Page 249 of 263 FirstFirst ... 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 ... LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,225 of 6561

Thread: Ask the experts

  1. #6201
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    What comes around goes around.

    DH racers are pretty much wearing skin suits again albeit with padding underneath
    Pretty soon disc wheels on DH bikes will be back, and they’ll have to revive the Kamikaze DH.

  2. #6202
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    174
    As a proud owner of a dad bod I’m thoroughly enjoying the latest posts in this thread. For years I joined in the judgement of the Lycra crowd. Recent forays into road biking have helped me see the real insecurity behind those opinions.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  3. #6203
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Back in Seattle
    Posts
    671
    I wore my waterproof baggies riding today and forgot how awesome they are. If you ever math in the rain you should buy some.

  4. #6204
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    31,224
    Is that like Algebra in a sleet storm?
    Forum Cross Pollinator

  5. #6205
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Meanwhile all us guys who enjoy a post ride beer or just have dad-bods still do a hard pass on these trendy new skinsuits.
    And we all appreciate that.

  6. #6206
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    6,544
    Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I love how the DH & endurbro crowd is making their shorts/pants tighter and tighter because, let's face it, tight clothes work really well for cycling. Huh. Maybe there's something to Lycra after all.
    They are? Are you wearing lycra skiing, 'cause ya know, racers wear lycra and it works well for skiing.

    My Dakine Thrillium pant is fkna awesome for colder weather. Baggie, yet fitted.

    And the dad bod lycra wearing roadies...does it really matter? Maybe get in shape first, then throw the lance wannabe clothes on?

  7. #6207
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central VT
    Posts
    4,594
    Speaking of bike wear, my buddy who works at shop showed me these "mtb dungarees" that his shop is stocking. The POC rep said they've sold one pair in the Northeast so far. I honestly thought they were a joke at first but they're very real.

    https://na.pocsports.com/products/co...medium=organic

    I think they're absolutely absurd looking and will be keeping my eye out for a pair being worn in the wild.

  8. #6208
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    3,650
    ^ you have to understand the Swedes and their weather to understand this design.
    With only 6-1/2 days of sunny summer weather, they will ride their bikes is all conditions.

  9. #6209
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    1,889
    That's a ski bib with tapered legs/ankles, suppose Dee's right in the applicability of the environment. Guessing UK and other wet regions would get more use than us.

  10. #6210
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,069
    All sorted, see ya on the trails.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 9.33.32 AM.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	236.9 KB 
ID:	387815

  11. #6211
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    8,504
    Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    All sorted, see ya on the trails.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 9.33.32 AM.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	236.9 KB 
ID:	387815

  12. #6212
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    11,076
    Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Speaking of bike wear, my buddy who works at shop showed me these "mtb dungarees" that his shop is stocking. The POC rep said they've sold one pair in the Northeast so far. I honestly thought they were a joke at first but they're very real.

    https://na.pocsports.com/products/co...medium=organic

    I think they're absolutely absurd looking and will be keeping my eye out for a pair being worn in the wild.
    While I don't doubt that those things are nice when the weather is super shitty, muddy rides pretty much destroy everything. Clothes are basically getting sandblasted for hours on end. There's no fucking way I'd spend $500 on bike clothing that's realistically going to last for maybe 30 rides before it's completely trashed.

  13. #6213
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    1,588
    I have an old 9 speed xtr spider derailleur. The one with the Carbon pulley guides. I actually have two. because when the derailleur pulley guides wore out last time I bought another. Have any of you found a good replacement for the pulley guides? I'd like to swap it out. Don't really care about weight, and actually would prefer aluminum or even steel after wearing out two of the carbon ones.

    Any ideas?

  14. #6214
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    18,614
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    I have an old 9 speed xtr spider derailleur. The one with the Carbon pulley guides. I actually have two. because when the derailleur pulley guides wore out last time I bought another. Have any of you found a good replacement for the pulley guides? I'd like to swap it out. Don't really care about weight, and actually would prefer aluminum or even steel after wearing out two of the carbon ones.

    Any ideas?
    I have a XTR rear derailleur if you're interested, 9-speed, looks like this - but don't remember if it's long or medium cage.

    https://aroundthecycle.com/products/...32499037241404
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  15. #6215
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars
    Posts
    3,568
    Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Speaking of bike wear, my buddy who works at shop showed me these "mtb dungarees" that his shop is stocking. The POC rep said they've sold one pair in the Northeast so far. I honestly thought they were a joke at first but they're very real.

    https://na.pocsports.com/products/co...medium=organic

    I think they're absolutely absurd looking and will be keeping my eye out for a pair being worn in the wild.
    Holy fuck!

    "$600.00
    or 4 interest-free payments of $250.00 with Afterpay"

    Interest free! Sounds great!

  16. #6216
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    5,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    ^ you have to understand the Swedes and their weather to understand this design.
    With only 6-1/2 days of sunny summer weather, they will ride their bikes is all conditions.
    Exactly. Working in this industry means that we constantly hear the needs of the fringe cases. The question is, can you sell enough for it to be commercially viable?

    Often times not, which is why product regresses to the middle. We make our true money off product that sells in Seattle and in Colorado. Typically this leads to consumers complaining the product companies are not addressing their specific needs.

    It's the same issue with the thread about ski width < 110mm in tech talk. Everyone lusts and reads the reviews and gets excited by the next super-fat ski. But despite their popularity in the sub-culture of TGR, not that many people actually buy them. Or, if they do, it's a quiver ski that they hold onto year over year or trade on the secondary market. But, that's not where the general, every-day, ski shop makes their money.

    This niche market opens the door to smaller, more nimble, (often) direct to consumer brands to fill the vacuum. They produce smaller runs and have (potentially) higher margins (because of DTC sales). Often these smaller companies can cover the need of that market segment. A big company HAS to make thousands or the factory won't give them an opening, so there's no room for them to play.

    This niche market also opens the door to a market with fewer, more wide-reaching retailers because they can push out smaller shops who can't compete with their vast inventory. This is Backcountry, EVO, Amazon, etc. As they pick up market share, they can carry more fringe products. Soon, this is the primary place consumers look because most of the stock is sold through these behemoths.

    So, frankly, I applaud POC for taking a swing. They created a product to excel at something; hopefully, for them, they sell enough to keep them in their line because despite it making no sense to the majority of consumers, it'll make some quite happy.

  17. #6217
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    31,224
    I bet you could get a local seamstress to streamline the legs of some bibs that still have ‘decent enough’ waterproofing for less than $100…
    Forum Cross Pollinator

  18. #6218
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,064
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I bet you could get a local seamstress to streamline the legs of some bibs that still have ‘decent enough’ waterproofing for less than $100…
    Or just wear some stretchy gaiters. Or maybe that would make you look too much like a Mountaineer

  19. #6219
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    11
    I am running a Sram GX rear derailleur 12 speed that had been running well most of the summer. Now it is making a sort of clicking sound in the two largest cogs while under load on steep terrain. It isn't quite the clicking of a chain trying to shift into or out of a gear but not making it, it is more subtle.

    It sounds and shifts great in the stand. On the trail in those cogs it sounds smooth when the terrain is more mid-grade, but once it steepens it comes back consistently.

    B-gap has been reset with the sram tool. Hanger just checked with the DAG tool. Indexing seems ok with the smooth shifting, but I am newer to tuning bikes.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks for the help!

  20. #6220
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    11,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer123 View Post
    I am running a Sram GX rear derailleur 12 speed that had been running well most of the summer. Now it is making a sort of clicking sound in the two largest cogs while under load on steep terrain. It isn't quite the clicking of a chain trying to shift into or out of a gear but not making it, it is more subtle.

    It sounds and shifts great in the stand. On the trail in those cogs it sounds smooth when the terrain is more mid-grade, but once it steepens it comes back consistently.

    B-gap has been reset with the sram tool. Hanger just checked with the DAG tool. Indexing seems ok with the smooth shifting, but I am newer to tuning bikes.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks for the help!
    I'd guess either the cassette or chain (or both) are worn. Chain isn't meshing smoothly and clicks as it finds its position on the teeth. This will only happen under load to start, but will get worse with time.

  21. #6221
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer123 View Post
    B-gap has been reset with the sram tool. Hanger just checked with the DAG tool. Indexing seems ok with the smooth shifting, but I am newer to tuning bikes.
    Any thoughts?
    It typically is 2 things:
    B-tension, or your worn chainring.

    B-Tension gap is very sensitive on SRAM Eagle. The B-Gap distance needs to be set with the suspension at sag. With the bike at sag, the swingarm pushes the derailleur further away from the cassette. This can add as much as 7-8 mm depending on your suspension design. The b-tension tool sets the gap at 14mm, if you set it without the bike at sag, it can end up being as afar as 21-22 mm away from the cassette.

    Chainring- When your running in the 2 largest gears it put the most cross tension on the chain, and a worn chainring will create a bit of chain suck. This can cause a clicking sound as it releases the chain on the lower portion of the chainring. SRAM tech department are saying 12 speed chains are lasting longer than 2 or 3 front chainrings. Look for a worn chainring.

    Check one of those 2 things.

  22. #6222
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Look for a worn chainring.
    What exactly is the telltale to determine when a chainring has life left vs is done?
    Or do ya just replace proactively to protect rest of drivetrain?

  23. #6223
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    25,429
    You might run 2 or 3 chains on a chainwheel but when it skips yer definatley fucked
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  24. #6224
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    You might run 2 or 3 chains on a chainwheel but when it skips yer definatley fucked
    Other way around. A 12 speed chain is lasting longer than the front chainrings.
    A typical SRAM 12 speed life is:
    Stage 1 - Original chain, original cassette, original chainring
    Stage 2 - Original chain, original cassette, 2nd chainring (Sometimes even a 3rd chainring on the original chain if you're not using the steel version)
    Stage 3 - 2nd chain, 2nd cassette, 3rd chainring
    Stage 4 - 2nd chain, 2nd cassette, 4th chainring

  25. #6225
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    25,429
    interesting, I have always worn out the chains first then the small or middle chain rings start to skip, big ring almost never,

    but it does make sense the front ring would wear > the rest of the drive train

    I havent had a chance to wear out a 1x but that is coming on the E-bike
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-08-2021 at 01:50 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •