor and efficient inflation for 80% MTB tires and 20% high volume gravel tires. Nothing more than 40 PSI. Open to, but skeptical about electric options. Especially if they require a proprietary battery and aren't USB rechargeable.
    SKS Rennkompressor easily fits under the back seat in my truck. Not sure if it fits the "smaller form factor" requirement, though?

Beto floor pumps were only 25$ at MEC so I bought 3 of them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbest Known Time View Post
    anyone used on of these? stompump.com
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I have a Blackburn High Volume pump (presta only) with a huge (so big) pressure gauge. Seats tubeless tires well, only goes to 50 or so PSI. Got it at Jenson factory store in Corona discounted. Has a bottle opener and you can replace the handle with a handlebar if you're into that kinda thing. Favorite pump so far, lives in the boot.