Page 229 of 533 FirstFirst ... 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,725 of 13303

Thread: Ask the experts

Does using the word "extreme" to describe a variation of a product that is actually weaker than the regular one indicate that we've reached peak dilution of the word?

I learned the lesson (the hard way) to not use SG anywhere near full strength many years ago. For bike stuff I use regular dish soap now. My chains stay reasonably clean and I don't feel the need to make them surgical tool level spotless.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I thought the simple green issue only was a problem if you left parts soaking a very long time - like full strength SG, soaking for weeks.

I've been using diluted regular SG, cut 50% with water, for years - soak a chain in it for a day or two, rinse thoroughly. Never had an issue using SG, as far as I can tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Usually I soak in kerosene. Kerosene and heated ultrasonic cleaner did not seem like a good idea so I did SG.

I don't clean my chain very often, but when I do, I just use a half-pint jar with a wee bit of white gas in it. Chain comes out *squeaky* clean from that bath.

DHX vs DHX2?

Any reason to spend the extra $100 on the DHX2 (outside of the HSR/HSC knobs)?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    DHX vs DHX2?

Any reason to spend the extra $100 on the DHX2 (outside of the HSR/HSC knobs)?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I've got a dhx on my Enduro at the moment - full review to come. I kinda miss the HSC adjustment - it struggles a little bit on big impacts. Small bump sensitivity and mid stroke support are good though. Mid stroke support is maybe(?) better than the DHX2.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I don't clean my chain very often, but when I do, I just use a half-pint jar with a wee bit of white gas in it. Chain comes out *squeaky* clean from that bath.
    Yup incredibly clean ^^ I discovered this method to clean the shipping grease off of new chains to prep for using wax

once I'm on wax I never clean the chain but I think I would try using a heat gun to melt off the waxy bits
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I use mineral spirits (shake in a glass jar) because it’s what I had and in a sealed container, it’ll clean a lot of chains and last forever. Works well on wax.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Not a question, just a curious observation:

GG says a Size 3 Revved frame weighs 6.5 lbs. My new Size 2 frame weighed out to 7.66 lbs, and the alloy small Megatrail I stripped down weighed out to 7.25 lbs. I'm not that bugged by it as I mostly bought it for the new geo, looks and mullet potential, but I certainly didn't expect to gain weight going to a carbon frame.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 08-11-2021 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Not a question, just a curious observation:

GG says a Size 3 Revved frame weighs 6.5 lbs. My new Size 2 frame weighed out to 7.66 lbs, and the alloy small Megatrail I stripped down weighed out to 7.25 lbs. I'm not that bugged by it as I mostly bought it for the new geo and looks, but I certainly didn't expect to gain weight going to a carbon frame.
    Maybe 6.5 lbs is without shock (since that's how they're initially priced / sold)?

That'd make sense since a shock is somewhere in the neighborhood of a pound.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Maybe 6.5 lbs is without shock (since that's how they're initially priced / sold)?

That'd make sense since a shock is somewhere in the neighborhood of a pound.
    6.5 lbs is definitely sans shock. I weighed both w/o shock. Headset and rear axle were installed on both.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    6.5 lbs is definitely sans shock. I weighed both w/o shock. Headset and rear axle were installed on both.
    Huh. I dunno then. Just think of it as bonus durability.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Anyone know if regular hydraulic brake hose is compatible with Reverb dropper remote hose?

I need to replace the hose on a Reverb and have some Shimano size hose that looks like it'd work. (Don't need connectamajig fitting, just barbs at ends)
    Anyone know on this? The Shimano hose I had was used, so I don't want to possibly contaminate the Reverb with mineral brake fluid - I think Reverb fluid is just light suspension oil, but don't know about compatibility issues with mineral oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Anyone know on this? The Shimano hose I had was used, so I don't want to possibly contaminate the Reverb with mineral brake fluid - I think Reverb fluid is just light suspension oil, but don't know about compatibility issues with mineral oil.
    Mineral oil and suspension fluid will play nice. I've been using 2.5 wt shock oil instead of overpriced mineral oil labeled for brakes for years in Shimano brakes and Magura moto clutches.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Huh. I dunno then. Just think of it as bonus durability.
    FWIW... the Revved (and powder coated) GG frames are by far the most burly I've had experience with. I'll gladly sacrifice half a pound of weight to get the durability and stiffness of the frames they build. Compared to some of our other/past demo brands, the build quality is quite a significant difference.

Also a data point for you (not you specifically, Toast... just the "collective" you): I've got a Size 3 full-Revved Trail Pistola built up with a Lyrik 150, Super Deluxe Ultimate, X01 drivetrain, Enduro 305 wheels, Bike Yoke dropper, 1000g tires and Magura MT7 brakes/rotors and it weighs 30.5 lbs. That's pretty damn good for a bruiser of a trail bike, IMO.

i would flush the hose with alcohol, let it dry and call it good
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    FWIW... the Revved (and powder coated) GG frames are by far the most burly I've had experience with. I'll gladly sacrifice half a pound of weight to get the durability and stiffness of the frames they build. Compared to some of our other/past demo brands, the build quality is quite a significant difference.
    This thing is probably as close to a "forever" frame as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Also a data point for you (not you specifically, Toast... just the "collective" you): I've got a Size 3 full-Revved Trail Pistola built up with a Lyrik 150, Super Deluxe Ultimate, X01 drivetrain, Enduro 305 wheels, Bike Yoke dropper, 1000g tires and Magura MT7 brakes/rotors and it weighs 30.5 lbs. That's pretty damn good for a bruiser of a trail bike, IMO.
    With the old frame it weighed 34 lbs with a Mezzer, Mara Pro, X1 RD/chain, XX1 11sp cassette, Aeffect cranks, Reynolds Blacklabel wheels, Dominion A4 brakes, Protaper carbon bars, 1100 g tires, Aeffect post, and cage/bottle.

I'm using a fish scale from Amazon and not a fancy Park scale, but I've checked it with a gallon of water which read 8.2 lbs so if anything it reads a little light.

My revved smash was around 32.5 (with pedals). I don't remember what tires were on it - probably at least a DD on the rear.

My revved smash was around 32.5 (with pedals). I don't remember what tires were on it - probably at least a DD on the rear.
    It was a 2.3 DD DHR2 in back with a 2.5 Exo DHF up front when you sent it my way.

Ask the experts

Dan, you should try Smash mode if you get a chance. I’ve spent a good amount of time on the three 29er modes and the Smash is by far my favorite. You’re on the right track with the 150mm fork. I thought the TP felt a little unbalanced with 140, which is weird for me to say cause I’m typically anti overforking.

What's the Mtb velomenati rule for mismatched suspension?

Picked up a long travel Lyrik from the board and having a PITA locating a corresponding RS shock 210x50 for my stumpy, so now looking for Fox DPX2. Buying from PB is a big PITA and ebay is a bit sparse for that size air shock.

I'm not aware of such a rule. Over the years, I've been mismatched more often than not.

You might also consider a Mara/Mara Pro. Might be easier to find one? The couple friends that have them are in love with them.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    What's the Mtb velomenati rule for mismatched suspension?
    There is none that I know of. I have an MRP fork and a Fox shock. NGAF as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I'm not aware of such a rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    There is none that I know of.
    Pfffffft. Surely you two must realize what all the whispering is about when you show up at the TH with Kashima on one end and jet black on the other... This is MTBing, it's not about performance, it's about how good your ride looks!!

But seriously, I really don't see a reason to bother matching suspension, get whatever works best front and back.
    I did eventually get a MaraPro to match my Mezzer but that was because I couldn't make sense of the DPX2, not because I wanted every squishy bit to match. Nope, not at all.
    Not gonna lie though, bike looks much more rad now that it's all Manitou-ed
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Dan, you should try Smash mode if you get a chance. I’ve spent a good amount of time on the three 29er modes and the Smash is by far my favorite. You’re on the right track with the 150mm fork. I thought the TP felt a little unbalanced with 140, which is weird for me to say cause I’m typically anti overforking.
    Agreed. Smash is pretty close to my favorite bike I've been on in the last 5 years. Trail pistol on the other hand is quite a ways down the ranking.