Page 114 of 532 FirstFirst ... 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 ... LastLast
Results 2,826 to 2,850 of 13298

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Coconut, and ONLY coconut!
    I used to really like you.

Which one is your jam?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Coconut, and ONLY coconut!
    I fuckin' love La Croix, but the Coconut is an abomination. If I had to pick a favorite it would be Key Lime.

Which one is your jam?
    Well not coconut.

Ok, to answer your question you get a sob story. I'm on a surf trip maybe 5 years ago and I start having stomach pains. Keeps getting worse, but I keep up the beer and the good food and the advil. Finally I listen to the body, stop everything for a couple days, no food at all, get a bit better, head down to the beach, have some advil and a brat. Bam. A day later I'm in the MRI machine. So so so much pain. Inflamed stomach lining - kinda like a full stomach ulcer. Awesome!

Long story short, not really any lifestyle changes, but no more advil, be careful with tomato based sauces, especially spicy ones, and, believe it or not, no sparkling water. Which sucks, cause I used to drink tons of it. In the end, though I can't complain. I think advil actually caused it, now I'm sensitive to a couple of things, no big deal. But now days, my favorite LaCroix flavor is apparently Hazy IPA. "Doctor's orders, man, nothing I can do."
    Last edited by EWG; 11-16-2020 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I saw those on FB. It's a solid deal that I considered. I think the "offset" refers to the asymmetrical rims, so I don't think dishing would be an concern. My gravel bike is has 12mm axles, though, so I'd have to buy the adapters etc. If yours is QR it would work easily.
    This. The rim is asymmetrical and offset, but is still dished on center. Unless something really goofy is going on, nothing will need to be re-dished.

Yes, re-dishing a wheel is easy. No, you will not need to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I fuckin' love La Croix, but the Coconut is an abomination. If I had to pick a favorite it would be Key Lime.
    More for me. Win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    This whole re-dishing thing is confusing me, and all I see is headaches ahead for you.
    1. Is Canfield saying the don’t want wheels properly dished? Do they want the wheel to collapse on you? Is the tolerance so retarded on the bike that it doesn’t fit a normal wheel? If so, I see tire clearance issues in your future.
    2. Machine built wheel, possibly with some kind of thread lock and alloy nipples. So you’re gonna think you’re loosening/tightening and all you’ll get is the sudden loud pop as the wind up releases. Unless of course you strip out the alloy nipples first.
    3. This all assumes it was properly dished with well balanced spoke tension in the first place.
    4. I don’t see much value in a pre-boost QR wheel set. If you want it, and have the cash, then great. But you’ll never sell those wheels or hubs. Standards changes fucked the wheel game.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    What started as a parts bin klunker rebuild of my 2012 Nimble9 has morphed into a bike I can ride to work and do some recreational gravel races with.

I asked Canfield about the dishing because I came across a wheel set for sale that was said to be offset 2.6 mm. I’ve realized that its the rim that has offset spoke holes and not actually offset from the hub. (I could be wrong about this, its still a bit confusing to me.)

Going to run 700x50 Gravelkings, so tire clearance will not be an issue. Ive had 2.4 Ardents on it with clearance.

If the frame cracks I’ll just buy a Surly Straggler and swap the parts over.

Im looking at $750 to get this franken-bike going. Compared to building something from scratch.

Im don’t mean to takeover this thread about a parts bin bike.

Coconut and vanilla LaCroix ftw

Ooh, I have never had vanilla LaCroix!

EDIT: You bastard, they don’t actually make such a thing, from what I can see.
    I was so excited.

Ooh, I have never had vanilla LaCroix!

EDIT: You bastard, they don’t actually make such a thing, from what I can see.
    I was so excited.
    Oops Polar makes the Vanilla

I have had the vanilla orange...

sounds likely its just the rim thats offset and no need to adjust spokes, but if it is needed a full spoke turn (alternating spoke directions) will move the rim roughly 4mm, ive done this dozens of times on my sx trail which has a 5mm offset

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I used to really like you.
    Yeah, this definitely changes things.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I gotta be me.
    The cool thing is that people would bring me cases at the ski shop, and no-one else would drink it.
    All mine!

The funny thing is that I can’t stand actual coconut water...

My GG Pedalhead is actually dished like 3mm to the drive side ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I have had the vanilla orange...
    Get Polar, better than that lacroix trash.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    My GG Pedalhead is actually dished like 3mm to the drive side ...
    Non-drive side, I believe... at least that's what all the new "Revved" frames require.

This explains things.

Ask the experts

I gotta be me.
    The cool thing is that people would bring me cases at the ski shop, and no-one else would drink it.
    All mine!

I’m definitely bringing you some when I’m in town. If only out of morbid curiosity.

Speaking of experts... just watched a lady on the news explain how Missoula construction is disenfranchising cyclists by not painting bike arrows during said construction. She says since she is an "expert" she can deal with people honking etc.

Then a clip of her riding through said construction shows her expertly riding her commuter in front of multiple cars with her sweet kickstand down......

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    What started as a parts bin klunker rebuild of my 2012 Nimble9 has morphed into a bike I can ride to work and do some recreational gravel races with.

I asked Canfield about the dishing because I came across a wheel set for sale that was said to be offset 2.6 mm. I’ve realized that its the rim that has offset spoke holes and not actually offset from the hub. (I could be wrong about this, its still a bit confusing to me.)

Going to run 700x50 Gravelkings, so tire clearance will not be an issue. Ive had 2.4 Ardents on it with clearance.

If the frame cracks I’ll just buy a Surly Straggler and swap the parts over.

Im looking at $750 to get this franken-bike going. Compared to building something from scratch.

Im don’t mean to takeover this thread about a parts bin bike.

Coconut and vanilla LaCroix ftw

Seems like this is all confusion about semantics of offset rim and wheel dish. I had an old Yelli Screamy (same bike, alloy version) and there was no issue with wheel dish or tire clearance. My guess is, the wheelset will be totally fine. To confirm, you're best off just taking it to your LBS and having them quickly confirm it's properly dished (ie the rim is centered on the hub regardless of where the spoke holes are) They should be able to check that for you in 1 minute. If it's way off, you should probably have them re-dish and re-tension the wheelset for you. I say that because if any rim is built out of dish, it means the wheelbuilder doesn't understand basic wheelbuilding. And they probably also don't understand things like radial true and balancing spoke tension.

Why don't you guys have a SodaStream? Cheaper, more convenient, better for the environment...........
    However many are in a shit ton.

Why don't you guys have a SodaStream? Cheaper, more convenient, better for the environment...........
    I don't think that's certified for coconut.

I have multiple offset wheelsets. All are offset rims designed to reduced driveside dish (which is not a bad idea, really) but still have centered rims on hubs. I don't know of any offset rim-out-of-center wheels. That would be weird.

Actually that's not true. I know of a few rear wheels that buddies messed up so bad they ENDED UP offset, though not on purpose. Makes for funny road turns...

SodaStream requires proprietary bottles and CO2 canisters. I built this for my GF last year. She drinks like 2L of fizzy water a day and we're still on the first CO2 fill (which costs $20 IIRC). The whole setup cost like $100, and most of that is the bottle. It will carbonate anything we put into the random Perrier bottles we find in the recycling bin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201117_073855.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	348346
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    SodaStream requires proprietary bottles and CO2 canisters. I built this for my GF last year. She drinks like 2L of fizzy water a day and we're still on the first CO2 fill (which costs $20 IIRC). The whole setup cost like $100, and most of that is the bottle. It will carbonate anything we put into the random Perrier bottles we find in the recycling bin.
    How much pressure do those perrier bottles tolerate? Did you have to find out the hard way? I imagine you pressurize the 1st step of the regulator then close then main and use the 2nd valve to slowly pump CO2 in the bottle?
    I'm curious as Ms Boissal uses the SodaStream a lot and the cost of refills drives me up the wall. We run through 50 lbs CO2 tanks on a weekly basis in the lab and the refills cost about 1/10th of what she pays to exchange one of her micro bottles...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Is it though? At Costco pricing cans are like 25 cents each, they're right there in the fridge all the time flavored cold and ready to drink or throw in a cooler, and aluminum is infinitely recyclable.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    How much pressure do those perrier bottles tolerate? Did you have to find out the hard way? I imagine you pressurize the 1st step of the regulator then close then main and use the 2nd valve to slowly pump CO2 in the bottle?
    I'm curious as Ms Boissal uses the SodaStream a lot and the cost of refills drives me up the wall. We run through 50 lbs CO2 tanks on a weekly basis in the lab and the refills cost about 1/10th of what she pays to exchange one of her micro bottles...
    The output is what the regulator is for, and she routinely turns it up to over 50psi. She likes her water exxxtra fizzy. We've been using the same bottles in rotation for months.

We carbonated some white wine a while back.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201117_104549.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	348378
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.