Page 155 of 524 FirstFirst ... 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,875 of 13089

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Speaking of poison oak ... and Dawn
    I always have a little 4 oz squeeze tube filled with Dawn either in my shower or in my car on road trips specifically for poison oak. A little bit of dawn plus washcloth and a lot of vigorous scrubbing - zero PO rash.

Just dripping some on a wet washcloth at the back of the car/truck, then surface rinsing with a squeeze water bottle or bladder and a clean washcloth after a ride is really damn effective.

But I’m sure soaking my body in a hot tub full of wax would prevent the need to ever wipe off the urishiol...
    Two years ago we met up with some people in Santa Cruz and their protocol was to prophylacticly put Tecnu on all exposed skin before riding.

Ask the experts

My protocol for poison ivy is to convince myself every year that it’s not that bad, then get it and realize it’s awful, spend a few weeks with a constant, shifting rash, and finally do something about it once it’s starting to die down.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    It sounds like you're not using insert compatible valves. Get some of the Cushcore valves and it'll solve your problem.
    I'm not using special valves, but that is because Tannus is not supposed to require them. It's possible I didn't get the little vent holes lined up, though I tried my best to make sure I did

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    My protocol for poison ivy is to convince myself every year that it’s not that bad, then get it and realize it’s awful, spend a few weeks with a constant, shifting rash, and finally do something about it once it’s starting to die down.
    Poison ivy sucks. One thing that helps with the itching is to use a hairdryer on it. It will itch like crazy while your using the hairdryer, but will give you 3-4 hours of relief. This also seems to help it not spread as much in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Two years ago we met up with some people in Santa Cruz and their protocol was to prophylacticly put Tecnu on all exposed skin before riding.
    Never heard of doing that. I wonder if it works. The bottom line with all the poison stuff is you need to scrub the hell out of it with soap, water, and a washcloth post ride. Regular soap works about the same as the fancy stuff. It's the elbow grease that does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    It's Rx-only, but clobetasol ointment works really, really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I live about an hour north of SC, and have never heard of that. We get a bumper crop of poison oak each year, to the point where whole hillsides appear red. When we dig, we just make sure to cover up (pants, long sleeves, gloves), then scrub with blue Dawn in the shower afterwards. It works better than Tecnu, and is cheaper.

Ask the experts

I think the first trail we rode in Santa Cruz was actually called “the poison oak trail”

I’m immune to it....husband, not so much
    skid luxury

2:1 mix of clobetasol ointment and queso makes a good tire sealant as well as a poison oak rash salve

Does anyone else have to put absurdly high PSI into their DPX2. My shock pumps only go up to 300psi and i'm there. Shock still doesn't have enough support. I've tried cycling the shock as I add pressure. Just too fat maybe

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Does anyone else have to put absurdly high PSI into their DPX2. My shock pumps only go up to 300psi and i'm there. Shock still doesn't have enough support. I've tried cycling the shock as I add pressure. Just too fat maybe
    Aren't these shocks supposed to max at 300 psi anyway? Maybe your shock pump is trying to save your from an explosive doom...

That being said I'm running mine at 265 lbs with a 0.4 volume spacer, I'm 180 lbs kitted, and the thing is still on the squishy side of squishy (I like it that way). Depending on leverage curve I could see needing very high pressures without being a hog.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

My ever prepared boy scout riding buddy brings a Tupperware container pre mixed with soap and wash cloth for parking lot beer & bath time. I chuckle but then end up in prednisone once or twice a summer.

I have carried baby or alcohol wipes if I think of it and prepare, but the elbow grease and scrub is the best way regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    My digestive tract had led me to believe that queso was self sealing.
    This joke deserves recognition

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    I wasn’t aware it was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I wasn’t aware it was a joke.
    Its funny cuz its true

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    Well this was certainly a new one for me..
    I pulled out the valve core so I could add some sealant without breaking the bead and.... air did not come out. Put a spoke down through the valve itself, pushed against what I'm assuming was the insert, and air came out (along with a spray of sealant). Let as much air out as I could without making too much of a mess but then when I went to inject more sealant, it wouldn't go in. Didn't have time to investigate further so just cleaned things up, put the valve core back and added some air for now.
    Tire held air overnight with minimal/no pressure loss. This would make more sense to me had even a small amount of air been leaking at the valve, but as much as I like understanding what's going on with my bike, I'm inclined to just let this be and stop fussing with it. I'm sure I'll thank myself later when stuck trailside with the a flat but not flat tire

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Anyone have a link, info, or know about installing a longer air shaft but keeping the same travel as before in a 2018+ Fox 36 to increase the negative air spring volume?

The modification approximates the higher negative volume of 2021+ forks. You install a 170mm air shaft, for example, but keep the existing 160mm travel. I read about it last fall on, I think, empty beer and there were instructions on Fox's site but I haven't had much luck finding the write-up this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Anyone have a link, info, or know about installing a longer air shaft but keeping the same travel as before in a 2018+ Fox 36 to increase the negative air spring volume?

The modification approximates the higher negative volume of 2021+ forks. You install a 170mm air shaft, for example, but keep the existing 160mm travel. I read about it last fall on, I think, empty beer and there were instructions on Fox's site but I haven't had much luck finding the write-up this morning.
    I don’t think this works. The travel you get is determined by the length of the air shaft and the position of the positive/negative transfer dimple. A longer air shaft will simply give you more positive travel but does not change the negative volume.

You could look into the Vorsprung Luftkappe to get more negative volume.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I don’t think this works. The travel you get is determined by the length of the air shaft and the position of the positive/negative transfer dimple. A longer air shaft will simply give you more positive travel but does not change the negative volume.

You could look into the Vorsprung Luftkappe to get more negative volume.
    This is correct. You could also probably add a spacer between the topout bumper and negative spring plate to increase the negative chamber volume as you described, then add an MRP Fulfill valve (basically replaces the foot stud with a Schrader valve, so you set negative air pressure independently) but without that, the negative chamber won't pressurize correctly.

I'm guessing the discussion you're referencing was about the ~2015 vintage forks, which didn't use a dimple for negative pressure equalization, so you could basically do what you're describing.

A couple pages ago in the midst of the chain fiasco somebody said they wash their bike with Simple Green.

Be careful, Simple Green is corrosive to aluminum. Shouldn’t be a problem if you rinse quickly, but don’t soak nice-looking aluminum parts in a strong solution of SG (like a dirty Dura Ace derailleur or something).

I think people are liking Dawn

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Which model brakes? I just ordered some guide rsc levers for my hei hei, which came with guide R. They've been bled twice and gotten new pads since I got it in august and they're still really mediocre- weak, with a lot of pull required. In contrast, the rscs on my hardtail are old and beat to shit and have much better engagement and power. I think the "swing link" deal, and the bearings instead of bushings, and being able to dial the contact adjust right up so they engage more quickly is all the difference.

I was really close to ordering shimano xt or xtr 4-pots last fall but I missed that boat, and G2s don't seem readily available either, so we'll just try to polish these turds I guess.
    Tracked down the person who mentioned them and they gave me a link:
    https://www.matter-replicator.com/pr...eslackinators/

Anyone running a hotdog roller in their shop? Seems more practical than cheese fondue.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Anyone running a hotdog roller in their shop? Seems more practical than cheese fondue.
    I’ve got a deep fryer. I lightly batter my chain and cables in egg white and bread crumbs then fry until golden brown. Also makes killer corn dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    I’ve got a deep fryer. I lightly batter my chain and cables in egg white and bread crumbs then fry until golden brown. Also makes killer corn dogs.
    Absolutely terrible idea. Does not go well with queso.