Page 67 of 531 FirstFirst ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 13255

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by BCtransplant View Post
    Yeah, how in the fuck have I been living in North Van this long and NOT gotten into this previously???

Also being an old fuck, I do note that crashes hurt a little more than snow. Going over the bars the first time was an unpleasant revelation. Also the 10 year olds impatiently waiting to send the line I’m picking my way down.
    Well, since you brought it up. New bikes are way safer to ride just because the geo is way more forgiving when you f up. Its almost impossible to go over the bars with the HT angles these days. Then add all the other advancements it just makes sense (a lot if you're a bit older) to upgrade to current tech.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Well, since you brought it up. New bikes are way safer to ride just because the geo is way more forgiving when you f up. Its almost impossible to go over the bars with the HT angles these days. Then add all the other advancements it just makes sense (a lot if you're a bit older) to upgrade to current tech.
    I’m sure I’ll still find a way to eat shit on any bike, but that’s good to know too. I’ll take the advice and avoid sinking any money into the current bike, and let my wife know I have an expensive summer hobby now too.

I may be misrepresenting myself, I’m not like old-old, but learning a new physical skill in your 40s is facking difficult.

Dirt jumping looks kind of fun too...
    I'm taking myself to a dirty part of town, where all my troubles can't be found...

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    And if you're really worried about it, you could probably weld on a sleeve as a reinforcement.
    Paging IAS....

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Paging IAS....
    Heh. Yeah. Could also fiberglass it. (Which would probably actually work just fine).

I have an almost identical dent in my DeKerf Generation, from a crash in 2003. I've ridden the bike at least once a week since then (I see no point replacing a bike i only use for mid week riding around local town forests, so it will likely be in use for at least another 10 years). Just ride it and forget about it. You are never going to ride a steel frame to failure point, and even if you did, it would be a weld that would give way rather than round that dent.

Nick

<snip>
    This is a *really* bad idea unless you don't mind fucking yourself up ROYALLY.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    This is a *really* bad idea unless you don't mind fucking yourself up ROYALLY.

Yeah, but he is right that it's really fun.

I am maybe not the best arbiter of what's reasonable when it comes to destroying yourself.

I’m sure I’ll still find a way to eat shit on any bike, but that’s good to know too. I’ll take the advice and avoid sinking any money into the current bike, and let my wife know I have an expensive summer hobby now too.

I may be misrepresenting myself, I’m not like old-old, but learning a new physical skill in your 40s is facking difficult.

If you didnt do it when you were younger be careful about taking it up now

its not the being in the air that hurts ... its the landing

So what was fixed with a handful of IBU's and a Venti starbucks at age 25 will be 11 months of physio at age 40, IME it was getting back into it all post kid raising/ divorce, now I know how to do the transitioning without getting hurt
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Yeah, but he is right that it's really fun.
    Undoubtedly.

I am maybe not the best arbiter of what's reasonable when it comes to destroying yourself.
    You and @FullTrucker both.

Undoubtedly.

I’m no slouch in this regard!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Wait what did he do to himself this time?

He French fried when he should have pizza’d.
    Or the other way around.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Question 1: I have been trying hard to standardize brakes (there are 7 bikes with hydros in the family currently and this will continue to increase) to shimano primarily for spare parts and maintenance. However, I just bought a bike with a set of SRAM Rival Force 1 brakes and need to buy a bleed kit. I have an old Avid kit. . . I'm assuming the fittings are different? Can anybody point me in the direction of a decent bleed kit? Historically this has been cheaper than having the LBS do it.

Question 2: I was told the tires on my Revolt were setup with tubes, but in my inspection last night I found that they were actually tubeless. In the process of depressurizing and repressurizing a hold in the rim revealed itself. It's currently sealed with sealant, but is there a better way to seal a hole in a rim? There is no dent around it so I have no idea how it could have gotten there. That said, I don't want to be dealing with a leaky rim rodeside if I can proactively address this.

Looking more closely at that rim it would appear that there may be other holes in the rim that are covered up by the graphics. Manufacturer defect?

Seth

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200806_001849.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	336480

Name:	20200806_002652.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	336481

Is that a Carbon rim with some porosity in the weave ?

If its sealed its sealed what more do you want ?

There shouldn't be sealant in that part of the rim anyway. The rim tape has gotten messed up or it wasn't taped properly from the start. Sealant inside the rim will corrode the spoke nipples.

Wait what did he do to himself this time?
    Ribses this time... may be the 1st time for him.

I think his dirt-jumping injuries involved broken backs.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    New bikes are way safer to ride just because the geo is way more forgiving when you f up. Its almost impossible to go over the bars with the HT angles these days.
    This is true.

But it’s also true that you can’t cheat the laws of physics. New bikes are way more stable and have way more control at speed than old bikes do - but kinetic energy still equals 1/2 mass times velocity squared! You can only control so much of your mass, so you had better really control your velocity if you don’t want to get fucked up!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Question 1: I have been trying hard to standardize brakes (there are 7 bikes with hydros in the family currently and this will continue to increase) to shimano primarily for spare parts and maintenance. However, I just bought a bike with a set of SRAM Rival Force 1 brakes and need to buy a bleed kit. I have an old Avid kit. . . I'm assuming the fittings are different? Can anybody point me in the direction of a decent bleed kit? Historically this has been cheaper than having the LBS do it.

Question 2: I was told the tires on my Revolt were setup with tubes, but in my inspection last night I found that they were actually tubeless. In the process of depressurizing and repressurizing a hold in the rim revealed itself. It's currently sealed with sealant, but is there a better way to seal a hole in a rim? There is no dent around it so I have no idea how it could have gotten there. That said, I don't want to be dealing with a leaky rim rodeside if I can proactively address this.

Looking more closely at that rim it would appear that there may be other holes in the rim that are covered up by the graphics. Manufacturer defect?

Seth

Name:	20200806_001849.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	336480

Name:	20200806_002652.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	336481
    Holes in a metal rim are normal. They're for venting the inner void in the rim when it's welded. If sealant is coming out there, it's because your rim tape is shot. If it stops leaking, that means the sealant took care of the gap in rim tape and I wouldn't mess with it.

If your sram brakes have a "bleeding edge" fitting at the caliper (Google this to see if you have it) you'll need a new fitting. If they don't have that, your old avid bleed kit is probably fine.

Ribses this time... may be the 1st time for him.

I think his dirt-jumping injuries involved broken backs.
    Ribs suck.

Dammit, now I want ribs.

Quote Originally Posted by nick_B10 View Post
    My shock (an old fox rp23) felt like that the nitrogen chamber lost all pressure. Felt like i couldn't keep the bike tracking correctly. I spent a bunch of time trying to figure out what was wrong with my rear hub/axle before i tried a different shock. Should be fixable with a full rebuild, although buying a nearly new takeoff may be more economical.
    My shock, frame and rear wheel is fine. I was just playing around letting excessive air out at the top of a long, steep, babyhead-janky-bush, slow speed DH. Kind of worked for that, but on the mellow faster coasting stuff, that wallow sensation is just strange. Everything is going up and down, so why does it feel like the rear is listing and roiling side to side? Think, clapped-out 4-door sedan in a bad 70’s chaise scene.

I know that little people live in the television and put on play for me to watch, but I cannot comprehend the lateral sensation. Kind of odd that I’ve never run a shock that low before.
    So the world is filled with tubular entities. Food goes in one end and shit comes out the other. Sperm goes in and babies come out.

Ribs suck.

Dammit, now I want ribs.
    next time you watch a crankworks or redbull or wtf when you see buddy make the winning run and come skidding into the end zone focus behind him instead and you will usually see 2 or 3 guys in wheel chairs

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Where to ride and or camp between SWMT and Eagle County, CO? I have to head to CO for some work stuff and trying to figure out where to ride and sleep on the way down. Preferably a place that isn't 9000* so western slope is probably out even though I love it there. (shit I might still go anyway). Leaving tomorrow afternoon or Saturday early AM.

Aspen area if I detour? Gotta be in Vail by about 10 or 11am on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Where to ride and or camp between SWMT and Eagle County, CO? I have to head to CO for some work stuff and trying to figure out where to ride and sleep on the way down. Preferably a place that isn't 9000* so western slope is probably out even though I love it there. (shit I might still go anyway). Leaving tomorrow afternoon or Saturday early AM.

Aspen area if I detour? Gotta be in Vail by about 10 or 11am on Sunday.
    Steamboat.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Steamboat.
    Duh.

Reccos for particular trails/loops? Dispersed camping aka FS roads?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Holes in a metal rim are normal. They're for venting the inner void in the rim when it's welded. If sealant is coming out there, it's because your rim tape is shot. If it stops leaking, that means the sealant took care of the gap in rim tape and I wouldn't mess with it.

If your sram brakes have a "bleeding edge" fitting at the caliper (Google this to see if you have it) you'll need a new fitting. If they don't have that, your old avid bleed kit is probably fine.
    Didn't know that about aluminum rims. Air sneaking past the tape makes sense.

I actually have a bleeding edge tool so it sounds like I might okay.

Thanks all!

Seth

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk