Page 17 of 533 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    what exactly is the aggressor for? ive got no skin left on my forearm from it breaking lose on me,

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    Rear tire only on firm dry terrain. I would never own one on the east side.

I like the aggressor for a trail bike rear tire. Rolls way faster than the dhr2, drifts predictably, and pairs well with a dhf up front. Obviously it doesn't have the grip of a meatier tire, but it still hooks up better than an ikon or ardent.

This is the 1st bout of dry weather we've had since last year. My local flow trails i ride are now bone dry and really loose. I put some weight through them whilst high on a berm, the aggressor gave way on me and popped over the top of the berm, the DHF was holding lovely

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I like the aggressor for a trail bike rear tire. Rolls way faster than the dhr2, drifts predictably, and pairs well with a dhf up front. Obviously it doesn't have the grip of a meatier tire, but it still hooks up better than an ikon or ardent.

My big gripe with the aggressor vs the DHR2 is braking. You know how I love to slow down, the DHR2 is probably the best braking tread made. I can adjust to the drift of it but I prefer the more planted minions. That being said I have only used the 2.3 version of the aggressor.
    Last edited by Eluder; 04-10-2020 at 09:24 AM.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Neither the Aggressor or Dissector are very good on steeps that require braking, IMO. They both also disintegrate quickly. I just took off a Dissector after about a month of quarantine use, and it's probably got 2-3 weeks of use left on it. DHR went back on and immediately felt much better. Of those 2 (Aggressor/Dissector), Dissector is the better option. Shoulder knobs hook up a bit better, and the open tread punches down through loose over hard a bit better.

So might have smashed an XT lever and reservoir are up
    Good on the hardtail- can you change it out the whole bar side of the system without having to bleed at the caliper as well (I’m good with bleeding at the bar reservoir)?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

OK, my ask the experts question. Are Chris King headsets really any more durable (specifically, water resistant) than others? I'm choosing parts for a new build. I kill CC 40s in about 6-9 months. I've tried a 110 lower bearing and that seemed to hold up OK. I've been using a Wolf Tooth one for about a year and the bearings are still smooth, but I do have to pop out the bearings and regrease the cups every couple months to stop it from creaking when my weight rocks forward. Weather isn't particularly bad, but I do wash my bike often, especially winter/spring. I'm not pressure washing or using a direct spray at the bearings or seals, but headsets just don't seem to like me. My shortlist right now is either stomaching the CK price, trying a CC Hellbender, or re-using my Wolf Tooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    OK, my ask the experts question. Are Chris King headsets really any more durable (specifically, water resistant) than others? I'm choosing parts for a new build. I kill CC 40s in about 6-9 months. I've tried a 110 lower bearing and that seemed to hold up OK. I've been using a Wolf Tooth one for about a year and the bearings are still smooth, but I do have to pop out the bearings and regrease the cups every couple months to stop it from creaking when my weight rocks forward. Weather isn't particularly bad, but I do wash my bike often, especially winter/spring. I'm not pressure washing or using a direct spray at the bearings or seals, but headsets just don't seem to like me. My shortlist right now is either stomaching the CK price, trying a CC Hellbender, or re-using my Wolf Tooth.
    Wash your bike less. A CC 40 will usually last me a few years (because I only spray it with water rarely).

+1 on wash the bike less. If its dirty/wet, let it dry then wipe the dirt/dust/crud off with a rag. Can't remember the last time I had to replace a headset.

+2 headsets these days are long lasting

Here's a nerdy one - what's the deal with Rockshox's 2021 Debonair spring?

The 19/20 Debonair air spring equalizes at sag and has a relatively large volume, which makes the fork very supple off the top, and allows for higher positive spring pressure to be run without giving up small bump sensitivity, which gives lots of support. The downside is that it is likely harder to use full travel at those higher air spring pressures for less aggressive riders, which I am guessing resulted in people running low pressures and having their fork sit low.

Compared to the 19/20 air spring, they have:
    - Reduced the volume of the negative spring
    - Shifted the air spring upward to that the negative spring equalizes at a relatively lower pressure
    - Added a void on the underside of the air piston sealhead to increase the air volume in the lower leg

The end result is a less powerful, lower volume negative spring. Their stated goal is keep the fork sitting higher in its travel, which I think is achieved by having a less powerful negative spring. Less positive spring pressure will be needed to keep the fork sitting high, which will make it easier to use full travel, but at the cost of support in the middle of the stroke.

My question is, for aggressive riders who are not having issues using full travel with the 19/20 Debonair spring, is there any reason the 2021 air spring, which its smaller and lower-pressure negative spring, would be a good thing?

To add onto D(C)'s post am I an idiot for not immediately buying either the new or one version older Debonair air spring for my 2015 Pike?

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    To add onto D(C)'s post am I an idiot for not immediately buying either the new or one version older Debonair air spring for my 2015 Pike?
    The 19/20 air spring is a nice and relatively inexpensive upgrade for the older Pike. It might be worth popping one in next time you do a lowers service.

In terms of whether you get the 19/20 or 2021 air spring, I am interested to hear what others say.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Only $50 for a new 2021 air spring (or $25 to upgrade your 2018 DebonAir) why wouldn't you.
    I upgraded my Pike to the 2019 air spring when it came out and it was a way better feeling fork.

I have 2 2015 Pikes (just happened that way) but can i buy the new Air spring and pop it in as well? 2015 isn’t too old?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    I have 2 2015 Pikes (just happened that way) but can i buy the new Air spring and pop it in as well? 2015 isn’t too old?
    Yeah, they make a version of the latest air spring that will fit the old Pike. It is a noticeable improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Yeah, they make a version of the latest air spring that will fit the old Pike. It is a noticeable improvement.
    well Christ this quarantine thing is really starting to cost me money...

Tell me about it. Every other day a package shows up. One will be the new air shaft for a Lyrik. Going to go down from 170mm to 150mm

1 of my bike forks is in for servicing and needed to be sent off to Rockshox... i assume i can just add that to the work order while its there.

well Christ this quarantine thing is really starting to cost me money...
    Seriously. I think I'm now sponsored by Amazon. Or I've sponsored an Amazon employee. Guess I need to do a lower seal replacement and swap a new air spring in too. Plus the bearing replacement that I've got a bunch of tools coming for.

Who has these said air springs in stock?

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Here's a nerdy one - what's the deal with Rockshox's 2021 Debonair spring?

The 19/20 Debonair air spring equalizes at sag and has a relatively large volume, which makes the fork very supple off the top, and allows for higher positive spring pressure to be run without giving up small bump sensitivity, which gives lots of support. The downside is that it is likely harder to use full travel at those higher air spring pressures for less aggressive riders, which I am guessing resulted in people running low pressures and having their fork sit low.

Compared to the 19/20 air spring, they have:
    - Reduced the volume of the negative spring
    - Shifted the air spring upward to that the negative spring equalizes at a relatively lower pressure
    - Added a void on the underside of the air piston sealhead to increase the air volume in the lower leg

The end result is a less powerful, lower volume negative spring. Their stated goal is keep the fork sitting higher in its travel, which I think is achieved by having a less powerful negative spring. Less positive spring pressure will be needed to keep the fork sitting high, which will make it easier to use full travel, but at the cost of support in the middle of the stroke.

My question is, for aggressive riders who are not having issues using full travel with the 19/20 Debonair spring, is there any reason the 2021 air spring, which its smaller and lower-pressure negative spring, would be a good thing?
    Haven't ridden it, but I expect it'll make the rockshox forks feel a little more like the fox forks. They'll sit a little higher in their travel and not run into the mid stroke quite so easily. They'll also sit a little higher under medium to hard braking. That'll likely come at the expense of a little bit of small bump sensitivity.

I think it's a preference thing. Personally, I prefer the 19/20 rockshox feel to the 19/20 fox feel. The rockshox are more supple off the top, and a combination of volume reducers and damping can achieve decent mid stroke support (although still not as good as fox). But plenty of people prefer the more supportive fox feel, and apparently rockshox thinks it's worth revising in that direction.

Ultimately, I expect it to be a fairly minor difference that a healthy majority of riders wouldn't even notice. But the marketing departments will act like it's a big deal so people buy more shit.

I hate having deliveries to the house as the dogs go crazy but its a necessity especially now... plus gives you something to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Haven't ridden it, but I expect it'll make the rockshox forks feel a little more like the fox forks. They'll sit a little higher in their travel and not run into the mid stroke quite so easily. They'll also sit a little higher under medium to hard braking. That'll likely come at the expense of a little bit of small bump sensitivity.

I think it's a preference thing. Personally, I prefer the 19/20 rockshox feel to the 19/20 fox feel. The rockshox are more supple off the top, and a combination of volume reducers and damping can achieve decent mid stroke support (although still not as good as fox). But plenty of people prefer the more supportive fox feel, and apparently rockshox thinks it's worth revising in that direction.

Ultimately, I expect it to be a fairly minor difference that a healthy majority of riders wouldn't even notice. But the marketing departments will act like it's a big deal so people buy more shit.
    Thanks, that's helpful. I was thinking the new air spring would feel more Fox-like. I agree that I am not sure if that's good or bad.

I have a Lyrik RC2 on my full-suspension and a 36 Fit4 (with NA2 EVOL) on my hardtail and both air springs feel great, though definitely different. I wouldn't call the Fox fork noticeably less sensitive.

My strategy with my Lyrik to get it to ride high is to exceed the recommended air pressure by about 10 psi and then go easy on the tokens so I can still use most/all of the travel (though it takes a really big hit, like stuffing the front wheel in a hole at speed, to bottom out). Set up like that, the fork feels excellent.

I did order the $25 sealhead and nut kit for my Lyrik just because I'm curious, and it's an excuse to service the lowers.

Who has these said air springs in stock?
    WorldWide Cyclery,
    and
    Universal Cycles