Page 252 of 524 FirstFirst ... 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 ... LastLast
Results 6,276 to 6,300 of 13092

Thread: Ask the experts

Minion DHF 2.3 front, Dissector rear... maybe an Aggressor 2.3 rear.

I have a Rekon on the rear of my Spur and I'm not a fan.

I also ran a Butcher (more or less a DHF) with a Bonty XR3 rear which was pretty good for long miles while still have some decent side knobs. Definitely felt the weight inefficiency at mile 30 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    ^^ 404

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Weird, works fine from my other computer. It's a Spur with an EXT Storia & Helm fork.

And yes running something super XC on this bike is pretty silly, but he asked about efficiency and that’s what he’s getting from two XC racers/former from Jamal and I.
    All I'm saying is that in the catalog the EXO Dissector weighs less than the 2.4WT EXO Rekon he was considering. Maybe the rolling resistance makes up for it, but there may not be much efficiency gained by going Rekon.

Knobs are way lower profile on the rekon vs dissector. And in 29" the same tire is 60-90g lighter for the rekon.

Patrol is 27.5.

Thinking about this more, what are the odds that Patrol + <800 g tires + 50 mile ride = miles of walking?

that's not what the pages I'm looking at say

https://www.maxxis.com/us/tire/rekon/
    https://www.maxxis.com/us/tire/dissector/

27.5 x 2.4 3c/exo/tr rekon - 834g
    27.5 x 2.4 3c/exo/tr dissector - 889g

It's not a huge difference either way, I just think rekon rear would roll noticeably better than a dissector but still have reasonable grip for a rear tire. But also there doesn't seem to be a 27.5x2.4 exo+ rekon

This is so weird, I was looking at those exact links earlier and the weights were different.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Thinking about this more, what are the odds that Patrol + <800 g tires + 50 mile ride = miles of walking?
    High.

The suspension is gonna write checks that those tires can't cash.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Yeah, tires will help, but at the end of the day 27.5 and suspension/geo that isn't a super firm pedaling platform is the biggest killer here.

Dumb question of the day. What is that bolt in the bb at about the 1:25-30 mark?

https://youtu.be/Zfv4890jyH8

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Dumb question of the day. What is that bolt in the bb at about the 1:25-30 mark?

https://youtu.be/Zfv4890jyH8
    It puts friction on the BB/crank to reduce/slowdown the spin. It helps with no footer tricks or kick flip tricks, so the cranks dont spins too fast.
    At 4:35 you can see them re-adjusting it, once the chain and drivetrain are fully installed.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    High.

I'm gonna agree with this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    It puts friction on the BB/crank to reduce/slowdown the spin. It helps with no footer tricks or kick flip tricks, so the cranks dont spins too fast.
    At 4:35 you can see them re-adjusting it, once the chain and drivetrain are fully installed.
    Thank you. I did see the adjustment afterwards, but still didn't know exactly what was going on! Makes complete sense to get that dialed.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Just going to leave this here to muddy the waters:
    https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/e...76/setup,44714
    Full-dentist with a side of trust fund. Wow.

Full-dentist with a side of trust fund. Wow.
    All that effort/money and I can’t get past the mismatched brake lines…and the kink in the rear line.
    That bike is dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    All that effort/money and I can’t get past the mismatched brake lines…and the kink in the rear line.
    That bike is dumb.

Yeah. I wasn't advocating he do it, just thought it was funny that same day this discussion was posted, I saw someone who'd gone the opposite direction with a Spur.

After posting, I realized maybe this should have gone in the Tires thread? Oh well. Anyway, I really appreciate the comments and suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Minion DHF 2.3 front, Dissector rear... maybe an Aggressor 2.3 rear.

I have a Rekon on the rear of my Spur and I'm not a fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Dissector front, Ardent Race rear? Big days have big descents. Anything too XC is going to take the fun out of that bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Might as well try it- faster, lighter tires make a huge difference. I love how xc tires roll, and go back and forth on my hei hei (120mm f/r). So it goes from something I can race on to a pretty decent trail bike. For spring xc season it's been vittoria barzo/mezcal.

Right now it has a dhf and aggressor, which definitely don't pedal as well but going down is night and day especially since the vittorias were worn out.

Next year for trail tires I might try those new vittoria syerras or 2.4 dissector/rekon. I didn't particularly like 2.25 rekons that came on my bike but the 2.4 has bigger knobs and comes in exo+ and seems like it would go well with the dissector. Should be, lighter, faster, and higher volume than the dhf/aggressor.
    Maxxis would say Ardent Race or Rekon up front and Ikon out back if you're really going for efficiency. I'm a huge fan of the graphine Mezcal for long/fast miles. Did that on rear with an Ardent Race which I'm a fan of up-front. Also Exo would be more in line with that kind of mileage, but you liekly have enough sharp rocks to go Exo+. Dissector Rekon would be a bit more trail vs XC oriented.
    Rekon/Ikon on a Patrol running a 38/Storia feels beyond silly. I'd probably run Dissector/Dissector, 3C/EXO up front (787 g) and 3C/EXO+ rear (877 g), or the 3C/EXO F/R if you're feeling lucky and insist on counting every gram. Rekon rear doesn't seem to have much tangible benefit over the Dissector; the catalog lists the 27.5 2.4WT 3C/EXO flavor as 830 g not 760 g and it doesn't look like it should roll that much faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    that's not what the pages I'm looking at say

https://www.maxxis.com/us/tire/rekon/
    https://www.maxxis.com/us/tire/dissector/

27.5 x 2.4 3c/exo/tr rekon - 834g
    27.5 x 2.4 3c/exo/tr dissector - 889g

It's not a huge difference either way, I just think rekon rear would roll noticeably better than a dissector but still have reasonable grip for a rear tire. But also there doesn't seem to be a 27.5x2.4 exo+ rekon

Sounds like:
    Front - DHF, Dissector, Ardent Race, Rekon in order of aggressiveness (more or less)
    Rear - Dissector, Aggressor (?), Ardent Race, Ikon

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Yeah, tires will help, but at the end of the day 27.5 and suspension/geo that isn't a super firm pedaling platform is the biggest killer here.
    Patrol is 27.5.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    High.

I've done some long rides on this Patrol and on my former '17 alloy Patrol on Exo DHF/DHR2 (e.g., Rose to Toads - 65miles, 8k climb, 10k descend). But I was damn tired by the end.

Miles of walking most likely to result from me breaking a wheel, which has definitely happened haha. Hence the alloy wheels Hopefully, I would be smart enough to not pin it...but that seems unlikely.

I'd probably just close (or nearly) the LSC and give'r - give'r some extra chamois butter.

Thanks for the good times in tire talk!
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Yeah. I wasn't advocating he do it, just thought it was funny that same day this discussion was posted, I saw someone who'd gone the opposite direction with a Spur.
    Yeah man, my heckling was not in any way aimed at you….solely at that dumbcountry bike.

What's the hivemind's top choice for an affordable 27.5 rear wheel? Specs are: Boost 148, compatible with a steel HG free hub body, durability takes precedence over weight because it's going on the back of a new alloy patrol. I don't care about points of engagement. This bike is heavy enough that I'm happy to walk it up anything where that might make a difference.

Also, if somebody wants to sell/trade me a wheel that fits that description, I'm all ears. I've got the OEM takeoff Shimano MT410-B rear wheel that I'd love to use, but as far as I can tell, they only make micro spline drivers for that hub, and I need HG. My partner needs her old rear wheel back to sell her bike, so it's time for me to shop around.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    What's the hivemind's top choice for an affordable 27.5 rear wheel? Specs are: Boost 148, compatible with a steel HG free hub body, durability takes precedence over weight because it's going on the back of a new alloy patrol. I don't care about points of engagement. This bike is heavy enough that I'm happy to walk it up anything where that might make a difference.

Also, if somebody wants to sell/trade me a wheel that fits that description, I'm all ears. I've got the OEM takeoff Shimano MT410-B rear wheel that I'd love to use, but as far as I can tell, they only make micro spline drivers for that hub, and I need HG. My partner needs her old rear wheel back to sell her bike, so it's time for me to shop around.
    If I we’re you I’d just get whatever Industry9 prebuilt has 1/1 hubs or DTSwiss prebuilt has 350 hubs…

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

A DT Swiss 1700 series wheel would be a good choice. M1700 or EX1700. The older versions before the new Star Ratchet are solid and cheap. DT gets my vote for best aluminum rim. XM 481 rims of EX 471 rims to 350 hubs are the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post

I got a Rockshox Reverb AXS dropper, but the side saddle clamps are a tiny bit too short for my carbon saddle rails. I like my saddle; can I use some sort of aftermarket clamps? Or am I in new-saddle territory?

The Reverb fits round (usually 7mm) and oval 7mm x 9mm carbon rails. (7 wide, 9 tall)
    Is your saddle a weird larger size, something larger than 7x9?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Side saddle clamps? Like for riding like a proper 18th century woman? Cool!